Getting a car tag renewal

1,792 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bushytailed
meinkee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have been in line for an hour, no walk in Ten cars ahead of me in my line. I wish there was a food truck parked out here. A fortune could be made!! Yes, I should have gone on line.
UmustBKidding
Yes online but I have some that can't be renewed online. Normally can't do at heb or kroger if they have expired but maybe now there is an exception. Not super worried about mine since they were not expired before the governor's extension was put in place. As far as I know the 60 day after opening time has not started yet.
montegobay
Online is the way to go. Get it inspected. Go online and do the rest. Sticker comes in a couple of weeks. Just did mine.
rsa
AG
montegobay said:

Online is the way to go. Get it inspected. Go online and do the rest. Sticker comes in a couple of weeks. Just did mine.
My wife went the online route. Everything cleared even with expired tags. Easy and quick.
MBAR
AG
You don't even have to renew currently do you? They suspended it and you have 60 days after they reinstate it to renew.
meinkee
Wow. Was unaware of that, too! The total time , from the moment I realized that I was boxed in and stuck, to driving out of the parking lot was 2 hours and 9 minutes...and there were two lines! On the plus side the clerk was friendly and efficient. Lesson learned.
Marlin39m
Isn't there an $8-$9 charge per vehicle for this? I have several tags that need to be renewed but I won't pay that much per tag.
bushytailed
AG
Went by a couple weeks ago, saw the double lines wrapped around the building, and noped out before I entered the parking lot. Went back last Monday, got there 10 minutes before they opened, and still waited an hour. THEN I was told that Quicker Sticker input the wrong VIN for my car, so I had to go get that straightened out before heading back to the tax office. Thankfully it was only a half hour wait at that point.
UmustBKidding
No there is a 1$ online discount but there is a $2 fee so I believe it cost $1 more than in person but not $8.
I think in the tax office there is a credit card fee that may be that much, but online I think that is what the $2 fee is about. I will look for my paper printout later and check back
UmustBKidding
Did they actually hand enter it? On anything thing built this century they typically scan using the software the state provides. Have been there had scan and gone to heb and it says not inspected, but it typically showed up in their system a few hours later. Not to say they did not mess it up but I have seen them blamed and its TxDMV computer systems slow to update.
Marlin39m
Thanks
MiMi
S
I have a renewal due next month and have the notice in front of me. There is a $1 discount on the 'processing and handling' fee if you renew online. No cost difference if you pay by mail (check or money order).
bushytailed
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Did they actually hand enter it? On anything thing built this century they typically scan using the software the state provides. Have been there had scan and gone to heb and it says not inspected, but it typically showed up in their system a few hours later. Not to say they did not mess it up but I have seen them blamed and its TxDMV computer systems slow to update.

I was told by QS that sometimes the scans don't enter correctly, but they also admitted fault and said they should have double checked it. It scanned as an F150, which was clearly not correct as I drive a hatchback. Both guys were very apologetic.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.