French Onion soup

3,223 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by halibut sinclair
Fonzie Scheme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What places in town serve it? Jason's Deli dropped it from their menu a while back

Never mind. Should've checked Yelp first
bcstx06
Schlotzsky's
UmustBKidding
Panera bread, wife loved Jason's hates Panera, says worse than Campbell's can and that is bad.
MiMi
S
Outback's is pretty good.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
La Riviera's was incredible, about the only reason I went.

Panera's is just ok.
nthomas99
AG
I know of no good onion soup in this town. However, if you've got some patience (let those onion cook until they're brown brown brown, and make sure and skim the all fat off the top), this one from Anthony Bourdain is dead simple to execute. My wife and I have made large batches of this a couple times during the quarantine.

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/onion-soup-les-halles-10006

And find Gruyre cheese for the top, don't settle for generic swiss or whatever. Cheapest place I've found for a big block is Sam's Club.
AggiePhil
AG
Christopher's
Mathguy64
AG
If you want to make it yourself, this is a copy of Thomas Keller's onion soup from Bouchon. It's amazing. But like all things Keller it takes a while. Plan on 5 plus hours. It says 8 onions and that's right. I use 8 large sweet onions and it fills a 5 qt enamel pot to start. It's 3 plus hours just to caramelize them down. It makes enough soup for plenty of leftovers and it's better the next day.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/thomas-kellers-onion-soup-50070897
AggiePhil
AG
Just got back from H-E-B with all the ingredients.
nthomas99
AG
AggiePhil said:

Just got back from H-E-B with all the ingredients.

Enjoy. I'm making quarantine round 3 this week. If you end up making this or any other onion soup recipe semi-regularly, a mandolin slicer is a worthwhile investment to speed things up.
aggiegal99
Anyone else miss Bennigans for this very reason?
amanda04
AG
Ozona has a pretty good french onion soup. That paired with their spinach salad was a go to for me this winter.
AggiePhil
AG
nthomas99 said:

I know of no good onion soup in this town. However, if you've got some patience (let those onion cook until they're brown brown brown, and make sure and skim the all fat off the top), this one from Anthony Bourdain is dead simple to execute. My wife and I have made large batches of this a couple times during the quarantine.

And find Gruyre cheese for the top, don't settle for generic swiss or whatever. Cheapest place I've found for a big block is Sam's Club.

Soup came out pretty good. I used sweet onions and it came out too sweet. Next time I think I'll use mostly yellow onions. Maybe a bit less balsamic vinegar too. But very good recipe!
PS3D
UmustBKidding said:

Panera bread, wife loved Jason's hates Panera, says worse than Campbell's can and that is bad.
Panera's onion soup is just a packet of cheese to be sprinkled on, not a big baked chunk of cheese like what onion soup is supposed to have.
nthomas99
AG
AggiePhil said:

nthomas99 said:

Soup came out pretty good. I used sweet onions and it came out too sweet. Next time I think I'll use mostly yellow onions. Maybe a bit less balsamic vinegar too. But very good recipe!

Glad you like it! Definitely one you can tweak pretty easily to your liking on subsequent rounds. Port and bacon are welcome additions to onion soup
FlyRod
Fonzie, checking Yelp likely would have been no help, since the departure of The Entity some years ago.

I hope you found a good source!
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Ah, The Oracle. I can't read his reviews. Gag reflex and what not.
Prophet00
AG
If only someone would bring back Fort Shiloh, greatest French onion ever!
Wicked Good Ag
In terms of old school no longer available it goes
la Riveria >>>>Oxford Street >>> Bennigans >>> Ft Shiloah

and add to it like everyone else Panera's is worse then any place I have ordered it from
AgTrip
The Texan had the most amazing French onion soup! Anyone remember that place off South college and villa Maria?
gooberhead
AG
The Texan was the fancy-schmancy back in my day. You didnt spend that kind of dough unless you had a serious date (or mom and dad were paying for it)!!!
halibut sinclair
The Texan was our go-to special occasion spot back in the 90s.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.