Thread for A&M in the Fall, because staff cleaned up the ISD thread (properly)

12,911 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FlyRod
lost my dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So who thinks A&M will open in the fall? Will there be enough Maroon and White masks for 25 by 25? More importantly, will there be riots when season ticket holders are told Kyle Field can only have 30% capacity, and they can only go to every third game?
cavscout96
AG
lost my dog said:

So who thinks A&M will open in the fall? YES

Will there be enough Maroon and White masks for 25 by 25? If there is money to be made

More importantly, will there be riots when season ticket holders are told Kyle Field can only have 30% capacity, and they can only go to every third game? In real life, unlikely, on the internet...You can take it to the bank.
rsa
AG
Yepper -- A&M will be open this fall, but most likely not in the fashion we're used to.

Masks - cavscout96 nailed it on that one

Football -- if fans are allowed but in limited numbers, those who give the most $$$ on top of their ticket purchase will be the group who gets to attend.

For your consideration: let's say A&M and Blinn adopt a mix of online classes and hybrid classes for the fall, and a sizable portion of students opt for classes that allow them to be 100% online. A large portion of that group choose not to move back to College Station/Bryan since they do not have a need to be on campus. What impact do you think this will have on our local economy?
FlyRod
It's likely that a lot of local businesses are going to reevaluate the extent to which they rely on student $$$ and, if possible, adjust their business models accordingly.
jja79
AG
Since this started I've thought the student population in town full time would be reduced. It may be a harsh reality for businesses.
CaptTex
AG
Without knowing the particular financial situation of each business (apartments, duplexes and housing in general) this is going to be a **** show. Online option is attractive from a housing standpoint, pay tuition and forgo paying 700+ a month+utilities on an apartment? Bet your sweet maroon butt people are gonna be thinking that. And to me, this points to a greater problem, its kinda like the MBS situation in 07-08, those people thought nothing will ever happen and the party would go on forever, we all know it didn't. The same thing happened in Rockdale, there were plenty of opportunities to diversify away from Alcoa, but no one wanted to do that, they were slightly saved by Luminant until they too shut their units down, along with several others across the state.

Its human nature to just take the easy way of riding it until you cant, or its no longer there. But browsing this board, and talking to residents in both Bryan and College Station (proud of me Sinclair? ) it seems like residents have brought this up, however slim of a possibility, that the University may not exist or at least not at the capacity it always has, but the city governments kinda didn't do anything with the question, correct me if I'm wrong. So once housing takes a hit, so will everything else, and it will be a domino effect. Now I don't fault anyone for increasing their appetite for always wanting more involvement with the university, its a great money maker and for the most part I'm willing to bet its guaranteed money. But never asking "what if?", that seems to be the question lots of people missed, and the reason people are shaking in their boots, leveraged to the hilt and desperately needing lease agreements signed. Before all of this happened, I suspect, but am not positive, that my girlfriends apartment started accepting HUD tenants in decent numbers. Nothing against them as people or tenants, but this could point to a greater problem that they were needing to fill their rent roll with more "guaranteed money" since they couldn't readily lease units due to over saturation and even cannibalization of the market.

Or I could be full of ****, but here lately I have been thinking about this a lot more and its a very sobering thought how quickly things can turn.
Eliminatus
AG
I've asked several of my peers what they would probably do if full online is an option this fall.

Pretty predictable really.

Those who have school paid for and living expenses taken care of, by whatever means, would return. Those who pay out of pocket themselves, not gonna return.

Having the "Aggie" experience is great, but at the end of the day, it is what it is. This school is NOT cheap.
Eliminatus
AG
The one thing I wonder is how labs would be handled of online only is an option. This semester was pretty much a **** show when it came to labs. Boiled down to us watching TAs build and test circuits or run through a Rankine cycle on a steam engine.

So just wondering if the super in depth hands on lab with lab quality equipment going to have the online option too? It's one thing to watch an ethics lecture. It's another to demonstrate and experiment with an actual jet engine. I understand we had to do it this time because if the rushed circumstances but long term?
Hammerheadjim
AG
Eliminatus said:

The one thing I wonder is how labs would be handled of online only is an option. This semester was pretty much a **** show when it came to labs. Boiled down to us watching TAs build and test circuits or run through a Rankine cycle on a steam engine.

So just wondering if the super in depth hands on lab with lab quality equipment going to have the online option too? It's one thing to watch an ethics lecture. It's another to demonstrate and experiment with an actual jet engine. I understand we had to do it this time because if the rushed circumstances but long term?
Plans are underway to develop in person Engineering labs for the fall. Social distancing, masks, smaller sections, more open lab hours are all on the table. We have been tasked with doing everything possible, but safe to make it happen. You might just end up taking your lab in Zachry at 9pm or on a Sunday.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
I saw an article a couple weeks ago saying they are considering extending hours for classes from 8am - 8pm Monday through Saturday to have smaller class sizes. Not real sure how they could be considering having football if they are also thinking they need to be doing this.
techno-ag
AG
Hammerheadjim said:

Eliminatus said:

Plans are underway to develop in person Engineering labs for the fall. Social distancing, masks, smaller sections, more open lab hours are all on the table. We have been tasked with doing everything possible, but safe to make it happen. You might just end up taking your lab in Zachry at 9pm or on a Sunday.
At least they'll be in town for the labs.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
lost my dog
MaroonBloodedAg2010 said:

I saw an article a couple weeks ago saying they are considering extending hours for classes from 8am - 8pm Monday through Saturday to have smaller class sizes. Not real sure how they could be considering having football if they are also thinking they need to be doing this.
You are assuming all students will be allowed to go to the games. As Dan Patrick said, the stadium won't be full

But don't worry. Kellen Mond won't have a Saturday lecture or lab
lost my dog
techno-ag said:

Hammerheadjim said:

Eliminatus said:

At least they'll be in town for the labs.
Here's what I wonder - what does a student who has only one class or lab in-person do? If you have three or four classes online, and have to show up in-person only one or two days a week, for a few hours each time, do you decide to live in BCS or at home. If I were from Cy-Fair, the choice might be difficult.
australopithecus robustus
FlyRod said:

It's likely that a lot of local businesses are going to reevaluate the extent to which they rely on student $$$ and, if possible, adjust their business models accordingly.

It could be. It could also be that many businesses are pivoting their business models to not appeal to the older demographic anymore.

The fear of covid by the 60 plus crowd is very real. Also, based on many comments on this board, that fear is common on some level across all lines except one, the students. Although the student population may be reduced, it seems they will, more than ever, be the majority out spending $ on food, drink etc.
Oogway
Some will depend upon how far the student has progressed in number of hours I would guess. In addition, has a lease been signed? I'm not sure what percentage of students have done so. Normally, incoming freshman can really benefit from being on campus and close to resources and social events that involve them in campus life but these aren't normal times. The tangible and intangible costs are going to be different for everyone.

Some time back, a couple of my children's classmates were moving during a CSISD rezoning and were debating about selling versus renting out their old home but I bet they don't mind that they sold it now. Not sure what the market is going to do.
montegobay
Blinn is discussing going to more 8 week courses and using the Hy-flex model. It gives the students the option of attending in person or online. No decision has been finalized.
tb9665
I saw on tv that a college is making one dorm for people that test positive to move to. Then they are monitoring them. That's for people that live on campus. Also, having one person per dorm room.
Charli
Eliminatus said:

Because of online labs - dropped my students an entire letter grade. Biggest complaint I had was "labs just do not make sense without doing them" yep! they were designed as complete hands on learning tools. It did not matter how many times they watched the video experiment or other youtube experiments - students just missed out. If it takes smaller lab sizes or odd hours, the so be it.
Scruffy
AG
Charli said:

Eliminatus said:

Because of online labs - dropped my students an entire letter grade. Biggest complaint I had was "labs just do not make sense without doing them" yep! they were designed as complete hands on learning tools. It did not matter how many times they watched the video experiment or other youtube experiments - students just missed out. If it takes smaller lab sizes or odd hours, the so be it.
So you dropped your students a letter grade because they couldn't complete the labs?
The labs the school said they couldn't attend?
Be prepared for some fights. I've seen grade fights and discussions with deans over much less.
Carnwellag2
Quote:

Because of online labs - dropped my students an entire letter grade.
HUH?

stay anonymous
cavscout96
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

Quote:

HUH?

stay anonymous
this COULD be read as a response to the prior poster.... "this semester was a $%#! show"

response

- because of online labs (period). My class average dropped an entire letter grade (because the online labs were so horrendous and they couldn't get the synthesis needed to score higher on quizzes/exams)

I'm not SURE that's what he meant, but I can't imagine a prof would arbitrarily penalize a student for lab grades because they were online.

another possibility:

yes labs were conducted online. Students "attended," but weren't really paying much attention. Accordingly, their lab reports stunk and they didn't learn what they needed to take into exams/quizzes, etc.

the response was pretty minimal, so hard to determine. The worst-case though looks pretty outlandish, and I can;t imagine a prof would do that, let alone post it on a public forum. I've seen crazier stuff though.
AggieBarstool
Carnwellag2 said:

Quote:

HUH?

stay anonymous
Labs are intended to solidify the understanding of core concepts taught in lecture. Poorly conducted labs, or ones that were delivered online where they were meant for in-person enrichment, means the students exposed to the labs didn't glean the full breadth of intended material. Thus, they didn't fully understand the material presented in lecture and was reflected in their grades.

Not really that hard to understand once you think it through.
Scruffy
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Carnwellag2 said:

Quote:

HUH?

stay anonymous
Labs are intended to solidify the understanding of core concepts taught in lecture. Poorly conducted labs, or ones that were delivered online where they were meant for in-person enrichment, means the students exposed to the labs didn't glean the full breadth of intended material. Thus, they didn't fully understand the material presented in lecture and was reflected in their grades.

Not really that hard to understand once you think it through.

Not always.

Neglecting "lab participation" grades were a prof could say "they weren't 'in lab' so they don't get credit", there are "wet labs" where the student is required to perform experiments and how well they do and write it up determines the grade.
The DEA and a few other agencies frown on home use of some chemicals, along with it being difficult to acquire and perform certain dissections.
So a student may understand the concepts fully, but their grade is determined by the actions performed in lab.
If they can't perform the lab, they get a lower grade.
If they couldn't perform the lab due to the university shutting down the campus, I don't believe they should be punished with a lower grade.

Think about ENGR111/112 and building a bridge or a car (or whatever it is now they have to do).
Without class/lab time to demonstrate it meets the design goals, do they get a "fail" for that portion of their final grade?
texasaggie04
AG
Realistically I doubt football happens this fall. The country is going to be opening up at variable stages for the next few months, I'd be shocked if 100K+ people are in a single stadium. Wouldn't this be an NCAA decision?

I wonder if the NCAA is considering moving football to the spring though.
cavscout96
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Realistically I doubt football happens this fall. The country is going to be opening up at variable stages for the next few months, I'd be shocked if 100K+ people are in a single stadium. Wouldn't this be an NCAA decision?

I wonder if the NCAA is considering moving football to the spring though.

I don't think the NCAA can tell schools or leagues they can't have a game. Can they refuse to sanction a game or refuse to acknowledge the results? Sure, but if two schools agree to play a game, or multiple schools in a league, I'm not sure the NCAA can stop them.

The body is pretty much a joke and selectively enforces their own edicts anyway, so I'm pretty sure that, should the SEC chose to have league play, they would scoff at any attempt by the NCAA to prohibit it.
cavscout96
AG
As to the "will 100k show up?

Maybe not, but I bet a bunch of students would and a fair amount of grads. You might push 40-50k
FlyRod
I think a majority of those who show up for games (if they happen) will actually be the older, more at-risk alums.

What happens after that, well...
Koko Chingo
AG
I would imagine the way the NCAA can grant scholarships and give out sanctions, they have a lot of power. It would take a revolution with many schools involved to risk disobeying the NCAA.

The reality looks like the NCAA and schools are being flexible in order to get sports back on. The summer break helps. It's just really tough to make policy when each state has something different going on.
frito bandito
Koko Chingo said:

I would imagine the way the NCAA can grant scholarships and give out sanctions, they have a lot of power. It would take a revolution with many schools involved to risk disobeying the NCAA.

The reality looks like the NCAA and schools are being flexible in order to get sports back on. The summer break helps. It's just really tough to make policy when each state has something different going on.
Not sure what you mean by your first statement. The NCAA does not grant scholarships. They dole out TV and bowl revenues to the conferences, who in turn give money to individual schools. The money is the reason they can regulate the sports that conferences field.

On a related note, my son played football at a Big Ten school. The scholarship agreement we signed was a Big Ten agreement, not his schools. I assume his scholarship was paid for by the Big Ten.
LOYAL AG
AG
There's a 0% chance there's no football this fall. It's the biggest money maker in all of college athletics and the ripple effect of no football will never go away. We'll see schools dropping smaller sports left and right for several years if football doesn't happen. The loss of scholarship opportunities from no 2020 football season will take a generation to recover from. It's just not a realistic outcome. It's bad enough we're ruining people's small business livelihoods over this, we're not going to ruin a billion dollar industry over it too. I'm less committed to the idea that there will be full stadiums but there will be games.
Koko Chingo
AG
I guess I did not write the full thought in my head. The NCAA grants "the number of scholarships". Funding the scholarship is usually the least of a large schools problems. The point goes to the NCAA's power. They can even dish out sanctions harsh enough it is called the death penalty.

The number of scholarships a school can give out affects their recruiting ability greatly. Common sanctions given out by the NCAA is reducing the number of scholarships a school can give out to a specific program/programs for a period of time.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

I think a majority of those who show up for games (if they happen) will actually be the older, more at-risk alums.

What happens after that, well...

There are a couple of different surveys out right now that give the impression that the students want to come back. One can only assume that what they want to come back to is "normal-ish". Which includes the gridiron.
cavscout96
AG
Koko Chingo said:

I think the NCAA power base is actually crumbling and the leagues are pressing to get going in many cases.

Not sure the NCAA has the street cred to stop them so they'll "assent" since they really don't have any other option.
cavscout96
AG
Koko Chingo said:

I guess I did not write the full thought in my head. The NCAA grants "the number of scholarships". Funding the scholarship is usually the least of a large schools problems. The point goes to the NCAA's power. They can even dish out sanctions harsh enough it is called the death penalty.

The number of scholarships a school can give out affects their recruiting ability greatly. Common sanctions given out by the NCAA is reducing the number of scholarships a school can give out to a specific program/programs for a period of time.

They are not going to take this route on several dozen schools or an entire league. Too much money involved. They haven't issued a "death penalty" in years. PSU is the closest and I think most of it was rescinded.

96% chance of football in the fall.
Koko Chingo
AG
I think you are right. I hope 96% is low. The NCAA's authority is definitely being challenged and also taking hits. It looks like they just lost a court case today. I am not a fan of the NCAA, but do like college sports.

My guess is football and most live events will be back in the fall --- at least in Texas. We will probably have even more hoops to jump through to attend. Clear bags, a note from 3 doctors - temperature taken, blood & urine samples - lol. Football and fall sports have the benefit of watching and learning from how baseball and other live events will open up.

I just hope that whether it is sports restaurants classrooms etc that government officials and policy makers give everyone flexibility. If there is a flare up in one metro, we do not need to close the entire state.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.