Thread for A&M in the Fall, because staff cleaned up the ISD thread (properly)

12,912 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FlyRod
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cavscout96 said:

FlyRod said:

Eagle has some details about it...no mention of how they are going to address the HVAC transmission issue in clsssrooms and prolonged exposure. Hopefully they are working on it.

Serious question. Have there been documented cases of transmission through HVAC systems?

Seems like everything I'm reading is close contact / droplet
No.
FlyRod
The correct answer is "maybe." The study based on the infection in the restaurant in China concluded that "improperly functioning" AC can spread droplets around. Offices, businesses, etc all over and being asked to examine and assess their AC systems

Droplets of course are a bigger issue, esp. now that we know how long they can linger. Definitely a concern in classrooms that are being heavily used all day (and night).
Eliminatus
AG
Getting a feeling that the semester is going to be torpedo'ed for online again. Even if we initially open up the campus. Wherever you lie on the COVID spectrum, the only numbers the powers that be seem to care about is absolute cases. Which are rising and common sense dictates that it will continue to do so as we head into colder weather and flu season. Plus, we have the infrastructure now to test quickly and in large numbers. I would be shocked if there is not a "second surge" of cases as it were. Plus that many bodies in that small of an area....

So does TAMU shirk from the liability of that and cancel? Just spitballing here and have no current facts nor figures to sway me in a strong way. Just thinking out loud. Am I being pessimistic?

What spurred this is a discussion among my peers who have no idea what to do about leasing for the fall. Most of us feel not super confident that the campus will remain open the entire semester. Leaving a few out of towner, paying out of pocket students anxious.
FlyRod
What are your older and higher risk colleagues saying about this? Just curious.
lost my dog
FlyRod said:

What are your older and higher risk colleagues saying about this? Just curious.
No one knows until the provost speaks... July 1 is the day of revelation...
Eliminatus
AG
Any juicy new insider info? Tentative schedules are out and somehow there are even more questions and consternation.

GroupMes and reddit sub pages are blowing up. I checked this morning and I am now a 100% online student apparently. Super not happy about that. To put it lightly. Guess I have to wade through the bloodbath of another registration.
Gap
AG
Apparently the in-person classes may only meet in-person once a week if a M-W-F class.

Lots of students looking for lowered tuition as a result as the on-line option just isn't as valuable as in-person. They believe think they are being asked to overpay for a product worth less.

The mission of education solely revolves around the student. Is that what is leading decision making here?
lost my dog
The rule of 40% max room occupancy basically means many classes cannot meet in person, unless we start using Reed Arena and Kyle Field for instruction
FlyRod
From what I'm seeing and hearing: It looks like roughly 30-40% of classes are being face to face, rest remote/online.

I am GUESSING the constraining factor was the number of large spaces available. In our unit, one such space is the RECC center...a still in-use gym (dunno but this seems unsafe and foolish to me, but YMMV).

Looking at names and assignments, it looks like it was a random lottery, names out of a hat thing...I see some folks in our unit in their mid 70s assigned face to face, for example. Not taking questions at this time about why they haven't retired.

Units have been asked to "make adjustments" during this week and next...whatever the bureaucratic hell-speak that means.

Faculty I know and have talked with are scrambling sincerely to find ways to better the student experience as safely as possible. Admin has rigidly said classes cannot be relocated...so, for example, having groups of students outdoors in the shade...nope, off limits.

Add in a few Donald Rumsfeld "known unknowns" about what may or may not happen in the next few weeks, the new ICE ruling on intl. students, etc., maybe an attack of murder hornets for good measure, and its a cluster. For everyone.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

From what I'm seeing and hearing: It looks like roughly 30-40% of classes are being face to face, rest remote/online.

I am GUESSING the constraining factor was the number of large spaces available. In our unit, one such space is the RECC center...a still in-use gym (dunno but this seems unsafe and foolish to me, but YMMV).

Looking at names and assignments, it looks like it was a random lottery, names out of a hat thing...I see some folks in our unit in their mid 70s assigned face to face, for example. Not taking questions at this time about why they haven't retired.

Units have been asked to "make adjustments" during this week and next...whatever the bureaucratic hell-speak that means.

Faculty I know and have talked with are scrambling sincerely to find ways to better the student experience as safely as possible. Admin has rigidly said classes cannot be relocated...so, for example, having groups of students outdoors in the shade...nope, off limits.

Add in a few Donald Rumsfeld "known unknowns" about what may or may not happen in the next few weeks, the new ICE ruling on intl. students, etc., maybe an attack of murder hornets for good measure, and its a cluster. For everyone.
flagged for redundancy.....

very funny though, I like the murder hornets to top it off.
FlyRod
I almost miss that guy...
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I'm in grad school getting my masters degree. I got listed as full online in the Fall, looking at my department it seems like every non-lab class for undergrads and grads was pushed to online only. I assume I will be defending my thesis online as well.

Now I don't know whether to keep my parking pass or not. I'll graduate in December and will have to make a decision between going for a PhD starting in the Spring or entering the workforce. Don't want to throw $530 down the drain on a parking pass I'll never use, but if I stick around for another degree I don't want to lose my standing in the parking system.

This Fall will officially mark school year number 7 for me at A&M. Never thought it would end like this.
FlyRod
Not trying to give you false optimism, but this is a rapidly changing situation and I'm pretty optimistic the university will find a way to get back to normal. It's full of smart people and that's their job.

The short-term sucks...for pretty much everyone. No student or instructor I know is happy about this at all. Hang in there.
Maveric
AG
PWestAg18 said:

I'm in grad school getting my masters degree. I got listed as full online in the Fall, looking at my department it seems like every non-lab class for undergrads and grads was pushed to online only. I assume I will be defending my thesis online as well.

Now I don't know whether to keep my parking pass or not. I'll graduate in December and will have to make a decision between going for a PhD starting in the Spring or entering the workforce. Don't want to throw $530 down the drain on a parking pass I'll never use, but if I stick around for another degree I don't want to lose my standing in the parking system.

This Fall will officially mark school year number 7 for me at A&M. Never thought it would end like this.
If it is online, just cancel and use a garage or hourly parking spaces. No way you will come close to the amount you would pay that much for any campus visits you may do.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I agree 100%, but if I stay in school past December, and things get back to normal, I do use my parking spot a lot and it is worth it. I spent all of undergrad in Lot 100 and finally moved to the "right" side of the train tracks in grad school. Don't want to give that up if I decide to stay.

Basically, I need to figure my life out lol
cavscout96
AG
PWestAg18 said:

learned today that there is a difference between "remote" and "online" Not 100% sure yet on what that means, but you may want to check with your dept.
Turf96
FlyRod said:

Not trying to give you false optimism, but this is a rapidly changing situation and I'm pretty optimistic the university will find a way to get back to normal. It's full of smart people and that's their job.

You assume that this hold up has to do with a virus and not about an upcoming election. I'm not so sold as you are. If our leadership has shown anything over last month it is how far left the top leans. Wouldn't hold my breath for smart choices. Better make sure your connection speeds are ready to go boys and girls. You aren't doing anything normal until the change they want comes to daddy.

Smart people would not ever entertain the possible removal of a sculpture of its former President, yet here we are. Mark my glass half empty. This is not a smart group at all. Just a bunch of sheep in wool suits.
FlyRod
Well Sharp and Young aren't elected, and Abbott's not going anywhere, so I assume his BOR aren't either.

I don't think this is about elections. As someone quasi involved in the process, I almost wish it were at this point (cryptic expression of frustration).
Eliminatus
AG
NVM. Misread your post
AC Hopper
S
I'm curious if the following reality is part of the planning and preparation mix:

Given the current COVID-19 resurgence in Texas major urban centers, including BCS, and the likelihood that there will be no calming by the August semester begin date, my child will not be a resident student at TAMU, College Station. I'm pulling the plug and the money. It's not going to happen.
lost my dog
FlyRod said:

It shouldn't be a random thing - departments were asked to submit which classes they wanted in-person, which they wanted online, and which they were wishy-washy on. It only appears random if a department head give no thought to the list.

"make adjustments" = the provost's office couldn't figure out where to put all the classes, so if you have any good ideas, let them know.

One thing the provost's office has been clear about is that faculty cannot choose to move their classes from face to face to online without the provost's permission. They are taking seriously Sharp's promise that every student will have at least one in-person class on their schedule
lost my dog
FlyRod said:

...so, for example, having groups of students outdoors in the shade...nope, off limits.
Also, since every in-person class needs to be streamed online for students who choose not to attend in-person (and A&M has spent money to make this happen), you can't just go outside away from the cameras for your class
FlyRod
Sharp may have to reconsider those promises if the state keeps breaking 10,000 cases a day. Lots (lots) of fine print in those A&M emails about "things could change at the last minute."

Also pretty sure the provosts are aware of the implications of instructors and students getting sick/dying. I know for a fact at least two of them are deeply (deeply) worried about this, and thus likely to be flexible re last minute contingencies.

K2T2
Turf96 said:

FlyRod said:

You assume that this hold up has to do with a virus and not about an upcoming election. I'm not so sold as you are. If our leadership has shown anything over last month it is how far left the top leans. Wouldn't hold my breath for smart choices. Better make sure your connection speeds are ready to go boys and girls. You aren't doing anything normal until the change they want comes to daddy.

Smart people would not ever entertain the possible removal of a sculpture of its former President, yet here we are. Mark my glass half empty. This is not a smart group at all. Just a bunch of sheep in wool suits.

Yikes.
FlyRod
Quote:

Given the current COVID-19 resurgence in Texas major urban centers, including BCS, and the likelihood that there will be no calming by the August semester begin date, my child will not be a resident student at TAMU, College Station. I'm pulling the plug and the money. It's not going to happen.

Wise decision, and from what I'm hearing, you're not alone. This fall is going to be rough.
Eliminatus
AG
FlyRod said:

Sharp may have to reconsider those promises if the state keeps breaking 10,000 cases a day. Lots (lots) of fine print in those A&M emails about "things could change at the last minute."

Also pretty sure the provosts are aware of the implications of instructors and students getting sick/dying. I know for a fact at least two of them are deeply (deeply) worried about this, and thus likely to be flexible re last minute contingencies.

This is where I have been this whole time. The powers that be are making the right noises right now but I fully expect the rug to be pulled out too. Cases will spike. TAMU personnel will get sick and I imagine a few at risk people may pass. It's terrible but whatever your views on the COVID severity are, the projected numbers of students and staff mean that even the smallest outlier numbers of deaths means we will still see it if we do have rapid spread here. Which common sense tells me we probably will.

I can give the benefit of the doubt that on an individual level the powers are altruistic and meaningful in their desire to protect TAMU people. As a collective though, I can't help but think that it will pushed by a liability issue more than anything and that is what I think will have the utmost sway. I would love to come back to eat crow and will gladly do so, but at this time, I am not hopeful that these "last minute contingencies" will not be put into play.
FlyRod
Well, maybe only "a few" people will pass, but consider the possible ripple effects...on current classes, future recruitment, etc.

Playing the "We can afford to cull the herd" game is very, very dangerous for universities right now.

I would push back a little against the "we will see it" part though; if people actually do mask up and distance and other obvious safety procedures, no one has to be needlessly sacrificed and we can get the train back on the track.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.