School in the Fall? CSISD and BISD

13,244 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jinx
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stupe said:

Those of us with kids that get to school before sunrise, get home after dark,

That must really suck. Cant imagine doing that to my family.

Quote:

make good grades and have spent summers scheduling vacations around training think that they deserve their seasons, contests, and concerts.

Sounds like you think your opinion is more important than others.
nthomas99
AG
CS78 said:

Stupe said:

Quote:

make good grades and have spent summers scheduling vacations around training think that they deserve their seasons, contests, and concerts.

empathize much? While I'm leaning towards the ejection cord (my oldest will be going into 6th), I would probably side with what you want as far as schedule goes if we stay in CSISD.

However, I played high school football, certainly didn't have helicopter parents, and for parts of the year, that's just what the schedule is. If I've learned anything the last 2 months, the chaos of this whole thing hits every family differently. Relax.
Vulcan
CSISD is gonna need to seriously ramp up the hand washing facilities. So many were broken or just yucky and outdated.
ag009
AG
CDC Decision Tree they just released.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/Childcare-Decision-Tree.pdf
Stupe
S
You're responding to a troll post by someone that has already said they don't have kids old enough to be in school sponsored activities.
Tailgate88
AG
CS78 said:

Stupe said:

Quote:

Wow. I realize this is possibly a troll but in case it's not, I definitely have a different perspective to share. I'm on the road today but I will definitely have a response to this tomorrow.
Tailgate88
AG
Stupe said:

Those of us with kids that get to school before sunrise, get home after dark, make good grades and have spent summers scheduling vacations around training think that they deserve their seasons, contests, and concerts.

Especially the juniors and seniors to be.
Blue star for you sir.
Stupe
S
I've heard through the grapevine that coaches are hoping that summer workouts can start the first of July. That definitely isn't first hand information, but it's something.

The athletes are working hard during the Zoom strength and conditioning sessions, but those are limited to the availability of the students. For athletes in "strength" sports such as football, wrestling, power-lifting, etc.. That is not time that is needed in the weight room in order to avoid injuries.

The kids in band definitely need marching time in order to get practice in and they need it in the heat as do the drill team and cheer leaders.

If fall sports are to be played, they have to let them get started at some point in the summer.
Oogway
Stupe said:

If fall sports are to be played, they have to let them get started at some point in the summer.

XC athletes are saying, "started? We never stopped."
Stupe
jeffk
AG
Jinx said:

Stupe said:

Those of us with kids that get to school before sunrise, get home after dark, make good grades and have spent summers scheduling vacations around training think that they deserve their seasons, contests, and concerts.

Especially the juniors and seniors to be.
Why would the change to school year affect these things? I'm genuinely curious, not trying to rile anyone up. There are plenty of extracurricular activities that had "summer camps" and that sort of thing when I was in school. Could they not continue practices and such "extra" during breaks if they went that route?

I'm interested in this as well. Any school calendar adjustment would likely be quickly followed by an adjustment from the UIL.
Stupe
S
This is a watered down version of what I've heard.

From an athletics standpoint, the biggest concern for coaches that I'm hearing is mostly due to the differing start dates, larger break times, and how seasons may end up being extended or overlapping. Obviously a lot of sports overlap, but it's still possible for multi-sport athletes to compete in several due to the limited time period of conflicting days/weeks. There are also rules in place by the UIL that limit the contact hours with students during extended breaks that would have to be addressed. The summer strength and conditioning programs and specialized sports camps to help the athletes improve would also be impacted.

In the long run, if they switch to extended calendars everything will adjust. The biggest concern is the upcoming school year and how that will affect the kids in any type of contest based activities (athletics, band, choir, debate, FFA,etc... )

Everything right now is based on the traditional school calendar, so it's cause for concern on how it will play out if that is changed.
jeffk
AG
Thanks. I'm a former HS coach so I get some of those concerns. I also think a big part of it is just fear of the unknown and having to adjust what we've been doing for ages. Coaches are a stubborn lot, myself included.
Stupe
S
I wasn't ignoring you or the poster you quoted, I was just trying to figure out how to word it where it made sense. Obviously it's more complicated, but that's the best that I could do.
jeffk
AG
No problem. It's just interesting to me. I'm not a fan of our traditional school calendar personally, so I'm always interested in hearing perspectives on what people like about it or wouldn't like about an adjusted model.
Honeybear
Amen!
Jinx
https://www.kbtx.com/content/sports/UIL-to-allow-summer-strength-and-conditioning-beginning-June-8th-570597361.html
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.