Mini-split A/C installation

4,916 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UmustBKidding
carodz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone here had a mini-split A/C installed in their garage? If so, who did it, and would you recommend their services? Looking at doing this for our garage, and even though some are marketed as DIY I would rather have someone more experienced handle it if possible.
Stupe
S
Everyone does them.
AgProgrammer
AG
I know RM Mullinix also installs them.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Garages are pretty simple and most should be able to hook up a mini split pretty easily.

EcoZapp A/C Carries Mini Splits by Mitsubishi / Trane

( Mitsubishi / Trane have moved & switched up some operations; They now have that coveted Trane logo on them with warranties and such)

www.EcoZappHVAC.com
833-924-6100

We would like to be everyones Local Aggie HVAC guys!
TxSquarebody
Installing one for a friend next week, including a new dedicated 220v line. Will let you know how easy it is.
Floor it until you see God
ukbb2003
I am with Climate Doctors and we install quite a few of these. We are Mitsubishi Diamond Dealers, so our customers get 12 year parts and 12 year compressor warranty.
AnchorFoundation
Mosqueda Cooling and Heating
https://www.mosquedacooling.com/
Tailgate88
AG
Just got a quote from a local vendor for a small mini-split install - $2600? The unit seems to sell online for < $900 so I'm not sure why so much? Are there any handymen that can do something like this? I was hoping to spend around $1200 or so. Do I have unreasonable expectations?
GrimesCoAg95
AG
The system is not that hard to install, but you do need to pull a vacuum on the lines.

I just had one installed. I bought it online and had a local a/c company install it. They also do electrical so they ran the 220v circuit for me. I know that $900 looks low, but you have also need a line set, pad, disconnect, wiring, breakers, etc. I think I had around $200-$250 in these supplies. Add the labor in, and I still saved money. But you are not doing this for $1200 on a good unit.
Stupe
S
Tailgate88 said:

Just got a quote from a local vendor for a small mini-split install - $2600? The unit seems to sell online for < $900 so I'm not sure why so much? Are there any handymen that can do something like this? I was hoping to spend around $1200 or so. Do I have unreasonable expectations?
Tailgate88
AG
Stupe said:

Tailgate88 said:

That top ones looks about like the way I solder. The bigger the blob the better the job, amirite?
Stupe
S
Sounds about right....
carodz
AG
Who quoted you $2600? I just tried talking to Barker's and was super unimpressed after he tried to tell me they only carry ductless systems that are $5400 to install because they don't like the other, cheaper ones, and instead I should just upgrade my central A/C unit and extend it to the garage.
ukbb2003
carodz said:

Who quoted you $2600? I just tried talking to Barker's and was super unimpressed after he tried to tell me they only carry ductless systems that are $5400 to install because they don't like the other, cheaper ones, and instead I should just upgrade my central A/C unit and extend it to the garage.

If your garage has a garage door able to fit a vehicle, extending your central a/c system to the garage would be against code.
carodz
AG
I just figured it was a stupid idea and an opportunity to introduce fumes to the rest of the house.
ukbb2003
Our price for a 12,000 Btu Mitsubishi wall mount would be around $3k.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
If you add a supply register to the garage, you create negative pressure in the house. Where is that air going to come from? If you add a return to the garage, you are pulling fumes and hot air in the summer or cold air in the winter. The garage is absolutely not inside the building envelope. Even if code allowed this, it is a horrible idea.

Go with either a Daikin or Mitsubishi and expect to pay around $3k.
jwhitlock3
Is that installed, or just for the unit itself?
ukbb2003
jwhitlock3 said:

Is that installed, or just for the unit itself?

Installed
jwhitlock3
Good info, thanks! Looking to do that sometime in the next year or so.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
jwhitlock3 said:

Good info, thanks! Looking to do that sometime in the next year or so.
  • If you wanted to enjoy that Mini Split this year, EcoZapp can hook up you with one made by Trane for around that price point ( or maybe less; a quick Zoom call will tell - Theres gonna be a Storm this Weekend, so our Team is doing Zoom Calls )

• Also, We'll Donate 1% or $100 in this Case to a Charity / Non-Profit of your Choice on Facebook.*

- *If you call us soon, before the Summer Cracking up in T-Minus ~14 Days, we can both Save a few $$ on a slim margin Install & Finance that bad boy to enjoy This Summer. 1/4 Day Install ;In & Out. (We'll even put it on an Amex if you want ).

legalbird
Wrong on pulling the vacuum!!!! It depends on which unit you get. If you look online, you will see various brands (not major brands). Most of these are pre-charged. This means you install the blower/head/air handler inside your work area. Then you install the condenser. Then you connect the lines from the blower/unit/air handler. There are two lines. When you connect , the freon goes!!!

There is alot of controversy about pulling a vacuum and having an AC company do the work. This is not true for the various brands you will see online.

You do need 220 so you should have electrician do that for you.
legalbird
So if you are do it yourselfer

Split AC/Heater about $1300
Electrician about $300
Your time about 3 hours

Cosmetics: Slightly ugly because the drain line/copper pipes usually hang outside
Tailgate88
AG
carodz said:

Lavco is who we use (and we have used them for over a decade and have been very pleased with them. ). Looks like I got a good quote after all so we will be moving ahead with that. I appreciate all the info.
txxwildcard
Call Marco with Air Coole, he is installing them all over town!
Fleen
Ha, he just left my house...
WheelinAg
AG
What did Marco charge you for the install?
txxwildcard
He is sending us a quote to get one installed in our garage!!!
Fleen
He is quoting us for a whole home duct replacement (1942 house), and a whole home split system install.

If we go whole home split, anyone want to by a 2 year old HVAC unit?
BVAC Services
carodz
AG
Does he take care of all the electrical as well?
Rexter
Fleen said:

He is quoting us for a whole home duct replacement (1942 house), and a whole home split system install.

If we go whole home split, anyone want to by a 2 year old HVAC unit?

Tree fiddy!
dallasiteinsa02
Mosqueda Cooling and Heating quote us $1800 two years ago for one. We ended up putting in a 2.5 ton and duct work for a little more.
betas2000
AG
I might, if I can use it on one of our rental. What size and brand?
Gig Em5014
AG
Does Climate Doctor also offer concealed indoor units?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.