Brazos County Appraisal - cross posted from Real Estate

3,164 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by redass89
aviationag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just received my 2020 Notice of Appraised Value and the Proposed Appraisal is $100,000 (35%) over the 2019 value.

I've never protested a property appraisal and need some advice and help: 1) what documentation is best to provide; 2) is it best to use a service; 3) if using a service, does anyone have a strong recommendation 4) what should I expect to pay for a service 5) is there a cap or maximum amount of increase a District can impose if your property is not your Homestead?

Another consideration: I live in Dallas and don't even know what the travel situation will be when a protest hearing would be scheduled. I just refinanced this house in January, expecting it to be a second home for a while and potentially a retirement location, but now I'm not so sure.

Thank you for any and all assistance.

[url=https://texags.com/forums/59/topics/3109795/next][/url]

toolshed
AG
Here's a thread last posted on a week ago. There may be some helpful info there. Good luck with fighting it, I rarely hear of people getting much if anything knocked off the adjustment.

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3108249

There's another above it about protest services but no helpful information as far as replies there.

mr83tr88
AG
Last year was the first time we protested ours. They compromised and came down some. It wasn't as much as I hoped, but much better than it could have been. We decided to accept their counter rather than appeal at a hearing.

This year's appraisal was even higher. We will appeal it again!

The best thing for you to do is find a local realtor who can pull comps for you. Then include those comps with your reasoning of why you are protesting. The online process is fairly simple.
happyinBCS
When you refinanced it was the appraisal close to what they raised the value to at Brazos CAD? Or my question is if you just refinanced it the appraisal you have is true market value so whatever it is all you would have to do is show Brazos CAD a copy of the appraisal and they will adjust your value.
aviationag
AG
The appraisal was $90K below the BCAD appraised value. I literally got a $100K increase from last year - from $350 to $450. I can't even understand how they got there. The closest price on a home in my neighborhood, which sold for cash in 2019, was about $30K more than last year's appraised value but they had done a complete remodel. The houses in my neighborhood do not turn over so there aren't many legitimate comps for my house. No one leaves....although this situation may force me to sell mine if this sort of assessment is deemed reasonable for BC.
goatchze
AG
aviationag said:

The appraisal was $90K below the BCAD appraised value. I literally got a $100K increase from last year - from $350 to $450. I can't even understand how they got there. The closest price on a home in my neighborhood, which sold for cash in 2019, was about $30K more than last year's appraised value but they had done a complete remodel. The houses in my neighborhood do not turn over so there aren't many legitimate comps for my house. No one leaves....although this situation may force me to sell mine if this sort of assessment is deemed reasonable for BC.
Check the home specs. My home magically got 400 sq ft bigger one year. No idea how or why.

Also check whether there is a pool, gazebo, shop, etc. that is showing up now that wasn't showing before.
oldag76
AG
Mine went 10% which made no sense. Called appraisal district office and they were very nice, explained that they no longer had access to MLS system so comps were missing in many areas. Texas allows you to not report sales price and MLS legally blocked them. They took my info and an appraiser called me within an hour.
My neighbor had already gotten the 3 comp sales on our street, 2 had pools, 1 was on 2 ac unique lot, all 3 were on golf course. I sent him the comps. He asked what I thought was fair. My new number was within $500 of what I told him.
In my case 65+, my taxes are capped, but fair is fair and many of my neighbors are not 65+.
I felt that BCAD folks were reasonable.
davido
AG
Same boat, over $100k. Pretty ridiculous. Property taxes in general are in the level of health insurance premiums as far as being out of control.

What else goes up double digit percentages annually?
pacecar02
I dropped my protest off today

A couple folks had dropped their envelopes in the wrong place. They put them in the mailbox with all the blank protest forms and envelopes, I moved them to the night dropbox for you.
dallasiteinsa02
pacecar02 said:

I dropped my protest off today

A couple folks had dropped their envelopes in the wrong place. They put them in the mailbox with all the blank protest forms and envelopes, I moved them to the night dropbox for you.
I noticed that too at 11 am.
montegobay
We protested online. Had a response the next day. They came down to what I requested. They had our square footage WAY off.
redass89
Dumbasses denied mine. Looks like I'm going in...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.