Crompton's predictions about TAMU

23,707 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Cholula Verde
Tigermom84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://wtaw.com/city-of-college-station-update-on-wtaw-64/

At the 8min mark, John Crompton predicts that TAMU won't open in the fall, and even further that students won't be coming back until Fall 2021. He claims to be reading tea leaves, so I'm guessing he has no foundation to make these predictions. I would think our city council should be trying to find solutions to bring students back and working with the university. I don't see how many of our local businesses would survive 18mo with no students.
Mumbo Jimbo
they wouldn't and he's likely wrong
TLIAC
AG
Did he seriously claim to be reading tea leaves or are you being sarcastic? If he did then just wow. If he didn't I think it's sad I would even possibly consider this statement to be true to start with. Neither option is good.
4lilmonkeys
TLIAC said:

Did he seriously claim to be reading tea leaves or are you being sarcastic? If he did then just wow. If he didn't I think it's sad I would even possibly consider this statement to be true to start with. Neither option is good.
He says "we all read the tea leaves differently," then says "Crompton's view of reading the tea leaves is..." and goes on to say he doesn't believe students will return.
Tigermom84
AG
Haha!! No I'm not being sarcastic... I wish I were! He said "when Crompton reads the tea leaves, he says that A&M won't open in the fall."
TLIAC
AG
Tigermom84 said:

Haha!! No I'm not being sarcastic... I wish I were! He said "when Crompton reads the tea leaves, he says that A&M won't open in the fall."
No words.
Rexter
Must be Chinese tea.....
Crompton did not say there would be no classes at TAMU, just that the students might not come back for the fall. TAMU (like many other universities) may have to continue with distance learning for the Fall 2020 semester. Students might still choose to come back to College Station to do their online classes. Or they could stay home.

I have an out of state college student and we are considering the possibility that he might not return to the west coast for the fall since it looks like they might continue online classes in August. They have already decided that summer classes will be held online so continuing into the fall is not a huge change from what is going on now.
Tigermom84
AG
No, maybe it's splitting hairs here, but his exact words were that "A&M won't open in the fall". He didn't say anything about online classes, but it doesn't matter. The point is that if students/staff don't return, our city economy, sales tax revenue, businesses, hotels etc all suffer a catastrophic blow. I just don't think that making these kind of assumptions is helpful (unless the conversation revolves around CUTTING OUR CITY'S SPENDING on dumb projects).
AgDotCom
Many of our leaders live in a vacuum.

Bear in mind this is the same councilman who gave us a "row boat" speech when advocating his reasons why council spent $254,000 to plant trees / carbon sink at University Dr. / Hwy 6.
Well consider this a catastrophic blow. We are already there with the worst still to come.
happyinBCS
Oh, all hail Lord Crompton what can we say and the people elected him again to CS council He puts up signs in the ditch in front of his house to not mow the grass Hmm does he need to remind himself not to mow LOL It would be nice to find the planet his mind lives in
Cancelled
AG
The economic fallout of moving home games to Reliant during Kyle construction was predicted by an outside firm to be catastrophic. If you toss in no students and no football, you can kiss most hotels, restaurants and bars goodbye. And soon to follow would be the other service industry and professionals, which would have devastating impact on the real estate market. Think about all the traffic TAMU brings in through sports and conferences, etc. Think about all of the apartments and off campus dorms. Or the service employees.

The even more troubling aspect is that the reason for cancelling fall classes would still be around in the Spring - and potentially in the summer and fall of 2021. This virus is not going away and a vaccine is at least 18 months away. I love Aggieland - it's my home, but I'm not sure there would be anything left.

We need to deal with the fear. The fear is what will destroy this economy.
nthomas99
AG
queso1 said:

We need to deal with the fear. The fear is what will destroy this economy.

^^^^ This sums it all up.

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself -- nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance." FDR
Gigem314
AG
1.618 said:

Well consider this a catastrophic blow. We are already there with the worst still to come.
We are NOT already there, and nobody knows what the next several weeks will bring.
91_Aggie
AG
Crompton has a very small toe-hold on reality.
Anything he says/claims should be dismissed almost immediately.
BCSWguru
Those that elected Crompton back to council will get everything they deserve.
lost my dog
Crompton has absolutely no say on whether the University has classes in College Station in the fall. Getting angry at him is shooting the messager.

But the University is considering the possibility of keeping all classes online this fall. It is very premature to predict what the decision will be.
benchmark
AG
I've personally had dealings with this buffoon. Very smart, extremely liberal, and a typical academic that thinks public money grows on trees.
Mathguy64
AG
If the administrators at both TAMU and Blinn as well as those at both ISDs in town are not at least discussing options for all online classes in the fall they should be fired. We all know they are doing it. They should be doing their due diligence.

And frankly if both sets of elected officials for Bryan and CS aren't planning out for dealing with the economic impact for online fall classes they should all be tossed out. They should be (and I am sure they are ) having these frank discussions now. Better now than later.
Gigem314 said:

1.618 said:

We are NOT already there, and nobody knows what the next several weeks will bring.
Are we not there because you think we aren't *going* there? Or because we still have a few weeks until we get there (I think this is right)? I understand that nobody knows what the next several weeks will bring but there are lots of models out there that make highly educated estimates.

Oil and gas has already been hit with a catastrophic blow. Tourism won't be bouncing back any time soon even if the virus goes into hibernation during the summer (which it does not appear inclined to do). You might think medical services would be in good shape but that is NOT the case as they were already on the edge of catastrophe before the virus (see The Med). Farmers can't get crops out of the field. Nonprofits that rely on donations will be hard hit on both ends as demand for services is up simultaneous with donations down. All those who are in what they think are in "safe" state/fed jobs might have a surprise coming as cuts are in the works. Brick and mortar retail was walking a thin line prior to the virus. So while Texas has done a good job of diversifying the economy since the great oil crisis of the 80's (anyone old enough to remember that?), this event has much wider reach. Much. And there is no reason to think that we are near the end of it. I'm not going off my gut. I'm looking at numbers.

If your household has not been hit yet, then consider that things might never go back to "normal" or if they do, the most optimistic models say it will be at least another 6 months-1 year. I'm sure the models are wrong but they are not that wrong.
jja79
AG
Several people have posted over the years that neither their jobs nor their business depends on A&M. I've never thought that to be true but we may find out.
Gap
AG
With 957 total deaths from covid being the latest forecast from March 1 through August 4 for all of Texas, I'm guessing it is looking pretty good for Texas A&M students to be back in the Fall.
Gap said:

With 957 total deaths from covid being the latest forecast from March 1 through August 4 for all of Texas, I'm guessing it is looking pretty good for Texas A&M students to be back in the Fall.
That would be awesome but highly unlikely. I'm looking at deaths doubling every 6-7 days so we would hit 1000 before the end of April. That's April, not August. I like your numbers better, tho, so I want to be wrong on this.
Gap
AG
For clarification, the numbers in my above post are from today's IHME model that the media and Fauci/Birx refer to. They cut their forecast for deaths in Texas by over half in today's release.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/texas
AggieBaseball06
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Crompton is an absolute moron!!
PS3D
jja79 said:

Several people have posted over the years that neither their jobs nor their business depends on A&M. I've never thought that to be true but we may find out.
Government-forced closures go beyond A&M's influence.
benchmark
AG
Gap said:

It will be extremely hard to argue otherwise if statewide infections slow to a very slow drip by early June as predicted. The question being ... what will Abbott/Sharp do if new infections are more than a trickle and drag into July?
Stupe
S
andyv94 said:

His common sense doesn't even seem to be measurable.
AggieBaseball06
AG
andyv94 said:

We are blessed to have a man of Crompton's intelligence and foresight. in fact, I almost feel guilty for not sharing him with other less well off places. Does Siberia need some intelligence and foresight?
Aggie
AG
1.618 said:

Gap said:

That would be awesome but highly unlikely. I'm looking at deaths doubling every 6-7 days so we would hit 1000 before the end of April. That's April, not August. I like your numbers better, tho, so I want to be wrong on this.

Numbers are far below expected
Cases and deaths .
Take out patients already in hospice care and the death toll shrinks drastically.
Quit watching CNN
Gigem314
AG
1.618 said:

Gigem314 said:

1.618 said:

Are we not there because you think we aren't *going* there? Or because we still have a few weeks until we get there (I think this is right)? I understand that nobody knows what the next several weeks will bring but there are lots of models out there that make highly educated estimates.

Oil and gas has already been hit with a catastrophic blow. Tourism won't be bouncing back any time soon even if the virus goes into hibernation during the summer (which it does not appear inclined to do). You might think medical services would be in good shape but that is NOT the case as they were already on the edge of catastrophe before the virus (see The Med). Farmers can't get crops out of the field. Nonprofits that rely on donations will be hard hit on both ends as demand for services is up simultaneous with donations down. All those who are in what they think are in "safe" state/fed jobs might have a surprise coming as cuts are in the works. Brick and mortar retail was walking a thin line prior to the virus. So while Texas has done a good job of diversifying the economy since the great oil crisis of the 80's (anyone old enough to remember that?), this event has much wider reach. Much. And there is no reason to think that we are near the end of it. I'm not going off my gut. I'm looking at numbers.

If your household has not been hit yet, then consider that things might never go back to "normal" or if they do, the most optimistic models say it will be at least another 6 months-1 year. I'm sure the models are wrong but they are not that wrong.
So The Med is your example of medical services being in bad shape prior to the virus? That's quite a reach when consider the expansion of Texas Children's into this area, and St. Joseph looking to expand.

Nobody is suggesting that things aren't bad. This going to be tough road. But there's too much conjecture rooted in this narrative that things will never come back...and I think that's very extremely premature right now.
Stupe
S
The Med's issues had absolutely nothing to do with this pandemic and was not indicative the state of health care, in general.

It has been available for sale for years and was operating on a budget and in a way that reflected that.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.