Crompton's predictions about TAMU

23,702 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Cholula Verde
saltydog13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The star that was next to my account
johnnyblaze36
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Online classes is the right way to go for Fall 2020. Reassess Spring term closer to the end of the year.

Any / all sports should be cancelled or postponed. Risking your health to watch football? Yeah, that's dumb. Jobs and profit losses be damned.
This has to be one of the top five worst posts I've ever seen on this entire website.
redd38
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

AggieBarstool said:

Online classes is the right way to go for Fall 2020. Reassess Spring term closer to the end of the year.

Any / all sports should be cancelled or postponed. Risking your health to watch football? Yeah, that's dumb. Jobs and profit losses be damned.
This has to be one of the top five worst posts I've ever seen on this entire website.

I'm fairly certain he's trolling.
johnnyblaze36
AG
You're probably right and I took the bait. No way someone with Barstool in their handle thinks that way.
Hammerheadjim
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

You're probably right and I took the bait. No way someone with Barstool in their handle thinks that way.
If you only knew....
johnnyblaze36
AG
Time for A&M to follow suit immediately.

Tigermom84
AG
Re: Sharp's news today. Thank the lord. Just further proof that some members of our city council is completely out of touch.

Side note: did anyone watch the latest city council zoom meeting? Word was Crompton went off on landscaping projects (again) and swimming pools, harvell screamed out at him and fell out of her chair...
BCSWguru
they deserve every bit of it
Rapier108
Tigermom84 said:

Re: Sharp's news today. Thank the lord. Just further proof that some members of our city council is completely out of touch.

Side note: did anyone watch the latest city council zoom meeting? Word was Crompton went off on landscaping projects (again) and swimming pools, harvell screamed out at him and fell out of her chair...
He did go off on landscaping and pools. Heard some of it on WTAW.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
02skiag
AG
What did he say about them?
TLIAC
AG
02skiag said:

What did he say about them?
Personally I can't recall all that he said. After two sentences all I heard was Charlie Brown's mother/teacher.
AgDotCom
Tigermom84 said:

Worst College Station city council ever?

Makes you wonder. I don't know, though, since some of these folks were on previous city councils 10-15 years ago. Maybe those were better, equal, or worse. Might be time for the next house cleaning since 2005-2007ish when the Adventures of David Romei came to light.
RafterAg223
AG
This is likely the worst possible council makeup we could have when the time comes to emerge from a situation like this.
happyinBCS
simply unbelievable that we have such a horrible city counsel, and yes this town reelected them from 10 years ago
JM84
Still can't believe that he got elected. Rektorik had his faults but at least he wasn't a complete economic moron.
Rapier108
And yet come next election, most people will vote for them again. Way too many Karens in this city.

Couldn't stand Crompton 20 years ago; still can't stand him.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Rexter
Single member districts would be a start to end the revolving door.
happyinBCS
seems like Lord Crompton wants to destroy the midtown development at this nights council meeting all hail Lord Crompton
RafterAg223
AG
happyinBCS said:

seems like Lord Crompton wants to destroy the midtown development at this nights council meeting all hail Lord Crompton
It appears his own students can't stand him when you look at his reviews. Most of his fellow council members can't stand him. Most of the people in town can't stand him. In spite of all this, it's sad that he still gets elected because hardly anyone votes and his NIMBY lemmings put him in office. People must vote. It will get worse in November when Guerra likely takes his seat on council.
RafterAg223
AG
JM84 said:

Still can't believe that he got elected. Rektorik had his faults but at least he wasn't a complete economic moron.
Crompton is an economic illiterate. His stance on impact fees proves that. His proposal is so punitive that businesses and developers will simply not do their projects and look elsewhere. Then when he gets $0 in impact fees, the city will be in an even deeper budget hole than the one he spews his drivel about. People around here forgot really quickly about the chimney hill shopping center disaster he spearheaded during his last council stint. It's a shame. The man sits up there in his tenured ivory tower at a time like this and just Lectures the peasants. He has zero situational awareness. His entire resume for being on city council is centered around the litany of meaningless academic awards he has received. He needs to pack his things and move back across the pond.
JM84
Yup. Land in Bryan already costs 2/3 what it does in College Station and they're waiving permit fees if you're within a certain amount of heated square footage. Add the idiotic $15k impact fee that he keeps pushing and you can kiss any development in CS goodbye.
Cholula Verde
AG
JM84 said:

Yup. Land in Bryan already costs 2/3 what it does in College Station and they're waiving permit fees if you're within a certain amount of heated square footage. Add the idiotic $15k impact fee that he keeps pushing and you can kiss any development in CS goodbye.
Why do they need more developments in CS anyway? Asking for a friend!
Oogway
I believe both you and JM84 should be transparent regarding your position on impact fees as both of you are in the building/development trades IIRC.

Many of the citizens who post on this board are not in that field (and may not support Crompton for other reasons) and realize that impact fees are not the end all be all of controlling growth and that the fees still do not necessarily cover the costs of supporting new infrastructure. That does not mean that the fees shouldn't exist, but that they should not be onerous. Developers do take on a very real tangible cost for their business, I am aware of that.

However, it is important to also realize that rapid growth is not self-supporting either. I think cities and metro areas are beginning to realize that as well as the taxpayers. Should the infrastructure maintenance in older parts of town have to be deferred year after year because the dollars go elsewhere? I've watched the city rehab sidewalks in some parts of town- I drove on Rio Grande not too long ago and they had replaced and widened the sidewalk there, but there is more to maintenance than pedestrian paths.

I believe you have an argument, but I also believe it is not as cut and dried for the taxpayers as it is for the developers.

Another topic that I wish the Council would address is doing more to attract stand-alone commercial business that are in the light industrial sector. Bryan seems to do this better, but admittedly, my belief is anecdotal.
RafterAg223
AG
I don't advocate zero fees, unbridled development, and concrete jungles. When it comes to roadway impact fees, it is my opinion that one area of town should not just bear the lion's share of the burden on a new fee schedule. An equitable, common sense arrangement would be a fee schedule that sees a flat increase across town. Crompton paints a picture that all of South College Station has been developed on the backs of the taxpayers elsewhere in the city. I've lived and paid property taxes in "South College Station" for nearly 20 years. I, along with everyone else get to look at a roadway maintenance tax, uh I mean "fee" on my utility bill every month. Those that own commercial property get to pay an even more substantial "fee". What is the city doing with these "fees"?There are plenty of areas all over town, South College Station included, where the road surfaces are in disrepair. College Station has all of their own road maintenance equipment. I rarely see it being deployed.

A real acceleration in commercial development didn't happen down here until around the end of 2012. Crompton and some of his buddies have gone out of their way over the years to paint "sprawl" development as a villain.

A key cog in our fight against potential COVID-19 issues right now is Baylor Scott and White Hospital. That hospital never gets built without the growth and development of the South side of town. Many of the amenities that all of us enjoy never come to town without the development of the South side and the strong demographic profile it has added to our overall picture. All of this development, especially the residential side of it, has also helped to further bolster the College Station ISD.

I just feel like the motivation from Crompton and his ilk isn't rooted in anything genuine. Their utopia has been ruined and those that perpetrated the heinous act must now pay. The issue is that tacking $16,000 in roadway impact fees on to a 1,500 to 2,000 square foot house doesn't make anyone pay. It makes housing unaffordable for a good number of folks. It makes developers/builders walk because they know they cant successfully pass that on to the end user at that price point. They also know that if they eat that fee, they are no longer profitable. There is a compromise on this with a common sense approach. Crompton's proposal is extreme and doesn't make economic sense. I don't think any rational individual would contest that.
Oogway
Thank you for the clarification. That was a more reasoned explanation, and I agree with many of your points. I am pro commercial development and see the area south of the hospital as a plus with a lot of opportunity and yes, compromise is not the dirty word some people think it is.
benchmark
AG
RafterAg223 said:

I just feel like the motivation from Crompton and his ilk isn't rooted in anything genuine. Their utopia has been ruined and those that perpetrated the heinous act must now pay. The issue is that tacking $16,000 in roadway impact fees on to a 1,500 to 2,000 square foot house doesn't make anyone pay. It makes housing unaffordable for a good number of folks. It makes developers/builders walk because they know they cant successfully pass that on to the end user at that price point. They also know that if they eat that fee, they are no longer profitable. There is a compromise on this with a common sense approach. Crompton's proposal is extreme and doesn't make economic sense. I don't think any rational individual would contest that.
I have first hand experience on this topic ... and I can assure you, College Station absolutely knows their impact fees can only be absorbed by new homes over 2,500 SF. That's the point.
SECeded
happyinBCS
The Lord Crompton was on KBTX last night so excited about several parks acquiring more land and he said all the residents want is more hiking trails. Hmmm all of this while the economy is in the tank and the tax revenue to the city is dropping like a rock.
happyinBCS
So now the city of CS will not supply water to all of the public water fountains along all the trails and in public parks but the Lord Crompton says all we need are more trails
Agmaker
Oh yeah! the original topic here was:
Crompton predicts that TAMU won't open in the fall, and even further that students won't be coming back until Fall 2021.
Man! This guy is brilliant!
kevmiller
Gigem314 said:

1.618 said:

Well consider this a catastrophic blow. We are already there with the worst still to come.
We are NOT already there, and nobody knows what the next several weeks will bring.

Probably more overwhelming numbers and eveidence that this virus is virtually harmless for 99% of people and we will continue to overreact and shut things down and tell the American public how to live.
Oogway
kevmiller said:

Gigem314 said:

1.618 said:

Well consider this a catastrophic blow. We are already there with the worst still to come.
We are NOT already there, and nobody knows what the next several weeks will bring.

Probably more overwhelming numbers and eveidence that this virus is virtually harmless for 99% of people and we will continue to overreact and shut things down and tell the American public how to live.
Who is this 'we' of whom you speak?

Many states have already lifted restrictions and shelter orders statewide while other states are doing that on a county-by-county basis due to urban populations with outbreaks that make lifting all restrictions less optimal. Overall, most places are responding to specific outbreaks (hotspots) which was essentially what the WH task force had indicated would be the likely scenario. As more citizens nationwide are tested, more data comes in and is assessed. The medical and scientific communities have a better idea of what this virus is about than they did four months ago. The research is ongoing and that bodes well for the coming months.
Well, okay then
AG
Rapier108 said:

Way too many Karens in this city.

Karen Station?
Cholula Verde

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.