Local hospital beds

2 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by histag10
ooshwa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Does anybody have this information or know if it publicly available?

1. How many local (Brazos Co) hospital beds are there?
2. What is their typical occupancy?
3. What is their current occupancy?
4. Are there efforts currently underway to increase the number of beds available (previously closed facilities, make-shift, etc)?
Jason86
AG
From what I have heard through an employee of St. Joseph they are currently less busy than normal and are actually staggering employees on PTO. The reasoning is they believe that a "wave" of patients will be coming soon and are trying to prepare for that. They believe at that time the staff will need to be working overtime and such to accommodate.

I believe as it stands now the number of hospitalizations in the county is only three so there's that.
histag10
AG
Would the Caprock hospital's beds count towards total number of beds? The corner ERs?
ooshwa
Staff
AG
That's my understanding too, Jason.

And, I would think so, histag10. Any bed would count.

My question is the result of a conversation with a colleague where it was pointed out that this community (like others all over the world) is going to great extremes to flatten the curve (something I'm fully behind) so we don't overwhelm our local healthcare system. This comes at an extremely high cost for many people (jobs, careers, businesses). The question is: are we currently going to similar extremes to prepare for the peak of the curve in our capacity while we have the time to do so.

I'm not implying we're not. I have no idea. Thus, the question.
kyledr04
AG
https://hhs.texas.gov/sites/default/files/documents/doing-business-with-hhs/provider-portal/facilities-regulation/hospitals/hospital-gen-spec-directory.xlsx

That table has every Texas hospital and their number of beds broken down by type of bed including ICU.

You could calculate all of the beds in Brazos county. Caprock's hospital and the Physician center would count along with St Joe's and S&W.

One thing to remember is that those facilities also serve all of our neighboring counties that have small or no hospitals.
kyledr04
AG
The freestanding ERs aren't technically the same as the hospital beds but if things got out I'd hand I suspect they'd get utilized somehow.
rsa
AG
kyledr04 said:

The freestanding ERs aren't technically the same as the hospital beds but if things got out I'd hand I suspect they'd get utilized somehow.
Utilization of available space might mean thinking outside of the box. A few colleges across the nation are asking/requiring students to move out of their dorms to make space available for beds. While I pray that we do not need such an action here, the number of surrounding counties with very limited resources increases the chances that more space might be needed, and the dorms at A&M seem a likely place to use.
milner79
rsa said:

kyledr04 said:

Utilization of available space might mean thinking outside of the box. A few colleges across the nation are asking/requiring students to move out of their dorms to make space available for beds. While I pray that we do not need such an action here, the number of surrounding counties with very limited resources increases the chances that more space might be needed, and the dorms at A&M seem a likely place to use.
I know nothing about the logistics/legalities of this but it seems to me hotels would be better than dormitories. If an authority has to commandeer local beds, wouldn't it be easier to do so with space that is not cluttered with personal stuff, that is routinely cleaned, that has private baths, that has internal food service capacity, etc.? Hope it does not come anywhere close to that.
histag10
AG
milner79 said:

rsa said:

kyledr04 said:

I know nothing about the logistics/legalities of this but it seems to me hotels would be better than dormitories. If an authority has to commandeer local beds, wouldn't it be easier to do so with space that is not cluttered with personal stuff, that is routinely cleaned, that has private baths, that has internal food service capacity, etc.? Hope it does not come anywhere close to that.

Seems it would be easier to commandeer rooms in a state owned facility, rather than those in a private Company
coopers hawk
milner79 said:

rsa said:

kyledr04 said:

Since they allowed refunds on housing contracts and moved classes online, I suspect that the dorms are mostly empty, save for the students with no where else to go (I would have been one of them.) They could easily consolidate those kids into a few buildings and use the rest as emergency medical facilities. The balcony and corridor dorms wouldn't be great for this, but the modular dorms, hullabaloo hall, and the commons could all work, as each room has a private shower. But honestly, people on vents don't shower, they're stuck in bed, so what we wind up with may look more like polio wards, with gyms and cafeterias filled with patients so that fewer medics can cover more patients, rather than even semi private rooms. They may need a dedicated facility that medical professionals can safely self quarantine after a known exposure in addition to needing covid19 facilities. We'll still need non-covid facilities- trauma units and ERs and surgical suites for other emergencies.

I'm really glad there are people out there that specialize in this kind of thing. I'm sure they've considered these things and a lot more and have the ball rolling on them.
cslifer
Caprock in bryan is classified as a legit hospital. They have actual in patient beds.
meinkee
But I thought caprock ers did not take Medicare. Will they take direct govt payments during a pandemic?
histag10
AG
meinkee said:

But I thought caprock ers did not take Medicare. Will they take direct govt payments during a pandemic?

Caprock hospital is different from their ERs, which are both different from their urgent cares. Not sure if any of them accept Medicare, though
histag10
AG
Nevermind- their website says none of their sites accept Medicare. Dont know how that would work... though I'm sure there are private hospitals in large cities that dont accept it either..
ag009
AG
Dr. Sullivan said 50 ICU beds in today's presser.
tb9665
The Commons on campus would be easy. Cinder blocks for rooms and a central area for doctors. Easy to clean.
tb9665
Also don't forget, modular dorms (Neely etc) were built and installed like legos.
EBrazosAg
AG
histag10 said:

Nevermind- their website says none of their sites accept Medicare. Dont know how that would work... though I'm sure there are private hospitals in large cities that dont accept it either..

That would all get suspended in about 1 min in a declared emergency. Might need a federal disaster declaration, but those seem pretty easy to get these days.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
I don't get how people think any building cam be made into a hospital just with beds. You need oxygen and staff. I'm not sure we have an unlimited amount of portable oxygen tanks to make any building into a hospital. Hospitals are built with oxygen lines to all rooms.

I know for sure we don't have an unlimited amount of nurses and doctors and respiratory therapists.

edit: spelling dang phone
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
clinte234
AG
Army Corps of Engineers seem to be on it (not in BCS as of yet) but really interesting to listen to ...and a guy who sounds like a great leader!

Having just spent a month at a Houston hospital, I can tell you that there is so much more than the facilities. The nurses on my floor knew all/most of the many doctors. They knew the protocols. They knew the best time to contact each doctor and when to wait for rounds. There were so many medications ordered for me that it was unreal. Each nursing shift passed info to the next shift like a well oiled machine and they flagged the things that they thought might not work in my particular case so that they could get a Plan B ready for me in advance. The cleaning staff had to follow strict protocols before entering my room and use specialized products to clean the room on strict schedules. The physical therapists and occupational therapists and respiratory therapists each had a role in getting me out of the hospital in the best shape possible.

Over the course of the month, there were literally hundreds of people who contributed to my successful exit from the hospital - the infectious disease team, the charge nurses, the floor nurses, the dietitians, the radiologists, the pulmonologists, cardiologists, the pharmacists, ot, pt, and the list goes on and on ending with my doctor and his team. They all worked so hard both individually and together as a team, it was mind blowing.

I cannot imagine what happens when the well oiled machine that is a hospital becomes stressed for long periods of time. I witnessed them be stressed for short periods of time---a shift when several nurses called in ill or when the pharmacy team had to figure out suitable substitutions for medications that I could not take orally. They were short term stressful periods but each person cared so much about getting it right that I could see the impact that the stress had on them. In addition, I had a personal caregiver with me 24 hours/day which took some pressure off the nursing staff. In a coronavirus situation, the patient won't have that option which adds to the nursing duties.

I pray for our local medical teams as they ready themselves to do battle with this virus while balancing their own personal obligations. Medicine is not easy under the best circumstances.
TXAGBQ76
AG
There are supposedly about 3000 kids still living in the dorms
ooshwa
Staff
AG
clinte234 said:

Army Corps of Engineers seem to be on it (not in BCS as of yet) but really interesting to listen to ...and a guy who sounds like a great leader!
This looks like a guy you want in charge of getting things done.
KidDoc
AG
clinte234 said:

Good video but still does not explain where extra ICU staff will come from and do we have enough portable O2.
aggieann
AG
trouble
AG
I keep bringing up staff and people keep rolling their eyes at me.

I even had one suggest that the state should be able to force me out of retirement. Great, who is gonna watch my kids and nurse my baby full time then?
MiMi
S
When Hurricane Rita made landfall in 2005, the Large Animal Clinic at TAMU was turned into a surge hospital for human patients. I'm not sure if there has been any discussion to do something similar to have it available to care for non-Covid patients? The facility has a bulk liquid oxygen tank and plenty of portable H and E oxygen cylinders.

Humans receive skilled care at veterinary school

histag10
AG
trouble said:

I keep bringing up staff and people keep rolling their eyes at me.

I even had one suggest that the state should be able to force me out of retirement. Great, who is gonna watch my kids and nurse my baby full time then?

Obviously they will force nannies to take your kids in full time and get you a milk maid. Duh!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.