Do we have any news on the people who have recovered from this?

2,553 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by WTM
michellecan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rusty Surette?
KidDoc
AG
Since the cases were pretty recently diagnosed and we have a limited number of test kits I suspect it will be at least a week before any of the cases are classified as recovered. The typical course for COVID seems to be 14-21 days. Current CDC guidelines for suspected or confirmed cases is they need to be in quarantine until they are fever free x 72 hours without medication and at least 7 days from the first symptom OR two negative tests > 24 hours apart from each other.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
michellecan
Thanks Kid!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
How are local cases being treated? With what meds if any?
KidDoc
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

How are local cases being treated? With what meds if any?
I don't have first hand info as we are not currently testing kids unless they need to be in the hospital. I know I got an email two days ago with treatment flowcharts but don't have them handy right now at home.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ro828
Recovery is not a major issue. Almost 99% of people who get this will recover.

My question is if recovery equals immunity. I'm sure it will take quite a while to figure that out.
KidDoc
AG
ro828 said:

My question is if recovery equals immunity. I'm sure it will take quite a while to figure that out.
99% is simply not accurate.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Current death rate is 22% world-wide- That will not be the final death rate but it will likely be 3-5% not 1%. That al depends on the rate of illness and does your local hospital get overwhelmed.

The immunity question is a hot topic, unknown.

Current treatment guidelines:

Mild-Moderate:
Hydroxychloroquine 400 mg po BID x 1 day, then 200 mg po BID x 4 days

Consider adding:
Azithromycin 500 mg po x 1 dose, followed by 250 mg po daily x 4 days. (high risk of QT prolongation with combination therapy, consider monitoring QT interval)

Severe/Critical;
Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg po TID x 10 days
+
Azithromycin 500 mg PO/IV daily x 5 days (Monitor for QT prolongation)

Follow treatment recommendations for COVID-19 and shock below if applicable
Consider use of remdesivir
o Investigational drug application (contact pharmacy and/or infectious disease)
o Must be mechanically ventilated without vasopressor requirement, CrCl>30 ml/min, ALT < 5 X ULN
Consider use of tocilizumab (Restricted to infectious disease/ critical care intensivists

Rexter
KidDoc said:

ro828 said:

Current death rate is 22% world-wide- That will not be the final death rate but it will likely be 3-5% not 1%. That al depends on the rate of illness and does your local hospital get overwhelmed.

Mild-Moderate:

Consider adding:
Azithromycin 500 mg po x 1 dose, followed by 250 mg po daily x 4 days. (high risk of QT prolongation with combination therapy, consider monitoring QT interval)

Severe/Critical;
+

o Must be mechanically ventilated without vasopressor requirement, CrCl>30 ml/min, ALT < 5 X ULN
Consider use of tocilizumab (Restricted to infectious disease/ critical care intensivists

22% death rate?

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases

The published numbers equal 4.5%

Snip:

Since 31 December 2019 and as of 27 March 2020, 528 025 cases of COVID-19 (in accordance with the applied case definitions and testing strategies in the affected countries) have been reported, including 23 672 deaths.

WTM
Using the current information on the link provided the global death rate is 4.49%. That is very far from 22%. Here in the US the current rate is 1.5%.

In the end you will see the percentages go down as many, many people are not tested. The CDC itself states "Not everyone needs to be tested for COVID-19. Here is some information that might help in making decisions about seeking care or testing... Most people have mild illness and are able to recover at home."

Across the nation EMS agencies are not transporting and hospitals are turning away patients who have only Covid-19 symptoms with no other serious medical conditions or risk factors. The amount of people staying home and not being seen / tested is staggering. Deaths are being fairly accurately recorded and autopsies are on the rise for those who had any flu like symptoms, but the the infected rate is much larger than the tested rate.
KidDoc
AG
Rexter said:

KidDoc said:

ro828 said:

Mild-Moderate:

Consider adding:

Severe/Critical;
+

22% death rate?

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases

The published numbers equal 4.5%

Snip:

Since 31 December 2019 and as of 27 March 2020, 528 025 cases of COVID-19 (in accordance with the applied case definitions and testing strategies in the affected countries) have been reported, including 23 672 deaths.

22% death rate is active cases (500k)/deaths (25k) from the Worldometers page. 129k officially recovered. The 300k ish people that are still active will likely have 95% ish move to recovered over the next few weeks.

Even among the 150k closed cases the death rate is 14%.

There are likely a huge number of cases in USA and world that are not confirmed due to lack of testing so we are likely having a testing bias towards severe/hospitalized cases.
WTM
You are either dividing total cases by deaths (vs dividing deaths by total cases to get the percentage) which is not accurate or comparing closed cases to deaths. Both of which are not how any Nation or Govt. Agency is calculating projected fatality percentages for Covid-19.

I believe you are looking at the serious / critical number as a percentage of the open cases. That is about 21.5%

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.