B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,096,007 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FlyRod said:

Any data on whether recent deaths among the elderly occurred in nursing homes (as was the case earlier in the pandemic?)

Curious if after nearly two years of this we are still failing the most vulnerable. I'm hoping not.
Nothing official, but I can tell you that 3 different nursing homes has issues, and all 3 had previous outbreaks. Two were small clusters over the last couple of months, but those burned out very quickly. The third had a full blown outbreak, as bad as any of the previous ones, but much shorter in duration. EMS calls there were sky high for about 2-3 weeks, and then quickly stopped. This is where I suspect most of the deaths of people 70+ came from.

I was talking with a nurse who has worked with coronavirus patients in the past and during the conversation I bought up the one nursing home with a major outbreak. As she put it, since the shots do not prevent infection nor prevent transmission, it is almost impossible to keep it out of a contained environment like a nursing home. Add the fact that most people in there are not remotely healthy, and even the best vaccines often do not provide as much protection for the elderly due to their weaker immune systems, it is still a prime target for the virus to run amok.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
dubi
FlyRod
There was, in fact, a massive decline in nursing home deaths shortly after the first vaccination rollout, so I'm not buying that this situation is unpreventable.

Difficult with new variants, fragile immune systems, vaccine reluctant staff? Absolutely (sadly). Impossible? Nope.

dubi I hope the very best for your mom.
Hornbeck
Raw numbers unchanged from Friday. Maybe they forgot to update?
MiMi
S
Quote:

Raw numbers unchanged from Friday. Maybe they forgot to update?
Given the 'low' number of confirmed cases in recent days and that the raw numbers haven't changed at all this week, I'm guessing that they just haven't 'cleared' them yet. I'm sure we'll see a spike in new cases in the next day or two, along with a reduction in raw cases. Of course, KBTX will then report the shock and awe of a rise in cases when it isn't real at all.
Expert Analysis
AG
They will report all the remaining backlog on Monday and KBTX will report the spike was from storming the field...

The number of actives cases in both local ISD's have really diminished, much like the A&M numbers have. About 140 active cases between the 3, for what is well over 100k people combined.
FlyRod
There seems to be a growing consensus that we've turned the corner here case wise and this is such a good thing.
Stupe
S
What everyone with common sense said was going to happen....is happening?
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 63 new confirmed cases (1,242 raw cases), 36 probable cases, 22 (+1) Brazos County residents hospitalized, 893 tests, 0 deaths.

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 121,147 (+115) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 10/13/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 105,165 (+165). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 53.07% of Brazos County residents (12 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 57 (+0); 10% of total hospital capacity as of 10/12/21.
FlyRod
Quote:

What everyone with common sense said was going to happen....is happening?

Sure, but the area of uncertainty was timing.
cavscout96
AG
Probably been happening for 10-14 days already. The only reason numbers were higher during that time was clearing the raw case backlog.

They should just take it to zero and be done. Those were six to seven weeks ago
trouble
AG
10/13/21 2:55pm

57 available hospital beds

0 available ICU beds

80 available ventilators

11 Covid patients on ventilators

48 ICU patients

12 Covid ICU patients

11 admits in previous 24 hrs
trouble
AG
10/14/21 3:05pm

52 available hospital beds

0 available ICU beds

83 available ventilators

49 ICU patients

13 Covid ICU patients

1 Pediatric Covid patient

4 Covid admits in previous 24 hrs
Mathguy64
AG
I hate that pediatric count.
trouble
AG
Same.
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 38 new confirmed cases (1,242 raw cases), 22 probable cases, 17 (-5) Brazos County residents hospitalized, 991 tests, 0 deaths.

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 121,225 (+78) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 10/14/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 105,259 (+94). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 53.12% of Brazos County residents (12 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 55 (-2); 10% of total hospital capacity as of 10/13/21.
isitjustme
AG
isitjustme said:

Week of 7/5: 73 cases, 1,579 tests, 4.6%PCR
7/12: 113 cases, 2,009 tests, 5.6%
7/19: 204 cases, 3,745 tests, 5.45%
7/26: 275 cases, 4,673 tests, 5.9%
8/2: 291 cases, 4,261 tests, 6.8%
8/9: 482 cases, 4,706 tests, 10.2%
8/16: 383 cases, 5,508 tests, 7.0%
8/23: 617 cases, 7,964 tests, 7.75%
8/30: 652 cases, 17,609 tests, 3.7%
9/6: 891 cases, 19,182 tests, 4.6%
9/13: 966 cases, 16,479 tests, 5.9%
9/20: 1,374 cases, 10,272 tests, 13.4%
9/27: 1,589 cases, 8,311 tests, 19.1%
10/4: 736 cases, 5,337 tests, 13.8%
10/11: 221 cases, 6,356 tests, 3.5%

5 deaths, all from this month, all reported Monday. Condolences to all family and friends touched by this.

Case numbers lowest reported Since week of 7/19, lowest % positive of last 3 1/2 months. Backlog of raw cases now 1,242. No telling how new or old those are..
FlyRod
Interesting that the number of tests is remaining high, even after the mandatory testing spike at TAMU.
EBrazosAg
AG
As the below article demonstrates, the number of cases means little since the "raw cases" were added - during the middle of the latest increase in cases. Again - one of the dumbest things I can imagine doing.

https://www.kbtx.com/app/2021/10/15/covid-context-local-active-cases-appear-be-dropping-1200-backlog-remains-are-cases-really-decreasing/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MiMi
S
I love how the KBTX story says that the number of raw cases have dropped 'most significantly' in the past 7 days. The BCHD reported 1299 raw cases last Friday and then 1242 everyday this week. Not a very significant decrease to me.

It's frustrating that they are spinning the story to make us think that cases aren't really decreasing and that the raw numbers (that are probably weeks old by now) can/will be counted as active cases.

They need to focus on the fact that the number of hospitalizations are decreasing, but I suppose that story wouldn't generate clicks.
scd88
AG
Aggieland Texags board....It's almost time...
MiMi
S
Quote:

It's almost time...
Name the date, place and time, I'll be there!
Rapier108
Yep, it is absolutely pathetic that KBTX is for all intents and purposes, flat out lying.

Anyone with a brain know the "raw" cases are weeks old, perhaps going back to before classes at A&M started, but they just have to keep pumping out the corona-fear 24/7.

Last night it was their typical hand wringing report that hospitalizations were "increasing" (went up by 1) followed by their story of the kid from Huntsville who died due to MIS-C.

The BCHD just needs to dump all of the "raw" cases into the total count if they're over two weeks old and be done with them. I hope it is just incompetence, but part of me thinks they're going to dump them all at an opportune time so it can be claimed that the Alabama game caused a "spike."
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Expert Analysis
AG
Quote:

COVID in Context: Local active cases appear to be dropping, but a 1,200+ backlog remains. Are cases really decreasing?
How can anyone make that headline? They are either lying or dumb. Especially when they quote the BCHD saying "We are going down"
GoodOleBryanBoy
COVID out of Context seems more accurate!
trouble
AG
Because they have no idea what the word backlog means
trouble
AG
10/15/21 11:45am

76 available hospital beds

2 available ICU beds

86 available ventilators

50 ICU patients

13 Covid ICU patients

0 pediatric patients

2 Covid admits in previous 24 hrs
theNetSmith
AG

Quote:

0 pediatric patients

cavscout96
AG
trouble said:

10/15/21 11:45am

2 Covid admits in previous 24 hrs
new straw
Love this! Thanks for your updates.
MiMi
S
No weekend updates from BCHD

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 121,338 (+113) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 10/15/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 105,407 (+148). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 53.2% of Brazos County residents (12 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 47 (-8); 8% of total hospital capacity as of 10/14/21.

This is lowest number of hospitalized Region N patients since July 23 and the lowest number of Brazos County in-patients since July 16.
FlyRod
This, and the best weekend weather we've had in ages makes for a great day!
MiMi
S
No weekend updates from BCHD

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 121,404 (+66) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 10/16/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 105,580 (+173). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 53.28% of Brazos County residents (12 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 42 (-5); 7% of total hospital capacity as of 10/15/21.
trouble
AG
10/16/21 12:25pm

75 available hospital beds

2 available ICU beds

88 available ventilators

10 Covid patients on ventilators

49 ICU patients

13 Covid ICU patients

3 Covid admits in previous 24 hrs
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 32 new confirmed cases (1,242 raw cases), 8 probable cases, 16 (-1) Brazos County residents hospitalized, 2697 tests, 0 deaths.

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 121,441 (+37 people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 10/17/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 105,658 (+78). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 53.32% of Brazos County residents (12 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 42 (-0); 8% of total hospital capacity as of 10/16/21.
First Page Last Page
Page 157 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.