B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,104,449 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
Anna Molly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks. Disorienting to read "X number of cases and Y number of deaths reported" and want to react as if that's happening in real time but by the time it hits the news it's a past event.
trouble
AG
9/28/21 12:20pm

30 available hospital beds

0 available ICU beds

80 available ventilators

13 Covid patients on ventilators

57 ICU patients

23 Covid ICU patients

13 admissions in the last 24 hours
Rapier108
And our illustrious local media (especially KBTX and WTAW) are hyperventilating once again about "highest number of active cases ever!" and "cases continue to surge in Brazos County!"

The health district is doing everyone a disservice with the way they're tossing all of the backlog into "new" and "active" cases. Why should someone who tested positive 3, 4, 5+ weeks ago being classified as an active case unless they're in the hospital?

Businesses and other entities are using this bad data to make decisions such as keeping workers at home, mandates, etc. etc. etc. while others are using it to berate the school districts and university over masks.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
cavscout96
AG
Are you surprised.....really?

Rapier108
Not at all.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
motherrunnersBCS
What about the school district dashboards? Are those also way behind, or more accurate?
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 386 new confirmed cases (2,918 raw cases), 126 probable cases, 40 (-3) Brazos County residents hospitalized, 675 tests, 0 deaths.

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 119,634 (+119) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 9/28/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 102,438 (+132). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 51.7% of Brazos County residents (12 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 119 (+12); 20.31% of total hospital capacity as of 9/27/21.
BrazosWifi
MiMi said:

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 119 (+12); 20.31% of total hospital capacity as of 9/27/21.
I noticed that the Med Center charts show a 7 day spike on Wednesday of each week. I suspect it is people going out on the weekend and it taking a few days for the infection to take hold.

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/tmc-daily-new-covid-19-hospitalizations/

Overall the Med Center slope is downward but it spikes each Wednesday.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
isitjustme
AG
MiMi said:

Today's numbers: 386 new confirmed cases (2,918 raw cases), 126 probable cases, 40 (-3) Brazos County residents hospitalized, 675 tests, 0 deaths.

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 119,634 (+119) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 9/28/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 102,438 (+132). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 51.7% of Brazos County residents (12 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

The reported cases now have nothing much to do with the reported tests. As mentioned, I would bet most of the reported cases of the last week or so were past the 2-week old period and should simultaneously be declared as recovered cases.

And thanks again to MiMi for posting the information for all to easily see.
Rapier108
Not quite a daily numbers related post, but since a lot of people read this thread; I figured this is the best place to put it.

COVID-19 antibody infusion center coming to College Station (kbtx.com)

To make it numbers related, this is one treatment which almost everyone agrees is very useful in helping prevent hospitalizations.
Nosmo
AG
https://www.tamu.edu/coronavirus/dashboard/

Weekly COVID-19 Testing Activity and Positivity at Texas A&M University

Wk end -------- test -------- positive
07/03/21 -------- 311 -------- 5 ( 1.6% )
07/10/21 -------- 195 -------- 6 ( 3.1% )
07/17/21 -------- 323 ------- 16 ( 5.0% )
07/24/21 -------- 459 ------- 32 ( 7.0% )
07/31/21 -------- 719 ------- 60 ( 8.3% )
08/07/21 ------- 1,080 ------ 89 ( 8.2% )
08/14/21 ------- 1,432 ----- 144 ( 10.1% )
08/21/21 ------- 2,346 ----- 139 ( 5.9% )
08/28/21 ------ 28,967 ---- 774 ( 2.7% )
09/04/21 ------ 22,245 --- 1,116 ( 5.0% )
09/11/21 ------ 27,880 --- 1,498 ( 5.4% )
09/18/21 ------- 5,088 ---- 356 ( 7.0% )
09/25/21 ------- 4,221 ---- 196 ( 4.6% )

trouble
AG
9/29/21 2:50pm

32 available hospital beds

0 available ICU beds

80 available ventilators

13 Covid patients on ventilators

55 ICU patients

21 Covid ICU patients

12 admissions in previous 24 hrs
scd88
AG
Hospital numbers seem to be improving.
Anna Molly
Edit: never mind. Reading fail.
cavscout96
AG
scd88 said:

Hospital numbers seem to be improving.
30% reduction in COVID ICU pts. since peak at the beginning of Sep.
Stupe
S
Quote:

Why should someone who tested positive 3, 4, 5+ weeks ago being classified as an active case unless they're in the hospital?
They shouldn't be.

MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 345 new confirmed cases (2603 raw cases), 37 probable cases, 42 (+2) Brazos County residents hospitalized, 1,636 tests, 6 or 7 deaths (depending on which report you read) - 1 white hospitalized male in his 70's, 1 white female in her 80's, 2 Hispanic hospitalized males in their 40's and 50's, 1 white male in his 90's, and 1 Hispanic female in her 70's.

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 119,790 (+156) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 9/29/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 102,682 (+244). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 51.82% of Brazos County residents (12 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 110 (-9); 18.43% of total hospital capacity as of 9/28/21.
trouble
AG
I've been expecting that death count in light of how much hospital and ICU numbers have dropped.
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 193 new confirmed cases (2,281 raw cases), 133 probable cases, 39 (-3) Brazos County residents hospitalized, 1,107 tests, 8 deaths - 2 hospitalized Hispanic males in their 60's, 1 hospitalized white female in her 60's, 1 hospitalized African American male in his 80's, 1 hospitalized African American female in her 70's, 1 hospitalized white female in her 100's, 1 white male in his 70's, 1 Hispanic male in his 60's.

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 119,868 (+78) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 9/30/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 102,829 (+147). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 51.9% of Brazos County residents (12 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 102 (-8); 16.8% of total hospital capacity as of 9/29/21.
trouble
AG
9/30/21 3:45pm

35 available hospital beds

0 available ICU beds

80 available ventilators

14 Covid patients on ventilators

54 ICU patients

20 Covid ICU patients

9 admissions in previous 24hrs
isitjustme
AG
Week of 7/5: 73 cases, 1,579 tests, 4.6%PCR
Week of 7/12: 113 cases, 2,009 tests, 5.6%
Week of 7/19: 204 cases, 3,745 tests, 5.45%
Week of 7/26: 275 cases, 4,673 tests, 5.9%
Week of 8/2: 291 cases, 4,261 tests, 6.8%
Week of 8/9: 482 cases, 4,706 tests, 10.2%
Week of 8/16: 383 cases, 5,508 tests, 7.0%
Week of 8/23: 617 cases, 7,964 tests, 7.75%
Week of 8/30: 652 cases, 17,609 tests, 3.7%
Week of 9/7: 891 cases, 19,182 tests, 4.6%
Week of 9/14: 966 cases, 16,479 tests, 5.9%
Week of 9/21: 1,374 cases, 10,272 tests, 13.4%
Week of 9/28: 1,589 cases, 8,311 tests, 19.1%

19 reported deaths - condolences. Includes 3 age 90+ and 2 others in their 80s (but no new breakthrough deaths?!?). Also includes 3 deaths age 30-59.

Weekly percentage means nothing. My guess is vast majority of positives for the past 2 weeks were from tests that were more than 2 weeks old when results reported. Yet, active case count is exactly equal to the number of positive results reported the last 2 weeks, 2,963. This also means the 27 deaths reported the past 2 weeks were previously reported as recovered. This reveals a very large amount of silliness and irresponsibility on behalf of the Brazos Health District.
EBrazosAg
AG
They should all be terminated for changing their test reporting methodology in the middle of an increase in cases. The numbers they keep reporting now make it look like cases are increasing in the community where as a physician it is clear that they are not. It's just complete ineptitude
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cavscout96
AG
EBrazosAg said:

They should all be terminated for changing their test reporting methodology in the middle of an increase in cases. The numbers they keep reporting now make it look like cases are increasing in the community where as a physician it is clear that they are not. It's just complete ineptitude
we have a winner!
FlyRod
I'm frustrated by the data reporting too, but if they are clear in explaining WHY they are making the changes, I'm ok with that. I'd have to get a better handle on reporting cases in other locales to come down hard on our local folks.

And as long as they keep reporting the other metrics--hospitalizations, deaths, breakthroughs--I'm fine with it.

But "messaging" has been a HUGE problem since all this started, from the national to our local level...that i agree with.
Vinewood_03
Can someone Cliff Notes it for me. Why cases appearing to sky rocket yet current COVID hospitalizations are down and school district cases are wayyyy down. What gives?
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

I'm frustrated by the data reporting too, but if they are clear in explaining WHY they are making the changes, I'm ok with that. I'd have to get a better handle on reporting cases in other locales to come down hard on our local folks.

And as long as they keep reporting the other metrics--hospitalizations, deaths, breakthroughs--I'm fine with it.

But "messaging" has been a HUGE problem since all this started, from the national to our local level...that i agree with.
they aren't.... clear on anything. They are, by any reasonable definition, inept.
cavscout96
AG
Vinewood_03 said:

Can someone Cliff Notes it for me. Why cases appearing to sky rocket yet current COVID hospitalizations are down and school district cases are wayyyy down. What gives?
Quote:

EBrazosAg said:

Quote:

we have a winner!

here you go....
isitjustme
AG
Vinewood_03 said:

Health Dept decided not to report positive results until they could verify them as having been done with their preferred test or otherwise. When A&M mass tested 70,000+ over 3 weeks using a different test, those positives were marked down as "raw" cases and not confirmed as positive until they were investigated and confirmed.

That mass testing began over a month ago, but staff limitations have resulted in delayed confirmations and a slow roll of announced positive results until much later than the test day. So while most of those positives, raw or recently confirmed, are no longer active cases, they are being reported as if they are. Since many were young and required no hospitalizations, you have the drop in hospitalizations even though reported case count is rising.

Now I'm not saying that the positive case reports aren't accurate, that those tests weren't positive. Just saying that they should have been reported much closer to their test dates and that reporting them now really contradicts the current reality.

Is this intentional to keep the public in fear or just ineptitude - that's a questions the press should ask Dr. Sullivan.
cavscout96
AG
Quote:

Is this intentional to keep the public in fear or just ineptitude - that's a questions the press should ask Dr. Sullivan.
speaking of ineptitude........
trouble
AG
10/1/21 2:45pm

37 available hospital beds

0 available ICU beds

76 available ventilators

15 Covid patients on ventilators

57 ICU patients

24 Covid patients in ICU

11 admissions in previous 24 hrs
MiMi
S
No weekend updates from BCHD

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 119,931 (+63) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 10/1/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 102,969 (+140). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 51.97% of Brazos County residents (12 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 100 (-2); 16.67% of total hospital capacity as of 9/30/21.
Stupe
S
Vinewood_03 said:

Are you really surprised by contradicting data at this point?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Vinewood_03 said:

Isn't it because A&M is testing tens of thousands of perfectly healthy 18-21 year olds who have no symptoms or need any medical attention? To me, this massive number of positive tests was to be expected when all the students came back and were forced to be tested.
dubi
AG
Agree. 6% positivity rate on campus of primarily healthy young people.
Expert Analysis
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Vinewood_03 said:

Isn't it because A&M is testing tens of thousands of perfectly healthy 18-21 year olds who have no symptoms or need any medical attention? To me, this massive number of positive tests was to be expected when all the students came back and were forced to be tested.

As isitjustme said above and myself and others have said on recent pages, BCHD is currently reporting positive tests that are old and inactive as current cases. The media will not question them on it because they like the doom and gloom headlines that the terrible BCHD reporting creates.
First Page Last Page
Page 154 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.