B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,096,117 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who knows? We get a different answer every time a reporter asks.
cavscout96
AG
With the massive amounts of tests reported, the've got to be including students
FlyRod
Dunno, something doesn't quite jive. You check the cases on the TAMU Covid dashboard against the BCS health dept. and something doesn't quite add up. I feel like we still don't know conclusively if TAMU cases are being counted in the greater local case load. Annoying.
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 158 new confirmed cases, 30 probable cases, 50 (+1) Brazos County residents hospitalized, 2,911 tests, 1 death - Hispanic female in her 40's

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 116,509 (+114) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 9/13/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 98,137 (+148). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 49.53% of Brazos County residents (12 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 136 (-12); 23.49% of total hospital capacity as of 9/12/21.
cavscout96
AG
Specifically referring to tests. Cases are a crap shoot
FlyRod
Ah gotcha. Just looked at the numbers, so yeah.
Nosmo
AG
https://www.tamu.edu/coronavirus/dashboard/

Weekly COVID-19 Testing Activity and Positivity at Texas A&M University

Wk end -------- test -------- positive
07/03/21 -------- 311 -------- 5 ( 1.6% )
07/10/21 -------- 195 -------- 6 ( 3.1% )
07/17/21 -------- 323 ------- 16 ( 5.0% )
07/24/21 -------- 459 ------- 32 ( 7.0% )
07/31/21 -------- 719 ------- 60 ( 8.3% )
08/07/21 ------- 1,080 ------ 89 ( 8.2% )
08/14/21 ------- 1,432 ----- 144 ( 10.1% )
08/21/21 ------- 2,346 ----- 139 ( 5.9% )
08/28/21 ------ 28,967 ---- 774 ( 2.7% )
09/04/21 ------ 22,245 --- 1,116 ( 5.0% )
09/11/21 ------ 27,880 --- 1,498 ( 5.4% )

Expert Analysis
AG
cavscout96 said:

Specifically referring to tests. Cases are a crap shoot
BCHD testing numbers are still way low. TAMU reports 79k in last 3 weeks. BCHD reports 71k since start of July...
I guess there could be some delay but we are talking about spreadsheet data. If one entity reports it, it should be easy to add somewhere else.
The BCHD test numbers seem way to high to be excluding the TAMU testing, but not high enough to be fully including it.
CSAG96
AG
When I was tested, they never asked me if I was a student or faculty at any university. If they are allowed to test outside of the TAMU testing sites and submit results themselves, that would explain some being included in BCHD numbers and possibly included in TAMU as well. Then others that went to TAMU sites and only included in TAMU results.

I have direct knowledge, just using some deductive reasoning. In the end, unless they explain, who knows.
dubi
AG
CSAG96 said:

When I was tested, they never asked me if I was a student or faculty at any university. If they are allowed to test outside of the TAMU testing sites and submit results themselves, that would explain some being included in BCHD numbers and possibly included in TAMU as well. Then others that went to TAMU sites and only included in TAMU results.

I have direct knowledge, just using some deductive reasoning. In the end, unless they explain, who knows.

"Only university-approved tests and testing sites on campus will be allowed. Other off campus testing sites do not meet mandatory testing requirements."

https://www.tamu.edu/coronavirus/messages/mandatory-covid-19-testing-ends-today-enforcement-follow-up-begins-tomorrow.html
CSAG96
AG
Roger that. I didn't know that. Now I am more confused.
trouble
AG
9/14/21 3:40 pm

33 available hospital beds

0 available ICU beds

61 available ventilators

27 Covid patients on ventilators

54 ICU patients

30 Covid ICU patients
Picadillo
[We have made it clear that this thread is here for number reporting and not for derailing into any type of debate. We are now banning those posters that choose to ignore that warning. -Staff]
dubi
AG
[We will also ban posters that quote or reply to derailing posts because those posts further derail the thread. -Staff]
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 188 new confirmed cases, 0 probable cases, 48 (-2) Brazos County residents hospitalized, 1,013 tests, 0 deaths

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 116,755 (+246) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 9/14/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 98,361 (+224). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 49.64% of Brazos County residents (12 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 147 (+11); 23.49% of total hospital capacity as of 9/13/21.
cavscout96
AG
+11 hospitalized.....
MiMi
S
Thanks. I've corrected it.
BrazosWifi
MiMi said:

Thanks. I've corrected it.
I was a bit surprised by the original number. Glad it was a mistake.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
trouble
AG
And now the date, friend
FlyRod
My understanding from the latest round of relatively convoluted TAMU admin emails is that the total number of positive cases from the 70000 or so was about 3000. That is a (happily) astonishingly low number given all we've heard about Delta transmissibility.

Earlier I wondered whether this might be the case because so many have caught it and have natural immunity, plus the number of vaccinated. No way to know for sure I guess. But I'm delighted that positivity rate is so low.

This hopefully means community spread via students will be very low as well.
isitjustme
AG
FlyRod said:

My understanding from the latest round of relatively convoluted TAMU admin emails is that the total number of positive cases from the 70000 or so was about 3000. That is a (happily) astonishingly low number given all we've heard about Delta transmissibility.

Earlier I wondered whether this might be the case because so many have caught it and have natural immunity, plus the number of vaccinated. No way to know for sure I guess. But I'm delighted that positivity rate is so low.

This hopefully means community spread via students will be very low as well.
Always follow the data, not the hype. 4.29% positivity. Vast majority likely asymptomatic and in the age range with an extremely low chance of negative outcomes. Faculty Senate still mad, though. God bless them.
FlyRod
Would prefer the data to be more thorough, detailed, and complete, but it is what it is.
isitjustme
AG
FlyRod said:

Would prefer the data to be more thorough, detailed, and complete, but it is what it is.
I agree fully. But less thorough, detailed and focused data allow the hype to continue. That's why this topic is 18 months old and still going strong b/c we all want to bring as much clarity to this as possible.

ETA and most of us on this correct our errors as soon as they are pointed out.
Vinewood_03
Pretty fascinating that BISD has hovered around 1% confirmed active infections between total staff and students through one month. Would lead to believe prior infection/immunity is playing some role in this low level of current infections.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

preach. On this, you and I are in 100% agreement!
cavscout96
AG
Vinewood_03 said:

Pretty fascinating that BISD has hovered around 1% confirmed active infections between total staff and students through one month. Would lead to believe prior infection/immunity is playing some role in this low level of current infections.
hard to say, but it might also bear out the position that the very young don't contract, or spread, easily.

As FR stated above, the data set is incomplete and not well parsed though, so it's hard to say.
trouble
AG
9/15/21 3:40 pm

35 available hospital beds

1 available ICU bed

65 available ventilators

27 Covid patients on ventilators

56 ICU patients

31 Covid ICU patients
FlyRod
I did see (I think?) where BCHD is starting to track breakthrough cases. That would be a nice piece of data to add.
cavscout96
AG
I think I heard it on the radio. something like 800?? that seems awful high though. I may have mis-heard.
cavscout96
AG
OK, 800 was state-wide.

the rate looks like 2.5% of vaccinated folks , on average still get infected.
FlyRod
And then there are all the obvious follow ups to those cases: ages, health, which vaccine, time from vaccine, etc.

Maybe I'm just OCD about wanting to see more data.
GoodOleBryanBoy
Two simple pieces of data needed desperately IMO

1) Breakthrough cases
2) How many have contracted covid for a second time.
FlyRod
Agreed, and such data could be provided without violating privacy issues.
TexAg1987
When you pre-register for the tamu covid test they ask your address. I would think that most would list their local address. No reference to permanent address.
Certainly all the staff/faculty would be local.
Expert Analysis
AG
Regis T said:

Two simple pieces of data needed desperately IMO

1) Breakthrough cases
2) How many have contracted covid for a second time.

On breakthrough cases it would be good to know if symptomatic or not. I bet there are way more than the positive tests show. I would also like to know how long ago they were vaccinated. WHO and FDA are saying boosters are not needed but studies show waning affects of the vaccine or antibodies from previous infection.
First Page Last Page
Page 150 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.