B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,096,232 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe they'll report on the male deaths later this week.
Post removed:
by user
cavscout96
AG
so 5% of tests came back positive.

assuming all of these had some sort of symptoms. good assumption? maybe not as some I may have been tested in response to a workplace requirement or prior to a medical procedure?

wondering so we can have a realistic expectation of what to expect now that A&M has started it's mandatory testing protocol.

anyone have any data on this?

-- what % of asymptomatic tests (taken for whatever reason) come back positive? ----

1%, .5, .05

even if it is .5%, you're looking at upwards of 200-300 additional cases that might hit in the next two weeks -that otherwise would have gone undetected. One could argue that this is actually a good thing, but it must be viewed in the right context to avoid folks losing their minds.
Tookieclothespin
AG
I'm more interested in hearing about staffing.

The actual ICU ward may be full, but can't almost any bed function as something like an ICU spot if there's proper staffing for it?

My understanding is that the ICU is mainly different due to staffing and more constant monitoring and care.

FJB
trouble
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

trouble said:

I'm aware of a few males that have died recently too. The ages of those passing seems to be getting lower, at least to me anyway.

Yes, at least 2 males under 50 recently. I believe one was in his 30s.
Post removed:
by user
trouble
AG
Tookieclothespin said:

I'm more interested in hearing about staffing.

The actual ICU ward may be full, but can't almost any bed function as something like an ICU spot if there's proper staffing for it?

My understanding is that the ICU is mainly different due to staffing and more constant monitoring and care.

Yes and no. Not all beds have the monitoring needed for a critically ill patient. That's why S&W is using PACU (recovery room) beds because those are usually equipped with permanent monitors. Most hospitals don't have a bunch of portable monitors.

Staffing is a problem though. Some hospital systems have reported that they lost as much as 30% of their experienced critical care staff. Traveling nurses are an option to help but staffing is difficult everywhere.
Donny Hall
trouble said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

trouble said:

I'm aware of a few males that have died recently too. The ages of those passing seems to be getting lower, at least to me anyway.

Yes, at least 2 males under 50 recently. I believe one was in his 30s.
I can confirm the male in his 30s. He is my friend's brother-in-law. He leaves behind his wife and four children. It was a 10 week battle.
scd88
AG
Once that pneumonia hits and the fluid gels up, that's a tough battle to overcome.
Sarvab
sorry to hear about your friend. Did he have any co-morbidities that are known for this disease like obesity, diabetes, hypertension, etc?
trouble
AG
Presser about to start. I'll try to take notes
trouble
AG
Mask mandates are still illegal.

More staff/students positive right now than a week into school last year.

Dr Sullivan reminding people that voluntary mask wearing is still allowed. Reinforced that masking, distancing, and vaccination can keep schools open.

Talked some about the increased transmission of Delta.

All 6 reported deaths were unvaccinated.

Opening to questions for the superintendents
Is there a number or percentage of positives to close schools?
No thresholds in place in CS. Plan to stay open as long as there are appropriate staff numbers

Bryan also does not have thresholds set either. Parents will get emails if a positive in the class.

How many kids are wearing masks?

Bryan 25-50% students are wearing masks. Varies greatly by campus

CS not going to try to guess

Feed dropped. BRB
trouble
AG
Consequences for bringing a sick child to school. Cleaning protocols

CS- no punitive measures. Usual send to nurse and send home. Same cleaning as last year.

Bryan- please don't send your kids sick. Same, send to nurse and send home. Deep cleaning, etc.

How many of the of the positives in Bryan/CS were vaccinated/previous infection?

We don't have numbers on that.

Paris ISD dress code?

Bryan, appears clever but legal says it's not a loophole

CS, have not even had the discussion. No plans to do so

Dammit it, Facebook. I can barely hear this questions.

Pfizer supply? Don't know exact numbers

At what age level are we seeing the positives in schools?

Check out district dashboard. Neither super has those numbers at hand.

That's all, folks
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Thank you. I was typing a summary and became frustrated, so I'm thankful you kept up.
trouble
AG
It was esp difficult today. I don't think I missed any of the important parts
dubi
AG
trouble said:

Likely because there were zero important parts.
toolshed
AG
Of course they don't have relevant info handy, good grief.

Interesting (I could be wrong on ages), FDA cleared vaccines for 15 and up? Previously available to 12 and up. Still available to 12 and up?

I gave it to my kids, and wife, last October. Kids symptoms were very minor. Son had fever and cough a couple days. Daughter felt bad, maybe fever one evening and went to bed early and maybe felt bad the next morning. certainly mild symptoms compared to my wife and I.

My 6 YO son told me a couple weeks ago during a conversation "You make me sick!"! What the crap, I respond. He says "yeah, you gave me Corona!".

Well, he's not wrong. I'm glad we can laugh about it now. I know it's very serious for some people, and pray my family is never affected seriously by Covid and we all love on with minimal to no long term issues.
trouble
AG
dubi said:

trouble said:

Likely because there were zero important parts.
I meant like any actual answers
trouble
AG
8/23/21 1:20pm

45 available hospital beds

0 available ICU beds

71 available ventilators

60 ICU patients

36 Covid ICU patients
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
For clarification, it seems there isn't a "fixed" number of ICU beds as the available is zero, but patients move up and down.

Is the thought or reason staffing? If so, does that send a mixed signal to the community? I hear that and think wow, there's no where for people to go, but if it's a staffing issue then that is a different problem.

I'm not trying to derail, or create a disagreement, just trying to understand the variance on numbers and the messages I'm hearing from local outlets.
FlyRod

Quote:

Is the thought or reason staffing? If so, does that send a mixed signal to the community? I hear that and think wow, there's no where for people to go, but if it's a staffing issue then that is a different problem.

Different problem but same outcome; if patients can't literally get the care they need because there aren't enough caregivers, then patients kind of have "nowhere to go" in that scenario.

But the question is a good one and I'm curious as well if there are staffing issues.
trouble
AG
My understanding is that all the physical permanent (as in located in the actual ICU) beds are full. That can definitely change from day to day.

It's fluid in that there are some beds in other areas that can be converted to ICU use but that's always a last resort.

I can say as a former critical care nurse, I always wanted to be in the unit. I was floated to take care of critical care overflow in the ER and it's not fun.
Post removed:
by user
nwspmp
Ukraine Gas Expert said:

For clarification, it seems there isn't a "fixed" number of ICU beds as the available is zero, but patients move up and down.

I'm not trying to derail, or create a disagreement, just trying to understand the variance on numbers and the messages I'm hearing from local outlets.
Staffing and cleaning/disinfection of a room once someone leaves are probably both reasons for variability in ICU bed count. However, the effect is the same. If there isn't staff to monitor/work a bed, then there isn't a bed available.
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Gotcha, thanks for the answer.
Tailgate88
AG
trouble said:

8/23/21 1:20pm

45 available hospital beds

0 available ICU beds

71 available ventilators

60 ICU patients

36 Covid ICU patients
Question: are ventilators used in a non-ICU or non-surgical setting? Meaning if you are sick enough to need to be on a Vent wouldn't you be in ICU?

trouble
AG
In other places, there are some units where stable ventilated patients are admitted. I don't believe either of the hospital systems here do that.

So, yes, ventilated patients would be in the ICU or the OR.

We currently have enough ventilators to use on every ICU patient if needed.
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks
EBrazosAg
AG
And . Not every ICU patient is on a ventilator. Some are on HFNC - high flow nasal cannula. Or CPAP which is similar to the snoring devices at home.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
trouble
AG
Not all require supplemental oxygen at all. You can be in ICU for lots of reasons.
cavscout96
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

I think you know the answer to that, but are just asking it for effect.
no. serious question. not surprised, but I'm always looking for add'l data points. more data = better decisions.
Post removed:
by user
trouble
AG
I'm extremely libertarian and I have a problem with it from a healthcare worker stance. I'm always going to prioritize based on acuity and survivability.
EBrazosAg
AG
If you are in the ICU w Covid you are on O2.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cavscout96
AG
trouble said:

I'm extremely libertarian and I have a problem with it from a healthcare worker stance. I'm always going to prioritize based on acuity and survivability.

Basic triage principles, right? When resources are constrained, expectant are made comfortable while resources go to those who can be saved.

When resources are abundant, every effort is made to save even those who are unlikely to make it.

I think Slocum misunderstood my post. What I was asking was, have any facilities been so overcrowded with CV that they had to turn away car wrecks?

Maybe so. I am genuinely interested to know.

First Page Last Page
Page 143 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.