B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,099,409 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The health district was made aware of the lack of reporting at the end of January and has been working with Curative to resolve the reporting issue since that time.

Really?

Six weeks to resolve a reporting issue?
Oogway
toolshed said:

Good grief...

Commence the hand wringing and click bait headlines!
I expect headlines to be eye-catching, that's as old as when broadsheets were all there was, but does no one read article content anymore? What is wrong with people?

That being said, I do miss the days when communities nationwide had investigative reporters instead of a corporate owner/media conglomerate and more importantly, when the law forbid foreign ownership of American broadcast media. (Rupert Murdoch led the charge for changes in 1995 and eventually succeeded)

More transparency is a good thing. A little more clarity provided by the 'leaders' is what everyone should expect and receive.
theNetSmith
AG
cavscout96 said:

Or they were mostly in January when all of the student, faculty, and staff were required to test
I highly doubt many students or faculty went to St. Teresa's to get tested.
cavscout96
AG
Yep. Posted before I read the article
cavscout96
AG
Still mind boggling that it took 6 weeks to fix.
Post removed:
by user
dubi
AG
Quote:

Brighter outlook for US as vaccinations rise, deaths fall; new virus variant detected in India
The Eagle led with a positive headline for the first time in a year!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

Brighter outlook for US as vaccinations rise, deaths fall; new virus variant detected in India
The Eagle led with a positive headline for the first time in a year!
Two weeks later:

Quote:

CDC officials pressure Abbott to shut Texas down as new mutant variant from India may threaten entire world.
jeffk
AG
Saw this yesterday and immediately thought of the conversations we've had here about media coverage:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/24/world/covid-coverage-by-the-us-national-media-is-an-outlier-a-study-finds.html
Rapier108
jeffk said:

Saw this yesterday and immediately thought of the conversations we've had here about media coverage:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/24/world/covid-coverage-by-the-us-national-media-is-an-outlier-a-study-finds.html
Much of it was political (weaponized to get Trump out of office), but the media always loves to be as negative as possible. Locally, there are times that KBTX's first 5+ stories are all coronavirus (might have a brief weather bit at the beginning if severe weather is possible) and when WTAW does their news in the morning and evening, there have been times where it is 100% coronavirus. North Korea could fire off a nuke and take out Seoul and it would get 10 seconds while the virus would still get the rest.

That said, I was actually surprised at the lack of hysteria in our local media about the reporting error. I fully expected it to be reported as the end of the world.
trouble
AG
I think with hospitalizations dropping in the same time period, there wasn't really anything to build it up.
jeffk
AG
Personally I think they just realize negative headlines generate attention/clicks and they want to make more money.
trouble
AG
Yup. Happy news doesn't pay the bills
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 88 new confirmed cases, 9 probable cases, 25 (+3) Brazos County residents hospitalized, 15,686 tests, 0 deaths

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 47,779 (+1,343) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 3/24/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 20,055 (+188). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 10.7% of Brazos County residents (16 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 37 (-1); 6.47% of total hospital capacity as of 3/23/21.
scd88
AG
Thanks, MiMi.
theNetSmith
AG
i thought it was going to be 2000+ today?
theNetSmith
AG
so they counted all the additional tests -- I'm assuming from the missing St. Teresa's numbers -- but didn't add the positives as well?
Post removed:
by user
Ratsa
They did add the positive test results, at least on the KBTX COVID dashboard. Of the 2,029 positive tests, 32 are still considered active, and 1,997 are considered recovered.
threecatcorner
If you want to see how bad COVID transmission is for an area, CDC now has a map where you can look up state and county. Currently Brazos is red (high), which is somehow higher than either Dallas or Harris County.

You can also scroll down to see a map of the whole country (Oklahoma is mostly blue/low, and Florida is mostly red/high).

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view

You might have to scroll down a little to see the county view where it lets you specify state and county.
trouble
AG
We have a smaller population and mandatory testing for one of the age groups most likely to be asymptomatic.

Those same policies wouldn't impact the numbers as much in a larger community.
Bucketrunner
Like seeing positive cases with low death percentages. That's how we keep getting to herd immunity.
KidDoc
AG
I've been seeing PUI (patients under investigation) since 3/1 and every pediatric patient with symptoms I have tested has been negative except for the few who had confirmed + COVID contacts at home.

There are many other viruses circulating that are not COVID but with similar symptoms. Thankfully they are not as dangerous as COVID to the elderly population.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 66 new confirmed cases, 14 probable cases, 25 (+0) Brazos County residents hospitalized, 733 tests, 0 deaths

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 49,775 (+1,996) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 3/25/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 21,425 (+1370). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 11.5% of Brazos County residents (16 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 37 (-1); 6.45% of total hospital capacity as of 3/24/21.
trouble
AG
Not political, leave that stuff elsewhere.

I mentioned before that the most important thing to look at two weeks post opening was hospitalizations. So here's the info from 2 weeks ago, you can compare to MiMi's post for the current numbers.
dubi
AG
The Eagle today 3/26/2021
Quote:

Brazos County health officials reported 66 new cases of COVID-19 among county residents on Friday.

With Friday's new cases, the county's overall number of cases recorded since the pandemic began rose to 21,068.
They led with the good news that followed up with the extremely useless metric of "total number of cases recorded".
TommyBrady
AG
We have now vaccinated more people than have tested positive for it in Brazos County. Hope people continue to get the vaccine and we keep getting allocated plenty
GiveEmHellBill
AG
trouble said:

Not political, leave that stuff elsewhere.

I mentioned before that the most important thing to look at two weeks post opening was hospitalizations. So here's the info from 2 weeks ago, you can compare to MiMi's post for the current numbers.

So there are fewer people hospitalized now than there were two weeks ago when the mask mandate was first lifted.

I'm sure that will lead off the news on KBTX tonight.
trouble
AG
There are 25 Brazos county residents (I didn't bother to look up non residents) as of Wednesday, same as 2 weeks ago.

They make up a smaller percentage of the hospital census than 2 weeks ago.
MiMi
S
No weekend updates from BCHD

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 50,916 (+1,141) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 3/26/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 22,919 (+1,494). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 12.3% of Brazos County residents (16 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 36 (-1); 6.27% of total hospital capacity as of 3/25/21.

MiMi
S
No weekend updates from BCHD

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 51,503 (+587) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 3/27/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 24,302 (+1,383). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 13% of Brazos County residents (16 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 37 (+1); 6.35% of total hospital capacity as of 3/26/21.
texasaggie04
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

So there are fewer people hospitalized now than there were two weeks ago when the mask mandate was first lifted.

I believe an appropriate headline would be "vaccines doing their job".
MiMi
S
Today's numbers (includes the full weekend): 105 new confirmed cases, 7 probable cases, 27 (+2) Brazos County residents hospitalized, 1,586 tests, 0 deaths

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 52,018 (+515) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 3/28/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 24,603 (+310). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 13.2% of Brazos County residents (16 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 31 (-6); 6.35% of total hospital capacity as of 3/27/21.
cavscout96
AG
texasaggie04 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

I believe an appropriate headline would be "vaccines doing their job".
Not sensational enough bro.... you wont get any clicks or like with that blah headline.....

--------------------------------------

Try:

The End is Near as Infections Plummet

or

Herd Immunity on the Horizon as Vaccines, Anti-bodies, and Natural Immunity Break the Vector Chain

or

Prepare to Kick-off your Summer! Vaccine Roll-out Improves as Infection Rates Tumble
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 29 new confirmed cases, 17 probable cases, 30 (+3) Brazos County residents hospitalized, 896 tests, 3 deaths - all hospitalized; two females in their 50's and one male in his 50's

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 52,500 (+482) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 3/29/21. The number of fully vaccinated people is now 24,750 (+147). According to the state's vaccination dashboard, 13.25% of Brazos County residents (16 yrs and older) are now fully vaccinated.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 39 (+8); 6.99% of total hospital capacity as of 3/28/21.
First Page Last Page
Page 124 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.