B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,095,964 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
trouble said:

Except for the long term care residents, it's often a HUGE pain in the ass to get the MPOA to sign consents. It was one of the more annoying parts of my job when I was running an assisted living.
Serious question.

If an individual has an MPOA, can they still sign for themselves or does it HAVE to be the MPOA? I kind of get the idea of, say an Alzheimer's patient, being incapacitated to the point of not being "competent" enough to consent, but I'd think in most other instances the actual resident/patient could sign of their own accord. No?

Commentary: You would think this situation would illicit a near-immediate response from whoever held the MPOA, right?

-----

Still, there were a couple of weeks of lead time to at least start working this. Are we really at the point that 88% of 1A is:

1) incapable of consent

or

2) Has an MPOA that , somehow, requires another to consent on their behalf, AND, said person who can provide consent is dragging their feet in responding to a request to authorize vaccination for the MOST vulnerable population?

I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, but this is just unfathomable to me. Bordering on criminal negligence on their part.

How much of the remaining 88% do you think are in tis situation based on your experience?
Nosmo
AG
State just posted "1/4/2021 update" (for yesterday's input 1/3/2021).

Brazos county at 1422 shots, or 20 more than the day before.

Averaged 106 shots per day over the past 7 days.

The state shows using 52% of the doses available.

Brazos county shows using 28% of doses available.
trouble
AG
You have to be unable to make medical decisions for yourself in order for your MPOA to sign. That might be temporary because of trauma/other illness or permanent because of mental status.

If a patient can understand and evaluate potential risks and benefits, the MPOA cannot sign for them.

Unfortunately, a lot of the population of long term care (not assisted living) needs an MPOA for consent. Also unfortunately, a lot of those have MPOA or other family who are simply unavailable other than making the payment every month. Unless something has changed, consents can't be electronic. So with some folks, you are mailing the consent and waiting for it to come back.
jeffk
AG
Consent form I had to sign was carbon triplicate and could not be signed electronically. Luckily I'm local and could go by the facility and sign in person.
trouble
AG
Wow. I haven't seen a triplicate consent in a long long time
jeffk
AG
CVS is the provider at this particular facility, so I'm not sure if that's their call or someone above them on the chain of command.
cavscout96
AG
I believe you, but that's just stupid.

If I can bank electronically, close on real estate electronically, and digitally sign countless legal and classified documents electronically, why on God's green Earth can I not provide consent electronically.

The human race is doomed.
trouble
AG
Lots of idiotic no electronic medical crap. It's annoying af.
lockett93
AG
Monday's results include:

140 (-5) Covid in hospital
-4 PCR cases today than this day last week
14% in the 18-24 age group (15 people)

Spreadsheet updated, chart tab updated.

LINK TO SPREADSHEET AND CHARTS
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 152 new confirmed cases, 17 probable cases, 61 (+0) Brazos county residents hospitalized, 1456 tests, 3 deaths - two hospitalized females in their 90s and one hospitalized female in her 70s.

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 1422 (+20) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 1/4/21.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 155 (+15); 25.58% of total hospital capacity as of 1/3/21
FlyRod
With the TAMU mandatory testing underway, presumably we are going to see some pretty big spikes (like today) for awhile? Haven't heard anything about new "clusters" in awhile.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

With the TAMU mandatory testing underway, presumably we are going to see some pretty big spikes (like today) for awhile? Haven't heard anything about new "clusters" in awhile.
maybe --- sounds like a big proportion of the folks I know that work there are taking it pretty seriously and limited their outside contacts over the holidays so, maybe not a big spike after all? Who knows?
trouble
AG
We'll still see a spike. Mostly of asymptomatic or presymptomatic cases.
cavscout96
AG
trouble said:

We'll still see a spike. Mostly of asymptomatic or presymptomatic cases.
certainly, but how "big" is the question.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Wrong thread
Oogway
MiMi said:

Today's numbers: 152 new confirmed cases, 17 probable cases, 61 (+0) Brazos county residents hospitalized, 1456 tests, 3 deaths

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 1422 (+20) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 1/4/21.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 155 (+15); 25.58% of total hospital capacity as of 1/3/21
Is it true that there are no ICU beds available for our region or is that rumor?
gigem92
AG
KBTX is reporting that Brazos County ICU bed occupancy is at 106%
trouble
AG
It's true.

What's not true is that they are full of Covid patients which is what the media is trying to suggest
cavscout96
AG
trouble said:

It's true.

What's not true is that they are full of Covid patients which is what the media is trying to suggest
trouble
AG
St Joe's is still doing elective procedures. I don't know about BSW. Hospital admins could ease the ICU load if they felt it necessary.
Oogway
trouble said:

It's true.

Would that matter? COVID or not? I mean if someone needs an ICU bed, what do they do, yank someone older out of one? (not trying to offend anyone) send them out of region like the El Paso area had to do? Just say, sorry you're time is up, it was first come first served'?
It's not something I've ever spent much time learning about. It seems like the capacities fluctuate across areas, states, and the nation in general. Must be rough for folks whose relative gets flown a couple hundred miles away to have to try and deal with. When the levels go down, do they allow that person to be transferred back?
Oogway
trouble said:

St Joe's is still doing elective procedures. I don't know about BSW. Hospital admins could ease the ICU load if they felt it necessary.
You replied while I posted, thanks for that info. I didn't know that ICU was flexible in that regard.
Rapier108
Based on the deaths lately, with the exception of yesterday's as I know about that case (not family/friend, but know who it was through acquaintances), it looks like the latest nursing home outbreak is sadly coming to its inevitable ending. EMS runs to the location have stopped, but now all of those people in the hospital (I'd bet they make up half the local patients or more) are starting to succumb to their existing health issues plus the virus.

And like always, I would say the name of the facility, but unless staff says it is okay to do so, I'm not going to risk a ban. I will say that most of the people who would have been at this facility would have been in extremely poor health to begin with, far worse than just a regular nursing home. I'm sure Trouble knows which one I'm referring to.
trouble
AG
[We are cleaning up this thread to keep it numbers related. Because of the wide range of discussion concerning vaccinations and available medical procedures all discussion of those subjects needs to be started in a different thread. -Staff]
nought
AG
Mayor Nelson was on the radio a day or two ago, and actually had some great common sense things to say about the hospital occupancy percentages.

Hospitals want to be profitable. When the physical beds aren't completely full, they want to give nursing staff a break, so they don't schedule shifts for them. This makes the "available bed" count go down, which artificially raises how high occupancy is.

Likewise, he said that the same thing happens when the state doesn't let the hospitals schedule elective procedures. If they can't do those procedures, they obviously don't need as many staff, so they schedule less shifts. Less shifts means less staffed beds, and again occupancy looks like it is going through the roof.

What the media needs to be asking for is the numerator (patients in beds) and the denominator (number of beds in the facility, including those available and empty that could be staffed if need be).

That wouldn't fit the narrative, however.
lockett93
AG
Tuesday's results include:

155 (+15) Covid in hospital
+66 PCR cases today than this day last week
18% in the 18-24 age group (27 people)

cavscout96
AG
nought said:

Mayor Nelson was on the radio a day or two ago, and actually had some great common sense things to say about the hospital occupancy percentages.

Hospitals want to be profitable. When the physical beds aren't completely full, they want to give nursing staff a break, so they don't schedule shifts for them. This makes the "available bed" count go down, which artificially raises how high occupancy is.

Likewise, he said that the same thing happens when the state doesn't let the hospitals schedule elective procedures. If they can't do those procedures, they obviously don't need as many staff, so they schedule less shifts. Less shifts means less staffed beds, and again occupancy looks like it is going through the roof.

What the media needs to be asking for is the numerator (patients in beds) and the denominator (number of beds in the facility, including those available and empty that could be staffed if need be).

That wouldn't fit the narrative, however.
like all math... garbage in = garbage out

To his credit, Nelson is absolutely correct. I heard him talking this on the radio the other day.
Oogway
Apologies for derailing with the ICU questions, but thanks everybody for the additional info, especially the bit from the mayor. If you don't ask, then you don't always learn new perspectives.
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 162 new confirmed cases, 6 probable cases, 64 (+3) Brazos county residents hospitalized, 925 tests, 0 deaths

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 1464 (+42) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 1/5/21.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 160 (+5); 25.77% of total hospital capacity as of 1/4/21
lockett93
AG
Wednesday's results include:

160 (+5) Covid in hospital
+91 PCR cases today than this day last week
13% in the 18-24 age group (21 people)

MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 175 new confirmed cases, 56 probable cases, 58 (-6) Brazos county residents hospitalized, 1208 tests, 0 deaths

Current Brazos County vaccination numbers: 1771 (+307) people vaccinated with at least one dose as of 1/6/21.

Total COVID hospitalizations in Region N: 170 (+10); 27.96% of total hospital capacity as of 1/5/21
dubi
AG
Given the mass testing at A&M, those numbers are not surprising.
KidDoc
AG
dubi said:

Given the mass testing at A&M, those numbers are not surprising.
I have to disagree and with the only 1200 test. I am pretty certain that does not include A&M testing which should be in the 60,000+ range with all students and faculty. Also with testing tens of thousands of asymptomatic people a 10% positive rate would be shocking.

I think this represents a pretty expected small spike after family gatherings and travel for the holidays.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dubi
AG
I was just looking at the positives going up, not the total number of tests. But i guess they should go hand in hand.

I wonder what is the delay factor for A&M to report the Brazos County cases?
Rapier108
dubi said:

I was just looking at the positives going up, not the total number of tests. But i guess they should go hand in hand.

I wonder what is the delay factor for A&M to report the Brazos County cases?
Don't forget that reported "tests" doesn't mean tests done yesterday. It is just the number of tests reported to the BCHD. We have no clue when those tests were actually done.

That's why number of tests is a worthless metric because we don't know how many tests have actually been conducted, only when were reported.
First Page Last Page
Page 113 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.