B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,095,913 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Today's numbers: 61 new confirmed cases, 14 probable cases, 33 Brazos county residents hospitalized, 1,134 tests, 0 deaths
techno-ag
AG
I sincerely appreciate the calm and rational voices on this thread, particularly those in healthcare who know what you're talking about. Very grateful for your input.
scd88
AG
Thanks, MiMi.

My daughter is one of the negative results from yesterday. Lots of students are getting tested off campus and contributing to our county numbers. I'm not complaining; just making an observation.
jeffk
AG
I'm glad the university is encouraging students to get tested before heading home. It'll create a large bubble in our local testing stats, but those results could help students plan their return to wherever they'll be going and possibly reduce the chances of spreading an infection to more vulnerable family members.
trouble
AG
Exactly. This round of testing is to hopefully keep asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic carriers from taking it home to their families.
scd88
AG
I feel like TAMU has done a really good job with Covid. Look back on it - campus was kept open, students were not sent home, football games, etc.
Expert Analysis
AG
On campus tests are counting toward our numbers as well.

This large increase in the number of tests should continue for the next week. Nice to see so few positives. Contact tracing and a few clusters have really affected our number lately. The clusters at the placers with older populations are not good and the reason for the large numbers of recent deaths.

I hope the university testing is taken seriously by the students. If they are going home to see family they should make sure they are covid negative. Being around a bunch of college students who are mostly asymptomatic is one thing, but the older population is susceptible. You shouldn't want to be potentially responsible for hospitalization or worse of your family members. My inlaws are having some level of a thanksgiving gathering this year, seems crazy to me as they are old and not in great shape, hope it is just the immediate family.
lockett93
AG
Thursday's results include:

90's - 0
80's - 1
70's - 3
13 from a cluster

Region N hospitals:
73 (+0) Covid patients, 17 (+2) in ICU
646 Total Beds, 505 Total Staffed Beds, 428 Occupied
2 ICU Beds Available, 54 ICU Beds Occupied

-34 PCR cases today than this day last week
49% in the 18-24 age group (30 people)

Spreadsheet updated, chart tab updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q
FlyRod
Appreciate the clarification about ICU capacity, and indeed today's numbers show a big change there (for the better).
cavscout96
AG
Expert Analysis said:

.... My inlaws are having some level of a thanksgiving gathering this year, seems crazy to me as they are old and not in great shape, hope it is just the immediate family.

Not throwing stones, just another perspective.

If they are old, then they are old enough to make risk decisions.

One of my co-workers and I were talking to this the other day. Our collective take away was that you can't be so scared of dying that you stop living.

Again, just another perspective. YMMV.
Belton Ag
AG
We went along for months without my parents (70's and dad going thru chemo) or my MIL (70's, decent health) being around us and the kids. After a while I just couldn't keep them away, they were lonely and wanted to see their grandkids. We're having thanksgiving at our house, just the 7 of us, with no hesitations.

Am I going to keep my dad from holding his granddaughters while he wastes away and dies from cancer because we're frightened of COVID? I've had this conversation with him. He doesn't want that and I'm not going to do it. We're going to celebrate what is likely to be our last thanksgiving with our hero.
MiMi
S
I'm curious what other parents of local school-age kids are seeing reported from their children's schools (CSISD or BISD; I understand there may be more than one private school in BCS experiencing a 'cluster'). I have a child at CSHS and have noticed an increase in emails recently informing us of confirmed cases - 12 students and 1 staff member since Nov 9. I'm happy with way CSISD has managed the school year and that my child can be in school. Fingers crossed that this is just a Halloween spike and in-person classes will resume after Thanksgiving. How are the other local schools doing? Does CSISD (or BISD) report overall confirmed case numbers?
jeffk
AG
We've gotten about 1-2 emails a week for the past month about a positive student or staff member at our son's school. (He's at a charter here in town.) They haven't had to close campus since late Sept, but have had to send smaller groups of students to quarantine due to contact tracing.
Expert Analysis
AG
I completely agree, if I didn't we wouldn't be going. These restrictions states are putting in are unamerican. Let people make their own choice.

I'm going to the campus drive through testing tomorrow. Hope it's a saliva test. The up the nose test is a little uncomfortable.
JMac03
AG
On TAMU campus it's mouth swabs.
gigem92
AG
The drive-through one on campus is a saliva test.

I worked there on Tuesday and again today.
new straw
I'll respond for Joe's. Our managers are out because covid. We have plenty of icu beds. The problem occurs when you have any patient who needs bipap. When they dono need that
new straw
You have to understand
Belton Ag
AG
MiMi said:

I'm curious what other parents of local school-age kids are seeing reported from their children's schools (CSISD or BISD; I understand there may be more than one private school in BCS experiencing a 'cluster'). I have a child at CSHS and have noticed an increase in emails recently informing us of confirmed cases - 12 students and 1 staff member since Nov 9. I'm happy with way CSISD has managed the school year and that my child can be in school. Fingers crossed that this is just a Halloween spike and in-person classes will resume after Thanksgiving. How are the other local schools doing? Does CSISD (or BISD) report overall confirmed case numbers?
We have 1 at Sam Rayburn and 1 at Johnson in Bryan. We've had a few emails in the last few weeks from Rayburn and surprisingly none from Johnson. As a matter of fact, I think we've only received 1 or 2 from Johnson all year. Each email just says there was a person known to have tested positive that was on campus, and lists the date they were last on campus.

If I'm not mistaken, in the BCHD press conference last week, Sullivan said they're not seeing in person classes as drivers of infections, so I would be shocked if either of the districts went back on line after Thanksgiving. And if they did that with such short notice - Thanksgiving is next week - I'd be pretty pissed off.

cavscout96
AG
I only know of one private school that has gone all virtual. I think they plan to head back to class after Thanksgiving.

I haven't talked to the folks I know there for a week or so.
BCSWguru
St. Joseph went virtual for 7 school days at the high school level. Junior high and elementary levels never went virtual, but still offer that option for a few families.
EBrazosAg
AG
St Joe was virtual for HS a ways back. Allen went virtual for HS and MS only. LS and Pre K remain in person. I understand they plan to have HS and MS back after Thanksgiving.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 80 new confirmed cases, 33 probable cases, 30 Brazos county residents hospitalized, 173 tests, 0 deaths
lockett93
AG
Friday's results include:

90's - 1
80's - 0
70's - 1
5 from a cluster

Region N hospitals:
72 (-1) Covid patients, 16 (-1) in ICU
615 Total Beds, 477 Total Staffed Beds, 388 Occupied
2 ICU Beds Available, 50 ICU Beds Occupied
+21 PCR cases today than this day last week
48% in the 18-24 age group (38 people)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q
BCSWguru
What's the delay in testing numbers? Judging by the line for Covid tests, the number of tests should be way higher.
Expert Analysis
AG
University said they tested 6k people last week in article I read today. This week has to be more than that. Does not appear to be reflected in the numbers the county is reporting. Been a pretty terrible system of reporting info from the start. Doesn't surprise me they haven't improved.
Expert Analysis
AG
gigem92 said:

The drive-through one on campus is a saliva test.

I worked there on Tuesday and again today.

Why was it not a swab test? I was expecting to get swabbed not spit in a tiny tube. Guess it doesn't matter much to me as long as it is accurate.
Process was pretty simple. Would have been better if there was better information about filling out the survey prior to arriving.
I tested just before lunch today and got my results this evening.
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 88 new confirmed cases, 15 probable cases, 32 Brazos county residents hospitalized, 389 tests, 0 deaths
lockett93
AG
Saturday's results include:

90's - 0
80's - 2
70's - 3
16 from a cluster

Region N hospitals:
70 (-2) Covid patients, 16 (+0) in ICU
637 Total Beds, 494 Total Staffed Beds, 402 Occupied
3 ICU Beds Available, 50 ICU Beds Occupied

-9 PCR cases today than this day last week
35% in the 18-24 age group (31 people)

MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 73 new confirmed cases, 8 probable cases, 36 Brazos county residents hospitalized, 396 tests, 0 deaths
lockett93
AG
Sunday's results include:

90's - 0
80's - 0
70's - 2
10 from a cluster

Region N hospitals:
79 (+9) Covid patients, 15 (-1) in ICU
615 Total Beds, 472 Total Staffed Beds, 388 Occupied
2 ICU Beds Available, 51 ICU Beds Occupied

-13 PCR cases today than this day last week
58% in the 18-24 age group (42 people)

MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 52 new confirmed cases, 27 probable cases, 30 Brazos county residents hospitalized, 0 tests, 0 deaths
lockett93
AG
MiMi said:

Today's numbers: 52 new confirmed cases, 27 probable cases, 30 Brazos county residents hospitalized, 0 tests, 0 deaths

I wish someone could answer where the thousands of test results that A&M is doing are being tabulated and reported???
MiMi
S
Quote:

I wish someone could answer where the thousands of test results that A&M is doing are being tabulated and reported???

TAMU COVID-19 Dashboard
Expert Analysis
AG
BCHD said they would be including Brazos County TAMU numbers in their results. Not sure they ever did so.
First Page Last Page
Page 102 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.