B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,095,716 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
lockett93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Monday's results include:

90's - 0
80's - 0
70's - 0
20 from a cluster

Region N hospitals:
74 (+2) Covid patients, 15 (+3) in ICU
581 Total Beds, 477 Total Staffed Beds, 382 Occupied
5 ICU Beds Available, 54 ICU Beds Occupied

+51 PCR cases today than this day last week
52% in the 18-24 age group (47 people)

Spreadsheet updated, chart tab updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q
scd88
AG
Why the sudden spike?
Bunk Moreland
Sudden? I think it's a result of what we're seeing around the country with increases.

Also, rapid tests are not very dependable and its cold/flu season so more people are getting sniffles, coughs, sinus and headaches which leads to more testing. Some will legit have it, others won't but get false positives.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Some will legit have it, others won't but get false positives.
Honest question - which rapid tests are more likely to result in false positives? I thought it is the PCR test that is more likely to give a false positive result because of its high sensitivity, and the rapid antigen test has a higher false negative rate?

I think the recent increase in reported positive cases are due a combination of the nursing home clusters and college students being college students. As a parent of a CSISD student, there has also been an increase of school-age children and CSISD staff testing positive the past week or so. After seeing the groups of school kids in the streets on Halloween, this makes sense. With the postponed TAMU football games and upcoming campus student holiday, my fingers are crossed that we'll see a downturn in reported positive cases.
EBrazosAg
AG
Its clear from the data that the rapid Ag test had higher false positive rates and false negative rates. Negative due to higher viral load required for positive. Negatives... who knows. Multiple theories. But the data is clear.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cavscout96
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

Some will legit have it, others won't but get false positives.
Honest question - which rapid tests are more likely to result in false positives? I thought it is the PCR test that is more likely to give a false positive result because of its high sensitivity, and the rapid antigen test has a higher false negative rate?

I think the recent increase in reported positive cases are due a combination of the nursing home clusters and college students being college students. As a parent of a CSISD student, there has also been an increase of school-age children and CSISD staff testing positive the past week or so. After seeing the groups of school kids in the streets on Halloween, this makes sense. With the postponed TAMU football games and upcoming campus student holiday, my fingers are crossed that we'll see a downturn in reported positive cases.
Check, check, and check.

Also, at least one private school has school has gone virtual for a couple of weeks due to positives and, I think, the associated contact tracing.
new straw
FlyRod
Ok, do we consider the saliva tests TAMU is getting, with a 24-48 hour turnaround "rapid tests?" These are the ones I've had so far and now am concerned about false negatives...
JMac03
AG
I am almost positive not. Rapid are the 15-30 minute ones from what I understand.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Ok, do we consider the saliva tests TAMU is getting, with a 24-48 hour turnaround "rapid tests?" These are the ones I've had so far and now am concerned about false negatives...
It appears those are not the rapid antigen tests. From the TAMU website:

TAMUS-funded COVID tests: The COVID-19 tests are funded by Texas A&M University and provided by Curative, Inc. These tests are PCR tests (to determine an active COVID-19 infection), are collected via mouth swab, and are available to students, faculty and staff.
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 46 new confirmed cases, 18 probable cases, 32 Brazos county residents hospitalized, 55 tests, 0 deaths
trouble
AG
JMac03 said:

I am almost positive not. Rapid are the 15-30 minute ones from what I understand.

This.
FlyRod
Thanks for the clarifications re the TAMU tests.
jeffk
AG
CS78 said:

Have they just stopped tracking or releasing numbers? Haven't seen any mention in a couple days. Is there anywhere to keep up with the current status?

11-17-20

[We are not going to clean up any more mask vs no mask derails on this thread without banning posters. There is the warning. -Staff]

Just reposting this here in case some didn't see the Staff edit on page one.
isitjustme
AG
Brazos Valley COVID Cases and Deaths by Age through 11/17/2020

Age Range Cases Deaths Deaths/Cases

0-29 5,405 0 0.00%
30-39 957 1 0.10%
40-49 739 4 0.54%
50-59 684 9 1.32%
60-69 465 11 2.37%
70-79 267 17 6.37%
80-89 145 27 18.62%
90+ 59 13 22.03%

Total 8,721 82 0.94%

No comment, just FYI.
lockett93
AG
Tuesday's results include:

90's - 0
80's - 0
70's - 3
5 from a cluster

Region N hospitals:
75 (+1) Covid patients, 17 (+2) in ICU
558 Total Beds, 467 Total Staffed Beds, 345 Occupied
9 ICU Beds Available, 47 ICU Beds Occupied

+3 PCR cases today than this day last week
33% in the 18-24 age group (14 people)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q
Post removed:
by user
Expert Analysis
AG
cases and testing should spike the next 10 days with A&M asking everyone to test this week. Will be interesting to see how many tests are actually conducted.
cavscout96
AG
Have any of the clusters been identified? Seems likely that the one last week and this week might be those schools, no?
cavscout96
AG
Makes sense, some will test even though showing no symptoms and will find out they are infected.

Would be interesting to see that particular data set, then track those folks' contact tracing to see which contacts pop hot.

Not conclusive, but would be more granular, to some extent.
Rapier108
cavscout96 said:

Have any of the clusters been identified? Seems likely that the one last week and this week might be those schools, no?
At least two sororities had cases within the last week so that would likely be two of the clusters.

And going back the past 6 weeks, at least 4 nursing homes.

The BCHD never tells us locations unless that information has become public through another source such as A&M, the location of the cluster making it public (Sanderson Farms), or someone going to the local media.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
cavscout96
AG
Seems to me it would make sense to ID clusters.

If for no other reason, then to close any gaps in contact tracing. Seems like someone could say, hey I was there 48 hours ago, maybe I should tell my doc and go get tested so I don't spread it unwittingly.
Rapier108
cavscout96 said:

If for no other reason, then to close any gaps in contact tracing. Seems like someone could say, hey I was there 48 hours ago, maybe I should tell my doc and go get tested so I don't spread it unwittingly.
I remember back in March and April we were saying the same thing. There is nothing prohibiting them from doing it, unless one is talking about a cluster of only related people (single family home or apartment) which does not need to be made public. Other counties sure did give out such information.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Post removed:
by user
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 82 new confirmed cases, 16 probable cases, 36 Brazos county residents hospitalized, 316 tests, 2 deaths - a hospitalized female in her 60's and a hospitalized male in his 70's.
lockett93
AG
Wednesday's results include:

90's - 0
80's - 0
70's - 3
11 from a cluster

Region N hospitals:
73 (-2) Covid patients, 15 (-2) in ICU
730 Total Beds, 587 Total Staffed Beds, 486 Occupied
3 ICU Beds Available, 48 ICU Beds Occupied

+24 PCR cases today than this day last week
45% in the 18-24 age group (37 people)

cavscout96
AG
Rapier108 said:

cavscout96 said:

I remember back in March and April we were saying the same thing. There is nothing prohibiting them from doing it, unless one is talking about a cluster of only related people (single family home or apartment) which does not need to be made public. Other counties sure did give out such information.
so, what you're essentially saying is:

"We (local "leaders," BCHD, the press, etc.) have learned nothing about providing accurate and timely data to the public since March."

sounds about right.....
AggiePhil
AG
lockett93 said:

3 ICU Beds available
FlyRod
I noticed that too AggiePhil. KBTX reports the hospital capacity rates, which have me curious what number motivates POSSIBLE things like lockdowns. I am guessing these things are based (in large part?) on how the local hospital network is holding up. Earlier I posted that I didn't think lockdowns were coming because we were doing so good on hospitalization rates I'm holding out hope those numbers improve soon, but also guessing that that's the metric to pay attention to if you are concerned when things like stay at home orders, shutdowns etc. might be coming.

Hopefully our cases start dropping again soon.
dubi
AG
AggiePhil said:

lockett93 said:

3 ICU Beds available

This is normal for a hospital even before Covid. ICU beds ebb and flow.
trouble
AG
AggiePhil said:

lockett93 said:

3 ICU Beds available

Normal.

There are 33 non Covid patients in ICU beds.
Jimmy Conway
dubi said:

AggiePhil said:

lockett93 said:

3 ICU Beds available

This is normal for a hospital even before Covid. ICU beds ebb and flow.
Correct me if I'm wrong but while they have not pinned an exact number of those ICU beds going to Covid, they have in the past days implied Covid is affecting those numbers. Also, I do not know of another time in recent history we have been down to just 3 ICU beds.
cavscout96
AG
Does a couple of weeks ago count as recent history? Because we were down to 0 one day a few weeks back.

---------

Over half of the ICU beds are non COVID. If it becomes and issue, the most likely thing you'd see is a postponing/rescheduling of elective procedures.

trouble
AG
Many times. Heck, like 2 weeks ago, we were down to one.

I used to work in a large trauma hospital in Austin. Creating space to move patients out of ICU so more could move in was a huge part of my every day job.
trouble
AG
Look at lockett's post. Only 15 of those ICU beds are Covid patients.
First Page Last Page
Page 101 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.