B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,095,960 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
Prune Tracy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jeffk
AG
The testing numbers don't always line up by day with results.
nthomas99
AG
jeffk said:

Ok, yes. The outbreak at the Waterford was covered up (?) by the people on-site, but as soon as the information was presented to the local media, it was well-covered, right?

I'm not saying there aren't people at care facilities getting sick, just wondering why we're attributing new cases and deaths to a new large outbreak that the local media is willfully refusing to cover.

Edit - and if there's evidence of this outbreak that is occurring and you know where it is, why not just say what facility it is?

I don't think most think there's a coverup. Just a willingness to propagate the narrative spun by local officials without question and a complete lack of interest in actively pursuing the facts. Yes they reported Waterford, but only after it was spoon fed to them.

Oh and my favorite, KBTX reporters on twitter exchanging public messages with the BCHD account, lamenting the annoying public and those they deem tin-foil hat folks. Good times for that independent press acting as a check against the government.

When BCHD casually decided to stop reporting hospitalizations, how much coverage did that get? How much pressure did the media put on them? Nada. In the end, it was business owners (and others) calling BCHD, speaking to officials, and filing the paperwork for release of the information.

And for the love, we are in a town with a world class university. At least find some statistics grad student to review your "analysis" of the numbers and trends. The recent round of "by the numbers" post on social media by KBTX are bad bad.
Rapier108
lockett93 said:

Rapier108 said:

jeffk said:

I'm sorry. Why are we assuming there's a coverup of an outbreak at a care facility? Earlier similar outbreaks were reported on by local media. BCS does have a lot of elderly residents that don't reside at care facilities.
As nthomas99, it is pretty easy to infer based on the available information. The BCHD is completely useless in providing information and wouldn't have admitted what was going on at The Waterford until family members went to KBTX and it was finally reported on. Parc at Traditions at least went public on their own.

On that note, just now there was a Broadcastify call to a nursing home (same one I mentioned a while back as having confirmed cases based on previous calls) and the patient is a positive CV case.

Why are you not making the facility name public? The information you have is publicly available... force the media's hand?
Because I cannot prove it; and the last time I posted such information (in that case it was about a shooting in College Station) I had my head taken off. I'm not going to risk a ban. They mod this forum, and especially this thread very tight, so I'm not going to do anything to get another 1 or 3 days off.

If someone else wants to listen, just load the Fire & EMS feed. Most calls of course will be other things (sometimes very bad things you don't want to hear like the death of that 6 year old the other night), but they'll almost always say if the person they're being dispatched for is a positive case, or if the CV questions were answered enough to require the paramedics to "take all universal precautions." Usually this will happen with cases dispatched as "difficulty breathing," "respiratory problems," "sick call," "chest pain," and on occasion things like "unconscious patient," or "respiratory arrest."

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/2543

Early on, I had mentioned that there was a street which was likely a cluster. This was back in March, but at the time I didn't say the name. I will now since that was so long ago. It was Timm Drive in College Station. All within a week or so, there were EMS calls for "difficulty breathing" or other things I mentioned above. It was at least half a dozen different addresses on that one street. While the BCHD never mentioned it; there was no doubt a cluster outbreak there.

And staff, that is in no way intended as any criticism of how his forum/thread are moderated; just that I have no desire to break the rules.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Rapier108
jeffk said:

The testing numbers don't always line up by day with results.
Number of tests just means the number of tests conducted that were reported to the BCHD within the last 24 hours. It is no where near the number actually conducted.

We've seen this many times; few to zero tests reported, and then on usually Tuesday or Wednesday; a huge number of tests reported as they play catch up.

Also, the number of positive tests does not mean that is how many tested positive in the last 24 hours. It just means the number of positive test results reported to the BCHD. Those tests from which the positive cases were found could have been done a day ago, or weeks ago; there is no way to know because they don't release anything but total numbers.

Heck, two of the deaths from a week or so ago dies much earlier; but weren't added to the totals until this month. Their reporting is mediocre at best.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
jeffk
AG
I guess I'd always lean towards incompetence over bad intentions when given the choice. Local media can't afford to hire folks to properly report local news and sports and they certainly aren't going to hire anyone to double check any of their statistical reporting.

From what I see around town, people are largely over a lot of the behavioral safeguards like masking and social distancing. So it's really not surprising that cases would be on the rise in our community.
EBrazosAg
AG
Assuming this social safeguards really impact numbers, that is ....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
lockett93
AG
I guess I picked the wrong day to skip an update.

Last 2 days new cases:
90's - 11
80's - 13
70's -11

Now can we expect the news to actually report about cases at an elderly care facility?
toolshed
AG
Rapier, are the calls your hearing over the scanner still to The Parc? If you feel comfortable saying? I think that's where you previously mentioned emt's being called for.
lockett93
AG
I didn't update yesterday, so can only compare some data across 2 days. I think it's fairly obvious we have another outbreak inside a senior care or living facility. It also seems to be delay in reporting of cases vs the increase in hospitalizations. Normally it's the other way around....

Saturday's results include:

last 2 days increase
90's - 11
80's - 13
70's - 11

Region N hospitals at 61 (+4) Covid patients, 14 (+0) in ICU
44 more cases today than last Saturday
22% in the 18-24 age group (17 people)

Friday numbers:
Region N hospitals at 57 (+3) Covid patients, 14 (+0) in ICU
26 more cases than last Friday
38% in the 18-24 age group (20 people)

Spreadsheet updated, chart tab updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q
Belton Ag
AG
lockett93 said:

I guess I picked the wrong day to skip an update.

Last 2 days new cases:
90's - 11
80's - 13
70's - 9

Now can we expect the news to actually report about cases at an elderly care facility?

This makes it pretty obvious there's an outbreak at a facility somewhere.
Post removed:
by user
Rapier108
Not heard anything CV related to Parc in a long time.

Same for The Waterford if anyone is curious.

Not to say they couldn't have cases again, but I have no reason to think they do.
jeffk
AG
FYI, Parc sends out biweekly updates on testing on residents and staff. They have to be pretty transparent with testing in order to be cleared for visitation under new state health department regulations. Any positive cases ends visitation.
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 26 new confirmed cases, 6 probable cases, 24 Brazos County patients hospitalized, 125 tests, 0 deaths.
Cayman
Thanks for all the updates, information, and discussion. I check the spreadsheet every few days, and although I don't understand a lot it, I noticed the hospitalizations are about 3 times what they were a month ago. Is this trend normal for this year or is it concerning and hospitals getting stretched?
lockett93
AG
I'd guess the increase in hospitalizations is due to an outbreak in an elderly living or care facility.

The % of all beds available is still fine, with a still low % of those beds being used by Covid patients
EBrazosAg
AG
You are correct. There is a living facility with a outbreak. Of course no news media or the HD will cover/confirm.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jeffk
AG
Which facility?
curry97
AG
From my understanding, there are 25 positive cases so far in a SNF in town.
trouble
AG
I ain't scared to be nosy and pushy. Someone message me what facility and I'll start bugging news folks.
jeffk
AG
Same. I'll social media and phone pester folks if there's something that's being willfully ignored. I have a vested interest in care facilities being forthcoming with their cases/testing.
lockett93
AG
Sunday's results include:

Todays increase
90's - 0
80's - 0
70's - 0

Region N hospitals at 64 (+3) Covid patients, 14 (+0) in ICU
5 fewer cases today than last Sunday
73% in the 18-24 age group (19 people)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 32 new confirmed cases, 2 probable cases, 29 Brazos County patients hospitalized, 0 tests, 2 deaths - a female in her 90's and a male in his 70's. Both were hospitalized.
trouble
AG
I've had a few people reach out to me with concerns about 2 facilities that I believe are on the same property.

I'm going to annoy some more media types today.
jeffk
AG
Get'em!
lockett93
AG
Monday's results include:

Todays increase
90's - 0
80's - 1
70's - 0

Region N hospitals at 59 (-5) Covid patients, 14 (-2) in ICU
7 fewer cases today than this day last week
53% in the 18-24 age group (17 people)

Rapier108
trouble said:

I've had a few people reach out to me with concerns about 2 facilities that I believe are on the same property.

I'm going to annoy some more media types today.
Hopefully they'll get off their butts and actually do real journalism for once.

I know which place you're thinking of, and there very well might be an outbreak there, again, based on what I've heard on Broadcastify. That said, the place I am certain has an outbreak is in College Station.
trouble
AG
No one has reached out to me about one in CS.

So far, no responses. Can't say I'm surprised. I am disappointed though.
Rapier108
trouble said:

Well, I can confirm there is a nursing home in Bryan with cases.

They just had a call for a man who was going in and out of consciousnesses despite being on O2 and had to be taken to the hospital. Dispatch told the paramedics to "make sure you read the notes about his special status."

And while I was typing this, they had a second call to the same facility for the same thing. Both patients are in rooms just down the hall from one another. Dispatch asked both medics again if they were "clear on the call notes about the patients 'special status.'"

I hadn't heard something like that since The Waterford.

I'll edit this post after they drop off the patients at the hospital. If these are positive cases, and no reason to think they are not, both units will be out of service for decontamination.

Edit: I didn't hear whether or not they had to decon the ambulances. Had to step away from the computer a few times. I'll keep listening to see if they announce later they're back in service. A long delay means decon.
curry97
AG
Thoughts and Prayers for the patients at that facility. I know several patients there, including at least one that is positive.
FlyRod
Terrible and sad that 8 months into this the vulnerable elderly still cannot be protected.
goatchze
AG
Rapier108 said:

trouble said:

They just had a call for a man who was going in and out of consciousnesses despite being on O2 and had to be taken to the hospital. Dispatch told the paramedics to "make sure you read the notes about his special status."

And while I was typing this, they had a second call to the same facility for the same thing. Both patients are in rooms just down the hall from one another. Dispatch asked both medics again if they were "clear on the call notes about the patients 'special status.'"

I'll edit this post after they drop off the patients at the hospital. If these are positive cases, and no reason to think they are not, both units will be out of service for decontamination.

Edit: I didn't hear whether or not they had to decon the ambulances. Had to step away from the computer a few times. I'll keep listening to see if they announce later they're back in service. A long delay means decon.
Can confirm this as well. SNF in Bryan. 20+ resident cases starting about 14 days ago.
Rapier108
goatchze said:

Rapier108 said:

trouble said:

Can confirm this as well. SNF in Bryan. 20+ resident cases starting about 14 days ago.
That would line up with the slow increase and then a spike in cases among older people, and then the deaths.

Right now, I would say there are at least four nursing homes with positive cases, with at least one being a full blown outbreak. Hopefully the others have been able to at least keep it from spreading much. I guess all we can do is what and see what the numbers look like for the next few weeks since outbreaks at nursing homes generally burn themselves out within 4-6 weeks from when the virus first showed its ugly face.
MiMi
S
Today's preliminary numbers: 42 new confirmed cases, 11 probable cases, 32 Brazos County patients hospitalized, 905 tests, 0 deaths

First Page Last Page
Page 97 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.