B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,095,839 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Today's numbers: 88 new cases, 0 tests, 0 deaths

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/9.7.20.pdf
lockett93
AG
Spreadsheet updated

I switched to Region N for hospitalization data

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q

Charts updated
trouble
AG
And according to the report I heard on wtaw, something like 74 of those are 18-24
K2T2
Fun fact: we currently have the highest weekly new case count, including the peak in late June/early July.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
K2T2 said:

Fun fact: we currently have the highest weekly new case count, including the peak in late June/early July.

nthomas99
AG
K2T2 said:

Wouldn't it be great to know how many hospitalizations this translates into in the coming weeks, to see if they rise like in late June/early July or stay flat because it's mostly college students, so that we could rationally decide if this was a big deal or not?
Post removed:
by user
FlyRod
Another fun fact: provost sent a worried email to TAMU staff about how ftf attendance is declining rapidly, and more and more students are switching to online instruction. This was after vague musings about "overwhelming student demand" for ftf classes.

The kids know and see what's happening out there (cases rising among their peers), and they're not dumb.

Cue the gratuitous harumphing from townies and locals now.
trouble
AG
K2T2 said:

And we had almost 30 hospitalized then.

Now there's only 23 for the entire region.
trouble
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

nthomas99 said:

K2T2 said:

Wouldn't it be great to know how many hospitalizations this translates into in the coming weeks, to see if they rise like in late June/early July or stay flat because it's mostly college students, so that we could rationally decide if this was a big deal or not?
But, we'd rather leave folks in the dark, and hide behind HIPPA!!! - BCHD

Now they are blaming budget for needing to lay off their social media person instead of HIPAA.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

Another fun fact: provost sent a worried email to TAMU staff about how ftf attendance is declining rapidly, and more and more students are switching to online instruction. This was after vague musings about "overwhelming student demand" for ftf classes.

The kids know and see what's happening out there (cases rising among their peers), and they're not dumb.

You've completely mis-characterized her e-mail. I've seen it.

She said - Profs are not authorized to move into online only unless ALL (100%) of the students in the section agree AND it's approved by the Dean.

Nice try though.
cavscout96
AG
cavscout96 said:

FlyRod said:

She said - Profs are not authorized to move into online only unless ALL (100%) of the students in the section agree AND it's approved by the Dean.

Nice try though.
She also stated that "we have no evidence of CV-19 transmission in the classroom."
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 83 new cases, 465 tests, 0 deaths

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/9.8.20.pdf
isitjustme
AG
FlyRod said:

Not saying you're wrong about students not showing up to class - avoiding covid may be a big part lower ftf attendance. But many students quit showing up to class regularly about the 3rd week in. And with all content available online, it is even easier not to come to class. Plus they can drink, eat, not wear a mask, dress how they want, sleep until class starts, etc when they attend online vs in person.

The only drawback, which is quite large, is that they will not learn as much when taking classes online as compared to in-person. So they won't be as well prepared for the workforce in their chosen field of study. But since most universities are following this same model, our graduates won't be at a disadvantage in the job market.

On thread topic, active cases are now over 1,000, roughly 4X what is was just a month ago. And the vast majority of this growth is from new cases in the 18-24 y.o. range. Some students may be avoiding covid by not coming to class, but many are clearly finding ways to expose themselves.
plain_o_llama
It has been a while, but I seem to remember attendance in the large classes would cycle a good bit. When you discover that the class is sticking to the textbook and the study guide it seems pretty tempting to skip the lectures in some classes.

I'm not surprised that someone would sign up for FTF and then find themselves thinking it is not worth getting out, perhaps riding a bus, etc. when zoom is an option. And since online as an option has been mandated (I think that is true), the profs and lecturers have a hard time coming up with ways to encourage attendance in person.

Perhaps this is a Covid calculation or it might be college students being college students.

<and agrab86 makes the same point while I am typing> :-)
FlyRod
Not disagreeing with either of you above. I do wonder what students were actually told about what classes would look like, given multiple admin sources insisting that the demand for ftf was overwhelming. Also curious in light of the fact that enrollment went UP during the summer when everything was online.

I haven't seen the data yet but am curious about how many students actually withdrew after that due date.

I do think its smart TAMU hasn't done what other univs have done and started telling students to go home. I hope that continues.
FlyRod
Quote:

Nice try though.

I said nothing about what the email said about what profs could or could not do with their classes, as that was not relevant to my point about students increasingly switching from ftf to online THEMSELVES.

Nice try though.

Glad the high case rate still isn't translating into hospitalizations.
redd38
AG
FlyRod said:

Face to face attendance always rapidly declines in the first few weeks of the semester
lockett93
AG
K2T2 said:

INCORRECT. last 7 days cases are 670. The peak was 750 in July.

Spreadsheet updated

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q

Charts updated
AgCPA
AG
in person is down because professors had been calling it off arbitrarily. Note in the notice this will require permission and they will be checking with students to see what they would like to do. That won't fly well.

Hospitalizations are down despite increase which is almost entirely students who have little to no risk of a bad case of covid based on cdc statistics for those under age 24.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

Nice try though.

I said nothing about what the email said about what profs could or could not do with their classes, as that was not relevant to my point about students increasingly switching from ftf to online THEMSELVES.

Nice try though.

Glad the high case rate still isn't translating into hospitalizations.
First, the provosts tone was not "worried."

Second, she was not admonishing students or their behavior, she was putting profs on notice.

Third, you made a claim that "students see what's happening...." As an academic, you should not have to be reminded that correlation =/= causation.

Last, as noted, many of the students I have interacted with are choosing online for several reasons, none of which relate to a rise in CV-19. Most note:

- I can take my lunch at work and then go right back to my job so I get more hours.

- I have an online followed by and in-person. I don't have a convenient online location other than the house and the transition time to get to in-person isn't reasonable, therefore I choose to do that one online as well.

- I overslept

-Etc., etc.

Not a single, admittedly anecdotal, comment about fear of COVID transmission.
Nosmo
AG
lockett93 said:

K2T2 said:

Spreadsheet updated

Charts updated

https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/additionaldata/

If you are interested in the back data, there's a spreadsheet "COVID-19 Hospitalizations by TSA" on the page of the attached link, which shows the historical counts for the regions. Not thrilled with region data, but it's better than nothing.

I do a similar spreadsheet but use yours to catch-up.

Really appreciate your dedication and helping us out.

PS: I was depressed when our company switched from Lotus123 to Microsoft.
isitjustme
AG
FlyRod said:

Not disagreeing with either of you above. I do wonder what students were actually told about what classes would look like, given multiple admin sources insisting that the demand for ftf was overwhelming. Also curious in light of the fact that enrollment went UP during the summer when everything was online.

I think a lot of that ftf demand was coming from parents who pay, students working their way through, and anyone borrowing a lot of money to attend or pay for their kid. Why pay that much or go into that much debt for an online degree? University education is supposed to have a good bit of interaction. Students who don't pay or borrow themselves probably don't get that connection and are likely quite comfortable thinking they will learn just as much online.

Quote:

I do think its smart TAMU hasn't done what other univs have done and started telling students to go home. I hope that continues.

This is very true, and I hope we don't cave.
lockett93
AG
Nosmo said:

If you are interested in the back data, there's a spreadsheet "COVID-19 Hospitalizations by TSA" on the page of the attached link, which shows the historical counts for the regions. Not thrilled with region data, but it's better than nothing.

I don't see Covid patients in the spreadsheet... Just total beds and available beds

Nevermind... Found it...
Nosmo
AG
Nm
K2T2
lockett93 said:

K2T2 said:

Spreadsheet updated

Charts updated

CORRECT, somehow, a portion of my spreadsheet was computing an inclusive 6 days, not 7, up until very early July. I'm not sure how that happened, I was seeing that statistic through slightly rose-colored glasses.
AggieBaseball06
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/2020/09/08/texas-am-identifies-another-covid-19-cluster-among-students/

Squadron 17 got hit by Covid apparently.
dubi
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/09/08/texas-am-identifies-another-covid-19-cluster-among-students/

Squadron 17 got hit by Covid apparently

My vote is get it and be done.
MiMi
S
CSHS has its first confirmed student case. Not too bad after 3 weeks of school.

Quote:

Dear CSHS Parents, Guardians, Faculty and Staff,

In keeping with College Station ISD's practices to respond to COVID-19, we are notifying all student families that a student at CSHS was test-confirmed to have COVID-19.
This person was last present at CSHS on Friday, September 4. Due to privacy requirements, we will not be releasing the name of the individual or details that may identify him or her. All areas of the campus that were heavily used by this individual are sanitized each evening using hospital grade disinfectant.

Along with the local health department, CSISD investigated the case and has directly contacted any individuals determined to have been in close contact with the infected individual at school. All students and staff who came into close contact were directly notified, and those who were in close contact will not be allowed to return to work/school until the end of the 14-day quarantine period from the date of last exposure.

While we do not have reason to believe that those who were not in close contact with the infected individual have reason to be concerned, we ask that you, as always, watch for symptoms of COVID-19.

Screening includes consideration about whether an individual has recently begun experiencing any of the following in a way that is not normal for them.
  • Feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 F
  • Loss of taste or smell
  • Cough
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Shortness of breath
  • Fatigue
  • Headache
  • Chills
  • Sore throat
  • Congestion or runny nose
  • Shaking or exaggerated shivering
  • Significant muscle pain or ache
  • Diarrhea
  • Nausea or vomiting

If you or any member of the CSHS community does begin experiencing any of these symptoms in a way that is not normal for them, we encourage you to contact your physician and your school nurse. We encourage anyone in the CSHS community who is lab-confirmed to have COVID-19 to please notify our school by contacting the campus at 979-694-5800.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to us at 979-694-5800 or visit our website at www.csisd.org.

Sincerely,

Tiffany Parkerson
CSHS Principal
scd88
AG
Wasn't there a party near Luther that the cops busted recently? 200 or so underage kids? Possibly related?

Maybe not...I've been watching NCIS reruns and am ready to track cell phones and solve homicides...lol.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Wasn't there a party near Luther that the cops busted recently? 200 or so underage kids? Possibly related?
Wish I knew more. My CSHS student does not know anyone who was directly contacted and quarantined, so it is not anyone in her social network.
trouble
AG
I think it was on the state streets
scd88
AG
Ah. Got it. Thanks.
lost my dog
MiMi said:

Quote:

Wish I knew more. My CSHS student does not know anyone who was directly contacted and quarantined, so it is not anyone in her social network.
Is this what y'all are talking about?

http://www.thebatt.com/news/two-a-m-students-arrested-at-200-person-house-party/article_0de4422a-ef34-11ea-99d4-132d3de397b2.html

Probably not in the CSHS social orbit...
scd88
AG
That's probably it.

Not CSHS related; my train of thought was was off. Sorry, folks. Now, back to those actual numbers....
First Page Last Page
Page 85 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.