B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,096,173 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So far, so good. Despite the actual numbers going up, the following is true:

The testing numbers are ridiculously high (1800 plus EACH of the last 2 days. That qualifies as "**** ton."

With less than 70 new cases per day off of that, the positivity rate is sub-4%. Again, that is stupid low.

Hospital capacity had not been affected.

It is clear where the numbers are coming from re: age group.

Summary - keep pushing boundaries and quarantine kids and the people they've been in contact with. I feel like this is going down the right path IF ONE DOES NOT LOOK AT THE NEW CASE NUMBERS IN A VACUUM.
AgCPA
AG
Best case scenario, number of infections rises while hospitalizations fall. when infections start falling we win.. herd immunity.
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 50 new cases, 1,105 tests, 0 deaths

1 hospital discharge; 7 Brazos county patients hospitalized

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/8.29.20.pdf
Kbeauty63
AG
And some yo-yo on KBTX's FB post is screaming 'shut everything down'
MBAR
AG
https://www.tamu.edu/coronavirus/dashboard/

Back over 100. 120 actually.
scd88
AG
MiMi said:

Today's numbers: 50 new cases, 1,105 tests, 0 deaths

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/8.29.20.pdf

4.5% positivity rate. Good number. Actually, a great number. Hospital capacity information is also very good so far.
lockett93
AG
Spreadsheet updated

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q

Charts not updated yet
Expert Analysis
AG
The numbers in the chart you are referencing are almost useless. Not much value in them given the lack of information surrounding how they are actually collected and the self reported nature of them.
Expert Analysis
AG
Positivity rate is somewhat useless. When you conduct thousands of random tests like A&M did recently the positive rate is going to be much lower than when only sick and contact traced people are being tested like pretty much most other times. The positive rate would be useful if testing was conducted in a systematic fashion, but it is not.

The decreasing hospital rates is the biggest thing. As anticipated the number of cases has gone up with the students returning but the hospitalizations have not. Would be wonderful If that trend holds true and the local schools don't see any break outs in the next couple weeks.
Cartographer
Our local media need to do a deep dive with local providers and the health dept to assess the care options for positive cases.

As we know recovery rates are much better than previously forecast.

In my uneducated opinion, the community would benefit from answers to some flavor of the following questions:

Are there treatment protocols available for the various stages of the virus?

Have these resulted in better outcomes for patients?

Can you give the public assurances that 7 months into this that the medical community is prepared to handle this virus?

My aim in these questions is for them to say something to the effect of: yes instead of sending everyone home and waiting we have therapeutics, if hospitalized we have seen positive outcomes from other treatments.

Obviously they are invested in not having this discussion but, I think it would be best for the community and go a long way to normalizing the virus into another thing that is treatable just like the flu, measles, and other deadly viral infections without cures.
dubi
AG
Quote:

My aim in these questions is for them to say something to the effect of: yes instead of sending everyone home and waiting we have therapeutics, if hospitalized we have seen positive outcomes from other treatments.

"Sending everyone home"? Admission is based on needing oxygen and supportive care.

Do you think they should admit them ALL? Because they feel like they have a cold? What is your criteria for a hospital admit?
Cartographer
I have no dog in that hunt and obviously didn't articulate my thoughts correctly.

The first half of that statement referred to outpatient treatment. The early treatments for positive cases without breathing issues was "go home and call us if it gets worse". I would like to know if they have a treatment plan now instead of that.

The second half meaning, if you go to the hospital, we have interventions thaT have success rates that lead to people going home and not onto a vent.

These are things yet to be articulated to the public at large but the numbers coming from hospitals indicate this is what's happening.

Sometimes I think I've said more than I have in these sentences.

Admission of these things can start to normalize how the public views the virus.
dubi
AG
Start reading the medical journals. There is a lot of information available to you publicly. Treatments have radically changed since March.

Brazos Health Dept is a joke and we need better. And now that they are adding in the A&M data randomly it seems we have taken another 2 steps backwards.
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 40 new cases, 0 tests, 0 deaths

0 hospital discharge; 8 Brazos county patients hospitalized

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/8.30.20.pdf
FlyRod
The BCHD tweet today said "no further demographics will be released." Does that mean no more age, gender etc data? Or no NEW demographics in addition to these?
jeffk
AG

I took it to mean they were only providing limited info on those "probable" cases they were reporting, but it's unclear.
trouble
AG
That's on the "probable" cases only.
b0ridi
White text on light green background?
Expert Analysis
AG
Surprised nobody pointed out that the county noted That 95% 38 of 40 for today's cases were the 18-24 age group.

Does anyone know when the random A&M testing is/was supposed to end? I am sure they have added to the numbers over the past week. I know one person who was tested and got her negative result back already.

I Guess I missed where the state was not reporting Positive antigen tests. Positives should be pretty certain, the negatives are what are questionable with the antigen tests. I could see how there could be issues with the number of positive vs tests conducted, but the percent positive number is a somewhat useless value anyway.
lockett93
AG
Spreadsheet updated

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q

Charts not updated yet

Actually one less case today than last Sunday
scd88
AG
Will the county numbers drop as students get tested on campus now?
trouble
AG
No, they will be reported. The only on campus results that aren't included in the numbers are self-reported positives.
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 16 new confirmed cases (and 18 new probable cases), 346 tests, 0 deaths

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/8.31.20.pdf
lockett93
AG
Spreadsheet updated

Charts updated

Monday cases 22 less than last Monday
trouble
AG
Total of recovered: 4141

7 Brazos Co patients, 24 regional

Brazos Co hospitals

Total Bed Occupancy: 69%

Total ICU Bed Occupancy: 51%

Regional

Total Staffed Hospital Beds - 449
Available Hospital Beds - 134
Available ICU Beds - 6
Available Ventilators - 58
scd88
AG
trouble said:

No, they will be reported. The only on campus results that aren't included in the numbers are self-reported positives.

Okay thanks. We must gotten a weekend dip.
BQ_90
AG
[We have made it clear that we will not tolerate name calling or disrespectful posts on this board and that if we had to edit a post that a ban would accompany it. -Staff]
BQ_90
AG
Time for govt to quit punishing businesses, the two weeks are up the curve is flat, open everything back up
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: 53 new confirmed cases (7 new probable cases), 741 tests, 0 deaths

1 hospital discharge; 9 Brazos county patients hospitalized

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/9.1.20.pdf
Bunk Moreland
53 additional cases
total cases now 4772
% of confirmed cases age 18-24: 77%
9 current hospitalizations
1 discharged

occupancy all completely fine.
lockett93
AG
Spreadsheet updated

Charts updated

[We have cleaned up the derail of this thread and any complaints about local media and the coverage of this issue need to be made on another thread. We will allow discussion relevant to the numbers but we are not going to let it get derailed into other discussions. Any questions about moderation will be removed in order to prevent that type of derailment. -Staff]
isitjustme
AG
Since I posted on last Wednesday, active cases have increased by about 50% and now stand at 566, or 0.24% of Brazos County population. I couldn't bring myself to post the daily climb (the daily decrease was much more fun), so I'll do this about once per week.

Not a hard calculation, though - number of active cases/233,100 x 100. Then add a % to the end
FlyRod
100 new cases reported today. Two deaths (woman in 50s, man in 90s).
H2SAag
AG
95% of new cases from 18-24 yr old range
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
scd88
AG
FlyRod said:

100 new cases reported today. Two deaths (woman in 50s, man in 90s).

We have weekend dips; and then we have early week spikes.
First Page Last Page
Page 81 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.