B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,095,922 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think we'll see the "student spike" for another 10 days or so and then see the numbers drop. If A&M can weather this push without freaking out, they will be in good shape.
lockett93
AG
Spreadsheet updated

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q

Full disclosure I massaged the percentages to make more sense. They don't give enough granularity on the percentages and don't even give a number for the 90's category. I think it's obvious the 90+ should be around 30 people and the "remaining" percentage would have dropped it to 27 so I gave a little more there and took away from some other categories. Minor 1-2 person change in an age group. That will even itself out over time.

Without massaging a little the number jumped from 30 to 36 to 21 back to 30.
cavscout96
AG
77% of today's new cases 15-30 age group. 29/43 in 77840
isitjustme
AG
cavscout96 said:

Students started getting back about 2 weeks ago. So for cases that have been reported over the last 9 days, or starting 8/17, the 15-30 y.o. age group has accounted for 154 of the 248 newly reported cases, or 62.1%. Zip codes 77840/5 have accounted for 162 of those new cases, or 65.3%.

We all knew this was coming. There's no reason to think that the harsh covid complications % for this age group won't remain low, so hospital facilities shouldn't be overwhelmed. This should just be part of the continued march back towards normalcy.
Bunk Moreland
honestly if we had 250 cases a day locally in a week or 2 but 75% or higher were aged 5-29 then it's all good.
cavscout96
AG
agrab86 said:

cavscout96 said:

Students started getting back about 2 weeks ago. So for cases that have been reported over the last 9 days, or starting 8/17, the 15-30 y.o. age group has accounted for 154 of the 248 newly reported cases, or 62.1%. Zip codes 77840/5 have accounted for 162 of those new cases, or 65.3%.

We all knew this was coming. There's no reason to think that the harsh covid complications % for this age group won't remain low, so hospital facilities shouldn't be overwhelmed. This should just be part of the continued march back towards normalcy.
preach
cavscout96
AG
yep
ToxicAG
Texas A&M COVID dashboard has been updated.

https://www.tamu.edu/coronavirus/dashboard/

KidDoc
AG
ToxicAG said:

Nice to see they are not going to report active cases- just total.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Belton Ag
AG
KidDoc said:

ToxicAG said:

Yeah that first graph is pretty misleading. It says daily new cases, but looks to be total cases added onto daily.
ToxicAG
KidDoc said:

ToxicAG said:

Not surprised. Irregardless, those are some pretty big numbers that do not appear in the county reports (at last not yet).
ToxicAG
Belton Ag said:

KidDoc said:

ToxicAG said:

Yeah that first graph is pretty misleading. It says daily new cases, but looks to be total cases added onto daily.
I don't think so, since the numbers go down between Aug 14-15 and the faculty positives are only on one day. These are new daily totals.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
nm
scd88
AG
The only ones that would appear in the county numbers are the ones from students who test in town, right? Like at Brazos Valley Urgent Care, for example.
MiMi
S
Quote:

I don't think so, since the numbers go down between Aug 14-15 and the faculty positives are only on one day. These are new daily totals.
Agreed. Also, these are only self-reported positives. I'm wondering how many are not reporting their positive test to TAMU?

However, we need to not focus solely on the number of positive test results - hospitalization rate can tell us much more.
cavscout96
AG
also,

does thins include Galveston, technically part of "main campus?"
ToxicAG
cavscout96 said:

also,

From the email from the Provost, this is just the main A&M campus.
cavscout96
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

Agreed. Also, these are only self-reported positives. I'm wondering how many are not reporting their positive test to TAMU?

However, we need to not focus solely on the number of positive test results - hospitalization rate can tell us much more.
do this not include the random testing as well?
cavscout96
AG
ToxicAG said:

cavscout96 said:

also,

Galveston IS "main campus."

however, I went back and re-read the website and it does state: "The COVID-19 cases and testing reported on the Bryan-College Station campus..."
ToxicAG
cavscout96 said:

MiMi said:

Quote:

do this not include the random testing as well?
Good question and don't know. Random testing I believe started on Friday, so there may have been enough time to get the tests turned around. These numbers are in inline with other universities including University of Alabama which had over 500 positive tests last week.
histag10
AG
cavscout96 said:

ToxicAG said:

cavscout96 said:

also,

however, I went back and re-read the website and it does state: "The COVID-19 cases and testing reported on the Bryan-College Station campus..."

Main campus also includes the law school (all part 02 of the system)
ToxicAG
cavscout96 said:

ToxicAG said:

cavscout96 said:

also,

I figured that A&M would go out of their way to make sure that some cases came from other locations just to make the numbers look better.
Belton Ag
AG
So if that's the case, then Brazos County's numbers are pretty much bunk and can't be looked at. There's really no point in updating it then since it doesn't include A&M's numbers (or maybe it includes some, or is updated sporadically).
ToxicAG
Belton Ag said:

So if that's the case, then Brazos County's numbers are pretty much bunk and can't be looked at. There's really no point in updating it then since it doesn't include A&M's numbers (or maybe it includes some, or is updated sporadically).
That would be a good question for our local media to ask, oh wait...
FlyRod
I think Belton Ag clarified it, but just days ago I was led to believe BCHD was including TAMU numbers.

What a data mess.

Edit: now hearing TAMU numbers "might" be included starting tomorrow. ARGHHHHH
aggielawyer00
AG
So there will be a huge jump in numbers, with no clarification as what comes from TAMU. Which will lead to panic and fear...

...all according to plan?
FlyRod
I'm going for grotesque incompetence underway here, vs conspiracy!
Rapier108

[WE HAVE MADE IT CLEAR THAT WE WILL NOT TOLERATE NAME CALLING ON THIS FORUM AND IT DOES NOT MATTER IF IT IS DIRECTED AT ONE PERSON OR A GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT A POSTER DOES NOT AGREE WITH. Any post that has to be edited for being disrespectful will get a three day minimum-Staff]
SpringAg92
Just heard on the national news about the outbreak on campus - Over 400 cases
FlyRod
I am hearing 358 of these cases in last two weeks. Not an outbreak I suppose...which to me connotes the beginning of a pandemic (so we're already in it).

But an added thought: we just took in a bunch of Galveston evacuees and the island had a pretty high rate IIRC. Do we know if these cases will be counted with the total? Maybe not since they don't live here?
MBAR
AG
You guys can say what you want, but I am 99% sure that if the cases stay above 100 per day we're going to go online only.

I am a bit taken aback by how quickly we got to that point and by a positive rate of 17% last week. That's really bad. It shows uncontrolled growth within the student population and that's just going to get worse as the weeks go by. Very unlikely this is where it peaks.

On a related note, I taught my first in person lab of the semester today. Campus seemed very empty - more like the summer rather than early fall semester - and I only had 3 people show up in person. The others were on Zoom.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

I'm going for grotesque incompetence underway here, vs conspiracy!

CONCUR!
Cartographer
I tend to agree but I remain hopeful that hospital capacity stays down and they learn to distance.
trouble
AG
Yeah, they didn't get tamu numbers until today.

No idea how they'll decide to include them. It would be nice if they keep them separate but we'll see.
saltsman
Belton Ag said:

KidDoc said:

ToxicAG said:

I pretty sure these are not total cases added onto each other daily.

If you look at faculty/staff, for example, you can see that it is not cumulative. Some days report new F/S cases (Aug 12, 17, 21), where as the other days do not.

Also, if you look at the table of number of cumulative positive cases for the week of Aug 16 it shows 358. If you add up the numbers shown for each of the days in that week from the graph, it works out.

I believe this graph is what is says it is... Daily new cases.

Does anyone know what organization is performing the TAMU tests. Perhaps the lab is not sending the data to the county health district? Or perhaps the lab is reporting the students permeant address rather than their school address...
First Page Last Page
Page 78 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.