B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,096,121 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bunk Moreland said:

Can we go outside and play yet?
Just wait "Two More Weeks"
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Ratsa
Does anyone have any insight into why the number of active cases dropped so dramatically today? If you look at the number of new cases for the last week, you get exactly 242, which matches the number of active cases reported today. Not sure if that is a coincidence, or if they have changed how they are determining active cases.
Tailgate88
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Can we go outside and play yet?
I never stopped.
Bunk Moreland
Yeah me neither. Taking trip #3 next week.

But for all the petrified folks... Can they come out and play yet?
KidDoc
AG
Ratsa said:

Does anyone have any insight into why the number of active cases dropped so dramatically today? If you look at the number of new cases for the last week, you get exactly 242, which matches the number of active cases reported today. Not sure if that is a coincidence, or if they have changed how they are determining active cases.
I do not have insight but my best guess is contact tracing got in touch with people and proved they were recovered.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
lockett93
AG
Ratsa said:

Guessing they accidentally didn't include week 2 in the active cases math
Loaded
AG
Looks like they posted a revision to the graphic that does not include the massive decrease in active cases.

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/7.31.20_0.pdf
Rapier108
Oh shocking, they fooked up the graphics again.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Ratsa
After your comment, I looked at the number of active cases each day for the last several weeks. At least since early July, the number of active cases is just the total number of new cases for for the past 14 days. Except for July 21st, 22nd, and 23rd, it was the total number of new cases for the past 15 days. And on July 10th it was the total number of new cases for the past 13 days.

I'm starting to wonder if they're using a 10-key adding machine to create these reports? If anyone from the Health Department is reading this thread and wants an Excel or Google Sheets tutorial, I'll be happy to give you one.
trouble
AG
That makes a lot more sense
BlueMiles
AG
The "recovered" number used to be based on actual contact with patients. Now it's based on the number of calendar days since "tested positive." I don't see why it's meaningful to report.
Post removed:
by user
cavscout96
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

I saw a whole back and forth on BCHD's Bookface feed where someone asked, are you *sure* the number of cases has dropped to 242?

BCHD: Oh, yes! This is because the number of new cases are low!

Someone Else: Masks work!

BCHD: They sure do!

...this thread has been taken down obviously, and the newspaper and all major news outlets have printed retractions.

Why is it that every time I see something from them I hear circus music in my head?!?!

likely because it's a complete clown show
isitjustme
AG
nthomas99 said:

Rapier108 said:

27 New Cases
126 Reported Tests
0 New Deaths
Back to 26 in the hospital
Good drop in total and ICU occupancy rates

77801 +1
77802 +1
77803 +8
77807 +7
77808 +1
77840 +3
77845 +6

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/7.31.20.pdf

Active cases nosedived to 242.
Oops, 564 I now see, or 0.24%. Still awesome!!!
Cartographer
Very awesome!

Let's mark today as the last day of "no college students" numbers.

The streets are getting busier. Upperclassmen are moving into apartments and homes this weekend.

I hope there's a plan to contain the hotspots that are about to flare up.
FlyRod
There's a plan, according to TAMU admin: "We expect students to behave responsibly" (fill in all your fantasy scenarios about what that looks like).
Rapier108
32 New Cases
0 New Deaths
125 Reported Tests
25 in the hospital
Occupancy rates up, but unless we had an influx of out of county CV patients, then the increase is not CV related.

77801 +1
77802 +3
77803 +10
77807 +3
77808 +2
77840 +3
77845 +10

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/8.1.20.pdf
trouble
AG
4 discharges

60 recovered

25 Brazos Co patients, 68 regional

Brazos Co hospitals
Total Bed Occupancy: 65%

Total ICU Bed Occupancy: 67%

Regional
Total Staffed Hospital Beds - 573
Available Hospital Beds - 111
Available ICU Beds - 11
Available Ventilators - 46
histag10
AG
panduh bear said:

Very awesome!

Let's mark today as the last day of "no college students" numbers.

The streets are getting busier. Upperclassmen are moving into apartments and homes this weekend.

I hope there's a plan to contain the hotspots that are about to flare up.

College students wont be counted in these numbers unless Brazos county is their home of record, right?
Cartographer
I'm not sure but I think the geography of spread is more important than their home county.

It would be good to know that data as well, though, as we know lots of students travel in and out of BCS every weekend.

That said if they're here and have it they need to be counted here since they can and would transmit it here.

I think one reason we aren't counting many of the hospitalizations as local cases has to do with the fact that we're the regional hospital for all of the surrounding counties.
lockett93
AG
Spreadsheet updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q
histag10
AG
I get that we would like to know that data, but i know a few college kids that live in BCS that got it earlier this summer. They were not counted here, and were counted in their home county (where my parents live).

My understanding is that every case will be counted based on the address on their DL/county of record.
FlyRod
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/07/28/us/covid-19-colleges-universities.html

302 cases at TAMU. So someone is collecting (and getting) these data.
redd38
AG
TAMU says they report cases to Brazos County, why can't Brazos County report that number even if the cases officially get counted somewhere else?
Fitch
AG
It would make very little sense for case positives of students residing in dorms and apartments to not be counted in Brazos County. They're not tourists visiting for the weekend or the proverbial "neighbor from one county over" that doesn't have as many test sites.

There's certainly a nuance with their residency, though.
BlueMiles
AG
redd38 said:

TAMU says they report cases to Brazos County, why can't Brazos County report that number even if the cases officially get counted somewhere else?

Predicting their answer: HIPAA!
trouble
AG
Naw, they'll use FERPA
KidDoc
AG
trouble said:

Naw, they'll use FERPA
Why not both?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
trouble
AG
KidDoc said:

trouble said:

Naw, they'll use FERPA
Why not both?

A likely possiblity.

Were your ears burning? I just mentioned you at dinner.
lockett93
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/2020/08/02/young-college-station-mother-dies-of-covid-19/

Article about the female in her 30's that died earlier this week. RIP.

"It took her so rapidly. One second she was sick and thought it was a sinus infection and the next second she was in the hospital and two days later in ICU she was pronounced dead."

" They said Erika was in pretty good health, but that she had diabetes. Now, the family wants to warn others to take this virus seriously."

Belton Ag
AG
Sad.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Without going into too much detail, on the very same day my good friend in Houston lost his only child. A 34 yr old daughter he raised by himself from 2 yrs

She had diabetes from very young age. Like shortly after birth

From Dx to ventilator to TRAGIC TRAGIC loss............just a matter of days.
AG
They tested my mom there... A couple weeks ago, she had Pnuemonia from the Sahara dust
KidDoc
AG
If diabetes is poorly controlled (a1c over 9) it seems to sharply increase the death risk.
SueAggie93
AG
They tested my mom there... A couple weeks ago, she had Pnuemonia from the Sahara dust
First Page Last Page
Page 69 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.