B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,099,439 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cavscout96 said:

KidDoc said:

I agree with this. Every year young people die from flu, varicella, coxsackievirus. It is very rare but it happens.

I thought you were yanking our collective chains with this one. I had to look it up.
Hand, foot, and mouth is more boring to say.
lockett93
AG
Spreadsheet updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q

Exact opposite of yesterday, or they messed up the charts again, but today shows 33 Female and 1 Male after yesterday's 22 M and 1 F...

75AG
AG
Never mind my question above. For some reason that defies logic, HIPAA protections do in fact protect the identifiable health information for 50 post death.

However, since the name of the deceased 30 YO was not released, how could her extenuating circumstances with relation to COVID-19 (obesity, diabetes, heart condition, any other medical issue) be considered protected health information. And thus, not reportable to the public?
trouble
AG
Because it could still make her identifiable.
Rapier108
trouble said:

Because it could still make her identifiable.
Then all they need to say is the person had X number of preexisting conditions which made her more vulnerable to the virus.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
trouble
AG
They could but we know they won't
FlyRod
Maybe she didn't have any? I know it's very hard for some people to grasp that someone young and healthy can die from this, but it has happened, and tragically will again.
Rapier108
trouble said:

They could but we know they won't
Of course not.

The coronadoom narrative must continue.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Rapier108
FlyRod said:

Maybe she didn't have any? I know it's very hard for some people to grasp that someone young and healthy can die from this, but it has happened, and tragically will again.
They could come out and tell us she had none, but our local officials are useless when it comes to providing information.

It that possible she had none, yes. However, the vast majority of young, healthy people do not die from the virus. She might have been an exception to that, but almost all have had conditions (usually more than 1) which make the virus more dangerous.

As was noted in early posts today, young, healthy people die every year from the flu and multiple other viruses. It is rare, but it does happen. One day we'll probably learn that there is a genetic component to why a virus kills a healthy person, but barely bothers someone who should die within a day from it.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

why should we have to wonder? why not just tell us?

-----------------------------------------

The deceased had a severe / un-diagnosed / multiple underlying health condition(s).

OR

This was an otherwise completely healthy person who we are shocked did not recover from this illness.

-----------------------------------------

Is it really that difficult to just be transparent and up front? Seriously? Instead we get to hear "tsk, tsk..." from those who are satisfied with the mushroom treatment.
FlyRod
Why would you be shocked though? Yes it's rare for young health people to die from this. But we know they do. We don't know why, and we don't know which will be next....that's just one of the many things about this virus that really sucks.

If you're doing COVID research and these data are vital to it, then I am sympathetic to the frustration.
trouble
AG
It's something that sucks about many viruses.

The most common deaths I had with swine flu in 2009 were young, healthy males. No idea why it affected them so harshly but it did.
isitjustme
AG
FlyRod said:

Why would you be shocked though? Yes it's rare for young health people to die from this. But we know they do. We don't know why, and we don't know which will be next....that's just one of the many things about this virus that really sucks.

If you're doing COVID research and these data are vital to it, then I am sympathetic to the frustration.

Same can be said about dying in various other ways, such as cancer, automobile or bicycle wreck, flu, overdose, heart disease, diabetes, etc. While some of these may have a higher percentage of population on the whole, all of these also have a higher death rate in <40 year-olds than covid, and you don't really ever know when any of these will happen.
FlyRod
Those "other ways" aren't highly contagious and transmissible...at least not that I'm aware of.

And as with COVID, many can be mitigated by good choices.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

Those "other ways" aren't highly contagious and transmissible...at least not that I'm aware of.

Your logic is weak. Hard to mitigate auto deaths and cancer, but keep on with the coronadoom if it makes YOU feel better.
FlyRod
Quote:

Your logic is weak. Hard to mitigate auto deaths and cancer, but keep on with the coronadoom if it makes YOU feel better.

Editing out the angry bits.

And my apologies for flying off the handle; I've now lost three friends to this disease, so while I try not to personalize it, I do.
I'm fascinated by those who want to know about underlying health conditions or other personal health information about those who die from covid19. I'm one of those people that might appear middle aged and healthy to most people but I have a condition that makes me susceptible to dying from covid-19. If I die, I don't want my health information put out in a press release. I don't think that you have a right to that info. I have already written my obit and it does not include any of my personal health battles. Those are personal details. My family and friends are aware but I don't see a reason for the whole wide world to know.

Maybe the quest for the private health info makes others think "Whew, I don't have that so I don't need to worry about dying from covid19?" I happen to have a close friend who was recently hospitalized with covid19 who is otherwise in terrific health. He wanted me to know that not being able to breathe was terrifying and he now had a much better understanding of my ongoing health issues and he had no idea how I managed. Well, I do my best. Drowning slowly in your own fluids is not a great way to go.
lost my dog
cavscout96 said:

FlyRod said:

Umm, reduce auto deaths = wear your seat belt
Reduce cancer deaths = don't smoke

Both of which we as a society have moved toward
91_Aggie
AG
1.618 said:

I'm fascinated by those who want to know about underlying health conditions or other personal health information about those who die from covid19. I'm one of those people that might appear middle aged and healthy to most people but I have a condition that makes me susceptible to dying from covid-19. If I die, I don't want my health information put out in a press release. I don't think that you have a right to that info. I have already written my obit and it does not include any of my personal health battles. Those are personal details. My family and friends are aware but I don't see a reason for the whole wide world to know.

A 30 year old dying is somewhat shocking.
Knowing if they had some other health issue is useful information.

In a time of crisis, worrying that others would learn you had a health condition AFTER YOU ARE DEAD is a little bit on the mental illness side of worry.

i mean we are already learning you died of Covid... why worry about another condition being reported.
A 30 year old dying from covid is not shocking. It is bound to happen if you have enough deaths. A 20 year old will probably die. Same for a 10 year old. If enough people die here, then we are bound to have a few of those rarer events. It is just a matter of the math. Most people will be older people and then there will be a few exceptional deaths and even a few exceptional few survivals like a 90 year old who is on life support and then makes a recovery.

Do what you can to avoid catching covid19 and you won't have to be one of the ones to die from it.
Rapier108
Since I didn't see it mentioned, I wonder if the cases in the Brazos County detention center have or will be counted in the daily numbers.

They clearly didn't count the 250 cases in the Hamilton Unit (if what Rusty said a while back was accurate) and truly, prisoners should not be part of the daily total. Guards or other employees, yes, but those who are locked up are not in the community and are self contained. If they do include it in the daily numbers, they should have it as a separate line item on the zip code page.

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/07/28/brazos-county-reports-two-dozen-covid-19-cases-in-detention-center/
FlyRod
Re-raising the issue whether TAMU cases will be counted in the local total or not.
redd38
AG
FlyRod said:

Re-raising the issue whether TAMU cases will be counted in the local total or not.

They'll be reported to the Brazos County Health Department, so I don't see why not
cavscout96
AG
lost my dog said:

cavscout96 said:

FlyRod said:

Yet people still die from both and there are myriad forms of cancer that have nothing to do with smoking.
isitjustme
AG
1.618 said:

Maybe the quest for the private health info makes others think "Whew, I don't have that so I don't need to worry about dying from covid19?" I happen to have a close friend who was recently hospitalized with covid19 who is otherwise in terrific health. He wanted me to know that not being able to breathe was terrifying and he now had a much better understanding of my ongoing health issues and he had no idea how I managed. Well, I do my best. Drowning slowly in your own fluids is not a great way to go.
No offense meant here, but if you died, I doubt you would care about what us folks left on earth would know about you. Your family might, but you won't. BTW, I hope you have a long and happy life.

But now that we have, unfortunately, a critical mass of covid fatalities, I'm thinking the health dept could release statistics on the 45 deaths in general w/o mentioning age, sex, race, or any other identifiers. I.e., 12 had this comorbidity, 8 had that one and so on, and however many had none. This would treat the people in this group anonymously and let the public know what, if any, ailments combined with covid helped to cause the deaths.
lost my dog
cavscout96 said:

lost my dog said:

cavscout96 said:

FlyRod said:

Yet people still die from both and there are myriad forms of cancer that have nothing to do with smoking.
You said mitigate, not eliminate.

Seat belts are widely acknowledged to be one of the most effective safety efforts in reducing car crash related injuries and deaths. https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/seatbelts/facts.html Heck, we have an entire transportation institute here at A&M who would agree on this. https://tti.tamu.edu/researcher/safety-belt-use-at-all-time-high-in-texas/

Yes, there are myriad forms of cancer which are not smoking related. I picked out the biggest, easiest-to-deal with contributor. Would you like additional examples?

Reduce melanoma (skin cancer) = use sun screen
Reduce cervical cancer = get HPV vaccination
Reduce liver cancer = don't drink too much

As FlyRod said, good choices can prevent bad outcomes.

Do you really think our choices have no control over what happens in our lives and in our society? Nothing will eliminate all bad outcomes. Idiopathic cancers will still occur. Loose barges will still take out bridges and cars will fall off of them (to pick a famous accident where the car drivers weren't at fault.)

But why would one choose to avoid easy measures which could reduce the probability of bad outcomes?

Y'all can draw your own conclusions with respect to the topic of the thread here.
scd88
AG
So, to make this about the actual numbers....

We are seeing a downward trend. Can I say that without jinxing it? Is it a coincidence that the mask wearing was made mandatory and now we are seeing reduced numbers?

As much of an anti-masker that I am (don't shame me - I still wear them...) I can't help but think it has made a difference. What else? Shutting down Northgate?
redd38
AG
scd88 said:

We are seeing a downward trend. Can I say that without jinxing it? Is it a coincidence that the mask wearing was made mandatory and now we are seeing reduced numbers?

As much of an anti-masker that I am (don't shame me - I still wear them...) I can't help but think it has made a difference. What else? Shutting down Northgate?

Northgate is not shut down. The patrons just have to squeeze into fewer bars right now.
Fitch
AG
scd88
AG
redd38 said:

scd88 said:

Northgate is not shut down. The patrons just have to squeeze into fewer bars right now.

Fair enough. What's open?
AggieBaseball06
AG
scd88 said:

redd38 said:

scd88 said:

Fair enough. What's open?

The Chicken, The Spot, and maybe Chimys?
FlyRod
Some "bars" indeed are open at Northgate, but as noted only a few.

Can't helping thinking one of the biggest reasons our local hospitalization/fatality rate remains low is that GoCo remains closed...given the evidence of obesity's impact on COVID morbidity.
Rapier108
32 New Cases
0 New Deaths
98 Reported Tests
Looks like 26 in the hospital (+3 -1 if I read it right)
Slight drop in both total beds and ICU beds occupancy

77801 + 2
77802 + 1
77803 + 12
77807 + 1
77808 + 1
77840 + 4
77845 + 11

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/7.29.20.pdf
trouble
AG
1 discharge

80 recovered

26 Brazos Co patients, 62 regional

Brazos Co hospitals
Total Bed Occupancy: 58%

Total ICU Bed Occupancy: 73%

Regional
Total Staffed Hospital Beds - 536
Available Hospital Beds - 129
Available ICU Beds - 6
Available Ventilators - 47
isitjustme
AG
613 active cases in Brazos County, or 0.26% of the population. The current trend continues. One of the lower active case percentages in the KBTX viewing area.
First Page Last Page
Page 67 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.