B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,095,953 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
trouble said:

No, both are getting their info from the hospitals directly. I just have no idea how the health department is calculating their percentage.
The health department may have no idea how they are calculating their percentage.
FlyRod
Sadly a fatality is about to be added, and I knew this person. And it was very fast moving.

I have no idea what the lag time is in reporting these things.
trouble
AG
I'm sorry for your loss.

According to the health department, it should be added tomorrow.
Post removed:
by user
Ratsa
From what I can tell, the percentages that the health department is reporting is only for Brazos County hospitals, while the number of beds available from Texas HHS includes all hospitals in the 7 or 8 counties in the Brazos Valley.
Rapier108
Looks like A&M is going to start testing employees soon so it would not be a surprise if we see more cases as a result.

The only question is whether or not the BCHD will include those tests as part of the total, or just the results. If they do the latter, then it will skew the positive rate tremendously.

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/07/14/texas-am-university-system-secures-free-covid-19-testing-for-all-students-staff-and-faculty/
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
scd88
AG
Rapier108 said:

Looks like A&M is going to start testing employees soon so it would not be a surprise if we see more cases as a result.

The only question is whether or not the BCHD will include those tests as part of the total, or just the results. If they do the latter, then it will skew the positive rate tremendously.

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/07/14/texas-am-university-system-secures-free-covid-19-testing-for-all-students-staff-and-faculty/

Good move to get it all out there so we can get kids back to campus full time this spring.
FlyRod
Well it looks like they are offering it rather then requiring it.

Any sense of how many will get tested (I have no idea).

Ok just read the part about "painless mouth swab" which should help!
cavscout96
AG
Purely my gut feeling, but I feel like a fair amount of faculty and staff will avail themselves if they exhibit any signs, and even if they don't in some cases.

I listened to a very brief portion of the Provost discussion with faculty last night. The tone and tenor was if a group seems pretty concerned. I wanted to say irrationally scared, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I can listen to more of the discussion.
BCSWguru
Quote:

Ok just read the part about "painless mouth swab" which should help!

I was out on the brain swab forever. Will consider a mouth test.
gb2074
AG
My brother in law tested positive around 10 days ago. He's only 30 and feels fine. He has to test negative twice before he can go back to work. He was tested again this morning and he was still positive. Will that count as another positive test when the county releases these numbers tomorrow?
trouble
AG
No, that's one of the few things Sullivan has answered for us. Retests are not counted.
theNetSmith
AG
they're slow today..
theNetSmith
AG
theNetSmith said:

they're slow today..
guess they were waiting for me to get upset..

54 new cases today

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/7.14.20.pdf
theNetSmith
AG
FlyRod said:

Sadly a fatality is about to be added, and I knew this person. And it was very fast moving.

I have no idea what the lag time is in reporting these things.
Deaths +1 today. Sorry for your loss.
cavscout96
AG
i haven;t even bothered to look at the charts from BCHD in a while....

HOLY !@#$ i could give a 10 year old a box of jumbo crayons and end up with a more useful graphic.

-------------------

new cases on the slide and active cases also trending down. good news.
Rapier108
54 New Cases
1 New Death (Male in his 50s)
705 New Tests
30 in the hospital (+7 -0)

77801 +4
77802 +4
77803 +15
77807 +4
77808 +2
77840 +7
77845 +17
77868 +1

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/7.14.20.pdf
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
trouble
AG
1 death, male in his 50s

60 recovered

no discharges from Brazos county hospitals

30 Brazos county patients, 54 total in region

Total Bed Occupancy: 67%
Total ICU Bed Occupancy: 82%

Total Staffed Hospital Beds - 512
Available Hospital Beds - 192
Available ICU Beds - 13
Available Ventilators - 38
lockett93
AG
Spreadsheet updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q
theNetSmith
AG
trouble said:

yesterday -> today

0 deaths -> 1 death, male in his 50s

3 discharged -> no discharges from Brazos county hospitals

121 recovered -> 60 recovered

23 Brazos County patients of 58 total -> 30 of 54

Total Bed Occupancy: 64% -> 67%

Total ICU Bed Occupancy: 73% -> 82%

Total Staffed Hospital Beds - 509 -> 512
Available Hospital Beds - 172 -> 192
Available ICU Beds - 11 -> 13
Available Ventilators - 40 -> 38
just putting yesterday's numbers alongside today's for perspective.. thx again, Rapier and trouble, for posting the numbers..

again, the ICU bed numbers / occupancy confuse me.. as someone else pointed out yesterday
cavscout96
AG
theNetSmith said:

trouble said:

yesterday -> today

just putting yesterday's numbers alongside today's for perspective.. thx again, Rapier and trouble, for posting the numbers..

again, the ICU bed numbers / occupancy confuse me.. as someone else pointed out yesterday
exactly...how do you have 2 more beds avail, but a higher occupancy rate.....? I feel like I'm dealing with Abbott and Costello:

Math

trouble
AG
It's a combination of staffing and who is counting which hospitals.

Brazos county is giving us only the hospitals in the county. The trauma region is all the hospitals in the region which also includes brenham and navasota. I'm not sure how many other hospitals are admitting Covid patients given we know other patients have been admitted here.
theNetSmith
AG
thanks for giving that some color
Post removed:
by user
cavscout96
AG
Figured it was something like that, but it is another example of poor communication from BCHD.

Click the link. It's funny and we all could use a laugh.
91_Aggie
AG
cavscout96 said:

theNetSmith said:

trouble said:

yesterday -> today

exactly...how do you have 2 more beds avail, but a higher occupancy rate.....? I feel like I'm dealing with Abbott and Costello:

Math

I think these county govt employees are having to actually do real work for the first time in forever and are not used to people actually checking their work.
Cartographer

Sorry on mobile. This is a great tidbit. Relevant to the thread.
theNetSmith
AG
Anybody else own some Moderna stock? Wishing I had bought more...
cavscout96
AG
panduh bear said:

Sorry on mobile. This is a great tidbit. Relevant to the thread.
Rapier108
80 New Cases
0 New Deaths
251 New Tests
31 in the hospital

77801 +7
77802 +5
77803 +28
77807 +4
77808 +3
77840 +14
77843 +2
77845 +17

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/7.15.20.pdf

I'm starting to wonder if we're seeing the same thing in Brazos County that has been occurring in Florida and parts of Texas where only positive tests are being reported to the state by certain facilities so it is skewing the numbers.

We'll probably see a lot more out of county patients in the hospitals soon due to another nursing home in Brenham getting hit.
FlyRod
Why do you think the numbers are skewed? Just curious.
KidDoc
AG
Rapier108 said:

80 New Cases
0 New Deaths
251 New Tests
31 in the hospital

77801 +7
77802 +5
77803 +28
77807 +4
77808 +3
77840 +14
77843 +2
77845 +17

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/7.15.20.pdf

I'm starting to wonder if we're seeing the same thing in Brazos County that has been occurring in Florida and parts of Texas where only positive tests are being reported to the state by certain facilities so it is skewing the numbers.

We'll probably see a lot more out of county patients in the hospitals soon due to another nursing home in Brenham getting hit.
Very nice trend going with active cases!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rapier108
FlyRod said:

Why do you think the numbers are skewed? Just curious.
When almost 40 labs in Florida reported 100% positive test results, something is amiss.

Some labs in Texas have been doing the same.

It's one thing if they only tested 10 or 20 people, all of whom were clearly sick with the virus. Getting at or near 100% positive results would not be a surprise.

But some labs have been reporting 300, 400, 500+ results a day, all at or very close to 100%. Statistically that is simply not possible. Even at the height in NYC, there positive rate on tests was no where near 100%.

The extreme fluctuations in "new tests" that we've been seeing for months here in Brazos County says something is amiss. Most likely it is nothing nefarious and just crappy reporting by the labs/hospitals/clinics, crappy reporting by the BCHD, or both.
trouble
AG
3 discharges

125 recovered (we're now at almost twice as many recovered as active cases)

31 Brazos county patients, 62 regional

Brazos county hospitals
Total Bed Occupancy: 76%

Total ICU Bed Occupancy: 86% (I'd like to see this drop some. I'd also like to know how many of those are Covid but....)

Regional Stats
Total Staffed Hospital Beds - 490
Available Hospital Beds - 160
Available ICU Beds - 3
Available Ventilators - 38

Only 3 ICU beds is concerning but not sky is falling levels. I don't know how much of that is lack of staff today since our staffed beds is below 500 today.

trouble
AG
Did anyone else see Rusty's facebook post about the number of cases at the Hamilton Unit?

Are those included in our numbers and was it designated as a cluster in the charts? Because 250 cases is hugely significant and would definitely skew what the rest of the county looks like. I'll grab a link to his facebook in just a minute.

https://www.facebook.com/1907704179509819/posts/2711330249147204/
First Page Last Page
Page 58 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.