B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,096,125 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
tb9665
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting graphs.
Gap
AG
Texas 7 day rolling average of deaths is around 30 per day? New York had a rolling average of right at 1,000 deaths per day back in April. That is a factor of 30X difference and doesn't even account for Texas having about 50% more people than New York. We have 29 million people to their 19 million.
Rapier108
70 New Cases
2 New Deaths
1199 New Tests
Big drop in hospital cases, but I'm not even going to guess the number from the ugly graphic.

77801 +5
77802 +5
77803 +17
77807 +2
77808 +5
77840 +22
77845 +13
77866 +1 (First in this zip code)

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/7.4.20.pdf
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
trouble
AG
Both deaths were females, 60s & 70s.

12 discharges.

60 more recovered. We now have more recovered than active cases.

Total Bed Occupancy: 75%

Total ICU Bed Occupancy: 69%

Total Covid patients in local hospitals: 67.
lockett93
AG
Spreadsheet updated.

Some rounding issues where the percentages given are not finite enough to get exactly the same numbers...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q

34 current hospitalization that are Brazos County residents.

Learned from above poster that each ICU patient is about 2% of capacity.
scd88
AG
Rapier, trouble, and lockett - thank you.
MiMi
S
30 tests, 83 new cases, 1 death

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/7.5.20.pdf
Rapier108
83 New Cases
30 New Tests
1 New Death (Man in his 80s who was hospitalized)
Around 25 in the Hospital (~11 Discharged)

77801 +13
77802 +6
77803 +22
77807 +2
77808 +6
77840 +20
77845 +14

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/7.5.20.pdf
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
jeffk
AG
It will be interesting to see what things look like in two weeks. Tons of big get-togethers all around us (77803) this weekend.
Gap
AG
jeffk said:

It will be interesting to see what things look like in two weeks. Tons of big get-togethers all around us (77803) this weekend.
If it isn't "interesting" in two weeks, do we get to stop panicking about it and go about our lives with people taking precautions only as they see fit?
Rapier108
jeffk said:

If there is another jump, our local and state leaders will respond in the dumbest way possible.
jeffk
AG
You're grown; do whatever you want. Everyone else already is.
AggieYankee1
Rapier108 said:

jeffk said:

If there is another jump, our local and state leaders will respond in the dumbest way possible.

What way would you response if local hospital leaders said

Listen - this city is your responsibility and there are a large number of people with comorbids and a large retirement demo in this area. We can not care for everyone and our nurse staff is exhausted.

Do you really feel the best idea is 'let it ripe' or warn everyone - recommend strongly they wear a mask and to keep your distance.

Pretend you are mayor 'Rapier' And the people were looking to you - what would you do, differently than the dumb leadership around here.

And please keep it as real as possible
Gap
AG
jeffk said:

You're grown; do whatever you want. Everyone else already is.

Do you like going to an Aggie baseball game, an Astros game, an Aggie football game?

How about a movie?

Do you usually watch fireworks from inside your car?

Do you have kids anywhere under college age? Any certainty about how school will look this Fall?

Do you normally vacation in the Summer? From the looks of things hotels and airlines are empty.

How does your friend's restaurant business look? Is he worried about closing up?

Quick conclusion: everyone isn't doing whatever they want.
jeffk
AG
Apologies for the hyperbole.

To the best of my ability, I'm doing what I can to make sure my family and all those we interact with have an improved chance of staying uninfected. There's quite a few people I observe here in BCS who aren't making the same decision.
trouble
AG
48 additional recovered.

11 discharged. 26 Brazos county residents hospitalized.

Total bed occupancy: 65%

Total ICU occupancy: 67%

I'll get total Covid hospitalized in a bit. It doesn't play well with my phone.

Those hospital numbers are LOW for a holiday weekend, y'all.
jeffk
jeffk
AG
So we want to see hospitalization and death rates stay low (like they currently are) but rates of infection level off/decrease, right?
MiMi
S
Quote:

Those hospital numbers are LOW for a holiday weekend, y'all.
The BCHD Facebook post from earlier today states that the Total Brazos County Hospital Occupancy percentage is 'as of 7.2.20.' It may be a couple of days before we know the % from this weekend. I'm not really sure, because every daily update post since 7/2 says this and the %'s differ each day.
trouble
AG
I think they just haven't changed the date. The percentages have changed every day.
MiMi
S
Thanks. I had just noticed that and edited my post.
trouble
AG
jeffk said:

So we want to see hospitalization and death rates stay low (like they currently are) but rates of infection level off/decrease, right?

Yes. It's even okay if active cases continues to rise as long as hospitalizations remain manageable.

I don't think we'll see a large spike in deaths unless it runs through another senior care center.
trouble
AG
Proofreading is apparently not a thing at the health department which is part of why I'm so annoyed with them.
Rapier108
Whoever does these daily PDFs should be demoted to cleaning the floors.

There are always errors, stuff not updated, and there was one day recently were an entire page was missing.
lockett93
AG
Spreadsheet updated.

Some rounding issues where the percentages given are finite enough to get exactly the same numbers...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q
MiMi
S
Looking at the numbers on the spreadsheet (thanks lockett), the number of new cases has doubled in the past 2 weeks. If my math is correct, the positivity rate over the last 2 weeks is 13.7% (with 9 deaths).

6/21 - 7/5:
Total number of tests - 9,061
Total new cases - 1240
lockett93
AG
I liked this analysis and write-up, as it tends to draw the same conclusions and opinions that I support.

https://outkick.com/coronavirus-daily-deaths-down-92-4-from-peak-have-declined-ten-straight-weeks/
Jinx
lockett93 said:

I liked this analysis and write-up, as it tends to draw the same conclusions and opinions that I support.

https://outkick.com/coronavirus-daily-deaths-down-92-4-from-peak-have-declined-ten-straight-weeks/

Is that essentially the definition of confirmation bias?
lockett93
AG
Jinx said:

Is that essentially the definition of confirmation bias?

confirmation bias
noun
the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

I don't think I did any "interpretations". But I'm glad I found an article that aligns well with my opinions on the subject matter. An article that is well written and backed up by fancy charts and graphs and facts that support the similar opinion.

toolshed
AG
The point of the article, I saw it earlier today, is that the health care system is much improved at treating this, and the mortality rate is way down from a couple months ago. If it's truth, backed by facts, not sure how that's confirmation bias.

I find it to be great news, encouraging that we are able to see higher survival rates in just a few short months.

MBAR
AG
Gap said:

jeffk said:

If it isn't "interesting" in two weeks, do we get to stop panicking about it and go about our lives with people taking precautions only as they see fit?
If you don't get into an accident while you wear a seatbelt do you wear one the next time you get in your car?

What kind of logic is this? Hospitals around the state are literally at capacity right now. Lets hope we somehow avoid disasters in certain parts of the state but you honestly think this "panicking" is not appropriate?

People taking precautions as they see fit has us on the brink of an absolute disaster. You guys can talk about how not bad this is, but the moment those hospitals start triaging patients we step off a cliff and the death rate will climb very quickly and very harshly.

I don't think some of you quite grasp how close to a proverbial cliff we are in parts of Texas.

EDIT: And just to be clear, this "panicking" isn't even a shutdown. Its not allowing indoor dining, bars being closed, and telling you to wear a mask.
Bunk Moreland
The way we treat severe covid patients has already improved dramatically over the last 4 months now that we know so much more.

Additionally its now an undisputed fact the high death rates early on were direct results of policy decisions in certain states that mandated actions which did the exact OPPOSITE of what we should do during an epidemic, which is protect our most vulnerable (the elderly) .
MBAR
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

The way we treat severe covid patients has already improved dramatically over the last 4 months now that we know so much more.

Additionally its now an undisputed fact the high death rates early on were direct results of policy decisions in certain states that mandated actions which did the exact OPPOSITE of what we should do during an epidemic, which is protect our most vulnerable (the elderly) .
I don't discount that one bit. That goes all out the window when you have limited access to services because hospitals are overwhelmed. This is currently happening parts of Texas. Not here, but the systems are strained quite severely state wide.

People really don't seem to get the severity of the current situation.
Bunk Moreland
Where are the areas under severe strain and what is the severity?
MBAR
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Where are the areas under severe strain and what is the severity?
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/04/texas-coronavirus-rio-grande-valley-hospitals/

San Antonio is pretty bad as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 50 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.