B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,095,902 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rapier108 said:

59 new cases
62 new tests
0 deaths
23 in the hospital (+3)

Massive drop in the number of active cases and corresponding jump in recovered cases.

77801 +3
77802 +2
77803 +22
77805 +1 (first in this zip code)
77807 +3
77808 +1
77840 +9
77845 +16
Unknown +2

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/6.16.20.pdf
In response to Bill Oliver pushing them on it at yesterday's presser?

He essentially said, Your (BCHD) failure to get the "recovered" numbers in line is causing a lot of worry/concern. What is the ground truth as best you can tell?
Loaded
AG
cavscout96 said:

Rapier108 said:

59 new cases
62 new tests
0 deaths
23 in the hospital (+3)

Massive drop in the number of active cases and corresponding jump in recovered cases.

77801 +3
77802 +2
77803 +22
77807 +3
77808 +1
77840 +9
77845 +16
Unknown +2

He essentially said, Your (BCHD) failure to get the "recovered" numbers in line is causing a lot of worry/concern. What is the ground truth as best you can tell?
So are they going to an "assumed recovered" model whereby someone is assumed to be recovered if they aren't in the hospital or deceased after several weeks?
Rapier108
cavscout96 said:

Rapier108 said:

59 new cases
62 new tests
0 deaths
23 in the hospital (+3)

77801 +3
77802 +2
77803 +22
77807 +3
77808 +1
77840 +9
77845 +16
Unknown +2

It's quite possible.

Unless the person is dead, in the hospital, or their doctor has reported the person still has not recovered, after a month or more, there is absolutely no reason to leave them on the active list. Most people just want to go on about their lives and not get tested over, and over, and over, especially when some tests keep returning false positives because it continues to detect the virus' corpse that is no longer infectious.

There are a few cases where people are still sick 8 weeks after the initial symptoms, and some even still test positive, but those are incredibly rare.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
benchmark
AG
Rapier108 said:

Clearly the BCHD is being lazy and not correcting those zip codes to reflect the residence, not a PO box.
Pfft ... no one can make a contextual decision using their data anyway.
cavscout96
AG
Loaded said:

cavscout96 said:

Rapier108 said:

59 new cases
62 new tests
0 deaths
23 in the hospital (+3)

77801 +3
77802 +2
77803 +22
77807 +3
77808 +1
77840 +9
77845 +16
Unknown +2

So are they going to an "assumed recovered" model whereby someone is assumed to be recovered if they aren't in the hospital or deceased after several weeks?
not sure, but I would say it's a fairly safe bet.
isitjustme
AG
New cluster of 55 from the construction company on TAMU campus as per kbtx news story:

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/06/16/55-construction-workers-on-texas-am-campus-test-positive-for-covid-19/

I wonder if these were already included in the cluster count or if they need to be switched over from community.
EBrazosAg
AG
Congrats to Abbott staying reasonable about hospital capacity, etc. today. IMHO he's done about as well as he could through this, considering all sides pulling at him. Abbott for Prez in 2024?? Our biggest local threat to hospital capacity remains TDCJ. Hopefully someone in government will address and alter that problem.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggielawyer00
AG
Is there a link to watch the press conference from today? I turned it on WAY late and missed almost everything (other than a question or two)
FlyRod
Curious if reassurances about local hospital bed availability were only referring to COVID patients, or anyone else who might need oneheart attacks, strokes, cancer, etc. as COVID related hospitalizations rise.
deh40
AG
cavscout96 said:

Rapier108 said:

59 new cases
62 new tests
0 deaths
23 in the hospital (+3)

77801 +3
77802 +2
77803 +22
77807 +3
77808 +1
77840 +9
77845 +16
Unknown +2

It's about time they got called out on the false narrative of their active cases number, which had been overstated by 150-200 for some time.
Rapier108
aggielawyer00 said:

Is there a link to watch the press conference from today? I turned it on WAY late and missed almost everything (other than a question or two)

"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
JMac03
AG
agrab86 said:

New cluster of 55 from the construction company on TAMU campus as per kbtx news story:

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/06/16/55-construction-workers-on-texas-am-campus-test-positive-for-covid-19/

I wonder if these were already included in the cluster count or if they need to be switched over from community.
I am going to "guess" some of these were already included in other days because I knew last week about ~30 of them testing positive.
KidDoc
AG
The good news with the A&M Cluster is that one was hospitalized x 24 hours and MOST never showed symptoms.

Again it seems that for those without the known risk factors this is overwhelmingly a mild disease.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't take reasonable precautions but the fear of liability and mass death is long gone IMO outside of high risk locations like nursing homes and hospitals. I think any large activities that one wants to attend should come with the known risk of getting COVID and you should plan accordingly.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
benchmark
AG
agrab86 said:

Sounds like BCHD's version of Abbott and Costello ... Community is 'Who', Cluster is 'What', and Travel is 'I don't know.'
lockett93
AG
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q

Spreadsheet Updated
FlyRod
Quote:

Again it seems that for those without the known risk factors this is overwhelmingly a mild disease.

Would be great if true. Wish we had better data on what "recovered" means, given the reports of folks with symptoms lasting weeks after, messed up organs, neurological issues, etc. Websites appearing with "long-termers" sharing their "recovery" stories. We are a little over three months into this and we're still gathering data on long-term effects. Maybe people suffering these are .001% of the "recovered." Fantastic if true. Maybe herd immunity will happen (no medical/scientific consensus on that). Also fantastic if it turns out to be true.

And I hope such data become available soon to better help people make decisions about what to do or not do.
Rapier108
KidDoc said:

The good news with the A&M Cluster is that one was hospitalized x 24 hours and MOST never showed symptoms.
And yet Sullivan said yesterday that we're not seeing asymptomatic cases in Brazos County.
cavscout96
AG
agrab86 said:

Hard to say. Hard to trust much about the numbers or the way they are being reported.
cavscout96
AG
KidDoc said:

That doesn't mean you shouldn't take reasonable precautions but the fear of liability and mass death is long gone IMO outside of high risk locations like nursing homes and hospitals. I think any large activities that one wants to attend should come with the known risk of getting COVID and you should plan accordingly.

Thanks KD. I have pretty reliable source that echoes the same. Almost entirely asymptomatic.
chiwowwow
Why do you say that MOST were asymptomatic is "good news"?
isitjustme
AG
chiwowwow said:

My guess is because they're not sick, which would be bad for them personally and for hospital space. Plus it reinforces the common knowledge that most people without underlying conditions are rarely negatively impacted. Plus, many studying this are saying it is very difficult for those with no symptoms to spread it to others, so those who were asymptomatic didn't negatively impact others.

All of this is good news.
chiwowwow
Guess I would beg to differ! I work in a cluster. Many asymptomatic, quietly passing it unknowingly to 65 other people in the same building! Pretty sure even the asymptomatic are passing it on. Would not make sense that these clusters containing 40+ positive cases have symptomatic people showing up to work obviously sick and passing it, so I believe that asymptomatic cases are surely passing it. I feel that is what makes this so dangerous.
benchmark
AG
chiwowwow said:

Guess I would beg to differ! I work in a cluster. Many asymptomatic, quietly passing it unknowingly to 65 other people in the same building! Pretty sure even the asymptomatic are passing it on. Would not make sense that these clusters containing 40+ positive cases have symptomatic people showing up to work obviously sick and passing it, so I believe that asymptomatic cases are surely passing it. I feel that is what makes this so dangerous.
Without recalling the exact number tested (150ish) and 50 or so positive from that one cluster...1 out of 3 tells me it spreads pretty easily even if they are asymptomatic.
aggietoolman
AG
I believe Rusty said on news tonight that all but 6 of the 55 had no symptoms.
b0ridi
chiwowwow said:

People show up to work sick all the time. Especially if you work at a place like Sanderson (not an office job that can be done from home) and you're living paycheck-to-paycheck.
MiMi
S
It would also be helpful to follow the asymptomatic positive cases to see if they develop symptoms in the next few days. I believe the ability to transmit the virus is greater in those that are presymptomatic or have such mild symptoms they don't even realize it could be coronavirus (vs. allergies, etc).
isitjustme
AG
aggietoolman said:

I believe Rusty said on news tonight that all but 6 of the 55 had no symptoms.
This tells me the 6 with symptoms likely spread it to 49 others but not the rest.

A WHO doctor said last week that transmission from asymptomatic is very rare. Other WHO staff had to walk that back the next day, likely because the former accidentally told the truth, a truth which didn't fit their political agenda. Given WHO's record, I'm prepared to trust the first statement.
tb9665
I agree with MiMi we need to watch others.
cavscout96
AG
chiwowwow said:

"Again it seems that for those without the known risk factors this is overwhelmingly a mild disease."

Plus, even a rudimentary understanding of the principles of epidemiology would lead you to the only logical conclusion. This doesn't end until herd immunity is established. Period.

That happens one of two ways

1. Widespread vaccination
2. Widespread infection and recovery

So, evidence of a large number of folks infected but not showing symptoms gives us two good things to consider.

1. It's spreading, and we are inching, ever so slowly, to achieving the ONLY thing that resolves this pandemic. Herd immunity.

2. It is VERY likely that this disease has been here WAY longer than we thought and we are actually moderately closer to getting there than the reported numbers would lead you to believe.

So, "Good News."

But if hysteria works better for you, by all means....
toolshed
AG
chiwowwow said:

Scout didn't say "good news" in the post above yours unless I missed something. KidDoc did, and as he's stated before in this thread, his main concern is hospitalizations. People are going to get sick, it's not going away. But if there can get sick and recover without hospital intervention or overwhelming the system, that's "good news".
FlyRod
Quote:

Plus, even a rudimentary understanding of the principles of epidemiology would lead you to the only logical conclusion. This doesn't end until herd immunity is established. Period.

There is no medical/scientific consensus that herd immunity is forthcoming with this very aptly named "novel" corona virus.

So to cast this as the only possible ending is disingenuous, period. At best.
australopithecus robustus
So refreshing to see a voice of reason amidst all of the hysteria. I'm still flummoxed by much of the public reaction. The numbers WILL go up. Life WILL go on. Now, act accordingly.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

There is no medical/scientific consensus that herd immunity is forthcoming with this very aptly named "novel" corona virus.

So to cast this as the only possible ending is disingenuous, period. At best.

Not sure what you are driving at here. There isn't going to be, and doesn't need to be, any consensus. Herd immunity is how epidemics/pandemics end. How long it takes to get there is certainly a matter of debate, but that doesn't change the end result.

I'm completely genuine, all day, every day.

cavscout96
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

So refreshing to see a voice of reason amidst all of the hysteria. I'm still flummoxed by much of the public reaction. The numbers WILL go up. Life WILL go on. Now, act accordingly.

This may be the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me.

We should never meet in person.

#thatwasajoke #iactuallyDOhaveasenseofhumor
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I like you.
First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.