B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,095,711 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
53 new cases
19 deaths (+1) (Woman in her 80s who was hospitalized)
4 in the hospital (-1)
159 new tests

77801 +2
77802 +1
77803 +8
77807 +36
77808 +1
77840 +2
77845 +3
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
trouble
AG
So without the new cluster at Parc, numbers are looking about the same as we've been seeing.
Rapier108
trouble said:

So without the new cluster at Parc, numbers are looking about the same as we've been seeing.
Depends on whether or not all of the cases from P@T are in today's total, or if some of those are spread out over the last 2-3 days.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
trouble
AG
34 are residents so I'm just guessing that's most of the 36 in 77807
Rapier108
trouble said:

34 are residents so I'm just guessing that's most of the 36 in 77807
Yep.

I was referring to "11 associates" (employees I assume) as whether or not they're part of today's total. If they are, then the cases being in every zip code makes sense.

We'll see how willing our dear leaders are on Tuesday with telling us anything. All of here at TexAgs put out more information than the BCHD ever does.

On that note, the P@T cases are probably that unlabeled section of the "cases by race/ethnicity" pie chart.
jeffk
AG
Since I'm sure people are wondering, they've actually been really proactive about instituting safety measures at Parc since the outbreak at the Waterford. All employees are masked and gloved at all times, assisted living and memory care have locked down with no extra travel and no visitation at all allowed. Lots of sanitation procedures in place to clean rooms and facilities regularly, etc. Now how well all those things were being enforced is impossible to know. From the information I've been privy to, there was an employee or two who were probably asymptomatic for a while that continued to work. Targeted super spreaders basically. It was what we'd feared all along because there's really no sure-fire way to prevent someone who works there from bringing it in from outside - especially if they don't show any symptoms to provide warning.

Ultimately, I don't know enough to say exactly how the disease arrived or spread among the residents and staff, but I don't currently believe it happened due to negligence.

My family member is one of the ones hospitalized but they're showing no signs of serious respiratory problems, which is our biggest worry right now.
benchmark
AG
Prayers lifted for your family member...

Gloves, unless changed between every room, can give a false sense of security. Hopefully, they will be even more vigilant moving forward.
KidDoc
AG
jeffk said:

Since I'm sure people are wondering, they've actually been really proactive about instituting safety measures at Parc since the outbreak at the Waterford. All employees are masked and gloved at all times, assisted living and memory care have locked down with no extra travel and no visitation at all allowed. Lots of sanitation procedures in place to clean rooms and facilities regularly, etc. Now how well all those things were being enforced is impossible to know. From the information I've been privy to, there was an employee or two who were probably asymptomatic for a while that continued to work. Targeted super spreaders basically. It was what we'd feared all along because there's really no sure-fire way to prevent someone who works there from bringing it in from outside - especially if they don't show any symptoms to provide warning.

Ultimately, I don't know enough to say exactly how the disease arrived or spread among the residents and staff, but I don't currently believe it happened due to negligence.

My family member is one of the ones hospitalized but they're showing no signs of serious respiratory problems, which is our biggest worry right now.

Great info.

The asymptomatic super spread story is what I am worried about personally. With a normal day of 20ish patients multiplied by family exposure I could easily expose 200+ people before I even knew I was sick.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
02skiag
AG
This is a good opportunity for some local data on a large cluster. I doubt we will get any of it though. How many are asymptomatic, how many have mild symptoms, how many are severe?
BCSWguru
I know a positive test at the Parc. Age 80+ and has shown no symptoms. Otherwise healthy save the positive test .
aggiegal99
Same. A friend's parent tested positive. They were surprised, as the parent exhibited no symptoms. It could be the same person, I suppose.
Goose83
AG
Another argument for wearing masks to prevent transmission. You can dump a supertanker's worth of disinfectant on every surface, nook and cranny, but as long as people without masks continue to seed the virus into the air (especially in a closed system), nothing is going to change.

Belton Ag
AG
aggiegal99 said:

Same. A friend's parent tested positive. They were surprised, as the parent exhibited no symptoms. It could be the same person, I suppose.
I know someone who's parent at Waterford tested positive but showed no symptoms as well. This thing is just very random it seems.
bloom
Prayers for your family member and the other residents. My 90 year old mother is in a facility similar to The Parc. If the sun is out and the temp is over 60 degrees she goes to sit outside every day. Many other residents do the same thing. I know studies say a low Vitamin D level puts you at higher risk, so I am wondering if anyone has tracked whether the residents who get outdoors every day are having milder symptoms?
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Picadillo
Don't know what type test they use at P@T, but there are still issues with false positive/negatives.
Rapier108
2 new cases
63 new tests
0 new deaths
5 in the hospital (+1)

77803 +1
77807 +1

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/5.24.20.pdf
02skiag
AG
Goose61 said:

Another argument for wearing masks to prevent transmission. You can dump a supertanker's worth of disinfectant on every surface, nook and cranny, but as long as people without masks continue to seed the virus into the air (especially in a closed system), nothing is going to change.

It seems this would have zero help on residential spread. As a poster mentioned, PT was doing a good job with masks, etc for staff. However, you can't have the residents wearing masks all day, especially those needing assisted living. Wearing masks all day would likely compromise their health.
JR Ewing
AG
It seems to me that the more information the citizens have, the better decisions can be made as to whether this is widespread throughout the community. If it is that the majority (say 99%) of cases are the Chicken place and the two nursing homes, it would be very easy to contact trace and minimize risks to the community. There may be very minimal to none "out and about", but we dont know , since the health department keeps that information close to the vest. Then, the citizenry are forced to quarantine when it may not be necessary. It just seems like more information would be better than what is being provided to the community. Just my 0.02, FWIW...
Belton Ag
AG
JR Ewing said:

It seems to me that the more information the citizens have, the better decisions can be made as to whether this is widespread throughout the community. If it is that the majority (say 99%) of cases are the Chicken place and the two nursing homes, it would be very easy to contact trace and minimize risks to the community. There may be very minimal to none "out and about", but we dont know , since the health department keeps that information close to the vest. Then, the citizenry are forced to quarantine when it may not be necessary. It just seems like more information would be better than what is being provided to the community. Just my 0.02, FWIW...
Example 1058 of why our country has exhibited poor leadership from the very top to the bottom.
nthomas99
AG
JR Ewing said:

Pretty sure this is precisely why details aren't released. The general tone of local political leadership has been one of blaming a "misbehaving" populace and "people not following the rules" as to why the virus hasn't magically disappeared. If it's the truth that random community spread, while real, isn't the primary cause of continued growth of virus, well then, I think they fear that somehow South College Station is going to turn into one big, massive coronavirus transmitting party.

All the data I see points to the standard 80/20 rule type thing. 20% of measures yield at least 80% of results. Closing schools + the university, pausing mass gatherings like sporting events, and better protecting the high density vulnerable populations is almost certainly plenty more than enough to keep the spread of the virus from going out of control.
MiMi
S
Today's numbers: http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/5.25.20.pdf
Rapier108
3 new cases
0 new tests
0 new deaths
4 in the hospital (-1)

77845 +1

None of the other zip codes show a change so I assume its another typo. We'll see if they correct it later.

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/5.25.20.pdf
FlyRod
Nice to see those hospitalizations decrease.
laavispa
As I posted back on 5.6, other counties are doing a much better job of keeping folks informed. Local Politicos want to treat the citizen like mushrooms- and you know how that goes.

Do appreciate Rapier trying to keep the Health Dept. honest. The darned pie charts are old school compared to a good Dashboard presentation.

cavscout96
AG
nthomas99 said:

JR Ewing said:

Pretty sure this is precisely why details aren't released. The general tone of local political leadership has been one of blaming a "misbehaving" populace and "people not following the rules" as to why the virus hasn't magically disappeared. If it's the truth that random community spread, while real, isn't the primary cause of continued growth of virus, well then, I think they fear that somehow South College Station is going to turn into one big, massive coronavirus transmitting party.

All the data I see points to the standard 80/20 rule type thing. 20% of measures yield at least 80% of results. Closing schools + the university, pausing mass gatherings like sporting events, and better protecting the high density vulnerable populations is almost certainly plenty more than enough to keep the spread of the virus from going out of control.
I have a close friend in Peds... He is 100% AGAINST closing the schools. The AAP has, generally, supported the same position. Take the Sweden approach as it relates to schools.

Does that apply to the University? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he would have been OK to wait two weeks after spring break and bring the student back. Hard to say now.

The bottom line is B/CS "leaders" have been anything but.
cavscout96
AG
as a result, I think a lot of folks are largely ignoring them. Just remember come November.
Post removed:
by user
Stupe
S
Our pediatrician agrees. Spring Break plus a week and then send them back to school.
I tend to agree with that.

On the flip side, people already seem to be forgetting that this is a novel virus and nobody knew what to expect.
Tailgate88
AG
We need a normal fall for schools. Anyone who wants to continue classes online can have the option but I bet 95% of the kids will choose to go back. Normal hours, normal sports and extracurricular.
dubi
AG
Tailgate88 said:

We need a normal fall for schools. Anyone who wants to continue classes online can have the option but I bet 95% of the kids will choose to go back. Normal hours, normal sports and extracurricular.
+ 1 million
cavscout96
AG
Stupe said:

Our pediatrician agrees. Spring Break plus a week and then send them back to school.
I tend to agree with that.

On the flip side, people already seem to be forgetting that this is a novel virus and nobody knew what to expect.
We do have +/- 100 years of epidemiology to rely on. This is my buddy's 20th pandemic. It's, generally, played out like all the others, which he predicted would happen long before it became prevalent in the US.
cavscout96
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

They've been terrible for years, yet people keep electing these clowns.
what does that say about "us?"

serious question
BQ_90
AG
cavscout96 said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

They've been terrible for years, yet people keep electing these clowns.
what does that say about "us?"

serious question
define us, does even 50% of the eligible voters vote in national elections? Then add to that even less take part in local elections.

From a voting standpoint, this town acts and votes like a dink hick town. So a very small active group controls the local elections.
jeffk
AG
Just a quick update, but my family member was discharged from the hospital last night. Feeling very fortunate that it was a mild case and the only symptoms he experienced were fevers, weakness, and some exacerbated problems related to his preexisting condition. No respiratory problems to speak of which was our main worry. Very glad to have him back resting in a more familiar environment now. Thanks for all the prayers and kind words - they meant more than you'll ever know.
First Page Last Page
Page 21 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.