B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,095,752 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
Fitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Data as of 5/3/20, as published by the Texas DSHS.
tb9665
I wonder what will happen after this Thursday when the results will come back in from the testing center opening up. Also, they say they only have 120 testes. How many people will call and try to get an appointment?
b0ridi
tb9665 said:

I wonder what will happen after this Thursday when the results will come back in from the testing center opening up. Also, they say they only have 120 testes. How many people will call and try to get an appointment?
Well that's 118 more than me.
tb9665
tb9665 said:

That was a typo.
Builder93
AG
b0ridi said:

tb9665 said:

Well that's 118 more than me.
Or they have plenty of staff to take care of you.
cavscout96
AG
Fitch said:

Data as of 5/3/20, as published by the Texas DSHS.
must be considered with an increase in testing. Average hospitalized might be the best actual indicator of where we stand.

happyinBCS
As usual the update at 4 30 was the same ol oh did you hear the mayor of CS said he saw a lot of folks with no mask on please forgive me, must we wear a mask or in the position he holds could he have said it in a more positive note Thankful the updates will be once a week going forward
isitjustme
AG
happyinBCS said:

As usual the update at 4 30 was the same ol oh did you hear the mayor of CS said he saw a lot of folks with no mask on please forgive me, must we wear a mask or in the position he holds could he have said it in a more positive note Thankful the updates will be once a week going forward
Mayor Mooney is a chicken little type trying to scare/shame everybody who doesn't share his fear into complying with a mask recommendation (not a mandate). There's a reason it's not a mandate, and I trust those who are working with guv on this more than Mooney.
FlyRod
People are free not to wear masks. I am free not to patronize businesses where staff and patrons are cavalier and behaving as if this is no big deal. I'm also free to tell anyone, in my own particular way, that I don't approve of them getting physically close to me like we're old friends, and if anyone happens to be on the receiving end of this, please don't take it personally; I just don't want to end up on a ventilator...nothing personal. Good luck to everyone.
isitjustme
AG
FlyRod said:

People are free not to wear masks. I am free not to patronize businesses where staff and patrons are cavalier and behaving as if this is no big deal. I'm also free to tell anyone, in my own particular way, that I don't approve of them getting physically close to me like we're old friends, and if anyone happens to be on the receiving end of this, please don't take it personally; I just don't want to end up on a ventilator...nothing personal. Good luck to everyone.
I agree with your position. We should all be free to take whichever path we want to on this, to wear masks or not, to patronize shops that do/don't require masks or not (shops are free to choose as well), etc. And while I choose not to wear the mask, I do keep a bit of a distance between myself and others I don't know b/c I don't know their preferences. And, yes, Good luck to everyone.
tb9665
I had to go to the store tonight. I saw too people not wearing masks. It almost looked like summer last year. I expect we get hit with something in about 3-4 weeks.
curry97
AG
Mooney wasn't wearing a mask when I saw him a couple of weeks ago, when he went through the Tower Point HEB self checkout. Amazing.
Rexter
Mayors Doom and Gloom are above those recommendations.
nthomas99
AG
Rexter said:

I mean really, I just watched the presser section with Mayor Mooney shaming all who don't wear a mask and reminding us about freezers outside morgues in New Jersey. Will someone please remind him we have 3 people in the entire county in the hospital due to Covid-19 and haven't had a death in 16 days? That's the kind of talk you expect to hear when hospitals are teetering near capacity.
Rapier108
And 11 of those deaths were from The Waterford.

1 death we know is not connected to The Waterford, and unless I missed something, the other 4 are unknown.

As for Mooney. He is probably salivating while thinking about what the governor of New Mexico did to Gallup and wishing he could do it here.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
BCS-Ag
What's up with the vet school not being allowed to do testing en masse. It sounds like a beaurocratic problem that there is a huge incentive to overcome .. 1800 tests a day here in CS!

https://today.tamu.edu/2020/04/29/texas-am-veterinary-lab-testing-people-for-covid-19/
EBrazosAg
AG
Has nothing to do with this forum post subject. They are handling our local demand well. Maybe some statewide forum .....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BCS-Ag
EBrazosAg said:

Has nothing to do with this forum post subject. They are handling our local demand well. Maybe some statewide forum .....

I disagree, I thought about making a new thread but decided this would be the right place as others were lamenting about us not having more testing locally. I do think this could have an impact statewide, but that's not the reason I'm asking here.
cavscout96
AG
nthomas99 said:

Rexter said:

I mean really, I just watched the presser section with Mayor Mooney shaming all who don't wear a mask and reminding us about freezers outside morgues in New Jersey. Will someone please remind him we have
3 people in the entire county in the hospital due to Covid-19 and haven't had a death in 16 days? That's the kind of talk you expect to hear when hospitals are teetering near capacity.
remember at the ballot box
cavscout96
AG
Rapier108 said:

And 11 of those deaths were from The Waterford.

1 death we know is not connected to The Waterford, and unless I missed something, the other 4 are unknown.

As for Mooney. He is probably salivating while thinking about what the governor of New Mexico did to Gallup and wishing he could do it here.
would BCSD enforce?
KidDoc
AG
BCS-Ag said:

What's up with the vet school not being allowed to do testing en masse. It sounds like a beaurocratic problem that there is a huge incentive to overcome .. 1800 tests a day here in CS!

https://today.tamu.edu/2020/04/29/texas-am-veterinary-lab-testing-people-for-covid-19/
Thanks for linking. This is the same government garbage that held in testing in the beginning of the pandemic. Just insane.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rapier108
Out early today, and the expected spike from 2 days of nothing.

10 new cases
1 new death (Woman in her 90s who was not hospitalized in B/CS)
114 test results vs. 7 over the two previous days.
1 more in the hospital.

77803 +4
77840 +1
77845 +5

Looks like increases are people in their 30s, 40s, 60s, and 70s and mostly among Hispanics and women.

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/5.5.20.pdf

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/10-new-positive-cases-17th-death-reported-in-Brazos-County-570207431.html
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
KidDoc
AG
Rapier108 said:

Out early today, and the expected spike from 2 days of nothing.

10 new cases
1 new death (Woman in her 90s who was not hospitalized in B/CS)
114 test results vs. 7 over the two previous days.
1 more in the hospital.

77803 +4
77840 +1
77845 +5

Looks like increases are people in their 30s, 40s, 60s, and 70s and mostly among Hispanics and women.

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/5.5.20.pdf

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/10-new-positive-cases-17th-death-reported-in-Brazos-County-570207431.html

Remember that with COVID exposure to illness is usually 7ish days. Add in testing delay of a day or 2 and you should not expect to see an increase based on social changes for 10 days.

I expect to see a small bump in 10 days and a significant bump in 20 but I believe our hospitals are prepared at this time.

Rapier108
Yeah, it has nothing to do with any changes in what is and isn't open, although I would bet a lot of people think it does.

IMO, it is because there are almost no test results Sunday or Monday, and this is the results catching up.
AggiePhil
AG
Numbers are starting to rise again. Not good.
Rapier108
Did you read the two posts above or did you just want to drop a doom bomb?

This is not the first time we've seen 2-3 days with little to nothing, and almost no increase in test results, and them all of a sudden, a higher than normal of test results come back. Clearly some lab dumped a bunch of results at once, because there is no chance that only 7 tests were conducted over multiple days.
trouble
AG
Deaths and hospitalizations aren't though. That's more important than the number of cases.
KidDoc
AG
AggiePhil said:

Numbers are starting to rise again. Not good.
Numbers are going to rise. It is the nature of this virus. The key factor is hospital utilization and availability. This virus is way too wide spread to quarantine to death. China made sure of that by not restricting international flights in December.
trouble
AG
This rational thinking is why I'm glad you're our doctor.
dubi
AG
This is Sweden.

They did not close their business or schools! They did ask the elderly and sick to shelter in place.

Note the spikes? However they are still dropping and way ahead of us in getting herd immunity. Let's be like Sweden!

Texas for comparison.

If you are interested in these charts, they have them for all the major countries, plus the states too.

Dr Frank Models
aggiepm
AG
Out of curiosity, how did you (or anyone else) make your decision to not wear a mask?
benchmark
AG
twdthree said:

Out of curiosity, how did you (or anyone else) make your decision to not wear a mask?
Out of curiosity, when do you not wear a mask?
And though Sweden's hospitals are not overwhelmed yet, they did put in place a policy that no one 80 years or older gets admitted to the ICU. Same goes for those 60 and over with an underlying condition. That policy would sure clear out a bunch of NY City's hospitals but not sure how Americans would feel about grandma being turned away simply due to age.
Rapier108
1.618 said:

And though Sweden's hospitals are not overwhelmed yet, they did put in place a policy that no one 80 years or older gets admitted to the ICU. Same goes for those 60 and over with an underlying condition. That policy would sure clear out a bunch of NY City's hospitals but not sure how Americans would feel about grandma being turned away simply due to age.
That's what happens with government run healthcare.
KidDoc
AG
dubi said:

This is Sweden.

They did not close their business or schools! They did ask the elderly and sick to shelter in place.

Note the spikes? However they are still dropping and way ahead of us in getting herd immunity. Let's be like Sweden!

Texas for comparison.

If you are interested in these charts, they have them for all the major countries, plus the states too.

Dr Frank Models

So you are ok with a 10% death rate?

You are welcome to move to Sweden if you want.
First Page Last Page
Page 12 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.