B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,095,724 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TxFoundry said:

Dallas County followed Travis County by announcing all residents will be required to wear a mask out in public.

What's the odds that gets announced today for us as well? The local leaders sure like to follow in the footsteps of the big boy counties...
Mooney has said that they're using Jenkins in Dallas as their guide for what to do. (He is probably the worst person on Earth to be listening to.)

It would not be a surprise at all if they do it.

Actually, I would not be surprised if they order everyone to wear positive pressure suits.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Rapier108
Beyond the daily stats which we already know.

They want to eventually test for antibodies, and more tests in general.

Onto clusters, 49% they said are cluster related.

Said they can't give out the location where people live, which we all know. No one has asked for that, but they could always say "four clusters are houses, one is an apartment complex, another is a street, etc" but of course they won't do that. As usual, they whiff on it.

They'll start breaking down the numbers by zip codes, perhaps by tomorrow. Doesn't really tell us much because people can move around, and a zip code isn't just a few city blocks.

Age range with the highest percentage is people in their 20s at 21%. Did not give out the rest of the breakdown. Perhaps that will also be included in tomorrow's update with the zip code.

Now the hospitals are talking. Will post if they say anything useful.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Rapier108
From St. Joseph: Usually 2-3 patients at any one time with some requiring ventilators.

They're still expecting a spike in cases and patients. They have no shortage of supplies. If absolutely necessary, they have 400 beds available, with the capacity of 120 beds for people who need ventilators.

SJ does not expect this to end and what we see now will be the "new normal". In other words, they see us having to live like this forever.

SJ can now test in house, and next will have antibody tests ready to go.

S&W talked about how hospitals are losing money because of not being able to do surgeries and imaging tests. Their ICU was 70% full last week (most are not CV related), and they have a backup ICU location if needed. It has since dropped.

S&W in CS can now do virus testing as well. They also had to say that normal for us now will be this virus, as if there is no end.

S&W had a patient there for 20 days including most of it in ICU on a ventilator. (I would assume someone from The Waterford).

S&W does have plenty of supplies as well.

Hospitals are at only around 60% capacity which is low for this time of the year because usually it is almost 100%. Some of this is due to no elective surgeries, but also because of fewer hospitalizations due to other commutable illnesses like the flu.
Rapier108
KBTX asked if the numbers are being rigged to get extra money (like we've seen in New York.)

According to Sullivan, in Brazos County to be classified as a death from Coronavirus, one has to have a positive test, and die due to the complications of the virus. People who die and had signs of the virus, they will test the person.

While I've not been a big Sullivan fan, I don't think they're rigging the numbers. The higher than normal death rate is due to The Waterford.
nought
AG
Rapier108 said:

They're still expecting a spike in cases and patients.

Given the incredibly straight and flat line of cases per day (yes, it bounces around, but if you run a linear regression on it, it is a straight line with absolutely no prediction of a future spike), the only explanation for them still "expecting" this is that they are simply trying to justify keeping us all locked down.

All indications are that there is absolutely NO increase in the rate of cases. Yes, the overall number of cases is increasing, but the rate is not.

Given that, how can they "expect" a "spike"?

I am sad that our local media is either not intelligent enough or motivated enough to question the b***s*** they are being fed (and repeating to us).
KidDoc
AG
I watched it but I don't recall Dr Parsi saying they expect a spike, just that they are prepared for one.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cavscout96
AG
i agree

cavscout96
AG
Concur
cavscout96
AG
Every time I hear "new normal" or culture shift, etc., etc., I want to vomit.

I'm so tired of all the Chicken Little BS.

Rapier108
Yeah, I'll admit I messed that one up.

I'm not always the best at trying to transcribe a live video. Might leave that to someone who is better at it.
gigem92
AG
Today's numbers.

As of 4.17.20, there have been 6 additional positive cases of COVID-19 reported to the Brazos County Health District. This brings the total number of positive cases in Brazos County to 164.

The Brazos County Health District has confirmed the 15th death of a Brazos County resident who tested positive for COVD-19. The resident was a male in his 80's.

Although your interest during this extraordinary time is understandable, the Brazos County Health District (BCHD) can not release any other information about positive COVID-19 cases or deaths that are not already included in our daily updates.

Positive COVID-19 Cases in Brazos County
Total number of cases: 164
Total number recovered*: 50
Total number of current hospitalizations: 9
Daily number discharged from hospital: 0
Total number of deaths: 15
Total number of COVID-19 tests performed: 2,737
*Recovered is defined as someone who has been fever-free for 72 hours without fever-reducing medications, and it has been 7 days after onset of symptoms.
Our next press conference is scheduled for Monday, April 20 at 4:30 pm and can be viewed on Facebook Live /BrazosCountyHealthDistrict or live streaming on local TV stations.
Rapier108
Quote:

Although your interest during this extraordinary time is understandable, the Brazos County Health District (BCHD) can not release any other information about positive COVID-19 cases or deaths that are not already included in our daily updates.
Their daily BS line they always have to throw in.
Tailgate88
AG
Do we have any idea what the delay is currently for test results to come in? In other words, when were yesterday's six new cases actually tested?
Rapier108
Tailgate88 said:

Do we have any idea what the delay is currently for test results to come in? In other words, when were yesterday's six new cases actually tested?
Best case is 2-3 days, but probably closer to 4-6. There is probably 1 lab that is running very slow because it always seems every 6-7 days, always on or close to the weekend, we get a spike.

Both hospitals claim they can now run the test in hours rather than days so perhaps we'll start seeing results from them soon.

And the BCHD should be reporting when these people were tested. It in no way violates anyone's privacy nor does it identify those people.
CCMD
AG
SJ sends COVID-19 test to CPL in Austin. Turn around time usually 12-24 hours. If the test is positive, it comes back more quickly. Negative tests and poor sample swabs take longer, because of the process involved in replicating the RNA to minimize the risk of a false negative test.
Rapier108
Good to hear that they've got the time down to a day or less.

Hopefully the other labs are doing the same, or will be soon.
dave99ag
AG
My daughter, whom is at-risk, was tested last Wednesday at SJ. As above, they said it would be 24-48 hrs if we got a positive result. We didn't hear back until this Wednesday that it was negative. Those two days were a bit tense, but glad she's fine and it was "only" pneumonia.
benchmark
AG
Rapier108 said:

Quote:

Although your interest during this extraordinary time is understandable, the Brazos County Health District (BCHD) can will not release any other information about positive COVID-19 cases or deaths that are not already included in our daily updates.
Their daily BS line they always have to throw in.
FIFY
isitjustme
AG
http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/4.18.20_0.pdf

5 new cases, total 169. One additional death (male in his 70s), total 16.
First breakdown by zip code, but in ranges. Don't know why they don't just put the number unless it would make CS numbers look too big. Still, feeling good about my zip code.
88planoAg
AG
agrab86 said:

First breakdown by zip code, but in ranges. Don't know why they don't just put the number unless it would make CS numbers look too big. Still, feeling good about my zip code.
What does 'range of case numbers' mean?
trouble
AG
They have them grouped as number of cases 0-20, 21-40, 41-60, 60+ or something along those lines. Instead of saying like there 74 cases in 77845.
halibut sinclair
88planoAg said:

agrab86 said:

What does 'range of case numbers' mean?

The number of cases is within the listed range for that particular zip code.
88planoAg
AG
Ok well simple enough but that is dumb. Why do that.
nthomas99
AG
88planoAg said:

Ok well simple enough but that is dumb. Why do that.
obfuscate results, plain and simple.
Fitch
AG
Probably correlates with a map. Same method of reporting in other counties.

H2SAag
AG
Anyone know if Scott & White and St Joes will start doing some non-essential procedures starting Wednesday?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
isitjustme
AG
Fitch said:

Probably correlates with a map. Same method of reporting in other counties.

Probably so - doesn't make it any less dumb. If they know what range it's in, then they know the number. Why not just report the number. That would be a lot clearer.

What we have reported in BCS is that Bryan zip codes account for 45-90 cases and CS zip codes account for 82-100 cases. They should just tell us the numbers, not ranges, if they're going tell us anything more than county-wide numbers.
KidDoc
AG
Houston2AngeloAg said:

Anyone know if Scott & White and St Joes will start doing some non-essential procedures starting Wednesday?
I know the St Jo's surgeons were meeting yesterday to discuss this but I have not received any email updates at this time.

nought
AG
nought said:

... if you run a linear regression on it, it is a straight line with absolutely no prediction of a future spike ...

Interesting that since I posted this a couple of days ago, the "health" department removed the cases-per-day from their graphs! The total count increasing daily looks scary, so they left that.

Things that make you go hmmmm....
nought
AG
One other thing that caught my eye:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Local-nurse-collects-chargers-for-COVID-19-patients-569762681.html

Supposedly she ran out of chargers for COVID-19 patients even after receiving 130 chargers...and then another 240 from tmobile, so that's 370 so far. Are the local COVID-19 patients bringing in over 40 devices each? I believe today's COVID-19 hospitalized count for the entire county, not just St. Joseph's, was 8. 370/8 is a s***-ton of chargers per patient.

I'm flabbergasted that the great media minds who wrote the article didn't stop to do simple math.
AggiePhil
AG
Maybe they're throwing the chargers away after each use.
Rapier108
As AggiePhil said, they're probably being tossed, after the patient leaves.

Also, not all phones use the same connector so she could need the Apple Lightning cables, whatever the older iPhones use (can't remember the connector's name) micro-USB, micro-USB 3.0 (Samsung S5) and now USB-C. There might even be others I'm forgetting. Throw in someone having a tablet as well, that could require a completely different type of cable. Perhaps what they mean is she ran out of a certain type or types of cables.

I suspect this is another case of a KBTX article not being very clear on what is actually happening. There is no way that many cables have been used up, even among all of our local hospitals. Even if all 32 of the residents from The Waterford were hospitalized (and only 16 were according to KBTX) and had two devices each, it would still be no where near enough to burn through 370 cables. Heck, even if the total number hospitalized since the virus showed it ugly face has been 50-60, that would still not account for the usage. Besides, not to be morbid, but if you're on a ventilator, you're not going to be on your phone.
aggietoolman
AG
I'm sure these chargers/cables are being offered to all patients in the hospitals and not just the Covid patients.

Due to Covid, hospitals are limiting or not allowing visitors and might not allow them to bring anything in with them if they do allow the visitor.

Stupe
S
AggiePhil said:

Maybe they're throwing the chargers away after each use.
That wouldn't makes sense, at all.

They can be cleaned with soap and water.
AggiePhil
AG
I was being sarcastic.
First Page Last Page
Page 7 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.