B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,096,019 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PS3D said:

02skiag said:

We have the youngest death so far, a man in his 60s. The biggest thing to me that we are seeing is hospitalizations are staying pretty flat. We are back down to 8.
Guy was a prisoner from Navasota. He was serving a life sentence for aggravated sexual assault of a child under 14.

A loss for statistics, I suppose, but not a loss for the community.

Where did you get this info? I was told it was my husbands coworkers wife's coworkers uncle (hes the reason my husbands coworker had to get tested)
PS3D
02skiag said:

Are you sure that is accurate? I don't see any details like that for any deaths. Also, Navasota is in Grimes county, not Brazos.
It was in the paper this morning reporting Clerkly's death as the 13th fatality in Brazos County. He was from Navasota (at least he was in a Navasota prison), but died in a Brazos Co. hospital, and thus was counted as one of its death. As for what Clerkly did, that was just from searching his name in Google.
histag10
AG
He died in Grimes County per this article. He was also not from brazos county. There is no reason he should or would be considered in brazos county's numbers.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/TDCJ-says-inmate-death-in-Navasota-may-have-been-caused-by-COVID-19-569646141.html

Edit- I went and read the eagle article. It only lists him in the article about the states numbers surpassing 300, and has no mention of him being considered part of Brazos county's numbers, nor does it state he was hospitalized in Brazos county. Can you please provide the article you read it in?
PS3D
histag10 said:

He died in Grimes County per this article. He was also not from brazos county. There is no reason he should or would be considered in brazos county's numbers.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/TDCJ-says-inmate-death-in-Navasota-may-have-been-caused-by-COVID-19-569646141.html

Edit- I went and read the eagle article. It only lists him in the article about the states numbers surpassing 300, and has no mention of him being considered part of Brazos county's numbers, nor does it state he was hospitalized in Brazos county. Can you please provide the article you read it in?

The article says that a "man in his 60s who was hospitalized" and the "youngest person to die of COVID-19 in Brazos County". The next paragraph states that Leonard Clerkly (62) had died. If Clerkly wasn't the person in his 60s that died in Brazos County, the paper sure made it sound that way.
Aggieland Proud
AG
I had to reread that article a couple of times this morning because I initially read it the same way you did, but finally, I came to the conclusion that the inmate was not part of the Brazos County stats. I understand the confusion with the way the article was written.
trouble
AG
I'm shocked that an Eagle article wasn't clear.
Carnwellag2
how about the Eagle "reporters" actually do some reporting.

Questions i have:

speculation that most of the deaths are isolated to 1 nursing home, is this true....how many other resides and staff have the virus?

why are our university officials closing things down and making decisions that will destroy our community well in advance of state and federal guidelines?

We need to be holding people accountable for making bad decisions: young, McGinnis, etc.
MJ20/20
AG
It depends, did he go to 31 flavors last night?
Rapier108
Information from KBTX's 6:00PM newscast.

10 of the 13 deaths are from The Waterford nursing home

45 of the total number of cases are from The Waterford; 32 residents and 13 staff.

18 EMS responses to The Waterford, 16 transported to local hospitals

No EMS calls for the last 10 days

Outside company hired to do a full, deep cleaning and disinfection of the entire complex

A couple who are 88 and 89 and residents of The Waterford recovered from the virus

Edit: On the website now.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/45-COVID-19-cases-linked-assistant-living-center-College-Station-569670951.html

Second Edit: Because I clearly can't type. "22 residents" should have been 32.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
nthomas99
AG
Rapier108 said:

10 of the 13 deaths are from The Waterford

45 of cases are from The Waterford; 22 residents and 13 staff.

No EMS calls for the last 10 days.

Outside company hired to do a full, deep cleaning and disinfection of the entire complex.

A couple who are 88 and 89 and residents of The Waterford recovered from the virus.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/45-COVID-19-cases-linked-assistant-living-center-College-Station-569670951.html

Kudos to kbtx. Not surprised, but so disappointed. All this fear spread for all this time, and they knew all along that our statistics were heavily skewed by a terrible, but isolated tragedy. The theater at the pressers, seemingly perplexed as to why we had such a high mortality and attack rate of the virus, when they knew all along.

We need to start opening the county slowly and double down on protecting the most vulnerable among us.
Rapier108
I hope at least one person at the press conference tomorrow drops the hammer on the BCHD and our mayors.

But we all know it won't happen because the local media is completely in bed with our elected officials.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
happyinBCS
Simply unbelievable how non leader volunteer politicians control the narrative in a county of a quarter million people they should all resign and be ashamed of the millions of dollars they have cost the economy and the thousands of jobs lost
AgDotCom
Rapier108 said:

Outside company hired to do a full, deep cleaning and disinfection of the entire complex.

A couple who are 88 and 89 and residents of The Waterford recovered from the virus.

Your educated hunches have been disturbingly closer to truth over the past 7-10 days than not. We're fortunate to have your observations here. In some cases you've given us more insight than the officials who are supposed to do that. I feel the public should have been privy to this news, it would have mitigated angst among those who may have thought things were bad all over the place.
The Brazos Kid
Rapier108 said:

I hope at least one person at the press conference tomorrow drops the hammer on the BCHD and our mayors.

But we all know it won't happen because the local media is completely in bed with our elected officials.
Seriously. Tired of this "mushroom treatment"... out of an abundance of caution.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
nthomas99 said:

Rapier108 said:

Kudos to kbtx. Not surprised, but so disappointed. All this fear spread for all this time, and they knew all along that our statistics were heavily skewed by a terrible, but isolated tragedy. The theater at the pressers, seemingly perplexed as to why we had such a high mortality and attack rate of the virus, when they knew all along.

We need to start opening the county slowly and double down on protecting the most vulnerable among us.
People need to lose their jobs, resign or just get thrown out of office for this.

Withholding vital information and promoting fear among the townspeople. This is beyond inexcusable.
Rapier108
Thanks

You're absolutely right that this information should have been public as it would have calmed a lot of fear. I wish I could say more about likely clusters, but it would be just speculation, although I have no doubt I would right about at least 3 locations.

But that said, the local leaders clearly did not want people to have much information. They want people in terror so no one would dare oppose their shutdown orders.
benchmark
AG
So, we finally learn that 45 cases were at Waterford ... and combined with 25 travel related cases - that leaves about 80 cases classified as "community spread."

That said, what are they not telling us about the remaining 80 cases that would help us better understand the true nature of this virus spreading in our community?
trouble
AG
It's 32 residents, isn't it?
Rapier108
trouble said:

It's 32 residents, isn't it?
Yeah, it is. Typo on my part.

I'll go back and edit it. Thanks for catching it.
trouble
AG
I realized it when I was reading your post to my husband. I was like, wait that math isn't right
nthomas99
AG
benchmark said:

So, we finally learn that 45 cases were at Waterford ... and combined with 25 travel related cases - that leaves about 80 cases classified as "community spread."

That said, what are they not telling us about the remaining 80 cases that would help us better understand the true nature of this virus spreading in our community?

They could tell us information about the clustering of these cases & deaths (e.g., 45 cases in 3 other clusters of size 13, 15, 7) and whether these clusters are in the community at large (i.e., neighborhoods), employers (like the one reported at sanderson farms), or isolated communities (like retirement homes). All of this provides a lot of context to the numbers without violating anyone's privacy.

This aside, even without adjustments for the wateford and or other clusters, we're sitting at linear growth of confirmed cases for well over two weeks now, even as testing increases. They need to either explain where a sudden uptick is going to appear from or start saying they're recommending local officials start relaxing restrictions. All of the information we have publicly points to that somehow we've avoided a blowup here in the brazos county and have contained this very well. Yes, social distancing did its thing, but we appear to be doing more than is needed now.
benchmark
AG
nthomas99 said:

They could tell us information about the clustering of these cases (e.g., 45 cases in 3 other clusters of size 13, 15, 7) and whether these clusters are in the community at large (i.e., neighborhoods), employers (like the one reported at sanderson farms), or isolated communities (like retirement homes). All of this provides a lot of context to the numbers without violating anyone's privacy.

This aside, even without adjustments for the wateford and or other clusters, we're sitting at linear growth of confirmed cases for well over two weeks now, even as testing increases. They need to either explain where a sudden uptick is going to appear from or start saying they're recommending local officials start relaxing restrictions. All of the information we have publicly points to that somehow we've avoided a blowup here in the brazos county and have contained this very well. Yes, social distancing did its thing, but we appear to be doing more than is needed now.
Well said. It doesn't speak well of local leadership to be this opaque on public health. Very bad pookie.
cavscout96
AG
nthomas99 said:

benchmark said:

They could tell us information about the clustering of these cases (e.g., 45 cases in 3 other clusters of size 13, 15, 7) and whether these clusters are in the community at large (i.e., neighborhoods), employers (like the one reported at sanderson farms), or isolated communities (like retirement homes). All of this provides a lot of context to the numbers without violating anyone's privacy.

Maybe. Most folks I've talked to (medical professionals with several decades of experience in over a dozen pandemics) have said that the effects of SD in these outbreaks are negligible.

Both sides will claim victory

Chicken Littles : SEE, it worked! We told you. Next time, do as your told.....

Opponents : WTF, you said MILLIONS of people were going to die, that this was the "return of the Black Death." We're NEVER going to trust you again.

Admittedly, this is a bit of a false dichotomy. There are still folks with a brain who can see through both extremes and arrive pretty close to the truth even when our "leaders" have obfuscated the situation and left us to figure it out on our own.

cavscout96
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

nthomas99 said:

Rapier108 said:

People need to lose their jobs, resign or just get thrown out of office for this.

Withholding vital information and promoting fear among the townspeople. This is beyond inexcusable.
I still think Mooney is a sham (F). Nelson was slightly more measured, at least in his tone (D).

I'm disappointed in Peters, but when the two largest communities in the county go one way, he's in a tough spot if he doesn't back them up. I don't think he made the right call here, but we don't know what he was or wasn't told by who in the decision making process. (C-) It would be interesting to see what role county LEO had in enforcement.

Abbott - mixed - he didn't go draconian, but probably went farther than needed (likely at the behest of the mayors and judges for political top-cover) (B-)

Young - although generally I'm pretty lukewarm on Young, I think he did OK here. His problem set was different by far. LOTS of folks in tight quarters and very large gatherings. Not to mention folks traveling to the university from all over the world, literally, for graduation, parents weekend, ring day, muster, etc.

In his case, might be better to make the call early than cancel; everything last minute. This also has a psychological / morale effect on all involved.. "Well, that sucks, but at least I KNOW rather than being on a string." From what I've seen publicly, (who knows what's been said or done behind closed doors) I'd begrudgingly give him a B+... maybe even an A-
Rapier108
Abbott was forced to act because you had Dallas, Austin, Houston, and San Antonio, along with Waco, B/CS, and some smaller areas, trying to one up each other over and over on who could impose the most draconian restrictions.

Abbott had to put a stop to it before one of them really did go "Wuhan Style Lock Down" or declare martial law. The best thing he did was tell the cities they could not do anything beyond what was in his order. He also didn't come across as yelling "DOOM!" like many local leaders did. He kept calm and did his best to not incite panic.
gunan01
AG
I'm glad we have actual reporting being done now, and we have more concrete numbers to digest and mitigate the speculation.

I'm not sure anything is over or done. Cases in Texas are still rising and we haven't peaked yet. As long as nothing is over or done, I suspect shelter-in-place will actually be extended beyond April 30. I doubt our local/state leaders will open anything back up anytime soon.
cavscout96
AG
Rapier108 said:

Abbott was forced to act because you had Dallas, Austin, Houston, and San Antonio, along with Waco, B/CS, and some smaller areas, trying to one up each other over and over on who could impose the most draconian restrictions.

Abbott had to put a stop to it before one of them really did go "Wuhan Style Lock Down" or declare martial law. The best thing he did was tell the cities they could not do anything beyond what was in his order. He also didn't come across as yelling "DOOM!" like many local leaders did. He kept calm and did his best to not incite panic.
generally agreed. I would have liked him to say all of that publicly though.
cavscout96
AG
gunan01 said:

I'm glad we have actual reporting being done now, and we have more concrete numbers to digest and mitigate the speculation.

I'm not sure anything is over or done. Cases in Texas are still rising and we haven't peaked yet. As long as nothing is over or done, I suspect shelter-in-place will actually be extended beyond April 30. I doubt our local/state leaders will open anything back up anytime soon.
we've actually been steady or declining in new cases for a couple of days. yesterday was an uptick, but it's really hard to tell what is a testing lag and what is a reporting lag or both.

edit: By "we" I mean Texas.
gigem92
AG
Brazos County report for today

As of 4.16.20, there have been 7 additional positive cases of COVID-19 reported to the Brazos County Health District. This brings the total number of positive cases in Brazos County to 158.
The Brazos County Health District has confirmed the 14th death of a Brazos County resident who tested positive for COVD-19. The resident was a female in her 80's who was on hospice.
Although your interest during this extraordinary time is understandable, the Brazos County Health District (BCHD) can not release any other information about positive COVID-19 cases or deaths that are not already included in our daily updates.
Positive COVID-19 Cases in Brazos County
Total number of cases: 158
Total number recovered*: 41
Total number of current hospitalizations: 9
Daily number discharged from hospital: 0
Total number of deaths: 14
Total number of COVID-19 tests performed: 2,622
*Recovered is defined as someone who has been fever-free for 72 hours without fever-reducing medications, and it has been 7 days after onset of symptoms.
Our next press conference is scheduled for Thursday, April 16 at 4:30 pm and can be viewed on Facebook Live /BrazosCountyHealthDistrict or live streaming on local TV stations.
The Brazos Kid
Quote from nthomas99:

"The theater at the pressers, seemingly perplexed as to why we had such a high mortality and attack rate of the virus, when they knew all along".

I'm interested to see today's press conference in light of the latest KBTX reporting... Double down or acknowledgement that information hasn't been as forthcoming as it should have been...
nought
AG
gigem92 said:

... the Brazos County Health District (BCHD) can not release any other information ...
I wish one of our local reporters would call them out on this live in the press conference. HIPAA does not prevent them from publicly stating where clusters are occuring so long as they don't give out a piece of information that would allow an individual to be identified. Saying that there are clusters at Waterford, Sanderson Farms, how large each cluster is, how many deaths are from each cluster (or non-clustered) are all things that fall outside of HIPAA.

They are intentionally withholding vital information from the community.
Rapier108
nought said:

gigem92 said:

... the Brazos County Health District (BCHD) can not release any other information ...
I wish one of our local reporters would call them out on this live in the press conference. HIPAA does not prevent them from publicly stating where clusters are occuring so long as they don't give out a piece of information that would allow an individual to be identified. Saying that there are clusters at Waterford, Sanderson Farms, how large each cluster is, how many deaths are from each cluster (or non-clustered) are all things that fall outside of HIPAA.

They are intentionally withholding vital information from the community.
And there is no excuse for it.

I hate to go tin foil, but the only reason for withholding information I can think of is so they can use the lack of it to do whatever they want in terms of orders/regulations/decrees etc. and when opposed, the response is "we know more than you do."

The local media needs to pull their lips off our elective officials' collective rear end and do their dang jobs for once.
Rexter
Soooo....with today's numbers, the positive rate is running at 6% of those tested. The mortality rate of the positive tests is 10%. Sounds bad, huh?

Put the actual numbers out there:

2262 tested
158 positive
14 deaths

Out of 230,000 residents.

Since the tests aren't widely available, those percentages are inflated.

Rapier108
6% is about normal for positive test results, give or take 1%-3% around the entire country, except for perhaps New York.

Our death rate is higher than average, but that can be attributed to The Waterford.
The Brazos Kid
Dallas County followed Travis County by announcing all residents will be required to wear a mask out in public.

What's the odds that gets announced today for us as well? The local leaders sure like to follow in the footsteps of the big boy counties...
First Page Last Page
Page 6 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.