Brazos County, B/CS Announces Shelter In Place

30,669 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rapier108
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just announced on the Brazos County Health Department press conference.

Sounds like all the usual stuff we've heard countless times before from every other city.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
D_Wag97
AG
sucks
Rapier108
They need a little less of "you're going to die!" in the press conference.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
ShawnTxAg
AG
Shelter in place, not "lockdown" nothing changes.
Average Joe
AG
Not a lockdown. Shelter in place. You can still leave your house, no curfew, and you can go to essential retail as needed.

It is recommended you stay at least 6 feet away from others if you are out and about.
saltydog13
AG
Joy. Now people are going to be even worse about hoarding groceries because they can't comprehend that you aren't stuck at home and can grocery shop like normal
BCSWguru
Lol. What a joke.
91_Aggie
AG
Yeah, I just read through the whole thing.. .sounds like what we've been doing already.

And their list of "essential businesses" is so vague it could almost apply to any business.

But at least now they can arrest/issue citations for the less intelligent folks out there who just don't get it yet.
dgonzo99
What is TAMU staff supposed to do? Is the University going to stay open?
91_Aggie
AG
dgonzo99 said:

What is TAMU staff supposed to do? Is the University going to stay open?

Here you can read it: You can skip down to near top of page 2 and get past all the Whereas'es

http://2o9kb51xfph91b7rki281uu9.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/ShelterInPlace.pdf
toocool
I am very impressed with Dr. Seth Sullivan and the Bryan Mayor. You may think this virus is not that bad, but just wait until you get it.
Rex Racer
AG
This is exactly what my wife and I have been doing since last Tuesday, so we'll be fine.
Rexter
It would be nice if they would stress a few more times DO NOT HOARD FOOD!!
Rapier108
Lock down, quarantine, shelter in place, etc. etc. etc.

The terms are all interchangeable.
Rapier108
Rexter said:

It would be nice if they would stress a few more times DO NOT HOARD FOOD!!
I bet every store in town is swamped as most people think this means everything is closing down for 2 weeks.
TAMU1990
AG
I'm glad I went to HEB this afternoon. Geez.
Cartographer
They finally admit the university is not essential.

Joking. Partially.
TxSquarebody
Auto repair and related facilities listed as "essential"... Looks like I get to keep working. These cars aren't going to restore themselves!
Stupe
S
Rapier108 said:

Lock down, quarantine, shelter in place, etc. etc. etc.

The terms are all interchangeable.
No
They
Are
Not

They are all distinctly different and have varying travel limits and punishments for violations.
Rapier108
We can play semantics all day long, but various entities around the country have used those terms to varying degrees.
KaneIsAble
AG
What a very subjective statement. Did it leave more open than close?
Esteban du Plantier
Cartographer
By my reading yes. Also I didn't read any enforcement info. Did I miss that?
Stupe
S
Rapier108 said:

We can play semantics all day long, but various entities around the country have used those terms to varying degrees.

It's not semantics at all. Not one iota.

They are all distinctly different and people need to have a clear understanding of what each of them mean.

Slamn Sharpe
Rex Racer said:

This is exactly what my wife and I have been doing since last Tuesday, so we'll be fine.

I've left the house once in the last week or so. It was to get all my errands finished at once
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Stupid
BCStalk
So what does this do to people living paycheck to paycheck? Understandably that people should always have a cash cushion, but that's not reality. Can the lower end pay scale employees live without two weeks of pay?
Rapier108
BCStalk said:

So what does this do to people living paycheck to paycheck? Understandably that people should always have a cash cushion, but that's not reality. Can the lower end pay scale employees live without two weeks of pay?
Doesn't matter; our overlords have spoken.

And since the Democrats are trying to pass the biggest porkulus bill ever, nothing going to be coming out of DC for a while.
BCStalk
Yeah I saw the "global warming" stuff. Sad but welcome to the new America.
Slamn Sharpe
BCStalk said:

Ask the Democrats
GSS
Stupe said:

Rapier108 said:

They are all distinctly different and people need to have a clear understanding of what each of them mean.

Was already told by one news-challenged friend "I have to get my grocery shopping done before 9pm Tues"

No, just no. That logic will generate another run on goods Tuesday.
cavscout96
AG
GSS said:

Stupe said:

Rapier108 said:

Was already told by one news-challenged friend "I have to get my grocery shopping done before 9pm Tues"

No, just no. That logic will generate another run on goods Tuesday.
Which is why this order is such a joke. Nothing that was open today will be closed on Wednesday, except maybe the barbershops. Nearly everything is listed or could be easily construed as essential based on their listing,

This literally changes "essentially" nothing, but it WILL cause panic and runs on stores.
Rapier108
Quote:

This literally changes "essentially" nothing, but it WILL cause panic and runs on stores.
And KBTX right now has the mayors of both cities on telling people not to do this, but this order will result in just more panic buying.

And they're using Dallas and Austin as their guide for how to proceed. Dallas has already hinted this might go on for months.

Said that economic matters/considerations don't matter in this decision.

And they just said this will go on for at least a month if not longer so their 14 days was always BS.

When asked if they would go farther and impose a "lock down" on the cities, they dodged the question but just said that if people do not do what they're told, then they'll see where it goes.
annie88
AG
hennyj15 said:

Stupid
annie88
AG
And KBTX right now has the mayors of both cities on telling people not to do this, but this order will result in just more panic buying.

Yep. Many people will be confused by this and think they literally have to stay in their home especially elderly. There was no need to do this they should've just left it as it was.

Yes I understand it basically is as it was but many people are going to confuse this as a quarantine. The Words themselves have just panicked a lot of people in this town.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.