County announced first case of community spread today

2,623 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Stupe
TAMU1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Male in his thirties.
Stupe
S
Here is the link.

Link
FlyRod
Assume its here. Assume you have it. Act accordingly.
AggieBarstool
FlyRod said:

This can't be overstated.
FamousAgg
Assume you have it?

Don't get me wrong I am taking this very seriously but you don't want everyone to stay home assuming they have it. We still need medical staff, police, fire, utilities, food and transport services. Yes keep social distance and wash hands and keep impeccable hygiene, but it's absurd to have everyone assume they have it.

If you have fever, cough, trouble breathing, aches or any of these then you should assume you have it, stay home and isolate.
People with covid-19 don't necessarily have symptoms. Either you might be recently infected and not have symptoms yet or you might be one of the lucky ones who does not ever have symptoms. My doctor advised me to stay home and assume that *everyone* I come in contact with already has covid-19 (even family members). I'm high risk so it is the safest course for me personally. I know that not everyone is immune suppressed but for those of us who are, I've been told to quarantine like my life depends on it.
FamousAgg
I understand assuming that those I come into contact with has it, but if I was to assume I have it, that means I wouldn't go to work. Certain industries shouldn't be shut down.
Stupe
S
AggieBarstool said:

FlyRod said:

Yes, it can.

It's massively over-stated and it's putting a huge strain on Fire / EMS systems and emergency rooms because people are being talked into going by their families.
Rapier108
Stupe said:

AggieBarstool said:

FlyRod said:

Yes, it can.

It's massively over-stated and it's putting a huge strain on Fire / EMS systems and emergency rooms because people are being talked into going by their families.
Just from listening to Broadcastify, the the number of EMS calls for "difficulty breathing/respiratory problems" has gone way up in the last week. Most are not coronavirus, but people with other health issues (asthma, COPD, emphysema, and even drug related) who are panicked that they have it. The majority are elderly.

That said, there was a call last night which they were certain was a case of coronavirus. All of the screening questions (that's done between the 911 call taker and the caller so I have no idea what those are, but I assume it is about symptoms, travel history, possible contacts with known cases, etc) came back as affirmative for coronavirus so they had to take all the precautions for dealing with the virus (such as telling the caller to NOT approach the ambulance when they arrive) and to make sure the hospital knows they are coming, when they'll arrive, and that the person likely has coronavirus.

I'm wondering if the case announced today of the man who had traveled to New Mexico was that call because the age rage and gender match up, or we'll see another one of a man in his 20s in a day or two.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Assume it's here and has been since November
FamousAgg
Do you remember what city or part of the country the call was in?
Rapier108
KorbinDallas said:

Do you remember what city or part of the country the call was in?
I didn't catch the name of the street as I was across the room doing something, but it wasn't an apartment complex because they will say the name of it as well as the address so it had to be a house.

I'll try to pay closer attention next time. Usually I just have it on in the background when I'm wasting time. Hopefully there won't be many more.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
nought
AG
And remember what KidDoc here said as well as multiple local doctors I am friends with have said:

They have had many patients presenting with all symptoms of COVID-19, and who have tested negative for flu, but have been told they are not allowed to test for COVID-19 unless there is a known connection to another case.

This is great at not using up limited test kits, and terrible at protecting the public.
Rapier108
nought said:

And remember what KidDoc here said as well as multiple local doctors I am friends with have said:

They have had many patients presenting with all symptoms of COVID-19, and who have tested negative for flu, but have been told they are not allowed to test for COVID-19 unless there is a known connection to another case.

This is great at not using up limited test kits, and terrible at protecting the public.
Flu tests can easily come back negative when the person does have the flu, so we can assume some of those cases are actually the flu. I've had the flu three years in a row, and every time the test comes back negative, but it was clearly the flu.

But now they can't use the travel/contact only excuse not to test people.
Stupe
S
nought said:

Until we are mass producing test kits, those choices have to be made.

Depending on where a person is, direct contact is still the main reason for exposure in the majority of cases, not community spread.

It sucks, but that's where we are.
Stupe
S
Quote:

But now they can't use the travel/contact only excuse not to test people.

In some areas, they absolutely can. They are phasing that out as a question in metro areas.
tdm89
nought said:

If you have all the symptoms and don't get tested for COVID-19, and the physician order is to go home and quarantine.
Vs.
You have all the symptoms, get tested and test positive, and the physician order is to go home and quarantine.

What's the difference? The test is meaningless if the physician order is the same, and the order will be the same for all mild to moderate cases which is 80+% of the cases. There is no treatment at this time and even if hydroxychloroquine works, the limited supply of HCQ needs to be reserved for cases which have progressed beyond "moderate".
FlyRod
S. Korea just announced it will be exporting 300,000 tests per week. Per WEEK. There is absolutely no reason that we cannot obtain the number of tests we need here.

And it is borderline criminal that we are not.
Stupe
S
Quote:

There is absolutely no reason that we cannot obtain the number of tests we need here.
Limited U.S. production and a worldwide pandemic are two reasons that we are short.

The same reasons that we are short on N95 masks.

You can hate it, but there are definitely reasons.
Stupe
S
Quote:

And it is borderline criminal that we are not.
That I agree with and it's the reason that we need to say "Stick it" to the trade agreements with China and then tell their butt kissing Italians to join them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.