CSISD could take a lesson from BISD

9,393 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by techno-ag
Agmaker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bryan ISD answered the call to keep kids academic progress moving forward during this challenging time. They sent a survey, providing technology to kids without it at home (including facilitated Internet) so they can do graded work assignments. They get an "A."
College Station ISD not moving forward, looking backward. Did not answer the call during challenging times. Sad. They get an "D" They get a D and not an F because at least the sent an email saying there will be no graded assignments.
AggieMom_38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My sense is that some teachers (at least high school level) are also frustrated as they realize the "review" approach ("reinforcement of prior learning") for the next several weeks is a waste of time and the assignments are silly (I actually heard this from one teacher). The sense is CSISD is just going through the motions to maintain receiving state dollars but is not very concerned about continued/new learning.
Tigermom84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes I'm hearing for my high schooler, 2 30 min time blocks of self paced work for each subject for the WEEK? And no new information, only for review? That seems very underwhelming. Thinking about removing her and going to an online school. Any suggestions for online school is welcome. I don't want her to regress in these critical years before college.

The ILT charter school seems to be way ahead of the game too, all kids k-9 have laptops and go live with teacher instruction via Zoom starting Monday. New material, and they don't even need to do staar test prep. That's an extra month of instruction! I don't see how CSISD kids will keep up with them. The plan being to "catch them up" in the fall???
Turf96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That is correct on ILTexas. They have sent out several get set up videos and have been running trial runs this week. Communication from the head guy has been almost daily and during the announcement twice a day via email and voice recordings to both parents cell phones. Conger has done a great deal to stay on top of this difficult time. I know many in our community wanted to see them go under but I'm glad they are here as an option.

Not going to bash other schools at this point but am very happy with way ILT has handled it so far. Very proactive.
CS_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, the International Leadership charter school already distributed Chromebooks to all the younger students who did not already have them. Handled things very efficiently and professionally, and very safely from a health standpoint. Their plans are impressive. Kids will be engaged with their actual teachers on a daily basis, learning new content through Zoom classrooms. Frankly, it is similar to how Texas A&M is handling classes.

Meanwhile CSISD's mismanagement and lack of leadership are embarrassing. I'm hearing CSISD's plan being described as the "Netflix plan." Leave your kids home watching Netflix all day and give them a 30-minute off-the-shelf review once or twice a week through schoology's canned products. Are you serious? Middle school students we know are seeking to transfer to the charter school for the rest of the year so they don't waste two months of learning. For the sake of our community, I hope CSISD can get things together. Kudos to the charter school for its proactive, impressive approach to keeping kids engaged in learning.
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[The OP is stating factual information and giving opinion about those facts. -Staff]
AggieMom_38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just checked with a relative who has an 8th grader at a CSISD Middle School and they have not even heard from any of the teachers (or anyone for that matter beyond the mass email). I'm sure it varies across teachers as some are more engaged than others, but you'd think there would be some district-wide effort to connect with kids/families. Was a wasted week and looks like it will be a wasted rest of the school year.
nthomas99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This isn't a garbage post. It's a legitimate concern. I have three children in CSISD that my wife and I are trying to keep moving forward educationally, all the while carrying on our current jobs remotely. I'm not angry, I'm disheartened that CISD either isn't stepping up to the plate or is holding their cards too close to the vest regarding their long term plans.

Again (as I said on another thread), parents aren't looking for perfection come Monday, but we do expect a lifeline to help the educational needs of our kids. Telling my kids that their teachers will be able for questions via email is just insufficient.

We all know this is going on well past the first of April. If you can't come up with a centralized plan, direct your teachers to start doing something ad-hoc.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tigermom84 said:

Yes I'm hearing for my high schooler, 2 30 min time blocks of self paced work for each subject for the WEEK? And no new information, only for review? That seems very underwhelming. Thinking about removing her and going to an online school. Any suggestions for online school is welcome. I don't want her to regress in these critical years before college.

The ILT charter school seems to be way ahead of the game too, all kids k-9 have laptops and go live with teacher instruction via Zoom starting Monday. New material, and they don't even need to do staar test prep. That's an extra month of instruction! I don't see how CSISD kids will keep up with them. The plan being to "catch them up" in the fall???
I don;t know how to respond to this without sounding flippant or snarky, but here goes:

I know a lot of public and private school teachers. Most of them work their backsides off and truly care about educating your kids. Some of my secondary and tertiary teacher contacts... not so much.

The dedication of these teachers notwithstanding, I think the situation you described above should be a wake up call to many public and private school families, that truly educating you children may not be at the top of their corporate/institutional aims. If it were, you would not see situations like the one described here.

Take it FWIW, YMMV. This is precisely why we've chosen to home school our children.
Tigermom84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You are so right. I think this will be a wake up call to everyone who's kids are in the public and private school world. Can we truly do it ourselves? Do online programs work to accomplish the same level of education that they get in a brick and mortar place?

To your point about teachers: my kids LOVE LOVE LOVE their teachers (most of them, as you say. there are some that can be disengaged and just checking boxes). Yesterday on their Zoom trial run, their teacher was making my kids just CRACK UP laughing. It was hilarious. One of their first comments when we realized they wouldn't be returning was "no fair!! I can't be with my teacher!!". It was so nice to see her connecting with them over Zoom. My high schooler only misses the athletic coach at this point. There's been no mention of missing a classroom teacher.
fcag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have kids in our house in both BISD and CSISD. From the communication we've received, BISD is light years ahead of CSISD.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tigermom84 said:

You are so right. I think this will be a wake up call to everyone who's kids are in the public and private school world. Can we truly do it ourselves? Do online programs work to accomplish the same level of education that they get in a brick and mortar place?

To your point about teachers: my kids LOVE LOVE LOVE their teachers (most of them, as you say. there are some that can be disengaged and just checking boxes). Yesterday on their Zoom trial run, their teacher was making my kids just CRACK UP laughing. It was hilarious. One of their first comments when we realized they wouldn't be returning was "no fair!! I can't be with my teacher!!". It was so nice to see her connecting with them over Zoom. My high schooler only misses the athletic coach at this point. There's been no mention of missing a classroom teacher.
Unequivocally, YES.

Some of the best college students I've worked with are products of home education. They are, generally speaking, more engaged with the instructor, and have a much broader and deeper understanding of the world around them.

Again, I am not throwing stones at teachers. I am, however, very critical of the overall institution and it's inability to produce folks with even a modicum of critical thinking skills.

There are very notable exceptions. There are VERY bright and engaging kids from a "traditional" school setting, but when you look at the "average" product, in a higher ed setting, in MY anecdotal experience, there is a marked difference.
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cavscout96 said:

Tigermom84 said:

You are so right. I think this will be a wake up call to everyone who's kids are in the public and private school world. Can we truly do it ourselves? Do online programs work to accomplish the same level of education that they get in a brick and mortar place?

To your point about teachers: my kids LOVE LOVE LOVE their teachers (most of them, as you say. there are some that can be disengaged and just checking boxes). Yesterday on their Zoom trial run, their teacher was making my kids just CRACK UP laughing. It was hilarious. One of their first comments when we realized they wouldn't be returning was "no fair!! I can't be with my teacher!!". It was so nice to see her connecting with them over Zoom. My high schooler only misses the athletic coach at this point. There's been no mention of missing a classroom teacher.
Unequivocally, YES.

Some of the best college students I've worked with are products of home education. They are, generally speaking, more engaged with the instructor, and have a much broader and deeper understanding of the world around them.

Again, I am not throwing stones at teachers. I am, however, very critical of the overall institution and it's inability to produce folks with even a modicum of critical thinking skills.

There are very notable exceptions. There are VERY bright and engaging kids from a "traditional" school setting, but when you look at the "average" product, in a higher ed setting, in MY anecdotal experience, there is a marked difference.

I find this the exact opposite in terms of group and social interaction within the teaching environment. That said if more parents would be hands on then it wouldn't fall into completely the lap of teachers in a brick and mortar setting.
Fleen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This video from KBTX shows exactly why communication from BISD is light years ahead of CSISD:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/School-leaders-to-parents-Keep-a-routine-stay-connected---568955001.html
TalkNerdy2Me
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Popping in to add that my family's experience with BISD (Bryan Collegiate) has been fantastic! There's daily communication from admin and teachers to say what they've accomplished in terms of planning to go online. Reminders to take care of self and family. I feel synced in and like I know what to expect once instruction resumes.

Moreover, teachers post selfies or memes about how much they miss students and are looking forward to reconnecting.

Campus admin has also provided several opportunities to come to campus and get laptops and supplies needed to finish dual credit classes. Can't say anything yet about the quality of instruction that's coming, but if they're putting as much effort into content as they are into transitioning, I'm sure it'll be successful.

txgardengirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Education is a choice these days - there are homes available in every district and applications available for the Charter school if you wish.

Somehow my experience has been ok - we are only on school day 5 of a Worldwide Pandemic. No-one saw this coming - at least as strong as it has! I think that days will be darker before lighter and my high schooler has had communication and surveys about technology resources and from multiple teachers. Shocker - in CSISD - if you as a parent aren't set up on Schoology or able to see your Childs side you may not see this.

Of course, I'm also not the parent beating down the door and she has online and IRL textbooks for AP classes already.

Perhaps if CSISD didn't have to provide transportation (charter school reference) there would be more funds to send $200 computers home with 800 students. BUT, we have to follow state guidelines for transportation and funding and each district has a LOT more students than that. BISD does have a larger chunk of federal funds at the ready it appears and I think the world of their superintendent - she's great at communication and PR. CS has a brand new Superintendent who I don't think planned to come back from Spring break to this.

The first bit back after a break starts with review always, I don't think we will be left with no new material for months, but I do trust (I know, foreign concept to a lot) that the plans are evolving daily.

AND - please answer calls from 764 numbers if you have kids in CSISD - every family is being reached out to (as we have been) but A LOT of people are not answering.

Stay safe, say a prayer and know that this is all in much bigger hands than any of ours.

Peace, love and learning to all
Fleen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggieMom_38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've now heard from several friends looking to remove their kids from CSISD (these are 7th graders and older) and into an online program or even try and get into Charter. Anyone know how this works; how to start the process?
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
apply for next year...but if you are pulling kids out after one week of a pandemic then i dont know what to say
Wendy 1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CSISD parents shouldn't hit the eject button so quickly. I'm willing to give them next week to see how this learning environment changes. Change has been constant in this unprecedented event.
bcstx06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
halibut sinclair said:

This video from KBTX shows exactly why communication from BISD is light years ahead of CSISD:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/School-leaders-to-parents-Keep-a-routine-stay-connected---568955001.html


To be fair, she did go before him in many of the questions, and his answers were pretty much the same as hers, so he just said "what she said."
waltonag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just to clarify the charter school already receives less funding, because they don't provide transportation. They aren't sitting on a pile of cash. They just choose to spend money differently than government schools.

BISD has been ahead in the technology and program game ( Hammond-Oliver, Tech Academy and Collegiate) for years compared to CSISD ( BISD in the past has received grants for technology due to the socioeconomic make-up of the district). I am sure this has them positioned to be ready sooner than CSISD. I am sure CSISD will have it figured out soon enough.
agrab86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bcstx06 said:

halibut sinclair said:

DThis video from KBTX shows exactly why communication from BISD is light years ahead of CSISD:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/School-leaders-to-parents-Keep-a-routine-stay-connected---568955001.html


To be fair, she did go before him in many of the questions, and his answers were pretty much the same as hers, so he just said "what she said."
That is fair. The anchor should have alternated who responded first so that all the "same here" responses wouldn't have made him look weak. Still, he kind of looked relieved that Whitbeck got first crack at all the questions. Even though this is a new situation for all nvolved, she's been a super for many years while he is technically still an interim waiting for his first super gig to start - and he's got to deal with caronavirus out of the gate?!?
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

cavscout96 said:

Tigermom84 said:

You are so right. I think this will be a wake up call to everyone who's kids are in the public and private school world. Can we truly do it ourselves? Do online programs work to accomplish the same level of education that they get in a brick and mortar place?

To your point about teachers: my kids LOVE LOVE LOVE their teachers (most of them, as you say. there are some that can be disengaged and just checking boxes). Yesterday on their Zoom trial run, their teacher was making my kids just CRACK UP laughing. It was hilarious. One of their first comments when we realized they wouldn't be returning was "no fair!! I can't be with my teacher!!". It was so nice to see her connecting with them over Zoom. My high schooler only misses the athletic coach at this point. There's been no mention of missing a classroom teacher.
Unequivocally, YES.

Some of the best college students I've worked with are products of home education. They are, generally speaking, more engaged with the instructor, and have a much broader and deeper understanding of the world around them.

Again, I am not throwing stones at teachers. I am, however, very critical of the overall institution and it's inability to produce folks with even a modicum of critical thinking skills.

There are very notable exceptions. There are VERY bright and engaging kids from a "traditional" school setting, but when you look at the "average" product, in a higher ed setting, in MY anecdotal experience, there is a marked difference.

I find this the exact opposite in terms of group and social interaction within the teaching environment. That said if more parents would be hands on then it wouldn't fall into completely the lap of teachers in a brick and mortar setting.

What environment are you teaching in? Interesting.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txgardengirl said:

Education is a choice these days - there are homes available in every district and applications available for the Charter school if you wish.

Somehow my experience has been ok - we are only on school day 5 of a Worldwide Pandemic. No-one saw this coming - at least as strong as it has! I think that days will be darker before lighter and my high schooler has had communication and surveys about technology resources and from multiple teachers. Shocker - in CSISD - if you as a parent aren't set up on Schoology or able to see your Childs side you may not see this.

Of course, I'm also not the parent beating down the door and she has online and IRL textbooks for AP classes already.

Perhaps if CSISD didn't have to provide transportation (charter school reference) there would be more funds to send $200 computers home with 800 students. BUT, we have to follow state guidelines for transportation and funding and each district has a LOT more students than that. BISD does have a larger chunk of federal funds at the ready it appears and I think the world of their superintendent - she's great at communication and PR. CS has a brand new Superintendent who I don't think planned to come back from Spring break to this.

The first bit back after a break starts with review always, I don't think we will be left with no new material for months, but I do trust (I know, foreign concept to a lot) that the plans are evolving daily.

AND - please answer calls from 764 numbers if you have kids in CSISD - every family is being reached out to (as we have been) but A LOT of people are not answering.

Stay safe, say a prayer and know that this is all in much bigger hands than any of ours.

Peace, love and learning to all
The bottom line is that crisis action plans should have been in place for multiple disasters that could be scaled up or down appropriately.

It's not like the curriculum and scope and sequence aren't already in existence.
txgardengirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How's that working out for every small business in the area?

Corporate chain restaurants with books of contingency plans?
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Wicked Good Ag said:

apply for next year...but if you are pulling kids out after one week of a pandemic then i dont know what to say

Agreed.

That is the definition of a knee-jerk reaction.
Agmaker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Or the definition of "not wasting a single minute."
AggieMom_38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I simply noted that there seems to be growing interest in other options & asked if anyone could offer direction. Maybe it sounds like a knee jerk reaction, but I think many people are looking to what other districts are doing across the state (including BISD) and then what CSISD is doing (including what administrators and teachers are saying directly to parents in regards to plans moving forward) and determining that this district isn't focused (perhaps not prepared, which is certainly understandable) to handle the situation and continuing high-quality education
BCS-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One of my CSISD 5th grade child's got her hand slapped already for sending out. OPTIONAL digital learning links earlier this week. Zoom is giving out free accounts to EDUs. Let's take advantage of it!
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Non sequitur
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cavscout96 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

cavscout96 said:

Tigermom84 said:

You are so right. I think this will be a wake up call to everyone who's kids are in the public and private school world. Can we truly do it ourselves? Do online programs work to accomplish the same level of education that they get in a brick and mortar place?

To your point about teachers: my kids LOVE LOVE LOVE their teachers (most of them, as you say. there are some that can be disengaged and just checking boxes). Yesterday on their Zoom trial run, their teacher was making my kids just CRACK UP laughing. It was hilarious. One of their first comments when we realized they wouldn't be returning was "no fair!! I can't be with my teacher!!". It was so nice to see her connecting with them over Zoom. My high schooler only misses the athletic coach at this point. There's been no mention of missing a classroom teacher.
Unequivocally, YES.

Some of the best college students I've worked with are products of home education. They are, generally speaking, more engaged with the instructor, and have a much broader and deeper understanding of the world around them.

Again, I am not throwing stones at teachers. I am, however, very critical of the overall institution and it's inability to produce folks with even a modicum of critical thinking skills.

There are very notable exceptions. There are VERY bright and engaging kids from a "traditional" school setting, but when you look at the "average" product, in a higher ed setting, in MY anecdotal experience, there is a marked difference.

I find this the exact opposite in terms of group and social interaction within the teaching environment. That said if more parents would be hands on then it wouldn't fall into completely the lap of teachers in a brick and mortar setting.

What environment are you teaching in? Interesting.
Coach teacher tutor...all in public sector and private sector at various times and sometimes at the same time. I have nothing against home schooling of children. My point was simply that in group/social interaction I have witnessed they are behind the curve.not necessarily academically but rather in other facets of the educational process. I have also maintained that those who do not as parents actively encourage and participate in a child's development in terms of academics also fall behind the curve as well in certain aspects.
nthomas99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
^^^ Yep. If the district is not equipped to handle it, then follow the lead of your neighbor city. And if it's a matter of resources for those kids who don't have access to critical technology, then speak up. Pretty sure this community will show up (virtually at least ) out the wazoos to help kids around us right now.
scs01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have older kids in CSISD and some younger ones in ILTX. We're a little concerned about both--IL seems to have a one-size-fits all model of having all of the kids largely online all day, and CSISD is doing next to nothing. My older kids in CSISD could use a lot more of the ILTX approach, and I'm afraid that my littles in ILTX are going to get too much of a good thing.

Overall, though, I'm impressed that ILTX has taken such a proactive stance and has been so well organized. The teachers for the younger grades made clear that they understood the kids shouldn't be in front of the computer for that long, said they would do their best to make adjustments, and encouraged parents to contact the principal with feedback.

I hope that CSISD gets their act together quickly. I should add that my kids have had very good experiences in the district and I'm generally supportive, and this is in no way a criticism of the teachers. But leadership can do better on this one.
Page 1 of 3
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.