Why the elderly are still going out . . .

6,630 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cavscout96
musicforall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have just argued with my octogenarian parents on why it is important that they do not jaunt off to Walmart for pet food and bananas, it came out that they do not know how to order groceries online. Please check to see if this is true for not only your parents but also any other people you know who may not use the computer for anything other than email and videos. I have now placed an order for them. You do not have to be in the same location, just change the store to their nearest one, and do not forget to change it back before you do your shopping for yourself.
Sq 17
My octogenarian parents think cutting their errands in half is good enough. The concept of zero Errands is unimaginable. They have a gigantic SUV with about a 500 mile range , Filled it up on Sunday when I had to take them to the ER today it is at 1/2 a tank. Needless to say my spouse was not thrilled i was in the ER on Sunday.
dachicken89
AG
Got my parents on the HEB curbside app... but the earliest they could schedule a pickup is March 28. Others were able to get a timeframe, but no products available for them to pick up. They are in Ft Bend, not Brazos. But i think its a common issue of availability and demand throughout..
nthomas99
AG
Lots of these conversations happening right now. I know many are finding their parents not taking it seriously enough yet. Hard talks followed by resourcing them with tools (curbsite pickup, etc) and support (my older nephews made a huge grocery run for my mom yesterday) seems to be doing the trick though.
rc_cat
My mother - almost 80 - refuses to do any transactions/banking/bill pay online. I am waiting to order something she wants from Sams - once it's back in stock. She's content to sit at home though, and I am thankful she knows to take precautions if she does have to go out. Unfortunately she's 600 miles away, so there's not much else I can do to help.
Builder93
AG
My mom went out to Walmart yesterday. My brother and I were not happy. I think some of these folks at this age think, "Well, if my time's up, it's up."
AggieBarstool
It's times like this I'm thankful my (at risk) dad is a social recluse.

Good reminder on curbside pickup. I'll talk to Mom about it tonight.
95_Aggie
AG
well some folks have been pushing this as a hoax for a while now. Not surprised people still aren't convinced of the risk.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
I was at Lowe's this morning. Full of old people, and many just hanging out and talking. One was talking about how he wished he could just go to some secluded place and wait it out...You mean like your house?
PS3D
95_Aggie said:

well some folks have been pushing this as a hoax for a while now. Not surprised people still aren't convinced of the risk.
The "risk" for COVID really isn't much worse than SARS was in terms of contagion and mortality rate, and even during particularly bad flu seasons did the media hype up closing every school and restaurant, and stripping stores bare of essentials.

It's almost as if the media would like to cut consumer spending and create a recession just in time for the election season...nah, that couldn't be it, clearly we MUST horde toilet paper.
Rapier108
Some people are just not going to care or worry about it.

Talked to a WWII vet a few weeks ago. He's in his mid-90s, still in good health for his age, can still drive, and flat out said he is not going to worry about this virus. He fought in the Pacific and later in Korea and pretty much figures that at his age, anything out there could kill him so he is not going to spend what life he has left sitting at home waiting to die from some virus. If I was his age, I'd probably feel the same way.

My parents aren't nearly that old, but I do wish they would take it a little more seriously. Mom is completely oblivious because she thinks its all media hype, and dad is one of those people who never seems to worry about anything at all.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Since there were only 8 confirmed cases of SARS in the US during the 2003 outbreak and no one in the US died from SARS, I think that we have already proven that covid-19 is worse than SARS. I don't even have to get out my calculator to do the math. We are going to have a bigger impact in Bryan-College Station from covid-19 than the entire US had from SARS.
halibut sinclair
Dont challenge Dr. PS3D.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

The "risk" for COVID really isn't much worse than SARS was in terms of contagion and mortality rate, and even during particularly bad flu seasons did the media hype up closing every school and restaurant, and stripping stores bare of essentials.

It's almost as if the media would like to cut consumer spending and create a recession just in time for the election season...nah, that couldn't be it, clearly we MUST horde toilet paper.
What are your infectious disease credentials?

I think I'll trust Dr. Fauci ...
FlyRod
^This. All my public health science friends tell me in no uncertain terms how bad this is. We are going to. Move to knowing people who know people who've died, to knowing people who've died. FWIW I've lost three people I knew...one in Brazil, two in New York. One elderly, two not.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
My parents are thinking they are completely untouchable in this and most of it is just manufactured hysteria. My dad'a cancer patient, and my mom has asthma. Not sure why they wont understand. Its pretty frustrating .
Alte Schule
95_Aggie said:

Who said this was a hoax? Sources please.
TLIAC
AG
Alte Schule said:

95_Aggie said:

I never thought it was a hoax but in the very beginning I thought it was being over exaggerated by the national media. I call it the Chicken Little Effect. I don't trust national media much. However, pretty quickly I started seeing scientific information posted by people I trusted and I changed my mind. Yes you can mark it down - a woman admitting in writing she was wrong.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Alte Schule said:

95_Aggie said:

I think lotsa people are using "hoax" and exaggeration as one in the same. And there is ZERO doubt there were plenty of people pushing the exaggeration narrative and they are even now.
Turf96
Just possibly the media should not lie so much and people would take them seriously. When you cry wolf too much this is what you get.

Maybe also the media should have presented facts about what they know instead of telling people to do things that will affect their lives. This has been handled as shut up Comrades and do what we tell you. Older people don't take kindly to being told what to do. A little info beyond if you don't do as we say you all are going to die may have gotten much different results from a generation that didn't fear war and life in general.
foxfire
Septuagenarian here. Both the wife and I are heeding CDC protocols on this thing. We are both using online banking etc. Not so hard to do to limit travel, minimize runs to store, taking normal PPE precautions. Wife has Zumba classes on Amazon Prime, plenty of open spaces to walk, Amazon is our library... the list goes on.

Now my TP supply is a little lower than my ammo, butt will compensate.
oklaunion
Now my TP supply is a little lower than my ammo, butt will compensate.

Larger caliber rounds are most effective.
ontheedge
Not just older folks. Tried to head to Sam's Club to pick up a prescription for my wife and a long line waiting outside for the opening. Shoulder to shoulder. We left.
Rex Racer
AG
My 84 year old father is still meeting his buddies for coffee at the donut shop every morning. He and his buddies are living life as normal. They are still shaking hands and sitting together at the table. Granted, he lives in a small town that doesn't have any reported cases yet, but I'll bet they will continue even if that happens. They are tough, and they are all ready if it's their time.
musicforall
I wonder if people are thinking this through - I'm old, if I get it, I get it thinking. So when your kids find out you are sick, they have to figure out how to get you to an ER, exposing them and therefore the rest of the family. And if you die, your family will not be able to be with you or see you. You die not being able to breathe, alone. You are just causing your family untold angst. And you won't even get a funeral because no one will be allowed to gather.

Selfish.
cavscout96
AG

Quote:

My 84 year old father is still meeting his buddies for coffee at the donut shop every morning. He and his buddies are living life as normal. They are still shaking hands and sitting together at the table. Granted, he lives in a small town that doesn't have any reported cases yet, but I'll bet they will continue even if that happens. They are tough, and they are all ready if it's their time.
I've been tempted, many times to comment that this is the generation that defeated the Nazis, but sadly, those folks are nearly all gone. Many of these folks did, however, nearly freeze to death at Chosin and/or fight off the horde in the 50's. The 70 y/o's fought in the jungles in Indochina. They've all earned the right to do, pretty much, whatever the heck they want to IMO.
cavscout96
AG
musicforall said:

I wonder if people are thinking this through - I'm old, if I get it, I get it thinking. So when your kids find out you are sick, they have to figure out how to get you to an ER, exposing them and therefore the rest of the family. And if you die, your family will not be able to be with you or see you. You die not being able to breathe, alone. You are just causing your family untold angst. And you won't even get a funeral because no one will be allowed to gather.

Selfish.
Hardly selfish IMO, but you make your own choices. That's my point. This temporal life has always been fragile and temporary. You could also get hit by a bus tomorrow.

-----------------

As an aside, our Bishop is allowing graveside services with family and baptisms, but weddings require his specific approval. His message didn't state, but I assume that, if approved, the attendance would be limited.
Drilltime
Regardless of age we are missing the point that the economic devistation is the bigger issue. We dont bust need to flatten the curve. We need to absolutely end it and get back to work. That will happen as soon as we stop dribbling more new cases into the statistics. If we stay home or keep our distance this will be over in weeks.
woodiewood1
What's amazing to me is that we have A&M dorms full. I would think that having 500 persons per dorm with nowhere to go there will be a tremendous amount of contact going on. Most all came from Houston, Austin, DFW, etc. were there are virus cases. I would not be surprised if we see some cases in the dorms.

bushytailed
AG
woodiewood1 said:

What's amazing to me is that we have A&M dorms full. I would think that having 500 persons per dorm with nowhere to go there will be a tremendous amount of contact going on. Most all came from Houston, Austin, DFW, etc. were there are virus cases. I would not be surprised if we see some cases in the dorms.

Students are not required to return to campus. Most probably won't return. For some, the dorms are their best or only option.

Off campus I can see many students returning. They still have leases and they may want to be closer to campus and friends, rather than staying with mom and dad.
musicforall
https://newsroom.heb.com/h-e-b-launches-community-care-efforts-across-the-state-to-assist-our-most-vulnerable-neighbors/

They made it possible for the elderly to phone in their order! Brilliant! Two great Texas companies.
Rex Racer
AG
woodiewood1 said:

We're only seeing about 5,000 WiFi connections from the dorms. So probably about 1/4 of the on campus population is there. If anyone works in ResLife and has a more exact figure, please chime in.
jopatura
AG
I think part of it is generational. My mom laughed at me and said she lived through Polio. Nothing compares to some of the stuff she saw growing up, especially the child of parents who grew up in the Great Depression. Her whole childhood was fairly miserable and she has no desire to return to that mindset in her 70's.
woodiewood1
Rex Racer said:

woodiewood1 said:

We're only seeing about 5,000 WiFi connections from the dorms. So probably about 1/4 of the on campus population is there. If anyone works in ResLife and has a more exact figure, please chime in.
When I drove around the front of campus cars were parked all along the street with others lined up to get in the parking garage. Many students were walking back and forth from the cars on the curb.
Rex Racer
AG
jopatura said:

I think part of it is generational. My mom laughed at me and said she lived through Polio. Nothing compares to some of the stuff she saw growing up, especially the child of parents who grew up in the Great Depression. Her whole childhood was fairly miserable and she has no desire to return to that mindset in her 70's.
If my grandfather were still alive, he would find all of this ridiculous. He had two older siblings who both died as toddlers. It was quite common back then for kids to die and adults to die young.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.