Local COVID-19 Resources

11,728 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tb9665
Cartographer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shelter in Place is real through April 3.

If you or your network have any verifiable resources regarding testing, treatment options, or any news related to cases in the area please share it here. This is not intended for panic or to spread misinformation.

The goal here is to aggregate useful info into a single thread.

Please share below if you have anything.

CDC Recommendations line up with previous posts:

Long Link to CDC Site

"If you are a resident in a community where there is ongoing spread of COVID-19 and you develop COVID-19 symptoms, call your healthcare provider and tell them about your symptoms. They will decide whether you need to be tested, but keep in mind that there is no treatment for COVID-19 and people who are mildly ill are able to isolate at home."

One Confirmed Case in BCS

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/coronavirus-case-confirmed-in-brazos-county/article_713174f0-6853-11ea-abf9-af32698dc564.html

List of local restaurants that are still open and offering drive through, pick up, and delivery options:

https://www.experiencebcs.com/eat-local/

Link to Shelter in Place Orders
http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/Brazos+County+Shelter+in+Place+Order.pdf
EBrazosAg
AG
Trust the ERs for testing. Don't know about the urgent cares. But I promise your doctors office can't test you any more than you can yourself. And showing up at your doctors office with COVID is a good way to close it down and quarantine the staff, limiting all the other patients access to care.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
momlaw
AG
Don't know this to be a fact, though would expect 211 to be spun up for Brazos referrals, as well as regional.
momlaw
Gunner0740
My understanding is that the ER is not who decides to test/not to test you. They must call the Health Dept. and report your symptoms to them and then the Health Dept. decides whether or not to test you. So that you don't get people and staff at the ER sick, it is probably best that you call you primary care and discuss your symptoms and then they can contact the Health Dept. for you for the testing. No sense in getting everyone in a hospital even sicker than they already are either...
Tailgate88
AG
If you suspect you have the virus please be sure to call ahead wherever you are planning to go and ask for direction one how to proceed my DIL works at a local ER and says they have way too many people showing up that are not that sick. They do have the ability to test but so far nobody has had the symptoms to warrant it.
Post removed:
by user
montegobay
The CDC says to call first or use Telemedicine. This keeps the virus from spreading. And if you test positive, there is no treatment.
AggieBarstool
This. So much THIS.

CALL your local physician or health care provider and ask for guidance cased on symptoms you have. Don't just waltz in to your doctor's office or urgent care / ER.
FlyRod
Thank you for starting this thread, and hopefully it will keep us more informed. Especially important it seems is accurate info on who is and is not offering tests, and evidence of cases occurring in BCS. And yes, the "call ahead" advice is paramount.

I currently use the Physician's Center on University, and hope they have the ability to test soon, if they don't already.
KaneIsAble
AG
Heard a positive case was just identified at a local ER. It was only a matter of time.
techno-ag
AG
KaneIsAble said:

Heard a positive case was just identified at a local ER. It was only a matter of time.
Link?
KaneIsAble
AG
I'm not getting the person in trouble but it was a hospital worker's social media page. Moron. Likely a real stupid thing to do by them but I'll take down my post if that's better.
techno-ag
AG
I don't doubt you just curious if it's been verified yet.
KaneIsAble
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/No-confirmed-COVID-19-cases-in-Brazos-County-some-presumptive-positive--568848061.html

gigem92
AG
There is now a confirmed case in Brazos County

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/coronavirus-case-confirmed-in-brazos-county/article_713174f0-6853-11ea-abf9-af32698dc564.html
KaneIsAble
AG
yep.
annie88
AG
gigem92 said:

There is now a confirmed case in Brazos County

She had recently traveled from Spain and has only been around a few people since her return and they are all self isolating so hopefully there won't be too many more cases. We shall see.
annie88
AG
People please remember if you don't have any symptoms and you don't feel bad please don't get tested just for the hell of it.
FlyRod
In the absence of testing capability, yes. But evidence is rapidly flooding in that countries, and regions that test EVERYONE are slowing and stopping the spread.

We need to get the tests rapidly, and begin drive through testing at the very least.We need to catch the people walking around without symptoms (doubtless a lot) NOW before it spreads further.
Cartographer
Does anyone have any insights into the increase in testing capacity in the local area?

After the press conference on Friday (3/13) my understanding is that the FDA rules that were stopping hospitals and local health departments from creating tests were relaxed.

Does anyone know if we can expect more testing capacity?
Post removed:
by user
Rapier108
If one looks at the testing numbers from Washington, only around 10% comes back positive. It might be up or down a bit since I last checked, but it seemed to fluctuate between 9% and 11% for the last week or so when originally being over 25%, but that was likely because they were testing all the people connected to the nursing home and other hot spots first.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
jeffk
AG
Just throwing this out there: if anyone needs help with grocery or supply runs this weekend, please let me know. We're in Bryan and would be happy to put in a grocery order and pick up and deliver to anyone who needs help locally. Email is in my profile.
EBrazosAg
AG
panduh bear said:

Does anyone have any insights into the increase in testing capacity in the local area?

After the press conference on Friday (3/13) my understanding is that the FDA rules that were stopping hospitals and local health departments from creating tests were relaxed.

There will be a lot of testing availability in a week or so from what I hear. Also, my understanding is that the test are now 90%+ sensitive and 98% specificity which is a big improvement over the initial testing numbers. This country has a lot of good testing labs that can ramp up fast when allowed and motivated. Seems both have come into alignment now. One has to take everything with a grain of salt these days, but this info was from someone with intimate association and knowledge of testing efforts.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FlyRod
Really great news!
Cartographer
http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/Brazos+County+Shelter+in+Place+Order.pdf

Link to the shelter in place order.
AC Hopper
S
Anyone know the ventilator & ICU bed counts in B-CS?
If not, who would know/how do you find out?
KidDoc
AG
EBrazosAg said:

panduh bear said:

There will be a lot of testing availability in a week or so from what I hear. Also, my understanding is that the test are now 90%+ sensitive and 98% specificity which is a big improvement over the initial testing numbers. This country has a lot of good testing labs that can ramp up fast when allowed and motivated. Seems both have come into alignment now. One has to take everything with a grain of salt these days, but this info was from someone with intimate association and knowledge of testing efforts.
Source for 90% sensitivity please I am reading 70% on all my sources.
EBrazosAg
AG
National Med Director of a top 3 EM services company nationally measured by patient visits. So he could be wrong, but has been on this pretty heavy .....
KidDoc
AG
EBrazosAg said:

National Med Director of a top 3 EM services company nationally measured by patient visits. So he could be wrong, but has been on this pretty heavy .....
Thanks I hope that holds up!
KidDoc
AG
Official info re: St Jo's respiratory clinic:

https://www.chistjoseph.org/what-you-need-know-about-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/respiratory-clinic?fbclid=IwAR2M4yOGLG2Oo1r8V5E9owJgbTLm4xB6lnHQIoK4j_U7BQagm66LoLbuI0A

legalbird
any local homemade masks for sale? .from etsy or crafty people?
threecatcorner
Does that mean Bryan Express Care is temporarily closed and the College Station Express Care has regular express care in one room and a respiratory clinic in a different room of the same building?

Was I reading that correctly that everyone goes through the same front door and then people turn to go to the respiratory clinic? Is this talking about any respiratory symptoms, or are they separating possible COVID-19 patients in some way?

I know they normally have masks with a note that you should take one to wear in their office if you've been coughing or think you might have the flu. Is that still the case? Are there any worries that people reaching their hand to grab a mask from the box could be germing up other masks?
JR Ewing
AG
19 new cases reported today...quite a big jump after only 3 the day before...discouraging. I thought maybe people had started taking the social distancing seriously a couple weeks back. It may get pretty nasty locally...thoughts? Did they hit a large pocket of folks they didnt realize or just increased testing? Curious from anybody in the know locally in BCS...
FlyRod
This is going to play out slowly, and painfully...from my public health acquaintances. One of the problems is when things get better (and they will, rest assured), that will happen slowly as well. It may not seem like what we're doing is working, and can seem discouraging seeing others not social distance, but what we do makes a difference. Sadly we're entering the Bad Time now.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.