BISD Classes Cancelled

8,715 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by gibby03
JayMM_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know there was a mention in the A&M thread that it's a lose-lose on these decisions, but why cancel proactively? Is BISD taking into account people who may have travelled out over this week and brought it back to town?
gibby03
AG
Essentially yes. In their statement they cited proximity to A&M and the community is such one big place. Plus they and CSISD usually follow along with what A&M does. It's not surprising.
jeremy
AG
Link?
techno-ag
AG
jeremy said:

Link?
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Bryan-ISD-suspends-class-for-at-least-one-week-following-spring-break-568754181.html
Ajollyag
This is so freaking dumb...

You will contract coronavirus. Deal with it. Take nyquil, get rest, drink water.

Live to see another day.
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
I could be completely wrong, but I figure the worry may be more for older teachers in the schools. The older demographic is the most dangerously effected, IIRC
Builder93
AG
Folks, I suggest you read up on how to effectively slow/stop a pandemic. These are the right choices to make to get ahead of the spread. I'm sorry it's an inconvenience. I'm not jazzed about it myself but it's the right thing to do.

Here's a good article to start with:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca
MiMi
S
Quote:

You will contract coronavirus. Deal with it. Take nyquil, get rest, drink water.

Live to see another day.
I respectfully disagree. We do not need to have a bunch of students and faculty returning from Spring Break, with any number of them unknowingly infected, and sitting in classrooms all day long. Also, there are students, staff, or faculty that may be in a high risk group (for dying from this virus!) or have household members that are high-risk. From a public health perspective, this is the right decision. However, I suspect this decision was made more from a litigation risk mitigation perspective.
techno-ag
AG
Calvert ISD closed too.
MiMi
S
I'm surprised CSISD hasn't made any announcement yet.
nought
AG
MiMi said:

Sadly, with the "leadership" shown in recent years, I'm not surprised.
techno-ag
AG
MiMi said:

KBTX is keeping a running list of closures at the link above. As of now, these are the schools:

Texas A&M University
Classes are canceled March 16-20.
Online classes will resume on March 23.

Blinn College
Most classes will resume online on March 23.

Sam Houston State University

Prairie View A&M

Bryan ISD
Classes canceled March 16-20.

Allen Academy

Calvert ISD
MiMi
S
Thanks techno-ag. I'm well aware and have been refreshing their closure page all evening. I expected CSISD to announce something/anything tonight after both TAMU and BISD announced their plans several hours ago.
91_Aggie
AG
nought said:

MiMi said:

Sadly, with the "leadership" shown in recent years, I'm not surprised.

You are worried about them making an announcement after 5pm on a Thursday??! They have tomorrow to announce a decision. Knowning now as opposed to knowing during business hours tomorrow does not make much of a difference.

nought
AG
91_Aggie said:

You are worried about them making an announcement after 5pm on a Thursday??! They have tomorrow to announce a decision. Knowning now as opposed to knowing during business hours tomorrow does not make much of a difference.

Damn, people just look for silly things to get worked up/outraged over.

No, I'm bothered they didn't make an announcement or decision well before 5pm like many districts all over the state and country did. Parents need time to arrange care. Employers need time to arrange to accomodate parents who cannot find care.

Other districts are making decisions one way or another, like them or not. CSISD? Crickets. "Leadership"
MiMi
S
I agree. It seems like plenty of other school districts and universities were able to decide and disseminate that decision to those affected (even at the end of a work day during Spring Break). But not a word from CSISD.
threecatcorner
CSISD's website and email to parents that they sent today said they are waiting to hear from the Texas commissioner of education.
Stupe
S
ajolly said:

Live to see another day.
This isn't the flu.
techno-ag
AG
threecatcorner said:

CSISD's website and email to parents that they sent today said they are waiting to hear from the Texas commissioner of education.
The Governor is holding a press conference tomorrow.
MiMi
S
Quote:

I received the same email. I doubt other school districts and state universities got their information earlier that CSISD. Why the delay when others had enough time and information to act?
gibby03
AG
Bryan ISD sent literally the same letter that was almost identical. It was essentially a from letter for school districts. It was almost at the same time too.
JP76

techno-ag said:

threecatcorner said:

The Governor is holding a press conference tomorrow.

My guess is he closes all schools statewide for a minimum of 2 weeks. This risk is just to high with so many people who have traveled to high density places over spring break.
nought
AG
JP76 said:

My guess is he closes all schools statewide for a minimum of 2 weeks. This risk is just to high with so many people who have traveled to high density places over spring break.

This is the minimum that should be done. Given the incubation period of COVID-19, a one-week closure is meaningless.
nthomas99
AG
CSISD website has been updated. No school next week.

https://www.csisd.org/departments/health_services/c_o_v_i_d-19___coronavirus__information
techno-ag
AG
techno-ag said:

MiMi said:

KBTX is keeping a running list of closures at the link above. As of now, these are the schools:

Texas A&M University

Blinn College

Prairie View A&M

Bryan ISD

Allen Academy

Calvert ISD
List updated to include Brazos Christian, Brenham & CSISD.

And Huntsville.
waltonag05
AG
ILT- (Charter school) will be closed for two weeks. Online instruction will start on march 23rd.
jeffk
AG
There was a superintendents meeting yesterday with the Texas Ed Commish and then he sent out further instructions and recommendations today after meeting yesterday evening with TEA and the governor. This is why you saw a big round of announcements yesterday followed by another set today. Different district leadership had different concerns or decided to think it over or consult further. The 18 hour difference wasn't very meaningful for a lot of districts - especially those with students out on Spring Break currently.
techno-ag
AG
State tests for April have been canceled, according to a teacher friend.
aggiepaintrain
AG
tech- got a link?
FJB
techno-ag
AG
She said it was an email from her service center. It said TEA is canceling April tests for reading and math grades 5 & 8 and was considering "broadening test windows" whatever that means. More details to come next week.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
woodiewood1
MiMi said:

Quote:

Live to see another day.
I respectfully disagree. We do not need to have a bunch of students and faculty returning from Spring Break, with any number of them unknowingly infected, and sitting in classrooms all day long. Also, there are students, staff, or faculty that may be in a high risk group (for dying from this virus!) or have household members that are high-risk. From a public health perspective, this is the right decision. However, I suspect this decision was made more from a litigation risk mitigation perspective.
You don't need student getting a virus that is a risk to older persons going back and forth from school to homes that many house older parents, grandparents, etc. What they need to do is for the teachers to put together reading assignments and assign reports for the student to do at home. Some may not have computers at home, but I bet most do.

According to the CDC and other medical persons, the best way to stop a spread is to not assemble in groups. Losing two to three weeks of school will not be detrimental to students educational development and life-long successes. Heck, extend school into the summer a a week to make up some of the days.
jeffk
AG
TEA announced today they would be revealing their plan for testing sometime before this coming Thursday. I'm sure most superintendents are urging them to suspend the tests this year.
Stupe
S
techno-ag
AG
techno-ag said:

MiMi said:

Texas A&M University

Blinn College

Prairie View A&M

Bryan ISD

Allen Academy

Calvert ISD

A different page has more up to date closings:

https://www.kbtx.com/weather/closings
nthomas99
AG
I wouldn't be surprised if things get extended past this week quickly.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/education/article/Houston-schools-could-stay-closed-for-rest-of-15133141.php
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.