BISD Classes Cancelled

8,717 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by gibby03
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
nthomas99 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if things get extended past this week quickly.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/education/article/Houston-schools-could-stay-closed-for-rest-of-15133141.php
Might depend on if we get any actual cases around here. The concern in Houston is the 13 or so cases there. We'll see I guess.
nthomas99
AG
Agreed. I heard from a friend (whose not a conspiracy wack job) that BCS received their first tests for the virus Friday, and that we'd be getting results of first tests early this week. So I'd expect we'd know one way or the other in a few days.

I'd be interested if anyone can corroborate (or disprove) this information.
jeffk
AG
jeffk said:

TEA announced today they would be revealing their plan for testing sometime before this coming Thursday. I'm sure most superintendents are urging them to suspend the tests this year.

Announced that the governor is waiving STAAR testing requirements for this school year.

Ed Commish is advising school superintendents to prepare for 8 weeks of non-f2f instruction.
Aggie
AG
Wife is a teacher and received email stating school would be open today during a certain window to come get personal items.
So to us if the plan was to resume next week.. why tell teachers to come get their personal items.

Think this will be extended
gibby03
AG
The original email that went out last Friday said the same thing so that would make sense for this week. However, from what I'm starting to hear and feel, Bryan ISD will be out next week too. Could be totally wrong though. Just a hunch.
Tailgate88
AG
Round Rock and Austin ISDs now closed through 4/3.
BrandoC
AG
Unless someone in the surrounding area catches this stuff, they will start back next week. They are cleaning the schools this week so want teachers to get what they need as they are doing this.
techno-ag
AG
jeffk said:

jeffk said:

TEA announced today they would be revealing their plan for testing sometime before this coming Thursday. I'm sure most superintendents are urging them to suspend the tests this year.

Announced that the governor is waiving STAAR testing requirements for this school year.

Ed Commish is advising school superintendents to prepare for 8 weeks of non-f2f instruction.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Governor-Abbott-waives-STAAR-testing-for-2019-2020-568827911.html
jeffk
AG
Sorry.

This link has a lot more detail than KBTX does.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/16/texas-staar-test-requirements-waived-due-coronavirus-outbreak/
aggiepaintrain
AG
BrandoC said:

Unless someone in the surrounding area catches this stuff, they will start back next week. They are cleaning the schools this week so want teachers to get what they need as they are doing this.

I seriously doubt it
FJB
EBrazosAg
AG
BrandoC said:

That ain't happening. Being closed for the remainder of the school year is more likely.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
techno-ag
AG
jeffk said:

Sorry.

This link has a lot more detail than KBTX does.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/16/texas-staar-test-requirements-waived-due-coronavirus-outbreak/
Thanks, good info.
gibby03
AG

UIL just cancelled all before and after school events and practice through March 29th. This along with the STAAR test being cancelled tells me the Governor, TEA and UIL are taking away most of the reasons to even go back to school anytime soon. In my opinion I'm thinking April 1st as the soonest.
jeffk
AG
Bunch of DFW and Houston area schools extended their closures to April 10th today.
Mathguy64
AG
With cities and counties shutting down restaurants and bars for at least 15 days it will be hard to argue schools should be open starting next Monday.
OnlyANobody
Email just distributed by BISD

Matthew LeBlanc <info@bryanisd.org>
7:12 PM (10 minutes ago)

Dear Bryan ISD Parents/Guardians,
I want to take a moment to update you on what Bryan ISD is doing as we continue to make decisions with the ever-changing situation regarding COVID-19.
While Bryan ISD is closed this week, many district leaders met today and will continue to meet during the week, often through teleconferencing so we are also practicing social distancing.
While we have not yet made a decision on when Bryan ISD will reopen, we will finalize the decision regarding the possibility of an extended closure by mid-week as we remain in contact with the Brazos County Health District, the Texas Department of State Health Services and the Texas Education Agency. We understand the closure of school greatly impacts our families, and we are making all decisions in the best interest of our students and staff.
If Bryan ISD remains closed beyond this week, which appears likely, our Teaching and Learning Department is already working on how to best continue providing instruction while our students are out of the classroom. Further planning with principals and campus leaders will continue this week so that if the closure is prolonged we will ensure our students continue to learn.
In the meantime, there are things you can do. Tomorrow, Tuesday, March 17, 2020, we will send you a list of online educational resources and learning activities you can work on with your children during the week. Many of these programs are routinely used in the classroom and students are very familiar with them, therefore, children should be able to work independently.
Please also take advantage of our free "grab and go lunch" that will be available Monday - Friday while Bryan ISD is closed. You may pick up lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Bryan High School, Long Intermediate, Rayburn Intermediate, and Kemp-Carver Elementary School. Families may choose any of these four locations, but because of federal guidelines, you must have your children with you to receive the "grab and go lunch."
We're also updating our Bryan ISD COVID-19 webpage with new information as we know it. You can access this page anytime at www.bryanisd.org/covid19.
I know these are uncertain times. The health and safety of our community must remain our top priority. Please continue to encourage your children to practice basic health safety like washing hands, coughing or sneezing into a tissue or sleeve, not touching their mouth, nose or eyes, and practicing social distancing.
I'll continue to update you as we have information available, and appreciate your understanding.
Thank you,

Dr. Christie Whitbeck
Bryan ISD Superintendent
gibby03
AG
OnlyANobody said:

Email just distributed by BISD

7:12 PM (10 minutes ago)

I want to take a moment to update you on what Bryan ISD is doing as we continue to make decisions with the ever-changing situation regarding COVID-19.
While Bryan ISD is closed this week, many district leaders met today and will continue to meet during the week, often through teleconferencing so we are also practicing social distancing.
While we have not yet made a decision on when Bryan ISD will reopen, we will finalize the decision regarding the possibility of an extended closure by mid-week as we remain in contact with the Brazos County Health District, the Texas Department of State Health Services and the Texas Education Agency. We understand the closure of school greatly impacts our families, and we are making all decisions in the best interest of our students and staff.
If Bryan ISD remains closed beyond this week, which appears likely, our Teaching and Learning Department is already working on how to best continue providing instruction while our students are out of the classroom. Further planning with principals and campus leaders will continue this week so that if the closure is prolonged we will ensure our students continue to learn.
In the meantime, there are things you can do. Tomorrow, Tuesday, March 17, 2020, we will send you a list of online educational resources and learning activities you can work on with your children during the week. Many of these programs are routinely used in the classroom and students are very familiar with them, therefore, children should be able to work independently.
Please also take advantage of our free "grab and go lunch" that will be available Monday - Friday while Bryan ISD is closed. You may pick up lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Bryan High School, Long Intermediate, Rayburn Intermediate, and Kemp-Carver Elementary School. Families may choose any of these four locations, but because of federal guidelines, you must have your children with you to receive the "grab and go lunch."
We're also updating our Bryan ISD COVID-19 webpage with new information as we know it. You can access this page anytime at www.bryanisd.org/covid19.
I know these are uncertain times. The health and safety of our community must remain our top priority. Please continue to encourage your children to practice basic health safety like washing hands, coughing or sneezing into a tissue or sleeve, not touching their mouth, nose or eyes, and practicing social distancing.
I'll continue to update you as we have information available, and appreciate your understanding.
Thank you,

Dr. Christie Whitbeck
Bryan ISD Superintendent

Code for, it's coming, be prepared in my opinion.
OnlyANobody
I tend to agree. She's not prone to raising alarm, only to walk it back, later....
fcag
AG
Just got a call from BISD. Classes closed through April 3.
OnlyANobody
1:04 PM (1 minute ago)

With the best interest of our students, staff, and community in mind, Bryan ISD will remain closed until April 3, 2020.
This decision comes after consultation with the Brazos County Health Department, following the first identified case of COVID-19 locally. We know this decision will greatly impact our families, but please know we are taking action based on guidance from our local and state health leaders with the shared goal of community health safety.
  • While our buildings are closed, this does not mean education is coming to a halt. Within the next few days, Bryan ISD will share information on how we will continue to educate our students at home. There are a lot of moving pieces to make this happen, but we are already working on the best strategy so all of our students continue to receive instruction.
  • Also, our free "grab and go lunch" will continue Monday - Friday while Bryan ISD is closed. You may continue to pick up lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Bryan High School, Long Intermediate, Rayburn Intermediate, and Kemp-Carver Elementary School. Families may choose any of these four locations, but because of federal guidelines, you must have your children with you to receive the "grab and go lunch." We are working on expanding locations, but are awaiting Texas Department of Agriculture approval.
  • Please continue to refer to our Bryan ISD COVID-19 update page, www.bryanisd.org/covid19 for updated information including a list of sites for learning, games, and activities for students that will be uploaded later today.
One of our greatest strengths is our community. Together, we will get through this new and ever-changing challenge. While much remains in motion right now, we will continue working diligently to make decisions in the best interest of our students, staff, and community, and we will keep you updated every step of the way.
Thank you for your support during this time.

Dr. Christie Whitbeck
Bryan ISD Superintendent
Aggie
AG
CSISD closed till April 3 as well

Imagine All the private schools will follow
OnlyANobody
BISD distributed via text and email, a Technology Survey to assess students' access to internet and to computers with connectivity to the internet.
OnlyANobody
My son, a sophomore at Bryan High is starting to get emails from teachers giving assignments on various websites. (Google Classroom, Quill, Readworks)
gibby03
AG
March 20th Update

This quote below makes me think they are about to be extended. This paragraph lends me to believe in speaking with County officials they think this thing will ramp up here causing us to stay out longer. Just my thought.

Quote:

Right now, Bryan ISD is still planning to resume classes on April 6. However, with the number of COVID-19 cases still rising in Brazos County and in Texas, this is very tentative. The reality is this societal shut-down may stretch on longer. If that happens, we are preparing to continue educating our students so they receive ongoing instruction and do not fall behind.
gibby03
AG
New update. Bryan ISD extends its closure to April 10th due to the Shelter in Place set through April 6th by Brazos County.

March 23rd Uodate
techno-ag
AG
Not much of the semester left after that.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
gibby03
AG
I think school, at least around here, is done for the year. With the climbing numbers of cases, albeit kind of slow, I just don't see a point where someone says "hey let's go back and finish this".

Like I've said before now that testing has been waved, AP exams waved, UIL essentially halted, there's not much to go back to.

The biggest deal right now is the moment where parents will start going back to work and have no where to put their kids, especially those people who didn't already have their kids in a daycare before this all started. That's going to be a heck of a problem. Already is for some.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.