Bryan DMV Wait Times?

4,516 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 91_Aggie
meezermom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gotta do that thing nobody wants to, get the license renewed. Has anyone been in Bryan lately? We're looking to do it over Spring Break since we're off work. My parents did it in Hempstead instead of Houston and it took over 4 hours ... so I'm not thinking this is going to go well.
trouble
AG
Last time I did mine there, i signed up for an appt online. I was in the building less than 30 minutes.
BluHorseShu
AG
meezermom said:

Gotta do that thing nobody wants to, get the license renewed. Has anyone been in Bryan lately? We're looking to do it over Spring Break since we're off work. My parents did it in Hempstead instead of Houston and it took over 4 hours ... so I'm not thinking this is going to go well.
No, not its probably not. I waited 4 hours at Bryan DPS to get sons license. I also waited 3 hours to get mine renewed. Both times we tried using their scheduling system.
However, you may get lucky. We ended up going to the Brenham DPS.

Good luck!
redd38
AG
I went first thing in the morning, was there before the doors opened (wasn't first one there though). Was out in maybe 15-20 minutes.
bushytailed
AG
I drove to Hearne for mine. No wait.
Tailgate88
AG
Be there 30 minutes before they open and you'll be one of the first in line. Have done this three times in the past couple years.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
DPS online check in. Worth the click.
histag10
AG
Get there 30 minutes before they open. In and out quickly
91_Aggie
AG
Just do the online appointment thing. sheesh.. people have given the answer.. and we still get people complaining about waiting for hours or saying to get there 30 minutes early and wait 30 minutes.

make an appointment online!
histag10
AG
91_Aggie said:

Just do the online appointment thing. sheesh.. people have given the answer.. and we still get people complaining about waiting for hours or saying to get there 30 minutes early and wait 30 minutes.

The issue is that the appointment thing doesnt always work.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Mr.Short-termMemory said:

DPS online check in. Worth the click.
Make sure you have all the required documentation and then use online check in. I had to renew mine in April and was in and out in 35 minutes one afternoon.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Went on my lunch break last time. Took 15 minutes.
EvenPar
AG
Heads up - You will need passport or birth certificate to renew.
Stupe
S
Tailgate88 said:

Be there 30 minutes before they open and you'll be one of the first in line. Have done this three times in the past couple years.
Yep. We got there an hour early to get my son's license and we were out the door and leaving 20 minutes after they opened.

Early bird.
chickencoupe16
AG
On the other hand, I showed up with less than 5 minutes until closing to renew my license. I had only written my name and birth date on the paper when I was called.
91_Aggie
AG
Stupe said:

Tailgate88 said:

Yep. We got there an hour early to get my son's license and we were out the door and leaving 20 minutes after they opened.

Early bird.
So you waited an 1 hour and 20 minutes.???
armymom
I went a few weeks ago. Veryt easy with online appointment. But you need make the appointment online 1st thing in the morning to get the time you would like. Wait til later and you won't get one that day. I was in office a total of 20 min.
medic1969p
91_Aggie said:

It doesn't always work. I tried 3 times in Feb and it didn't let me. I finally bit the bullet and went in, waited four hours to renew mine
Nutmegger
AG
Last time I went 10 minutes before closing and there was no wait.
milner79
Also, make sure you know how to navigate their lack-of-easy-access address. It is in a most awkward place on the west side of Highway 6 bypass.
Stupe
S
91_Aggie said:

Stupe said:

Tailgate88 said:

Early bird.
So you waited an 1 hour and 20 minutes.???
Yes. As opposed to the parents and kids that sat in there most of the morning and / or afternoon....I was fine with that. We had other stuff to do and I didn't want to be stuck inside that building during the productive part of the day.
Koko Chingo
AG
Caldwell has a DPS office open on Tuesdays & Thursdays only. It is nice if you already need to head that way. Get there first thing because they get tied up with driving tests and it is a small office.
goatchze
AG
Did mine a few weeks ago. Booked appointment online. Got there 15 minutes before appointment. Got called at appointment time. Done in another 10 minutes.

About 30 minutes total time.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Today:

Got an appointment online at 8:02am for 2:06pm....got there 10 mins late.
Waited approximately 60 seconds and was called back in front of 100 or so people for a new DL.

I call that a win.
FJB
TxFig
AG
I went a couple of weeks ago about 2:00 in the afternoon.

No appointment.

In and out in 30 minutes.
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
Sleepnumber
AG
TxFig said:

I went a couple of weeks ago about 2:00 in the afternoon.

No appointment.

In and out in 30 minutes.
What day of the week?
TxSquarebody
Pro tip: Drive an extra 20 minutes to Hearne on Friday about 11am and be back home before you could have checked in at Bryan.
Post removed:
by user
Stupe
S
A&M students aren't what clog that up, it's high school students when school is out.

Christmas break was brutal trying to get an appointment time in Bryan because the site kept timing out. And when we called smaller towns like Hempstead, they had a three hour wait. That's why we showed up before they opened.

If a person can get in on an appointment time online, that's by far the best way to do it.
91_Aggie
AG
So i needed an answer to a question about VOE form for my daughter.
I called our local number and everything was auto-attendant with lots of choice and had to dig deep into to get to the "I want to talk to a person".
when I found that option i was transferred to Austin Central Call Center.
Then another maze of auto-attendant until I get to a "I want to talk to a person"
press that button and I get "Due to high call volume, you can't talk to a person... send an email"

Freaking Government run "businesses" are the absolute worst.
Agmaker
In this post example Government run "businesses" are also schools, ISDs and Universities.
FlyRod
Does anyone have any...ANY information as to whether they will waive the "renew license in person" requirement? I am not looking forward to showing up the DMV in a hazmat suit.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Does anyone have any...ANY information as to whether they will waive the "renew license in person" requirement? I am not looking forward to showing up the DMV in a hazmat suit.
Gov. Abbott orders DPS to shut down driver's license offices
txyaloo
AG
91_Aggie said:

So i needed an answer to a question about VOE form for my daughter.
I called our local number and everything was auto-attendant with lots of choice and had to dig deep into to get to the "I want to talk to a person".
when I found that option i was transferred to Austin Central Call Center.
Then another maze of auto-attendant until I get to a "I want to talk to a person"
press that button and I get "Due to high call volume, you can't talk to a person... send an email"

Freaking Government run "businesses" are the absolute worst.

Most IVR systems are set to transfer you to a person if you press 0 enough times. Cuts through all of the BS menus when you know you need to talk to someone.
Vulcan
I realize the license offices are closed per Gov Abbott, but...I went to schedule a future driving test online for Bryan and it would only go to Brenham or other choices like Hempstead, Madisonville, etc. Anyone know why you cannot schedule for Bryan?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.