Land Values - NE of Brenham (and need atty recommendation)

1,703 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cavscout96
WildcatterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a friend that has a piece of property ~5 miles northeast of Brenham (about 1 mile north of 105). He was wanting some feedback on values. Any idea on what raw land is going for in that area? The central appraisal district value is $14,000/acre but that seems too high (typical CAD values are low).

This tract is ~30 acres.

Additionally, there may be an easement issue. Any real estate attorney recommendations in Brenham?

Any help is appreciated!
cavscout96
AG
does it have any services?

well
electric
road

14k is about the going rate right now in the more rural parts of the county. If he is closer to Brenham proper, 14k might be on the lower side (if it has any sort of improvements.)
WildcatterAg
AG
Thanks, cavs.

I think the property is very undeveloped and raw. In fact, I do not think it has any of the infrastructure you mentioned but I do not see any reason why these could not be setup.

Appreciate the feedback on pricing.
CaptTex
AG
Me and my dad talk about this quiet a bit, land prices to me are absolutely outrageous. I get it supply and demand, if someone is willing to pay that then the market will support that behavior. But 14k for dirt? No improvements of any kind and I have to spend all the money to install everything necessary to use the dirt? Beyond unacceptable in my opinion, but I'm probably a pessimist. And this is in no way attacking your response I just wanna scream at people sometimes for spending god awful amounts of money, before they have to spend even more god awful amounts of money on improvements.
whitespikes06
AG
As mentioned above, 14k per acre for 30 acres probably isn't that bad depending on surroundings. I'm in between 50 and 36 about 10 miles north of town and a place of ~40 acres sold recently at almost 20k per acre. No improvements and needed to be re fenced.

For an attorney, call Catherine Kenjura. She may be able to help.
EBrazosAg
AG
It always depends ..... but since land 10 mi from BCS goes for 20k an acre in 50 ac tranches out of the flood plain it doesn't seem high. But again it all depends.....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rick Burns
AG
There's some land out there going for a lot, lot more. Depending on where it is and other factors.
CS78
14k is not overpriced for bare land. A lot of improvements are of personal opinion. Many buyers, retiring from the cities are looking for a clean slate to set up their dream property.
techno-ag
AG
Washington County is really beautiful, a lot prettier than Brazos. Not surprised land values are high over there.
halibut sinclair
Fascinating insight.
BrandoC
AG
$14,000 an acre is absolutely nuts, especially for 30 acres if its not being sold for commercial.
cavscout96
AG
BrandoC said:

$14,000 an acre is absolutely nuts, especially for 30 acres if its not being sold for commercial.
lots of weekend home for folks out of Houston. 14K is the going rate. Look for 30 acres near CS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.