Cat and DPF filter theft

2,186 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by saltydog13
CaptTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I read on KBTX that there has been a string of 12 thefts between Cstat and Bryan involving catalytic converters. On one of our trucks, we had the pipe behind the DPF filter sawed clean through and they couldnt cut through the front or were just rookies and thats the only reason that saved us. Anyone have any ideas as to how to combat this? KBTX said to weld it to the frame, but I'm hesitant to weld on hardened steel and VIN number sounds fine but they still got it and we have to pay $1000.00 deductible due to commercial insurance, we kinda cant win on this front.
Puppyburger
The same thing happened to my Prius about 3 weeks back, the car was having electrical issues and wasn't starting so we had to leave it at the altitude trampoline park parking lot overnight. When we went back and found out the problem was just the transponder on the key and replaced the battery And started it up it literally sounds like a hot rod.

Still haven't got it fixed yet since it's so expensive.

Really can't believe someone was able to jack up the car and cut the exhaust of in the Walmart/altitude parking lot
saltydog13
AG
Straight pipe and there's nothing for them to steal
techno-ag
AG
CaptTex said:

I read on KBTX that there has been a string of 12 thefts between Cstat and Bryan involving catalytic converters.
Headline: Cats in CStat Scat.
WheelinAg
AG
KBTX said to weld it to your frame? Kind of a moot point since they're probably under there with a grinder or reciprocating saw anyways. I guess the more they have to do, the more they'll move on to someone else's vehicle... Also, exhaust systems are isolated from the frame for a reason.
CaptTex
AG
That's also a reason. They gotta move and flex while you're running. I think KBTX took that from law enforcement, I mean these guys probably came out of Houston, so slim chance they catch anyone. Had a friend suggest bean bag rounds, and indeed those things look rough to take to the chest but non lethal.
CaptTex
AG
I'd love to, but unfortunately were under warranty and DOT is cracking down. Not to mention we are an environmentally friendly company
halibut sinclair
CStat
Builder93
AG
With cordless grinders readily available, the only way to fight theft is technology. I can get through a stout padlock in 10 seconds with a cutoff wheel on my grinder. Aftermarket car alarms are the way to go.
saltydog13
AG
CaptTex said:

I'd love to, but unfortunately were under warranty and DOT is cracking down. Not to mention we are an environmentally friendly company

Better fuel mileage from a delete = environmentally friendly
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.