Gas Prices in Aggieland

4,791 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jh88ag
ro828
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What happened? Gas prices skyrocketed in the last few days. A few days ago it was common to find gas under $2. Today it was $2.09 at HEB and Walmart in College Station.
jja79
AG
WTI was below $50 ten days ago. Closed at $52.88 yesterday.
australopithecus robustus
It got up to $4/gallon back in 08/09 and brought the economy to its knees by disallowing discretionary spending. I'd say we're fine
CS78
When did my elderly father join texags?
Lol 12 years ago I was 27. I'll accept knocking on middle aged...
CS78
Was referring to OP. My dad knows the current price at every station in town.

I agree completely with your post.
Haha I got sensitive quickly didn't I??!!??
hopeandrealchange
Just imagine what the prices will do if one of the liberal pukes that supports stopping fracking gets elected.
SECeded
Donny Hall
https://www.kagstv.com/gas-prices
Bunk Moreland
australopithecus robustus said:

It got up to $4/gallon back in 08/09 and brought the economy to its knees by disallowing discretionary spending. I'd say we're fine

Except for the bros who worked in the oil fields and their Junk Gypsy trophy wives who were buying badass wakeboard boats. Unfortunately they were caught off guard when prices dropped and they hadn't saved up.
techno-ag
AG
Corona virus is current catch-all boogeyman.
CS78
"Oil field honey spending oil field money"

Followed by facebook post "please pray for our family, we don't know how we're going to make it".
TJJackson
I work in Odessa, and currently gas is the cheapest I've seen since I've been out here and I've been out here a year. Gas is currently 2.17 at the Stripes I stop at.

Everytime I'd come home and be jealous of the cheap gas.
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.

-Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
Exactly. A micro economy disproportionately tilted towards one industry that caused other segments to suffer. So glad it back in parity so that people have money to spend on other things besides fuel!!
KaneIsAble
AG
$2.50 gas keeps everything balanced. $3.50 is likely too lopsided and below $2 is where the layoffs occur. It's already happening but not on a massive scale (yet).
SARATOGA
NEVER PAY FOR GAS AGAIN - CLICK HERE !

tb9665
Also, cheaper electricity.
Bullpen Chias
AG
These are the moments in life where I feel really successful - not sweating paying an extra $2.30 for a tank of gas this week.
GSS
jja79 said:

WTI was below $50 ten days ago. Closed at $52.88 yesterday.
And now WTI is at $44....lower than when local pump prices were at $1.90/gallon. Hmmm.....
Post removed:
by user
saltydog13
AG
dgonzo99
Slocum on a mobile said:

Energy traders manipulate the market. The jokers that caused the Enron debacle? They just moved to different companies.
Plus, this is a college town. Our prices are usually higher than other areas. The same with the prices at the Mall here. I used to go to Houston to do the major shopping. I checked the prices here first on the items I wanted. Then I went to Houston. I saved over 125 dollars one time. I bought a lot that time for me, birthdays, etc. And no, the items weren't on sale there. Regular price. But still, I usually saved around 50 dollars even with paying for the gas to go to Houston.
GSS
Tough times ahead for the oil business--- West Texas crude drops to near $30/barrel!!
Oil prices plummet...

We like good prices at the pump, but the ripple effect from this could be profound.

For reference, crude prices in 2013-14 were around $100/barrel.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Bob2525
Went to get gas at an Exxon Saturday. Regular $2.04, not bad. My truck requires mid grade. $2.84. Premium was $3something. What the F happened to the 10 cents difference between the grades?
FYI. Cancelled the pump and went down the street to Kroger... $2.24. I don't like being price gouged.
techno-ag
AG
1.96 at Sam's yesterday after church.
halibut sinclair
Praise the Lord and Sam Walton
GSS
HEB in Bryan is $1.95/gal, and you don't have to buy a membership to purchase....
NRA Life
TSRA Life
tonytx05
AG
dgonzo99 said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

Energy traders manipulate the market. The jokers that caused the Enron debacle? They just moved to different companies.
Plus, this is a college town. Our prices are usually higher than other areas. The same with the prices at the Mall here. I used to go to Houston to do the major shopping. I checked the prices here first on the items I wanted. Then I went to Houston. I saved over 125 dollars one time. I bought a lot that time for me, birthdays, etc. And no, the items weren't on sale there. Regular price. But still, I usually saved around 50 dollars even with paying for the gas to go to Houston.
Using the current IRS mileage rate of 57.5 cents/mile, a trip to the Galleria and back to College Station would be about $107. Not to mention whatever your time is worth for the 3+ hours spent driving. Seems like a wash to me.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Bob2525 said:

Went to get gas at an Exxon Saturday. Regular $2.04, not bad. My truck requires mid grade. $2.84. Premium was $3something. What the F happened to the 10 cents difference between the grades?
FYI. Cancelled the pump and went down the street to Kroger... $2.24. I don't like being price gouged.
I don't think you understand what this term means...
Bob2525
AggieBaseball06 said:

Bob2525 said:

I don't think you understand what this term means...
Price gouging is a term referring to when a seller increases the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent. Usually this event occurs after a demand or supply shock.
To cut a long story short: new average between regular and mid is about .20-.30 cents/gallon. .80 cents is a little high. Took business elsewhere. Did the same during tropical storm conditions a few years back at other gas stations that were confirmed price gouging by official entities. No, I don't have a source to quote. If curious, google. Yes, I understand what this term means. Also, ranting, it seems to be the popular thing to do now.
Oogway
So, if one has enough fuel points on their Kroger card and gas prices dip a little lower, does Kroger pay the customer for a fill-up? Asking for a friend.

j/k
While lower gas prices are consumer friendly for some, they are not so much for others. Here's to hoping everyone can find that happy medium.
jh88ag
AG
On the subject of gas prices and "gouging"...I understand why some locations have a lower price for cash vs credit. Presumably it is to cover the card processing fees, which could be as high as 3% for a very low volume processor. Probably closer to 2% for most. But I was at a place in Houston over the weekend that had a 10% markup for credit vs cash. $2.04 cash and $2.24 credit. That's probably not considered gouging, but I'd definitely consider it unreasonable. Rant over.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Shorty said:

On the subject of gas prices and "gouging"...I understand why some locations have a lower price for cash vs credit. Presumably it is to cover the card processing fees, which could be as high as 3% for a very low volume processor. Probably closer to 2% for most. But I was at a place in Houston over the weekend that had a 10% markup for credit vs cash. $2.04 cash and $2.24 credit. That's probably not considered gouging, but I'd definitely consider it unreasonable. Rant over.

I assume you didn't purchase your gas there, correct?
jh88ag
AG
I did not...but I was about to when I realized the situation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.