Rural Internet/TV Streaming/South BCS

2,450 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFLORIDAAG
99StationAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sure the topic has been beat up, but any advice would be greatly appreciated! We bought 10 acres in a outh College Station, past Lick Creek and before Peach Creek. We are moving out there to a small re-done temp. house, then potential building out there long term.

That said, I work outta the house, and must have basic internet. Therefore needs are:
-quality internet for email, and general web services
-Netflix streaming for Family
-YouTube TV for television

Don't mind paying higher price monthly for higher end equipment and service, but trying to avoid a $5,500 tower (which we were quoted), then additional cost on top of that monthly.

Not trying to launch a rocket, just general 2020 internet service at a reasonable price. Located off Dusty Rd. 77845 for what it's worth.

TIA!

WB '99
No Bat Soup For You
AG
If you can get Brazos Wifi go with them.
99StationAG
AG
Thanks Henny! Will give them a shout tomorrow to set up a time to run a test.

Open to other input/suggestions.

TIA!

WB '99
AgProgrammer
AG
Jim will probably jump in eventually but I'll give my two cents being a rural user of Brazos Wifi.

We have Brazos Wifi and they run a very good operation. I can't recommend them highly enough. If you can get them, you won't be disappointed...especially considering what rural internet prices/speeds typically are. Most folks just look at the package speeds offered but a reliable and consistent internet connection is much more than just speed. Brazos Wifi has very low pings, doesn't oversubscribe their towers (so you don't ever see slowdowns during the busy evening hours) and outages are very few and far between. When they do happen, it's usually a freak wind or lightning storm that takes out equipment and when that happens, they are immediately on top of getting it fixed. The combination of keeping low pings and not oversubscribing their towers makes your internet feel no different than a 200Mbit connection from Suddenlink. Pages load fast and without any delay. Jim and crew are top notch.

Looking at Dusty road, I'm not sure if you are within normal coverage of Brazos Wifi...it's definitely still worth an ask though. CEO Etc. is actually showing a tower by Lick Creek park on Rock Prairie, so actually really close to you. However, it looks like everything on/around Dusty Rd. is heavy trees. Trees and wireless providers don't mix. If you have trees right around your house, they essentially have to get above them or far enough away from them to get a non obstructed line of sight view to their tower. In order to ensure a reliable product, Brazos Wifi does not just throw up an antenna knowing it's got a weak signal and is going to be riddled with problems. From other reviews here on this board, CEO has mixed reviews with their wireless product. I think it's typically a bit slower and has some reports of slower speeds during peak times, but I'm sure that's different for each of their towers and if they are installing with a less than ideal situation (partial trees in the way). I would also not be scared of building a tower. Think of it as another part of your house construction cost...no different than a driveway or fence. It'll be something that you own outright and can be used by whoever can get service to you. If you can get above the trees, your service will be much, much more reliable.

Edit to add Brazos Wifi and CEO's coverage maps.
http://brazoswifi.com/wireless-internet/wireless-coverage-area/
https://ceoetc.com/high-speed-internet/
techno-ag
AG
Brazos WiFi or a cellular unlimited data plan are probably your best options.
SARATOGA
I'm in a similar situation. Verizon is ok. We can stream a little.

But I'm waiting on Starlink from Space X

99StationAG
AG
I looked at the Brazos WiFi map and we are literally in between two of the serviceable spots. I'm hoping some of that "green smoke" has magically floated our way by now, so will certainly be checking in with them.

Yes, the beautiful, tall trees are a double-edge sword when it comes to WIFI.

To be fair, we've lived in Saddle Creek and been serviced by CEO for many years, and I have nothing but great things to say about their services and quality. I gave them the first shot, and they quoted us on a quality tower, as to not just "throw something up", and I respect that, just looking at all options.

Thanks for the insight AgProgrammer!
histag10
AG
We are north of Bryan and use Rise, and havent had problems. Dont know if they are available out that way.
BrazosWifi
Howdy!

Dusty Rd. Has some significant trees but I think a 50ft tower would likely clear them. With that, we have line of sight to two of our towers.

Both of the towers that you should hit are fed by Licensed links to ensure no slowdowns.

I would imagine CEO needed a LOT more height to reach that area so their tower quote is much higher than what a 50ft tower runs.

Give us a call Monday and we can get things rolling for a site survey.

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
99StationAG
AG
Thanks Jim! Called your office today and already got the ball rolling. Following the "next step" and will be in touch again Monday.

Appreciate the follow up!

WB '99
lockett93
AG
How is the cell phone coverage? You could get a SIM card for an iPad Pro and put it into a cradlepoint router for $20/month unlimited data (subject to throttling after 13GB on ATT)
tfunk02
AG
lockett93 said:

How is the cell phone coverage? You could get a SIM card for an iPad Pro and put it into a cradlepoint router for $20/month unlimited data (subject to throttling after 13GB on ATT)
This plan ended on February 12th 2020... RIP!

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gear/att-dataconnect-tablet/
99StationAG
AG
It's decent, but not great. I receive and send calls and texts, but off the top of my head, couldn't tell you exactly how many bars, etc.

Is there an "exact" level needed to make that work? We do have ATT.

It's funny cause the property is about 3 miles from the Lick Creek neighborhood and Williams Creek, but it's like it's 100 miles when it comes to certain things. I guess that's what we were looking for though!
labmansid
Since you already have AT&T cell service, you could test your download speeds on your phone. If speed is sufficient, you could try an AT&T based unlimited plan from OTR. Details on this in this thread.
BrazosWifi
labmansid said:

Since you already have AT&T cell service, you could test your download speeds on your phone. If speed is sufficient, you could try an AT&T based unlimited plan from OTR. Details on this in this thread.

ATT seems to have closed the loophole that the folks like OTR were using.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
lockett93
AG
I think you can still add a tablet to an existing cell phone unlimited data plan for $20/month. Then put the sim into a cradlepoint router or another device like that...
tfunk02
AG
BrazosWifi said:

labmansid said:

ATT seems to have closed the loophole that the folks like OTR were using.
This is not true... YET.

OTR is having what I guess is growing pains adding new customers, and AT&T is stopping new customers from getting on the cheap unlimited tablet plan, but there are plenty of ways to still get unlimited AT&T based service for around $50/month. Just check out the last page on the OTR thread. There are links to a bunch of different services.
jeep
AG
I'm in Tuscany Trace in south CS, called Brazos Wifi and was told me they couldn't help me.
SFLORIDAAG
AG
I live right next you. Brazos WiFi with a 50' tower. Great service and solid signal. I was concerned as I work from home as well. No worries now.

Way less outages than sudden link
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.