College Station airport

6,450 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by EBrazosAg
Morpholino
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody else feel that the pat downs are a bit more, should I say, vigorous than other airports? I've flown out of quite a few and never have my junk jossled and patted down like I do at CLL. Or is it just me? Lol

Also had one of the bag checkers tell me exactly what I had in my packed sandwich. Which was weird lol.
Morpholino
AG
Everyone that works there is real nice though.
redd38
AG
Good to hear they're doing their jobs. Probably lots of Chinese spies flying in and out of here.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Try to enjoy it. Some places charge extra that kind of attention.
Morpholino
AG
Ha!
Post removed:
by user
Sleepnumber
AG
Morpholino said:

Anybody else feel that the pat downs are a bit more, should I say, vigorous than other airports? I've flown out of quite a few and never have my junk jossled and patted down like I do at CLL. Or is it just me? Lol

Also had one of the bag checkers tell me exactly what I had in my packed sandwich. Which was weird lol.
I really think they have too much time on their hands; and then they overdo it. I have the same thought. Being thorough and being"aggressive' are two different things.
Sleepnumber
AG
PS: The Chinese spy remark is a good one!
BCSWguru
true story. have never seen anyone get airport molested so much.
AggieBarstool
We complain when the TSA isn't doing their job.
We complain when the TSA does do their job.
I think we just like to complain.
EMY92
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Even when TSA is "doing their job", they let over 90% of prohibited items get through.

I don't see how fondling children, the elderly, and handicapped is making the public safer. If they were like the Israelis and used profiling and behavioral analysis, then it would be different.

I for one wish I could fly without having to go through the pat downs every time I fly because I wear an insulin pump.
MisterShipWreck
AggieBarstool said:

EliteElectric
I have flown in and out of airports all over the country from O'hare to LAX, and have never seen anyone as committed to their jobs as Easterwood TSA . I have oft wondered if it is a training facility. My now 6 yo was once nearly strip searched there when she was 3 and we were headed to Disneyland, I had to tell them there isn't an UZI in her Ariel sweater guys, how about a little clarity here.
wareagle044
I've always heard CLL is a training airport for TSA. Lotsa newbies.
kyledr04
AG
7 TSA people have a lot if time to waste when they only screen 40 people a hour especially since everyone's flight will be late anyway.
Bunk Moreland
AggieBarstool said:

Who complains when they aren't doing their job? My best flight days are when I get up to security and watch them all groan because something isn't right or they don't have enough staff so they just start rolling us through the old fashioned metal detector instead of the shoes off body scan to speed the lines up.

TSA is a national joke.
MemphisAg1
AG
I've flown in/out of most major and semi-major airports in the US.

CLL is in the top 3 for aggressive TSA screening procedures.

But rest assured, they protected our country numerous times from the danger of my roll-on deodorant that was 0.25 ounces more than the regulation. "Sir, you can either toss that out-of-spec contraband into the trash or miss your flight. Up to you sir." Never mind that it passes inspection everywhere else in the country.

So courteous, so brave.... such BS.

Easier to make the drive to Houston with much better flight options and avoid the harassment.
BCSWguru
Yep, Austin for me. Dont even consider CLL because of the hassle there.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Is your 90% figure for CLL, all US airports, other? That's a stat I have not anywhere before.
jeffk
AG
I love CLL, so please all of you keep not using it.
BCS-Ag
This varying perception of Easterwood is interesting to me. I fly out of Easterwood a lot, both for work and family trips. It is always my first choice BECAUSE it is so much more efficient (cheap Uber drop off AND SECURITY SCREENING are a breeze compared to IAH). The new remodel is REALLY nice and efficient as well - it doesn't even look or feel like a small town airport anymore. Heck, the jetways are nicer than most big airports, who still have you go outside for small planes.

I still feel odds are slightly higher that a flight gets cancelled or a bag gets lost, but this has happened less and less over the years. It is so much faster and less stressful to get through Easterwood that I am happy to pay up to $200 more for a flight (usually it's less than $100) rather than go through IAH.

EMY92
AG
According to this article, I was wrong. I over-estimated TSA's effectiveness. The number is based on nationwide testing.

Quote:

The news of the failure comes two years after ABC News reported that secret teams from the DHS found that the TSA failed 95 percent of the time to stop inspectors from smuggling weapons or explosive materials through screening.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-fails-tests-latest-undercover-operation-us-airports/story?id=51022188
EliteElectric
BCS-Ag said:

This varying perception of Easterwood is interesting to me. I fly out of Easterwood a lot, both for work and family trips. It is always my first choice BECAUSE it is so much more efficient (cheap Uber drop off AND SECURITY SCREENING are a breeze compared to IAH). The new remodel is REALLY nice and efficient as well - it doesn't even look or feel like a small town airport anymore. Heck, the jetways are nicer than most big airports, who still have you go outside for small planes.

I still feel odds are slightly higher that a flight gets cancelled or a bag gets lost, but this has happened less and less over the years. It is so much faster and less stressful to get through Easterwood that I am happy to pay up to $200 more for a flight (usually it's less than $100) rather than go through IAH.

I love flying out of here too for similar reasons but sometimes feel like I need a smoke and/or a nap after getting "screened"

It's still worth it to me, but I wish they would ratchet down to defcon 3 or something
MisterShipWreck
Even he hates the TSA!!!:

https://imgur.com/gallery/pfbDVKv
TXAGBQ76
AG
Thanks, I've never heard those stats before- and I fly a lot
EMY92
AG
MisterShipWreck said:

Even he hates the TSA!!!:

https://imgur.com/gallery/pfbDVKv
That dog is saying, "Nope, I don't want to be touched there!"
techno-ag
AG
LSCSN said:

Yep, Austin for me. Dont even consider CLL because of the hassle there.
I gotta say I'm a big fan of the Austin airport, too. Easy to get to, and often lower fares.
75AG
AG
I've stopped using CLL altogether. Too many cancelled flights, where I have to jump in my car, drive like a bat out of hell to Houston, arguing with United the whole way about refunding the CLL to IAH to CLL portion of my ticket.

And my damn dress shoes set off the machine every time. And in no other airport in the US. LGA, ORD, EWR, ATL, DCA, SFO, NONE.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
redd38 said:

Good to hear they're doing their jobs. Probably lots of Chinese spies flying in and out of here.
I heard the Chinese spies are flying in and out of Austin and driving to BCS. They stand out less.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
99StationAG
AG
My job allows me to "use my best judgement" on travel. I try to fly United as much as possible 1) reliability/flexibility compared to American 2) Good options outta CLL and IAH 3) Points under one airline

In saying that, I always look at CLL first. However, time options have gotten worse, prices have risen; to fly at a decent time in or out...the price spike seems outrageously, and I'm talking several weeks out.

We live south of town in Saddlecreek. With 290 FINALLY improved, I can "go out the back way" to Navasota, park in Park 'N Fly, check or carry-on, and literally be through Security and at the gate in 2 hrs. 10 min.

Hard to justify double the price most of the time out of CLL.

My two pennies...

WB '99
Post removed:
by user
99StationAG
AG
Agree...points, totally different story. I'll fly outta CLL all day!
littlebitofhifi
AG
Was delayed from DFW-CLL last night because they overfueled the plane and had to take 2000 pounds off to meet the weight limit at CLL. It's always something...

My previous hubs were LAX, JFK, and DFW so I've been locked into American forever. Hoping next year I can status match to United or Delta and start leveraging AUS or IAH more instead of CLL.
99StationAG
AG
Ding...Ding...Ding.... It is ALWAYS something with AA!!! I have literally heard it all. They are notorious for cancelling the leg back from DFW to CLL. I hate to say it, because I have some really good friends who fly for them.

I live in College Station, and will drive to IAH to fly to Tulsa for work, before I'll fly AA from CLL to DFW then Tulsa.
wasntme
Sure wish Southwest would fly out of Easterwood.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.