Wanted: Bee Hives

4,720 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by golf05
golf05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking for a few bee hives
I live in Brazos county, but would be willing to come get them in surrounding counties as well.
I am only interested in boxes with bees in them.
If you have one or more hives that you no longer want, please let me know and hopefully we can work something out.
My email is: aggielandman at gmail dot com
Thanks!
ag009
AG
I sell bees! Email sent.
happyinBCS
Weaver's are selling established hives for 325.00
studioone
I've got 15 packages coming in from rweaver in April.

Almost all my hives died last year...
maddiedou
AG
Studio

Did your bees dies from neglect or animal or disease

2nd. How hard is it to take that hit money wise or did you start with one hive and multiply

You have 15 hives coming at 325 or just small hives coming and you will build from that

Interested but you dont have to answer
maddiedou
studioone
maddiedou said:

Studio

Did your bees dies from neglect or animal or disease

2nd. How hard is it to take that hit money wise or did you start with one hive and multiply

You have 15 hives coming at 325 or just small hives coming and you will build from that

Interested but you dont have to answer

I keep about half the hives at my house and the other half out at my wedding venue, way out in the back... but its across the street from the Weavers queen yard, so I get free weaver genetics..

so last year, we had to do some plumbing work at the house, which involved moving all my hives out to the wedding venue. However, from my parking lot to the bees is about 8-900 yards... or so.. and from October till march last year, it rained.. almost twice a week,.. ad I could not get my truck back there to feed and treat for mites.. I got my truck stuck about 6 times in 7 days.... so they didn't have enought stores and couldn't treat for mites.

My packages im getting are $175 from Rweaver. I 've got tons of hardware, just no bees..

one hive did survive, but its small and I don't think the queen is very good..

I started with 2 hives..... and I offer sometimes free bee removals just for the bees, but thats not as fun as it used to be.... so while I could start with just dividing up the one hive, I decided to just get 15 packages.... maybe make ONE split off each... and try to have at least one box of stores for winter.

so while it wasn't really neglect, or disease, it kinda was.... I blame the rain.. and mud..

Gig Em5014
AG
I'd be interested in talking with you. Could you email me? osborn_zack at yahoo
ag009
AG
Just sent you an email!

Just like last year, it is shaping up to be an early and robust spring. Of course all that can change with some unexpected weather, but my boxes are booming. But I expect we will see an uptick in swarms the next 70+ degree day.

For all you potential Beekeepers, we'd love to have you join us at our monthly meetings. Third Tuesday of the month, 6pm newbee class and 7pm general speaker at First Christian Church in Bryan.

maddiedou
AG
Yep. I had a guy that had bees on my 7 acres Indian lakes and mites got them and that was what I was wondering and why I have not tried to have bee hives
maddiedou
studioone
maddiedou said:

Yep. I had a guy that had bees on my 7 acres Indian lakes and mites got them and that was what I was wondering and why I have not tried to have bee hives
Check with me in April... darrin at avalonweddingsbcs dot com...

If you want, I can stick a few of the hives out there but I treat for mites twice a year.

just need access...

d
maddiedou
AG
You can text me at 979-eight two o -l87o Gary

I have a good garden if you dont have one that when you come over to treat bees and during.
maddiedou
golf05
Thank y'all for the messages.
I'm really just looking for someone who has some hives, but no longer wants the hassle of managing them.
If I don't find what I'm looking for, then I will be contacting one of y'all to get some bees.
studioone
few people want to get rid of them.. Usually they're in it for the long haul...

Your best bet is to come get some old comb from me, stick it in an empty hive, and douse it with lemon grass oil..

I usually have about a 50%. chance of catching a swarm that way.
BrazosDog02
AG
I've had better luck with "wild bees" than I have any of the weaver genetics, much like studio suggested above. I just completed 7 out of 15 swarm traps for the season. My aggressive and ornery hives do really well. I wouldn't recommend this for beginners as you just don't know what kind of bees you're going to get, but once you get a few years under your belt it might be an option for free bees. Strong hives stick around and do great, weak ones don't but that's ok, freeze the frames and put a new swarm in when you catch it.

Something to keep in mind.
studioone
there is an official beech group that chats nightly around 8-9pm....

Tell them Avalon invited u..

https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4@HY_hmJ
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- on the Topic of Bees.. I wish more homeowners / bug guys would realize the effect many/ most pesticides have on Bees in general .

There's methods / products that are more "Bee Friendly" that costs fractions a cents more to use.

If you Nuke everything, Bees which come into contact with pesticides add extra stress to colonies.

A few years from now hopefully the bad pesticides get pulled from the shelfs that effect this the most ( the EU is having issues with Bees and already banning the bug juice of years past )

ag009
AG
For anyone who was seriously interested, I have 3 nucs ready to go now. Boomers!
studioone
katlong said:

For anyone who was seriously interested, I have 3 nucs ready to go now. Boomers!

Italians, mutts? How much?
TxFig
AG
golf05 said:

Thank y'all for the messages.
I'm really just looking for someone who has some hives, but no longer wants the hassle of managing them.
If I don't find what I'm looking for, then I will be contacting one of y'all to get some bees.

A complete hive setup full of bees is worth between $300-$500. I don't think you'll find too many people just giving them away.

In addition to our local club (https://www.bvbeeks.org/), there will be a FREE "Beginning Beekeeping" class at Producer's Cooperative THIS Saturday (March 10), at 10am. It's just a 1 hour class, but it is designed to give you enough information to help you decide if you want to learn more.

--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
ag009
AG
$225 with refundable nuc box return deposit of $25. They are headed by Art Thomas queens out of Rockdale. Been breeding queens for 4 generations.
scatron
AG
katlong said:

For all you potential Beekeepers, we'd love to have you join us at our monthly meetings. Third Tuesday of the month, 6pm newbee class and 7pm general speaker at First Christian Church in Bryan.
Would "potential beekeepers" who have no way of having a hive for probably a few years be welcome? I don't have the yard for it so I am a long-term potential, I guess. I still love bees though and want to continue learning about them.
ag009
AG
Absolutely!! All are welcome anytime. Doing the learning before getting bees is the way to go!!
maddiedou
AG
studioone said:

Your best bet is to come get some old comb from me, stick it in an empty hive, and douse it with lemon grass oil..

I have bees in my yapons and was wondering if i could get an old comb. And do the above. Not trying to start a hive. I hope you can do that but just to keep them near my garden

Let me onow. 979-eight two o - l87o. Gary
maddiedou
golf05
Thank y'all for all of the info.
I'm going to try to set out some bee traps when I get some time.
But, it the meantime, I would like to get a hive.
Apparently my previous post was not clear....I am not looking for a free hive.
I am willing to purchase a hive. I just don't want a nuc if possible
Please let me know if you have one or two hives available to purchase.
happyinBCS
Weavers has them as posted above
golf05
I hadn't see the post that Weavers sold complete hives. Thanks for the info!
ag009
AG
golf05 said:

Thank y'all for all of the info.
I'm going to try to set out some bee traps when I get some time.
But, it the meantime, I would like to get a hive.
Apparently my previous post was not clear....I am not looking for a free hive.
I am willing to purchase a hive. I just don't want a nuc if possible
Please let me know if you have one or two hives available to purchase.

I'm only selling nucs at this time (maybe sell hives later in the season), but here are others locally that could likely sell you an entire set up even if they say "sold out". They are good, trustworthy beekeepers. BeeWeavers of course is an excellent option as well. Happy Beekeeping!

https://www.etzzzbzzz.com/shop
https://primebees.com/
ag009
AG
maddiedou said:

studioone said:

I have bees in my yapons and was wondering if i could get an old comb. And do the above. Not trying to start a hive. I hope you can do that but just to keep them near my garden

Let me onow. 979-eight two o - l87o. Gary
The best way to keep bees near your garden (without owning a hive) is to have a continual supply of plants for them that blossom as the spring/summer goes on. Bees will find you. Putting out comb in a box to trying to bait a swarm is valid, but once you catch it....you have a hive.
maddiedou
AG
Thanks. I got that also. Just wanted to see if the comb thing would work. If They mad a hive would I have to manage it or can they mange it themselves if I do not want the honey
maddiedou
studioone
bees don't need humans... so they'll be fine.. Eventually a hive will grow so big that it'll divide and half the bees will fly off and go live in someone's wall/attic/tree/bucket/garage/tire/soffit/facia/abandoned car/Not abandoned car/mailbox etc etc... so maybe once a year I could divide it up for you... and I get new bees..

I also have old comb if u need some to try...
but a splash of lemon grass oil is a great bait... apparently it smells like a queen.. I also have a supply..

d
studioone

but honestly, don't worry about it.. you'll have plenty of bees if u have plenty of flowers...

Reason I say this is at my wedding venue, across the street is the Weavers Queen yard, and they have sometimes up to 500 hives across the street... and I don't see a lot of bees there, even though I have more flowers than most people.

SO im saying bees are bees, they do their thing.... so even if you put a hive at home, there is no guarantee that your bees will use your flowers.... they may fly up to 6 miles away to get their food...

and the bees 6 miles away may come to your house just for your flowers....

and Chinese tallow is the #1 tree for honey in texas..

basketaggie
AG
I've just called 2 pest control places in the last 15 minutes. We had a ton of bees set up shop in our house in what seems like the last 12 hours. Have killed 3 that got inside. If you guys can use them you are more than welcome to them. I'd rather see them re-homed than killed. I am allergic to them.
studioone
like just a few bees or a glob the size of a basketball?

3 isn't a swarm.... a basketball size glob is something I can get...

are they in your walls?

need to know whats going on.. random bees are not something I can deal with..

look around in the yard and see if u can see a swarm..
basketaggie
AG
They just showed up this morning. Getting in the cracks of the house and chimney. You can just. Watch a bunch of them out the windows. The 3 were just those that got in the house.
studioone
you might want to go get some silicone caulk and seal up all the cracks that you see them coming in and out of...

if its a swarm, trying to find a home, and they REALLLY like the space inside your wall..

if they establish a colony in your walls, I did one removal once where the colony was 16 inches wide by 8 feet long... and I had to cut a hole in the wall that size... if you don't remove the comb, bees just come back every year and make a new hive...

I REALLY suggest you seal up the cracks... asap...I'd do it at night...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.