Spring Little League

3,352 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Lex
Lex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This Spring is my child's first season playing, the tryouts have him worried. For those that have done this what are they looking for? Basic skills? He is 5 and will be playing t-ball. I just want to have something to tell him so he can be assured he knows what hes doing and has nothing to worry about.
Thanks in advance.
ShinerBlonde
AG
They shouldn't have tryouts that young? Mine didn't start evaluations till he was much further along. We just did Senior Minor tryouts and it was literally 5 minutes of catching, fielding and batting a couple of times. Took me longer to drive there.
Lex
The email I got said tryouts are mandatory. That may change as things move forward. I just assumed it was to equalize the team's and make sure no one is stacked with a whole bunch of Benny's.
ShinerBlonde
AG
At 5 they are all picking dandelions in the outfield and being told when to run. It's super cute and none of them are any good. No worries.
Vinewood_03
Come to Harvey Little League. No tryouts for TBall. Doesn't matter where you live for TBall. Great family atmosphere.
aggiepaintrain
AG
sounds like upward
EliteElectric
2nd Harvey LL
Lex
Well dang, I went with United because his 2 little buddies from his school play United. But now I know better for next year.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
That is ridiculous to have try outs for 5yr olds. Geez.
Jinx
Odd. We played Fall Ball with CSLL this past year and there were no tryouts for T-Ball. We are playing with Harvey LL this spring and also no tryouts for LL. Ours is 5yo. Excited to see people saying positive things about Harvey though, I was worried because I was getting communications for CSLL and I hadn't heard anything from Harvey. We're looking forward to it and the kid has been asking since fall ended when he can play again
Lex
Well then maybe the email was just the general email and I shouldn't take it seriously for his age group.
gettingitdone
All of my kids played local little league for years and have never ever seen try-outs for T-Ball.
cajunken
I have coached for CSLL for a few years, and the "tryouts" are actually skills evaluation sessions to help equalize the talent levels on the teams. Anyone who signs up will be placed on a team, so it is not a true "tryout." The last year I coached was for the Senior league (15-16 year olds), which had enough kids for two teams. After the skills evaluations, the other coach and I just divided up the teams as equally as we could. I had one kid on the team who had never played organized baseball before. Like I said, everyone who signs up will be on a team.
Bunk Moreland
assessing talent levels to even out teams in t-ball is ridiculous. It's ridiculous in coach pitch. 7 year old off the pitching machine? Fine.
EVA3
AG
There are no tryouts or evaluations for tee-ball in CSLL.
Stupe
S
CSLL tries to field t-ball teams by neighborhood or carpool groups.

Having tryouts or evaluations for t-ball is ridiculous.
BetsyParker
AG
Bryan National Little League does not do assessments until Sr. Minor level. At that level and older, assessments are used to help ensure the teams end up with equitable talent.

T-ball and Jr. Minor (machine pitch) teams are formed based on birthdays to help ensure that each team has an equitable age distribution.

Your child can play in any Little League he/she wants. Playing in your assigned league boundary only matters for All-Stars, so if your child is not interested in extended season play, you can (and perhaps should) play in a league that is convenient/comfortable for you.
BetsyParker
AG
I would imagine you might be able to get a refund if you ask. If they have not purchased uniforms on your child's behalf then they are likely to refund your money.
Bullpen Chias
AG
They'll throw or hit them a few grounders, maybe a fly ball, watch them catch and probably swing a bat.
dodger02
AG
You know what's worse than watching a bunch of kids who have no idea what they're doing play tee-ball? Watching a team full of said kids play against a group of behemoths who do and then getting their brains beaten in every...single...game.

Who enjoys losing games 25-0 every single week? That'll drain the fun out of the sport real quickly.

"Tryouts" (a skills assessment followed by a quick draft) are simply a way to even out the talent level on the teams. Sure, they could pull names out of a hat instead of holding a draft. But, that wouldn't ensure competitive balance. A good league would look to make sure that every tee-ball team is evenly matched.

Tell your kiddo to have fun and do his best. As was said earlier, they'll hit him some soft grounders, watch him throw, have him hit a little bit, and then let him run the bases. It'll be fun and over quickly.
boredatwork08
AG
CSLL is forming tball and coach pitch teams based off league age, parent-reported skill level, and prior sports experience. We're hoping this will create more balanced teams, especially since coach pitch is introducing some rules to make games more competitive.
iisanaggie
AG
We have played with United for several years. According to the FAQ on the website, tryouts/evaluations are just for the minor and major divisions which does NOT include t-ball. All players in all divisions make a team, so calling it a "tryout" is not really accurate either. Maybe they changed it and forgot to update the website. Having an evaluation is not really a bad thing if they do. In theory, they can try to even out the teams as much as possible.
TAMU1990
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Tell that to ORWALL (The Woodlands LL). Serious business!

But in reality, what it was used for was to divide the better players away from the rec players. There were two divisions per age group - AAA and AA. The better players were placed in AAA. My oldest started his baseball playing days at ORWALL. There are significant differences between kids that can play and those who don't. And it all starts with throwing a baseball.

When a 8-9 year old is throwing some serious cheese the last thing you want is some kid who has just picked up a bat and glove (especially) getting hurt.
Stupe
S
Lex is talking about T-ball.

Those aren't 8-9 year olds.
Stupe
S
Quote:

You know what's worse than watching a bunch of kids who have no idea what they're doing play tee-ball?
A whole LOT of things.

Adults that don't see the humor in kids that age looking at a helicopter, running the wrong way, or running into the outfield to avoid a tag are missing the pure innocence of kids playing a game.
Jinx
Wendy 1990 said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

When a 8-9 year old is throwing some serious cheese the last thing you want is some kid who has just picked up a bat and glove (especially) getting hurt.

Reminds me of this kid on my boys tball team last fall. He could really launch them (4yo), and once we got him to aim somewhat he was throwing them from ss to 1st(ish) and overthrowing the adult coaches there who underestimated him. Always got a few laughs from the parents - and cheers of course! On the same team we had kids playing with dead bugs and grass, and the first game we had one run past first and into our neighbors game! /shrug

It's TBall - have fun!

I am a little nervous about all my weeknights disappearing though...
TAMU1990
AG
Stupe said:

Lex is talking about T-ball.

Those aren't 8-9 year olds.
I know, but they also divide them up starting at Tball. There were 6 year old All Stars back in the day! Silly, but there were some great players on those teams for my oldest son (many collegiate players). It only gets worse for rec players as they get older if they don't separate them out.
Lex
I just wanted to reassure him he has nothing to worry about. I never meant for this to be a big debate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.