19 % SuddenLink price increase

11,129 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggiepaintrain
cs69ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got my monthly invoice today. My cost went from $138 to $164. No new services or speed. Been a customer since they took over here. My cost is tv with sports package and internet that is not their fastest. No phone.

Would appreciate suggestions for alternatives that are reliable to save some money! $164 per month is a lot of money.

I don't know about streaming.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

thanks in advance
Psychag
AG
Keep Suddenlink internet and use YouTube TV.
cs69ag
AG
Thanks
How do I use You Tube tv?
cz308
Google YouTubeTv and sign up. Similar to Hulu and some of the other streaming services.
cs69ag
AG
Thanks, will check it out
Justified
Ours was $218 per month. It got hard shelling that out for cable. We didn't have any premium channels.
We kept their internet and went to just using YouTube tv and Netflix. We also get Disney plus free with Verizon, that keeps the kids happy. It takes getting used too.
Wvpd0707
AG
Call suddenlink and ask for the retention department and hopefully they will work with you to get you a better rate to keep you as a customer.
Kbeauty63
AG
What is the retention #? My bill jumped $30 - I have been a customer for over 20 years - called 2 times and got NOWHERE. Satellite is not an option. Bundle phone, internet & cable with them
Goose83
AG
Get a Firestick and Sling TV.
cs69ag
AG
what is firestick and sling tv??
BrazosWifi
cs69ag said:

what is firestick and sling tv??

A firestick is a device you plug into your TV. Another device is the ROKU.

Each of those devices can be used to view monthly internet TV services such as SlingTV, Hulu, YouTube TV (my favorite), Netflix, Disney+, and more.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Aggies76
AG
How do you watch Aggie sports if you give up cable? Does YouTube tv provide that?
Psychag
AG
Yes YTTV has all the major ESPN channels including SEC Network. With fire stick or Roku you can download the ESPN App for any streamed games.
AggieBarstool
Aggies76 said:

How do you watch Aggie sports if you give up cable? Does YouTube tv provide that?
All the major streaming brands (Sling, YoutubeTV, ATT TV Now, Hulu, etc.) have sport bundled in. Some are better than others (like YoutubeTV -- sports is their schtick). Many of these services also bundle in ESPN+ access in case you can't get the game directly.

You can always get an over-the-air antenna to pick up local broadcasts, assuming no blackouts.

In short -- not an issue to watch Aggie sports without Suddenlink cable TV.
Aggies76
AG
Thanks Barstool and Psychag
saturn135
I just "cut the cord" with DirectTV, I was paying $160/month for 10-15 channels that I actually watched. Subscribed to Hulu Live and get all the major channels including local KBTX and sport channels including SEC Network and movies for $60/month. I'm also on a rural internet connection with no problems streaming. Win win for me.

If you have a smart TV, it is likely you already have the Hulu or YouTube apps built into the TV and would not need a firestick or Roku device.
saltydog13
AG
What did you have to make your directv bill $160?
saturn135
The middle "Choice" package. $118 for channels, $28 for "equipment services", $11 in taxes and fees. With streaming services available and the fact that most of the channels for satellite are not worth watching, I would expect cable and satellite companies may price themselves out of the market soon.
saltydog13
AG
I know it's hindsight since you cut the cord, but did you not try to call and get discounts? I have that exact setup and my bill is half of what yours was
KaneIsAble
AG
saltydog13 said:

What did you have to make your directv bill $160?

I can answer; 4 boxes will get you there quickly with a mid-tier package.
Bunk Moreland
If you're going to be streaming more, use Roku! Not only is it the best platform out there (way better than chromecast, firestick apple tv etc), the founder & CEO is an Ag
gettingitdone
We dropped cable and phone about a year ago. We kept the internet and stream everything. We pay about $50 a month. We were able to lock in the $39.99 for life offer and it was great
montegobay
We have them for internet only. Bill increased $10 this month.
TxFig
AG
Psychag said:

Keep Suddenlink internet and use YouTube TV.

This is EXACTLY what did ...

well... kinda. I live outside the city limits, so I can't even get Suddenlink for internet (GAWD, I wish I could). Still, I cancelled DirecTV (~$160/mo) and signed up for Youtube.TV ($50/mo). It carries every channel I want except for A&E.

For YOUR viewing preferences, use this to determine your best choice

https://www.suppose.tv/tv
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
saturn135
My bill for the first year was half that, once you get to the second year of the contract it doubles.
cs69ag
AG
I called retention at SL. They reduced my $138 for cable and internet to $126. Plus giving me 6 mos. of Showtime
and locking my rate for one year.. Remember they sent me a new bill for $164. Worth the call!

When I said I wanted to cancel cable and asked for the total fee for the internet, they quoted $50 with all taxes and fees. So with $50 per month for YTTV, it would be cheaper to do that, although I would have to buy several RUKUs for multiple tvs, but one time cost that I would recover spending a little over $100 per month.

For now, staying with SL. Thanks for all the discussion and advice!
BrandoC
AG
Thats my problem. I watch A&E more than any other channel. Did you supplement it with another cheap streaming service?
Charli
Out of principle, we steam Roku, HULU, Netflix and Prime.
Aggie
AG
We just dropped Direct - Tv , was pushing $170 month and wasn't even a premium package

So went with suddenlink, guy came out other day to hook up.
Have 5 TV's to hook up and he only hooked up 4
One of the 4 doesn't work, we just get a " one moment please" message
Our main Tv.. all the " local" channels , CBS, ABC, NBC ect are all off the wall Spanish channels ??

So yeah I think this suddenlink thing will be short lived
TexasAggie_02
AG
Usually, when you call to cancel, they will ask why, and when you tell them it's too expensive, they will drop it back down for awhile.
Gigem314
AG
We've had the internet only 200 mbps package for 3 years and they just raised it to $104/mo. They've raised the price at least 3 times in the last 2 years since our first year 'promo' deal was over. I use my own equipment. And we certainly aren't getting anything more for the additional 'price'.

I truly hate that they are the only high speed option in this area.
Thisguy1
All of the internet prices you see for suddenlink, including the "for life" options, are for new customers. My brother got internet for $60/month and has YouTube tv. My internet price was $120/month because I've been a longtime customer. This was around September.
UglyScientist
Gigem314 said:

We've had the internet only 200 mbps package for 3 years and they just raised it to $104/mo. They've raised the price at least 3 times in the last 2 years since our first year 'promo' deal was over. I use my own equipment. And we certainly aren't getting anything more for the additional 'price'.

I truly hate that they are the only high speed option in this area.

I've had this same package for probably about 3 or 4 years as well. I only have Internet, don't rent anything from them and my bill just went up from $104 to $115. I feel like my bill goes up twice a year every year. I've called multiple times, but I'm never able to get anything lowered. They infuriate me.
saturn135
Rise Broadband: $58.52/month
Hulu: $60/month
texasaggie04
AG
I have Internet only, bill went up 20% this month. I cannot wait until the day we get more options (hurry up, somebody). The schadenfreude at seeing how many people drop Suddenlink will make me so happy inside.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.