Did anybody hear or feel what sounded like an explosion (Bryan)

4,300 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CanyonAg77
(Removed:11023A)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live by villa Maria and 2818 and I'm seating on the couch and all of a sudden the house shook and it felt like either the wave of an explosion hit the house or something hit my house hard. It freaked me out!
It was around 12:27, I walked the outside of my house and went thru every room and attic and nothing.
Claytond1195
AG
Heard & felt it in Reliance. 1179/2038. Rusty Surette is reporting on it, but no one seems to know what it was.
Rapier108

And for anyone who wants to listen in.

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/2543

It sounds like they're narrowing it down to somewhere around Sandy Point an OSR as they've been getting reports of windows blown out in that area.

Edit: They found it, off of Sandy Point Road. Some kind of tank explosion, but no fire.
Claytond1195
AG
Hearing tank explosion on the police scanner. Sandy Point/OSR.
AG
Well at least I know I'm not going crazy!!

I hope everybody is ok
medicalag
AG
We heard it on Leonard not far from the Expo. I felt the house shake
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rapier108
Claytond1195 said:

Hearing tank explosion on the police scanner. Sandy Point/OSR.
When the police drove up to the scene, apparently there were some people from the oil company (won't say who I think it is in case I misheard it) already on site and the dispatcher asked "and they're alive?!"
Claytond1195
AG
I noticed on the maps there's a house right next door. Hopefully no one got injured. That was a heck of an explosion
Rapier108
Claytond1195 said:

I noticed on the maps there's a house right next door. Hopefully no one got injured. That was a heck of an explosion
Yeah, I looked at that as well and assuming it is the one we both think it is, my first thought was it had to have taken a lot of damage. Hopefully no one was home at the time or at least no one was injured.

Haven't heard any calls for medics in that area so hopefully no one was hurt.
AG
I just heard a couple of sirens but they stop fairly quickly so it most be something else.
unmade bed
Heard it in south college station. Sounded like a gunshot in the distance. Didnt think much of it.
trouble
AG
We heard it and it shook our patio doors here. We're roughly at Villa Maria and Carter Creek.
AggieKatie2
AG
Thought somebody crashed into our garage door. Jumped out of bed, ran to front door only to hear/see absolutely nothing.
91_Aggie
AG
Well that explains that. I was on the edge of sleep and thought someone hit our house with something or someone slammed our front door as hard as they could.

Exact thing as when we had that big explosion near Brenham in the early 90s
armymom
Sound asleep last night and didn't hear it. But I sure remember the one near Brenham. Windows were open and my mini blinds blew horizontal!
Birddog
AG
I was up watching TV. My garage door shook and I swear someone was trying to get in. My motion lights were not activated but I still kept an eye out for someone.
techno-ag
AG
First some guys passed away from a rig accident, now this. I hope with the price of oil dropping we don't see more of this.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Didn't hear it, but my dogs went nuts and woke us up.
AggieBaseball06
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Possible-explosion-at-Chesapeake-Energy-site-rocks-Brazos-County-567689551.html
MsDoubleD81
AG
Stupid question, but what was in the tanks?
saltydog13
AG
What does the price of oil have to do with these accidents?
91_Aggie
AG
saltydog13 said:

He's jumping to the conclusion that energy companies are cutting corners now because the profit margins they were getting when oil was high is now dropping.

It's what busybodies on the internet do.
techno-ag
AG
saltydog13 said:

Serious answer unlike the troll above, as Chesapeake makes less per well their safety lapses appear to increase. They now have an abysmal record in the Brazos Valley.
KaneIsAble
AG
Except you don't know that it was Chesapeake's fault for any of this yet. You're already assuming they made an error when there are other variables to consider.

Example one, CC Forbes was hooked up on their well; how do you know it wasn't their negligence? (That event is tragic and do not let this discussion take away from that loss of life.)

And for the record, I don't work for anything tied to Chesapeake but am in the industry.
KaneIsAble
AG
The fact that there was no fire leads me to believe produced water.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Like saltwater disposal or whatever they call it??
KaneIsAble
AG
Without getting too far in the weeds here, water is a byproduct of oil and gas production that has to be dealt with just like the oil and gas. All that equipment on site separates it out so there are tanks for each that hold the product until it can be transported away.
91_Aggie
AG
techno-ag said:

saltydog13 said:

Serious answer unlike the troll above, as Chesapeake makes less per well their safety lapses appear to increase. They now have an abysmal record in the Brazos Valley.
That seems to match exactly what I said.
CanyonAg77
AG
We had a 4.0 earthquake in the Amarillo area a few months ago. It was a lot like the descriptions above. No shaking, just a boom and the odd feeling that something hit the house.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.