TABC sting at Northgate bar - Updated summary of events and conclusions

4,096 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 91_Aggie
Brian Alg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The following is a summary of facts based on what I have learned from several Open Records Requests to TABC, conversations with TABC officials, and conversations with the current County Attorney and both Republican candidates for County Attorney:

Based on the video evidence, it appears that TABC Agent Jonathan Jergins committed a Class A misdemeanor by furnishing a minor informant with alcohol during one of a series of stings on the night of September 16, 2016.

That night, Agent Jergins told the identification team that the bartender sold alcohol to the minor informant.

The bartender was charged with selling alcohol to a minor that night.

Days later
- The minor informant swore to a false (based on video evidence) affidavit that said that the bartender had served her the beer.
- The case agent, TABC Agent Meyers, created a report indicating that the bartender had sold the minor informant the beer after not checking her ID.
- Agent Jergins wrote a supplemental report indicating that the bartender had sold the minor informant the beer after checking her ID.

During an internal affairs interview, Agent Jergins said that he, the case agent, and presumably the Assistant County Attorney discussed the discrepancy in the reports regarding whether or not the bartender checked ID.

Agent Jergins testified at trial that if he had hypothetically given the minor a beer during the sting this would be a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine.

After Agent Jergins' testimony, the bartender's attorney showed the video of Agent Jergins (not the bartender) giving the beer to the minor.

Despite this new evidence the Assistant County Attorney, rather than dropping the charges, moved forward with the case. The jury found the bartender not guilty.

During the TABC internal affairs investigation, Agent Jergins indicated that his only regret regarding what he put in his report is that he wished he would have put in less detail and left out who took the beer off the bar.

TABC Executive Director Bentley Nettles indicated that the TABC "found no wrongdoing on the part of Agent Jergins," when Agent Jergins was caught on video committing the Class A misdemeanor of furnishing a minor with alcohol and then reported and testified that it was the bartender that served her the beer.

TABC updated procedure to have Agents write reports the night of the sting. Agent Jergins falsely told the identification team that the bartender committed the crime on the night of the sting. Given he was falsely describing events that night, there is no reason to think writing them down will prevent this in the future.

The TABC public relations officer indicated that Agent Jergins did not break the law for possession of alcohol by a minor since she was under the supervision of a peace officer during a sting. The public relations officer has not responded since I reminded him that Agent Jergins committed the offense of providing a minor with alcohol, not for possession of alcohol by a minor.

The current County Attorney and both Republican candidates for County Attorney have indicated that they will not make any changes to their procedures in dealing with TABC cases in light of the incident (e.g., by requiring video evidence in stings).

District Attorney Parsons did not indict Agent Jergins for perjury. His office was the only one presenting to the grand jury. Only 9 of 12 grand jurors needed to determine probable cause (not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt or anything) in order to indict. His office almost certainly bent over backwards to get the "no-bill" finding. I have trouble believing any practicing attorney could be so incompetent to get that result without trying.

Government agents' committing crimes then falsely testifying against citizens is a big deal. TABC administration covering for these agents' bad actions is a big deal. The District Attorney apparently bending over backwards to cover for these bad actions is a big deal. The County Attorney's refusing to change procedure (e.g., requiring video evidence) in light of these bad actions is a big deal.

In Conclusion:

• TABC, as it is now, appears to be incapable of needed reform Executive Director Nettles should resign or be fired;

• District Attorney Parsons is either exceptionally incompetent or (more likely) is unwilling to hold government agents accountable for falsely testifying against Brazos County citizens and he probably needs to be replaced;

• The candidates for County Attorney need to publicly commit to protecting the citizens of Brazos County and not turn a blind eye to state agents coming in to falsely testify against Brazos County citizens.
  • Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
    Donny Hall
    TABC is going to make mistakes just like law enforcement and they will make improvements. I dont know all the facts but here are some more details:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/TABC-changing-investigation-procedures-after-agent-accused-of-perjury-in-Brazos-County-511209791.html

"We agree that this case has revealed some flaws in how underage compliance operations are conducted. As public servants, we have a responsibility to identify our shortcomings and to do better. As soon as TABC leadership was made aware of this case, we began a formal review of the underage compliance operation that took place in September 2016 and looked across the board for areas where improvement is needed.
    Since then, we've instituted changes to the way underage compliance operations are conducted in order to ensure accurate information is recorded by participating agents immediately after each inspection. We'll continue to look for other ways to improve in the coming weeks.
    TABC views this as a learning opportunity. Texans have a right to expect the very best from their law enforcement agents, and the lessons learned from this case will go toward improving our agents and our processes for years to come."

As someone that interacts with a lot of law enforcement and lawyers, I think Jarvis is doing a great job and our county attorneys bust their ass with an enormous case load. I would be interested for a follow up from the bartender and Craig.
    zannlaw
    Quote:

TABC is going to make mistakes just like law enforcement and they will make improvements.

Is lying considered a mistake? This type of behavior would end in a termination in most law enforcement agencies. A proven history of honesty is of the utmost importance for credibility for the agency and in court.

Then there is this:
    Quote:

Agent Jergins indicated that his only regret regarding what he put in his report is that he wished he would have put in less detail and left out who took the beer off the bar.
    That is not a person expressing remorse or regret for a mistake they made. That is a person looking to hide their misdeeds. Agent Jergins should have no credibility in a court of law and the fact that his upper management is covering for his misdeed indicates a very troubled institution.
    91_Aggie
    AG
    Donny Hall said:

TABC is going to make mistakes just like law enforcement and they will make improvements. I dont know all the facts but here are some more details:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/TABC-changing-investigation-procedures-after-agent-accused-of-perjury-in-Brazos-County-511209791.html

"We agree that this case has revealed some flaws in how underage compliance operations are conducted. As public servants, we have a responsibility to identify our shortcomings and to do better. As soon as TABC leadership was made aware of this case, we began a formal review of the underage compliance operation that took place in September 2016 and looked across the board for areas where improvement is needed.
    Since then, we've instituted changes to the way underage compliance operations are conducted in order to ensure accurate information is recorded by participating agents immediately after each inspection. We'll continue to look for other ways to improve in the coming weeks.
    TABC views this as a learning opportunity. Texans have a right to expect the very best from their law enforcement agents, and the lessons learned from this case will go toward improving our agents and our processes for years to come."

As someone that interacts with a lot of law enforcement and lawyers, I think Jarvis is doing a great job and our county attorneys bust their ass with an enormous case load. I would be interested for a follow up from the bartender and Craig.
    Wow! This explains a lot about the moderation on Texags if "Staff" can read all that occurred and somehow still defend this as a "mistake".

Seriously.
    This was not a mistake.
    This was an LEO lying straight-up about what occurred, then later saying his only regret/mistake was putting "too much detail" in his report.

You can't defend that. You can't defend how he was not at least fired, even though he should have been fired,the prosecuted and found guilty based on his perjury in court and the video evidence.

Unbelievable that anyone would give any benefit of the doubt here.

Donny Hall
    I'm not a moderator, I'm just a video dude with a staff tag.

But it's not like you're the type to draw a quick wild conclusion.

Edit: I just need to create a separate account so people don't confuse my personal views with that of the TexAgs or a moderator.
    histag10
    AG
    See, now that is a mistake that you are taking responsibility for, and implementing a change to prevent this confusion in the future.

TABC (and Agent Jergins) has done none of that.
    Donny Hall
    I'm also a few beers deep and slow to draw conclusions because I don't have a lot of context. I will always defend people I know to be good. When Jarvis's name came into play it cast disbelief because I don't see him capable of taking it easy on anyone.

The more I read - the crazier this entire thing looks. This probably isn't the best way to spend a Friday night haha
    histag10
    AG
    My initial reaction at the onset of all this was similar. I like tot think most public servants are good.

But as this all progressed and more and more came out, it really just seems like a completely botched situation on so many levels.
    taxpreparer
    AG
    This happened more than three years ago. I don't think the OP rushed to conclusions.
    ***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
    AggieBaseball06
    AG
    Donny Hall said:

I'm also a few beers deep and slow to draw conclusions because I don't have a lot of context. I will always defend people I know to be good. When Jarvis's name came into play it cast disbelief because I don't see him capable of taking it easy on anyone.

The more I read - the crazier this entire thing looks. This probably isn't the best way to spend a Friday night haha

This case made me lose all respect for Jarvis Parsons. There was enough evidence there to at least let a jury decide if TABC had broken a law.

Edit: Spelling
    Mr.Short-termMemory
    AG
    Donny Hall said:

The only people he takes it easy on is law enforcement. The scrutiny on their actions as "mistakes," while with any other citizen would be a "lie" and a crime. I've seen numerous situations where this applies.
    Al Bula
    AG
    TABC is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such!

EDIT: from the original thread, I commented about the tabc and/or agent being not a nice person due to lying under oath and it was definitely edited. I am NOT questioning moderation but there's definitely a pro-TABC sentiment on texags. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

From the original thread last year:

Link to thread:

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3024583/2#discussion
    91_Aggie
    AG
    Donny Hall said:

Edit: I just need to create a separate account so people don't confuse my personal views with that of the TexAgs or a moderator.
    It's not a quick, wild conclusion. This story was posted here when it first came out in the original court decision.
    This LEO should have been suspended immediately after the trial where the video evidence came out, then tried for perjury and convicted based on the evidence.
    He is scum.
    woodiewood1
    He should be fired for being an idiot for not knowing that there were videos that covered everywhere in the bar.
    techno-ag
    AG
    91_Aggie said:

Donny Hall said:

It's not a quick, wild conclusion. This story was posted here when it first came out in the original court decision.
    Perhaps you should have bumped the original instead of starting a new thread. Not everybody was here three years ago.
    BQ_90
    AG
    woodiewood1 said:

He should be fired for being an idiot for not knowing that there were videos that covered everywhere in the bar.
    I don't think it was clear that there where videos of the bar. My guess is that's why the defense attorney waited until the TABC agent perjured himself to use it in defense of his client.

IMO if I own I bar and haven't installed cameras I'm doing so ASAP, because the DA has shown that that TABC can lie and do anything and get backed up on it.

91_Aggie
    AG
    techno-ag said:

91_Aggie said:

Donny Hall said:

Perhaps you should have bumped the original instead of starting a new thread. Not everybody was here three years ago.
    Because I didn't start the new thread.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.